5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT VARIED COMPILATION
First like to say this is quite a bargain. Over 70 songs for 15 bucks is a great deal. As per the reviewer from Quebec who mentioned the four missing songs on the Canadian version. I bought my copy at a local Sunrise and it has the four aforementioned songs. Sorry Amazon.
Published on Jan. 27 2012 by Comet V

3.0 out of 5 stars Bob Dylan's Chimes of Freedom
Various singing artists sing Bob Dylan songs -- some I really liked but others not so much. Of the 4 discs, I probably liked half of the songs. It still was worth buying if you are a Dylan fan.
Published 23 months ago by Ann Tyrell

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT VARIED COMPILATION, Jan. 27 2012
This review is from: Chimes Of Freedom : The Songs Of Bob Dylan (Audio CD)
At first listen certain songs stick out as impressive but the nice thing about this collection is that with repeated listens you will find additional songs that never caught your attention the first time around. There is just so much good songs here it takes a while to sort them out (Yes there is also a few duds).
Also some songs such as "Like a Rolling Stone" by Seal and Jeff Beck which most of us believe the Dylan version will always be the definitive one you may be presently surprised. No I still prefer the Dylan version but they have reworked the melody of the chorus and its quite catchy. From Pete Townshend and Jackson Browne to Miley Cyrus and Maroon 5, there is a wide variety of artists both new and old so I suggest to have an open mind and you will be pleasantly surprised.

4.0 out of 5 stars More Than Worth The Money, Feb. 28 2012
This review is from: Chimes Of Freedom : The Songs Of Bob Dylan (Audio CD)
There are lots of reasons to buy this collection. You're supporting Amnesty International and you get four CDs! That means everyone will find something they really like. I was most interested in the interpretations by artists that I already knew but I found one or two gems by people I'd never heard of. Best cut of the lot --Don't Think Twice, It's Alright. Absolutely stunning but why, oh why, did they have to follow it with an instrumental version of the same song?

5.0 out of 5 stars Expected Good Things -- Exceeds Expectations, Feb. 13 2012
A. J. Dickinson (Saint John, NB) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chimes Of Freedom : The Songs Of Bob Dylan (Audio CD)
I expected this album to introduce me to brand new music and remind me of past favourites. It delivered and then some. I would (and have) recommend it to a friend.

Dylan is the standard in my mind for several of the tracks on the collection. Dylan's original recording of Gotta Serve Somebody remains as my preferred version. The Eric Burdon cover is fantastic and stands alongside Dylan. Similar can be said for the Jeff Beck and Seal offering of Like a Rolling Stone. This is my favourite Dylan song (cliché alert), so I was a bit nervous before hearing the Chimes of Freedom version. The cover doesn't displace the original, but does stand up and will find its way to Windows Media Player playlists often.

Chimes of Freedom replaces Dylan as the standard a couple of times. Flogging Molly's The Times They Are-A Changin' is the best version of this song I have ever heard. Sinead O'Connor also impressed me with Property of Jesus. I always imagined Dylan giving a bit of a wink when he originally recorded the track. O'Connor's seems a bit frustrated and even angry. The tone of the song is interesting alongside its lyrics. I think what makes Flogging Molly and O'Connor stand out is that they make the songs their own without straying too far from what Dylan originally did. They are certainly not copying him, but they don't seem pressured to change the song so drastically that it is unrecognizable. The collection also introduced my to some songs I didn't know at all. Natasha Bedingfield's Ring Them Bells, Carolina Chocolate Drops' Political World, Queens of the Stone Age's Outlaw Blues, and Raphael Saadiq's Leopard-Skin Pill-Box Hat are my favourite of the songs in this category.

Burdon, QOTSA and Saadiq also illustrate how often I found myself attracted to the blues-tinged songs. This didn't surprise me. Time Out of Mind and Modern Times are my favourite Dylan albums and each has more a blues feel to it. Tom Morello's Willie McTell and Rise Against's Hollis Brown are worth a listen.

Chimes of Freedom is my second Amnesty International tribute. I greatly preferred this to Instant Karma, the collection of John Lennon covers. The Dylan combination seems more cohesive as a unit. Most of the songs lead from one to another. A few heavier tracks, like My Chemical Romance, and alt offerings by Silversun Pickups and Daniel Bedingfield interrupt the flow at times, but are still very good and aren't so shocking that they throw you off. While the Lennon tribute includes some great tracks (Working Class Hero, Mother, Beautiful Boy), I never felt that it worked as an album. Chimes of Freedom does.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great compilation, Jan. 24 2012
Cladolphe (Québec, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chimes Of Freedom : The Songs Of Bob Dylan (Audio CD)
This is a great compilation.... unhappily the canadian edition have less songs that the USA version. Here,s the 4 missing songs :

Disc 1 : One Too Many Mornings (Johnny Cash featuring The Avett Brothers)
Disc 2 : Outlaw Blues (Queens Of The Stone Age)
Disc 3 : With God On Our Side (K'NAAN) and Don't Think Twice, It's All Right (Kronos Quartet).

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent compilation, Oct. 28 2013
This review is from: Chimes Of Freedom : The Songs Of Bob Dylan (Audio CD)
I have played this cd a thousand plus times since I got it. K'nan's version of "With God on Our Side" is chilling. And there are countless more.

3.0 out of 5 stars Bob Dylan's Chimes of Freedom, May 20 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars MUSIC WITH A CONSCIENCE NEVER SOUNDED BETTER, April 1 2012
Paul S. Power "Music Reviewer" (Nova Scotia, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Chimes Of Freedom : The Songs Of Bob Dylan (Audio CD)
I don't like Bob Dylan singing. However, I know he's an incredible songwriter and a living legend, so this collection ("Chimes of Freedom-The Songs of Bob Dylan") is perfect for someone like me-actually, there's literally something for everyone here.
The 4 CD set includes over 70 Bob Dylan songs, re-interpreted by a stellar list of entertainers, with some incredible moments captured on disc; Steve Earle's "One More Cup of Coffee", Mark Knopfler's "Restless Farewell", Natasha Bedingfield's take on "Ring Them Bells", Eric Burden's wailing on "Gotta Serve Somebody", Adele's spin on "Make You Feel My Love" and "The Times They Are A Changin" by Flogging Molly stand out as such moments.
Some unexpected surprises happen as well: actress Evan Rachel Wood delivers an absolutely sultry version of "I'd Have You Anytime" and Ziggy Marley channels his dad on "Blowin in the Wind", but the biggest surprise is this: never in a million years would I have believed that the guy (RedOne) responsible for co-writing and producing some of the biggest hits by Lady Gaga, Pitbull and J.Lo could give us such a touching rendition of the famous "Knocking on Heaven's Door"-dare I say it's as good as the Guns N Roses version? Yes, it is. The lead vocals are handled by RedOne's own brother Nabil Khayat. As I listened more and more to this song it made me realize just how powerful a songsmith Robert Zimmerman (Bob Dylan's real name) really is. This is definitely the best song in the collection.
The only slight disappointment is on "One too Many Mornings" with Johnnie Cash and The Avett Brothers. Obviously this mix was done posthumously, and the song is good; Johnny Cash's parts are excellent and the Avett Brothers sound great too, but when they are combined on the choruses, the song sounds mismatched and off a little bit. That's a shame.
It's a nice touch though including 2 of Bob's folk music peers in the collection: Pete Seeger does "Forever Young", and Kris Kristofferson sings "Quinn the Eskimo". Pete is now 92, and Kris will be 76 this year-both performances show us that some things do indeed improve with age.
Other artists include Dave Matthews, Elvis Costello, Kesha, Dierks Bentley, Miley Cyrus, Bad Religion, Jackson Browne, Joe Perry, Lenny Kravitz, Maroon 5, Pete Townsend and Sting to name just a few of the many, many artists included here.
So there you have it, a collection covering pop, country, bluegrass, blues, jazz, celtic punk and more. Plus, all the proceeds from sales of this collection go to Amnesty International, in honour of their 50th anniversary. Music with a conscience never sounded better.

4.0 out of 5 stars Chimes of Freedom, March 13 2012
Virginia J. Hill (Calgary Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chimes Of Freedom : The Songs Of Bob Dylan (Audio CD)
Great variety in the interpretation of Bob Dylan's music. Some of the interpretations were very different from the original version, but enjoyable nevertheless.

4.0 out of 5 stars great mix, March 11 2012
This review is from: Chimes Of Freedom : The Songs Of Bob Dylan (Audio CD)
Wow, a 4 disc set with 73 tracks and a very eclectic group of artists. The fact that proceeds from the sale go towards Amnesty International is reason enough to buy this set. I'd rate the overall content as 90% good. There are a few duds, but with Bob Dylan as song writer it's hard to miss. A few stand-outs are; Maroon 5, Seal, Taj Mahal, Mick Hucknall, Eric Burdon, Raphael Saadiq, Brett Dennen, Ziggy Marley, Mark Knopfler, Lenny Kravitz, Steve Earle, Jackson Browne and even Miley Cyrus's track impressed me. A great mix to put on with any get-together.

5.0 out of 5 stars great, March 11 2012
This review is from: Chimes Of Freedom : The Songs Of Bob Dylan (Audio CD)
This is a must buy for Dylan song lovers, the songs are well done and its a great collection of Dylan songs

ARRAY(0xb37b2420)

Chimes Of Freedom : The Songs Of Bob Dylan
Chimes Of Freedom : The Songs Of Bob Dylan by Various (Tribute) (Audio CD - 2012)