Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage fallcleaning Cook Music Deals Store NFL Tools

Format: Blu-rayChange

Showing 1-3 of 3 reviews(1 star).show all reviews
on February 2, 2001
I really did try to watch "Annie Hall" with an open mind. I watched it because it was on the AFI's list of the greatest 100 films, and I'm trying to watch all of them. When the list was first released, I had seen 57 of the films. Now, I'm up to 77. I have found some real gems while watching these films. "All About Eve," "The Apartment," and "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre" are all marvelous films that I've watched recently. Then I got "Annie Hall."
I guess I've always resisted watching this movie because it was awarded the Oscar for Best Picture over "Star Wars." That, and I really don't like Woody Allen. I'd seen "Sleeper" several years ago, and I thought it was mildly amusing. There were a few chuckles in "Annie Hall," but the only time I really laughed was when Allen sneezed $2000 worth of cocaine into the air at a party.
The plot of the film is almost non-existant, but this is really a character-driven film anyway. The only problem with this is that I really didn't identify with any of the characters. Not only that, but I didn't like them. Allen's character is just a neurotic, self-centered mess, and Annie Hall is irritatingly dim-witted. She just goes whichever way the wind blows her.
Another reviewer here remarked that this film was 2 and half hours. It is actually just a little over one and a half hours; it only seems like 2 and a half. The best thing I could say about it it that I was glad when it was over so that I could say I had watched the whole thing.
on August 21, 2000
Because if you're under 30 and NOT an old movie buff nor WoodyAllen fan, then you will probably come to the same conclusion that my friends and I came to after sitting through "Annie Hall" - it's very much like having your teeth drilled without anesthetic while your dentist makes slightly humorous jokes during the process.
With all the praise this movie has had heaped all over it, we (my friends and I) decided to NOT get our hopes up and to do our best to watch it objectively (we do this every time we watch a "classic" movie to remove expectations - it makes it MUCH more enjoyable to open the mind and watch it "cold"). In retrospect, I guess it would have been better to keep reminding ourselves, over and over again, just how "important" this flacid piece of crap is supposed to be.
I guess it was groudbreaking at the time (no one thought to make a self-indulgent, 2-hour-plus film about uninteresting people droning ceaselessly about their uninteresting problems, uninteresting relationships, and uninteresting lives before? . . . . go figure!), but Allen's CONSTANT whining is absolutely torturous, as is Keaten's disjointed, schizophrenic protrayal of her character (seriously, we all - boys and girls included - wanted to slap her EVEN MORE than we did Woody!). We eventually decided that BOTH characters tie Jar-Jar Binks for "Most Annoying Screen Persona in History"! We literally had to FORCE ourselves to finish this movie, just so we could all say that we saw it.
This movie may be "important", but sitting through it is a horrifyingly boring and nerve-grating experience. Are we supposed to care for these saps? We didn't just "not empathize" with Woody or Keaton's characters, we ACTUALLY HATED both of them - God, they're both just so insipid and redundant! The only redeeming quality in either character is that Diane leaves Woody (finally!) and is thankfully absent from much of the later part of the film.
"Citizen Kane"? Mesmerizing! "Chinatown"? Shocking! "Dr. Stragelove"? Hilarious! "The Searchers"? Engaging and touching! "Annie Hall"? yawn-PUKE! Sure, "Annie Hall" may be "important", but so is "Beowulf"! Why would anyone EVER recommend this movie to someone who isn't an enemy?
I give it one star because there are SOME lines intended to be funny that actually approach their goal. I think during the 2.5 hours of torture that is "Annie Hall", our group chuckled a few times (note that a chuckle and a laugh are completely different things!), so it's not COMPLETELY unfunny - just 98% so!
YES, we "got" ALL the jokes. Don't think for a second that Woody's sense of humor isn't accessible, because "getting it" is PAINFULLY easy. Appreciating it, however, must be a torture test required to be initiated into some snotty film club or something. I think that, even more than the annoying characters, their fingernails-on-chalkboard dialogue, or "Annie Hall"'s marathon length, what I recall most is thinking, "THAT was a joke? " while my stomach churned and churned.
You want good Woody Allen? Get "Take the Money and Run" or "Hannah and Her Sisters" END
on December 4, 2003
i hate when people try to convince others that this man and his movies are funny.....please, this movie is a snooze fest and if you identify with either of the main characters...that would just be sad