5.0 out of 5 stars SETS THE STANDARD, March 20 2012
This review is from: I, Claudius (DVD)
Everything produced after "I, Claudius" is mere child's play in compare. If you're intelligent, savvy, well read and possess a true
appreciation for movingly acted and scripted drama look no further. The B.B.C. usually produces amazing series such as "The
Duchess of Duke Street", "Danger UXB", "Prime Suspect"... well the list just goes on and on. But this fabulous drama raised the
bar to heights that no one else has attained, and probably never will!
P.S. I forgot to place on my list another wonder by the B.B.C., "Our Friends in the North"
I urge all that read this review (both of you) to watch the other series listed. They are all magnificent!

5.0 out of 5 stars I Claudius: a modern masterpeice, April 29 2012
This review is from: I, Claudius (DVD)
This is a beautifully restored edition of I CLaudius. The bonus features alone are worth the purchase price. Although some of the prosthetic makeup is visible due to the digital restoration, it is otherwise a masterpiece.

5.0 out of 5 stars I, Claudius is a Masterpiece!, Feb. 15 2013
This review is from: I, Claudius (DVD)
A great theatrical production , wonderfully directed and acted!
A real gem which I will tell all my friends to see.

5.0 out of 5 stars Derek Jacobi is fantastic actor no matter who he plays, Sept. 15 2014
K. Przezdziecki (Toronto Ont) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I, Claudius (DVD)
I watched this as a kid and it was hypnotic.
It turns out it still is but now I can see a lot more relevance of this story to today's events than ever before.
Politics and human behavior didn't change much over the centuries-tools ,methods and speed did.
2000 years of Christianity unfortunately didn't do much ether for those at the top.

Derek Jacobi is fantastic actor no matter who he plays.I'm glad to see him again as Claudius.

4.0 out of 5 stars Some truly fine performances are marred by the constant wonder -- is ..., Aug. 12 2014
This review is from: I, Claudius (DVD)
Five stars for acting and writing, one star for hideous makeup. Some truly fine performances are marred by the constant wonder -- is the face putty going to hold? And, of course, it's typical old-style BBC sound quality, which is to say - not too good. But you can't fault the amazing all-star cast.

5.0 out of 5 stars I missed bits and pieces back then - so happy to now have a chance to revisit the production ..., July 10 2014
Bonnie E. Pearce (Sooke, BC Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I, Claudius (DVD)
I saw it on Public Tv many years ago. I missed bits and pieces back then - so happy to now have a chance to revisit the production at my own pace. My first introduction to Derek Jacobi (what a great actor) . I have enjoyed him in other productions, when he's part of the cast you can't go wrong.

5.0 out of 5 stars Family Feud for intellectuals, April 16 2014
vivinator (Vancouver, BC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I, Claudius (DVD)
The combination of terror and comedy is classic. No other television drama can hold a candle to this epic production in acting, costuming, sets or screenplay. I've been a fan for years, ever since the television showing. Murder most thrilling, it never fails to enthrall. I find it a very faithful rendering of the book. No words of mine can do it justice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, Aug. 6 2013
This review is from: I, Claudius (DVD)
Loved it back in the day, and love it still! Excellent re-mastering job; flaws are nothing to really complain about, I don't notice because I get engrossed in the plot!

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, Aug. 3 2013
This review is from: I, Claudius (DVD)
Divine pleasure! One of the best examples of theatre, and it is preserved on film to enjoy again in the future! Vivid realism presenting the period history, poetic beauty of well written and spoken language, breath-taking acting just to name a few points.

The special features are wonderful: a good piece of documentary well put together. Definitely a bonus.

5.0 out of 5 stars plus sa change..., July 6 2013
This review is from: I, Claudius (DVD)
One of the greatest series ever produced. Murder, lust, intrigue, heroism, love, history, madness...all in an ancient Roman setting.
What's not to like?

I, Claudius
I, Claudius by Derek Jacobi (DVD - 2012)
CDN$ 74.99 CDN$ 52.49