Auto Simple and secure cloud storage boutiques-francophones SmartSaver Countdown to Black Friday in Home & Kitchen Kindle Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Tools

Format: Blu-rayChange

Showing 1-10 of 14 reviews(4 star).Show all reviews
on July 6, 2004
People just adore Annie Hall. I like Annie Hall. Manhattan and Hannah and Her Sisters work better for me but I can think of about a billion worse ways to spend 90 minutes than watching Annie Hall. Even though I'm not particularly charmed by it, I freely admit Annie Hall is better than 98% of all American movies ever. Funny, smart and endearingly offbeat. Certainly worth the going price.
on September 12, 2003
Frankly I like Woody Allen a lot less than most of my friends, mainly because he seems to have only a very shaky grip on the difference between a movie and an ego-trip. And this film is in many ways a case in point, heavily self congratulatory, to a great extent a self-absorbed documentary about how hard it is being Woody Allen and what a terribly witty fellow he is. So much for the funk. But that said, as ego-trips go, this ego trip is at times extremely funny. And this movie, like the later �Manhatten� and the earlier �Play It Again Sam� comes from his best period: after he had given up making mildly amusing slapstick comedies like �Bananas� but before he allowed himself to sink so far up his own bottom that the desire to strangle him takes over any other possible response. Grouching aside, if you want an effective and telling but affectionate send-up of the world of the �New York Jewish left wing liberal intellectual Central Park West Brandeis University - socialist summer camps...� and the daft but very human hang-ups of the people who live there, you probably can�t do a lot better. But, hey, sorry, he�s no Groucho Marx.
on March 5, 2001
I didn't want to rate the movie, because I'm still not quite sure of how I feel about 'Annie Hall', but amazon wouldn't let me skip the ratings, so keep in mind that my current ratings may not be the same after I view 'Annie Hall' again. There are endless praisings about 'Annie Hall'. That's one of the main reasons why I bought the dvd version. Plus, it was rated as AFI'S 100 Greatest movie hits, not to mention that Diane Keaton is hands-down one of my top favorite actresses. There are scenes that I really, really love, such as the balcony scene! I absolutely love that scene! The subtitles shared with us are completely tangible. I also love the scenes when Annie and Alvy are alone and they share perspectives on almost everything from parents to sex. Also, the lobster part is hilarious. And need I mention the part when Alvy sneezes $2000 worth of coke in the air at a party? That's what makes me like 'Annie Hall', although there are some scenes that provokes thoughts that the plot is somewhat structureless, such as the scenes with Alvy's earlier girlfriends. I just felt that these scenes were mildly annoying, but on second thought, I guess these scenes were necessary in order to make Alvy realize Annie is the one for him. Also, you have to be culturally aware to know what Alvy is talking or whining about. I think one of the main reasons why some people don't like 'Annie Hall' is because they don't have enough cultural knowledge to understand what Alvy is talking about. (I wish I had some euphenisms for what I just said.) I can see why 'Annie Hall' is a classic. I really like this film, but I have to watch it again to get the full feel of it. Also, I really felt kind of sad at the bittersweet ending. After flying to California to get Annie back, and failing, I began to feel that this film was just beginning to develope structure. The very ending was indescribable. I really liked the background of New York working with Annie and Alvy as they meet in a shop then part with a friendly kiss. You can almost see the remains of their relationship finally dissolving as Alvy and Annie leaves in seperate ways. I definitely do like this movie, but I'm not satisfied with my current feelings. So I'm going to watch it again and hopefully this time I'll feel differently. But I do recommend this movie to anyone who loves Woody Allen and Diane Keaton. Just seeing them two is enough to be able to ignore the plot. I hope to be back with better results.
on February 24, 2001
I have only recently been initiated into the Woody Allen movie world. I love listening to him... sometimes he is neurotic and tends to go on and on and on, but sometimes he reminds me of myself. I get so annoyed so often with the littlest things that I can really relate to some of his tirades. For example, in Annie Hall, when he and Diane Keaton are standing in line at the cinema, he gets so frustrated and annoyed with the man behind him in line that he cannot stop talking about it and obsessing about it. This is so like me it is unbelievable. I suspect a lot of people must feel similar feelings... maybe to a lesser degree... otherwise Allen's sense of humour would not be as widely appreciated as it is. Also of note is Allen's intelligent sense of humour. He makes references to people, things, places, that are not common knowledge... but should be. And you really have to know a little bit about everything to understand all his references. I don't even think it is intentional in his movies. You either get it or you don't. I love it.
on February 5, 2001
Annie Hall is thinly veiled autobiographical film from Woody Allen. Mr. Allen plays Alvy Singer who is a standup comic and the most neurotic person ever put on film. The film travels back and forth in time through Alvy's life and we gets glimpses of his childhood, his first marriage and other benchmarks in his life. The movie details his relationship with Diane Keaton's title character. The film acts as a catharsis for Mr. Allen and we, the audience, are like his psychiatrist with him on the couch. The film contains classic Allenesque lines about life, death, California and other subjects and it doesn't appear that Mr. Allen is really acting. He's more or less playing himself. Ms. Keaton is delightful as the majorly quirky Annie and Tony Roberts is great as Alvy's best friend. Paul Simon, Carol Kane, Christopher Walken and others pop up along the way in brief cameos. The film was a major triumph and actually beat out Star Wars for the 1977 Best Picture Oscar with Mr. Allen taking home the Best Director and Screenwriter Awards and Ms. Keaton winning the Best Actress statuette.
on January 16, 2000
I always liked Woody Allen's ensemble films better than the ones in which he is the main star. Annie Hall which has a large cast but essentially lingers on Allen's relationship with Annie(Diane Keaton) till the very end is a sweet if structureless film. Through many episodic stretches we are treated to many hilarious jokes and innovative techniques, such as consulting people on the street for their opinion etc..., but the movie also has a real heart, especially in the final scenes, we see Woody being rejcted after having flown thousands of miles from N.Y.(beloved) to L.A.(detested)to ask Annie back. I think Annie Hall was showered with praise because it was the first Allen film to show real feelings behind the shtick, but in retrospect it is nowhere near his best film.Like the wildly overpraised Manhatten(3 stars), it has the advantage of having come first. Without a doubt the best Allen film is a three way tie:Husbands and Wives (energy),Hannah and Her Sisters (Just Perfect) and Crimes and Misdemeanours(Sadness), all which have Woody as part of a large ensemble telling more than one story and all ofcourse 5 star stuff.
on January 16, 2001
Annie Hall is a classic movie and I love it and have loved it for many years. Last night as I watched my newly purchased DVD edition (my taped version was falling apart) I noticed a shocking error. In the scene where Alvy (Allen) and Annie (Keaton) first meet they go up on her terrace to have a glass of wine and begin to discuss some esoteric b.s. In the original film there are clever subtitles stating what the two characters are actually thinking and feeling while spouting their nonsense. In the DVD version that I purchased here at this site the subtitles were missing. It's a brilliant scene that was sadly botched by whomever made these DVD's. I still really enjoyed the movie I only wish that such a classic scene wouldn't have been overlooked.
on December 2, 2001
Annie Hall is a pure comic gem. Well written and beutifuly directed. The DVD really isn't very good. I mean, I know that Allen dosen't do commenteries because he hates looking back at his films. That's an acception. But MGM could have put a few things on it like some deleted scenes. I know that there is over an hour of footag that has to do with a sub plot about a muder mystery that MGM could have included on the disk but they just didn't. The quality of the DVD looks great. My VHS tape of Annie Hall looked like Garbage and this is a big improvement.
One day I hope that Mr. Woody Allen would do a commentery...
on January 28, 2003
Annie Hall is a light and whimsical journey through the New York dating game. As usual, Woody Allen pokes plenty of fun at himself and Diane Keaton turns in a great performance.
Basically, this is a movie about what it is like for older people to try and date while in New York City. It does not help when the man, Woody Allen, suffers from Social Anxiety Disorder. What follows is good old fashioned fun. It is laugh out loud funny at points, and generally just a feel good movie.
This is one that everyone should see.
on February 10, 2000