Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage SmartSaver Countdown to Black Friday in Home & Kitchen All-New Kindle Paperwhite Deal of the Day - The Beatles in Mono 14LP Vinyl Box Set SGG Home, Kitchen and Garden Gift Guide

Format: Blu-rayChange

on July 25, 2014
That's ok, but I can't understand why so much anger and troubles came from the square headed to see disgrace and abomination it this view of a possible Jesus.
on January 2, 2012
I grew up with Christianity in our schools, our communities, our media, our policis, and our household but I was never able to really imagine "the man" that was Jesus of Nazareth. That is, not until I watched this film. If ever there was a man destined to be the sacrifice for all mens' sins, then surely he was tempted to get down off that cross and live a real life.

Willem Dafoe is as must Jesus as Harvey Keitel is Santa Claus. Yet, their performances are brilliant and captivating.
on April 18, 2010
Just fair warning: this DVD is not enhanced for widescreen TVs so be prepared for window-boxing. Super annoying.

Luckily the movie itself is amazing. Highly recommended for anyone with an interest in challenging and cultivating their spirituality.
on March 12, 2006
To fathom the depth of this film, one should might first recall the school church scene in Monty Python's "Meaning of Life" where the vicar is excrutiatingly reminding the congregation just how really big, powerful, and awesome Christ is. Yet that scene underlines the difficulty in reducing Christ to the bigscreen; how could the screen ever be big enough for him?
And this is Scorcese's accomplishment. His "LTC" puts a much more human face to Christ. One can understand this vision of God: stricken by human foible, marred by errors in judgment, and somewhat frustrated because life was not unfolding exactly the way he thought he wanted. Yet piercing that most human journey is the certainty that his life had meaning. This is a Jesus Christ to whom every person regardless of religion can easily identify. Make some noble sacrifice for your family or friends - or a stranger - and you will understand my point.
Scocese convincingly conveys that particular message. The acting is relaxed - daring in a film about JC but normal for a film about ordinary people facing life's turmoils. The cinematography is breath-taking; the stark desert's immense charm is perfectly captured and underscores the large stakes in JC's very personal human battle. The editing is crisp and little dialogue is wasted.
While Mel Gibson's "Passion" may be more concerned with fact, Scorcese's accomplishment is more attentive to the life of everyday man. If one wants to see a crucificion and witness Christ's physical suffering, watch "Passion". If one seeks some more empathic means to grasp at what Christ may have endured in terms all can grasp, watch "LTC".
on July 17, 2004
The first time I say this movie, it was on TV. It was on at like midnight, so I had to stay up very late to finnish it. It is important to remember that this film is an Artistic Representation. It is not meant to be take factually. I does indeed appear blasphamous if you are taking it in a historical context. So, don't take it that way. I admit, the whole poligamy/adultery thing was WAY TOO MUCH for me. The movie is quite laughable actually. Especially if you are a Christian and can put things in proper context. It does present a more human Jesus, but if that is what you want to see, I would highly recommend Jesus Christ Superstar. It is much better, and more entertaining. I felt that this movie somewhat dragged on and on. That could be because I was SO Tired. I can see why they put it on so late at night though. You need to see this movie at least once, just to say that you have seen it.
on July 12, 2004
Forget about the controversy surrounding this film. Yes, from a historical and Biblical perspective, it's trash. However, the real tragedy is the film itself. It is just outright boring and the acting is atroucious. I expected more from the a-list actors invovled in this project. Especially Dafoe. What was he thinking?! The only redeeming value of this film is the soundtrack (Peter Gabriel's "Passion"). Peter Gabriel has created one of the most beautiful and provocative music scapes ever recorded for a film.
Do yourself a favor if you've never seen this film... don't waste your time. Instead, just by Peter Gabriel's soundtrack.
on July 5, 2004
I am a proud believer of the Bible and since I've seen most of this film, I think I have a say in this like everyone else. This film horribly depicts Jesus as a very human Savior instead of the Son of God. People say it's interesting that this film shows him helping out during a crucifixion, but remember this is the Son of God and he would be trying 2 save the person on the cross instead of helping to kill him. The scene where he rips his own heart out is disturbing and the blasphemy is really shown once he has sex with Mary Magdalene, something that Christ would've never done.
Now don't get me wrong, I was fascinated with the direction. There's no question that Scorcese is a great director and scenes are shot beautifully in this film.
But sadly, the film is overtaken by its horrible account of Jesus' life. 'The Passion' was a more accurate and basically a better and more powerful film.
on June 30, 2004
One of the most hilarious reviews written here by a costumer can be found easily on this page, just move the mouse down. The reviewer calls the people that have seen "The Last Temptation Of The Christ" "sick hypocrits".
According to him we are "blasphemers to say and believe that Jesus had ever given into temptation of satan by ignoring His duty on the cross (author's note: we all know that Jesus was in great pain when he had his last temptation) and marrying Mary Magdalene and having children. You really wanna see what BLASPHEMY truly is: This piece of filth! Do not watch it! You'll be sorry if you did! That's why I didn't watch it." (LOL)
Hilarious, no? The reviewer clearly doesn't know anything about forgiveness. Well, I forgive this reviewer (I learned how to forgive not from the Bible, but from "The Last Temptation Of Christ") for calling me (and U2) "sick hypocrits".
Okay, now about the movie. I rented it when I was fifteen and I was so moved by it I watched again 5 times before returning to the videostore. Thanks to "The Last Temptation Of Christ' I "found" Jesus. Martin Scorsese's films are great and this one is my personal favorite. Willem Dafoe is the best actor to play Jesus in cinema history. Harvey Keitel gives us a Judah who has feelings and even loves Jesus. Barbara Hershey, David Bowie and Harry Dean Stanton along with the girl who plays Satan act excellent. And Peter Gabriel's music for this film is as passionate as art itself, it's above brilliant!! The DVD extras are great. Very cool stuff. For the people who have seen "The Passion Of The Christ" I beg you to see "The Last Temptation Of Christ". If you're afraid God may punishing for watching such a act of faith -- please put the blame on me. Mea culpa.
on June 7, 2004
Martin Scorsese is no conservative and generally stays away from political, but it is worth mentioning that he is obsessed with Christianity. He is a Catholic, or a lapsed Catholic, and his New York youth apparently put the zap on his head in a big way. He went to church and believed in God, asked for his sins to be washed away in confession, but like the characters in "Mean Streets" (1973), he lived in Little Italy, where murder, extortion and immorality were a way of life.
Scorsese came up with some funky ideas, and laid it all out for the world to see in "The Last Temptation of Christ" (1988). It is actually based on a book by Nikos Kazantzakis, but like all of Scorsese's work the screen version must be attributed to him. It is hard to say what he is trying to accomplish. I call the film "Bronx Jesus" because he populates it with New York actors (Harvey Keitel as Judas, Willem Dafoe as Jesus), except for evil, which Hollywood always says has an upper crust English accent (a very telling psycho-trait regarding class envy perhaps). On the one hand, Scorsese loves his Jesus. He is obviously very personal to him. He has a vision for who Jesus was, and it is a human vision. This is the crux of the story, because if Jesus is "human," then His suffering and trials are not just for show. In order for Jesus to die for our sins, He has to feel our pain and be tempted just as any mortal would be.
The finale is confusing and I have only seen it once, so forgive me, but as best I can recall Christ accepts a "deal" from Satan. A dream sequence follows, in which Christ is apparently fooled by Satan, disguised as a little girl. Apparently, he did not die for our sins, and Scorsese's message is muddled, possibly leading us to believe that the screwed-up world we live in is because of this. The Catholics and other Christian groups were outraged. It is not quite the "risen Christ on Easter Sunday" message of hope that we have all been counting on. Personally, I do not see Scorsese as anti-Christian for making it, although I do come away from such expenditures of theology believing there are just things we will never know until we die, and we had best live good lives until then!
on May 28, 2004
First of all, this area is SUPPOSED to be for reviews of this movie, not dire warnings of damnation if one watches it. It is JUST a movie....something tells me Jesus and his believers can survive it. Please don't turn this forum into a religious debate.
I think anyone who purchases this DVD edition of the film should definitely go back and listen to the director/actor/screenwriter commentary included with the film. In it, Marty and the screenwriter explain why they used the actors they did, and why they used today's vernacular. They had the characters speak this way so that the viewer is more aware that the players in the New Testament WERE human, just like us. Marty believed that the stilted English of the King James Court, with its "thou's" and "ye's" (and having absolutely NO relation to the way people spoke at the time) serves to distance modern viewers from the pain and doubt that both Jesus has his followers underwent.
Marty also was desperate to counter the prevalent depiction of Jesus in film that has him 100% "divine", with a golden light shining behind his head, with the divine little smile and the gentle words. He wanted to use the idea in the Bible that Jesus was also fully human, subject to both physical AND mental anguish. The latter is the point that Gibson missed in his film. Anyone who has ever lost a child or had to make an agonizing decision knows that mental anguish can be as painful as any physical torment. This movie is about the true temptation Jesus underwent, to deny God and run away from his destiny. All of us can identify with that.
I find this Jesus far more compelling than the Jesus I grew up with in Sunday school. This Jesus is not perfect. He hurts and has soubts and depressions like I do. And yet he gives his body and mind to God in the end.