VIDEO:

Published on April 3 2012 by Dr. Joseph Lee

2.0 out of 5 stars not worth it
I enjoyed the Muppets and thought this would be a great movie but found that it didn't have the same flare as the other Muppet movies. I couldn't find any humor in the movie at all and not struck on the songs. Even the blooper reel wasn't funny. Might be a great movie for kids but I didn't find it all that great or worth the money paid for it.
Published on April 16 2012 by Karen

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The Muppets (blu ray)...A flawless video transfer with great soundtrack!, April 3 2012
Dr. Joseph Lee (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
(#1 HALL OF FAME)    (#1 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
VIDEO:

"The Muppets" arrives on blu ray with MPEG-4 AVC 1080p 1.85:1 encode. The video transfer is truly outstanding. There are tremendous details: every bump and tuft of Walter's felt, Fozzy's furry exterior to the wispy hairs on Animal's head, all clearly visible. The colours are bright and saturated, and they simply pop off the screen: with perfectly saturated Kermit greens, Piggy pinks, Fozzie browns, Gonzo purples and Animal reds. Blacks are deep and inky. This Disney transfer is simply flawless. (5/5)

AUDIO:

Disney's DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 surround track is pure electric mayhem, matching the power, punch and pizazz of the film's visuals beat for beat and song for song. Dialogue is crystal clear. In my 9 speaker home theatre, there is discrete sound from the lateral and rear speakers, making the audio a very immersive experience. The music in the film is brilliant and funny (a hard combination). The sound of all the songs is so outstanding, that I even bought the CD soundtrack for this film. (5/5)

AWARD:

The song "Man or Muppet" won the Best Original Song Oscar in 2011, beating "Real in Rio" from "Rio". It is the first time in the history of Academy Awards that only two songs were nominated.

FINAL THOUGHTS:

This Muppets may not be Henson's Muppets, and I do miss Frank Oz's involvement. Segel and Stoller, with a near perfect comedy effort, were able to take a franchise that hadn't been seen on the big screen in over a decade and create something timeless and successful. With a top-notched video and tremendous soundtrack, "The Muppets" is thoroughly enjoyable, and is highly recommended. I also bought the Original Soundtrack CD with 30 tracks: also a very fulfilling experience. (my review found elsewhere)

Finally, Amazon.ca again has reviews for the standard dvd version or simply the movie itself mixed into the blu ray section of this movie. So be careful: read the title and date of the review, before you waste valuable time reading outdated materials.

I hope the above review and tip are helpful to you.

4.0 out of 5 stars A truly sweet family movie, Oct. 20 2012
K. Gordon - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
While never as artful as, say the best of the Pixar films, this has a sweet heart, and a goofy sense of self-deprecating humor.

Definitely aimed at kids first. But with enough clever twists on old movie clichés, jabs at 1980's culture, great little celebrity cameos
and kidding of standard Hollywood storytelling that there is plenty to keep a grown up smiling and entertained. Alan Arkin has a priceless
couple of minutes, and Jack Black proves himself a good sport indeed.

A tip of the hat to the lead human performers Jason Segel and Amy Adams who catch just the right note of real emotion, mixed with a friendly
wink at the audience so that we care, but it never feels sappy.

Segel was a co-writer as well, and created a story where we can actually be touched by his over-dependent relationship with his
inexplicably Muppet brother Walter. A really 'nice' fun family movie, where 'nice' is not a backhanded compliment, but as an honest one.

4.0 out of 5 stars A nice blast from the past, Aug. 1 2012
I think the parents will enjoy this more than their kids. But we are its target market, not them. The film was smugly self-aware (a trait that can either work well, or be annoying. But the Muppets have always broken the 4th wall, haven't they?), and yet somehow it remained centred in Kermit's basic decency. They wisely made the film more about how the Muppets are a relic of the simpler time, and then peppered it with 1970s/80s references and intentionally cheesy song-and-dance numbers (two at least were pretty good/funny). The plot was essentially a rehash of the Muppet Movie, really ('let's get the gang together'), but by setting it in the old Muppet Theatre, they took us back to the show itself, allowing us to see it in a more expansive way (strangely, they never had a shot from the perspective they ALWAYS had in the show ' Kermit by the loudspeaker, calling the next act on stage).

The biggest potential pitfall was Kermit's voice. But it worked well. At times he sounded like Kermit. And others, he didn't really'..but his mannerisms and personality were all bang-on. There were other distractions (like the fact the puppets had clearly been rebuilt. Fozzie, in particular looked too new). And too much of the 'new' characters (a human couple, and a new muppet'.who was a convenient plot device, but should be jettisoned if they ever do a sequel. He's a less interesting version of Scooter). As usual, they took up valuable screen time from the existing characters'..it's really only Fozzie, Piggy and Kermit who get any time. Gonzo is my favourite, and we don't see him much'.but he does have a very cool opening sequence, where they find him as a magnate of a successful plumbing business (isn't that how we first met him?). When they come to get him, he's all prepared, including having wired his entire plumbing factory with explosives (Why? Well, because, he's Gonzo).

I think it was probably all a bit too slick and disposable. Not sure it has any staying power. It's certainly not the classic the first film is. But it was entertaining, and a darn site better than Henson's last Muppet film, 'The Muppets Take Manhatten'.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Muppets are back!, April 13 2012
I watched this movie in the theater so i could have the full effect, and boy am I glad I did!! The muppets are back and I think Jim Henson himself would be proud of the end result. How can you not resist those loveable muppets and catchy songs? I left the theater with a few of them in my head, and since purchasing the dvd, have also purchased the soundtrack!! I definately recommend for kid of any age, including the ones that are kids at heart!

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm the favorite Aunt!, Jan. 2 2015
Ms Lawrie D Beamer (Belleville, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Muppets (3-Disc Combo Pack + Soundtrack Download Card) [Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy] (Sous-titres français) (Blu-ray)
I bought this for a 2 year old because she's musically inclined and LOVES the song Manah manah - there are 3 disc's in this
1) DVD movie,
2) Blue Ray movie, and
3) Music CD.
The other FANTASTIC thing about this movie is that it is bilingual (French/English) and they are trying to teach their child both languages so this gift was both parents and toddler approved. I'm the FAVORITE AUNT!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars PERFECT, April 6 2012
Far better than I could've imagined.. All my memories from the muppets from when I was a child have been revived in this amazing movie. Thank you Jason Segel for following your dream and having such a deep love for the muppets.

If you even remotely like the muppets you will LOVE this movie! Worth every penny!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love This Movie!!!, April 5 2012
Chris (Calgary, Alberta Canada) - See all my reviews
My kids and I had a great time watching this movie in the theatre, and later at home. Some of the songs are just brilliant! We play the soundtrack in the car all the time. Typical Muppets storyline that brought me right back to my childhood memories of watching the show. This movie is a favourite for us!

5.0 out of 5 stars love this movie!, Dec 10 2012
I was very happy with the movie and the receiving process. I received the package a day earlier than expected and the dvd was still in the plastic wrapper with the merchant's stickers on it.

Thank you!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, Dec 10 2013
Good movie and the bluray looks great. This movie in my opinion isnt as good as some of the older muppet movies like muppet's treasure island (which is my favourite). Still a good movie to watch for adults as well as kids.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Movie!, Feb. 11 2013
Rj (Toronto, Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
Amazing film, suitable for literally anyone. Love the humour and so happy to see the muppets rebooted in a way that will appeal to Sesame Street fans of old as well as their children of now.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›