5.0 out of 5 stars SETS THE STANDARD, March 20 2012
This review is from: I, Claudius (DVD)
Everything produced after "I, Claudius" is mere child's play in compare. If you're intelligent, savvy, well read and possess a true
appreciation for movingly acted and scripted drama look no further. The B.B.C. usually produces amazing series such as "The
Duchess of Duke Street", "Danger UXB", "Prime Suspect"... well the list just goes on and on. But this fabulous drama raised the
bar to heights that no one else has attained, and probably never will!
P.S. I forgot to place on my list another wonder by the B.B.C., "Our Friends in the North"
I urge all that read this review (both of you) to watch the other series listed. They are all magnificent!

5.0 out of 5 stars I Claudius: a modern masterpeice, April 29 2012
This review is from: I, Claudius (DVD)
This is a beautifully restored edition of I CLaudius. The bonus features alone are worth the purchase price. Although some of the prosthetic makeup is visible due to the digital restoration, it is otherwise a masterpiece.

5.0 out of 5 stars I, Claudius is a Masterpiece!, Feb. 15 2013
This review is from: I, Claudius (DVD)
A great theatrical production , wonderfully directed and acted!
A real gem which I will tell all my friends to see.

5.0 out of 5 stars I missed bits and pieces back then - so happy to now have a chance to revisit the production ..., July 10 2014
Bonnie E. Pearce (Sooke, BC Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I, Claudius (DVD)
I saw it on Public Tv many years ago. I missed bits and pieces back then - so happy to now have a chance to revisit the production at my own pace. My first introduction to Derek Jacobi (what a great actor) . I have enjoyed him in other productions, when he's part of the cast you can't go wrong.

5.0 out of 5 stars Family Feud for intellectuals, April 16 2014
vivinator (Vancouver, BC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I, Claudius (DVD)
The combination of terror and comedy is classic. No other television drama can hold a candle to this epic production in acting, costuming, sets or screenplay. I've been a fan for years, ever since the television showing. Murder most thrilling, it never fails to enthrall. I find it a very faithful rendering of the book. No words of mine can do it justice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, Aug. 6 2013
This review is from: I, Claudius (DVD)
Loved it back in the day, and love it still! Excellent re-mastering job; flaws are nothing to really complain about, I don't notice because I get engrossed in the plot!

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, Aug. 3 2013
This review is from: I, Claudius (DVD)
Divine pleasure! One of the best examples of theatre, and it is preserved on film to enjoy again in the future! Vivid realism presenting the period history, poetic beauty of well written and spoken language, breath-taking acting just to name a few points.

The special features are wonderful: a good piece of documentary well put together. Definitely a bonus.

5.0 out of 5 stars plus sa change..., July 6 2013
This review is from: I, Claudius (DVD)
One of the greatest series ever produced. Murder, lust, intrigue, heroism, love, history, madness...all in an ancient Roman setting.
What's not to like?

5.0 out of 5 stars I Claudius, Jan. 18 2013
This review is from: I, Claudius (DVD)
Saw it years ago when it was originally on TV - I enjoyed it then and enjoyed it more this time round.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clau Clau is Wow Wow!, April 15 2013
Taser Me - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: I, Claudius (DVD)
I cannot say anything which hasn't already been said in these reviews about this magnificent series. Take an incredibly compelling story and have it performed by stellar actors and the result is "I Claudius." It is arguably one of the best TV dramas ever made. I am now watching it for the third time since 2007, and it is just as spellbinding as it was the first time I saw it. Indeed, just as with the two previous viewings, I have to watch an episode an evening. I simply cannot take an evening off. I must know what happens next.

Since seeing it the first time, I have read both books by Robert Graves which the series is based on. I have also read biographies about the main characters in the show. In addition, I have had tremendously insightful discussions with friends and family who have also seen the show. Believe me, there is much, much more to "I Claudius" than the episodes that make up the series. I never gave much thought to ancient Rome prior to viewing this series, but that has changed.

Regarding the technical qualities of this DVD, I am very pleased with both the video and sound quality. It looks and sounds great! I haven't had a look at the extras as I am only about halfway through the series.

I purchased the series last month when Amazon was featuring some top-notch Brit shows at wonderful sale prices. Even at its regular price, "I Claudius" is great value for money because it is such a phenomenial series. It has everything and lacks nothing. I am bold enough to say that if the world is still spinning in a hundred years, future generations will be as riveted and moved by this series as current and past generations.

I, Claudius
I, Claudius by Derek Jacobi (DVD - 2012)
CDN$ 74.99 CDN$ 52.49