5.0 out of 5 stars The ultimate TITANIC movie
I saw this film for the first time when I was maybe 11 years old (mid-60s) and became captivated by everything concerning the TITANIC ever since.

Published on Dec 21 2006 by Steve

1.0 out of 5 stars Incompatible for use
Published 23 months ago by LadyW

1.0 out of 5 stars Incompatible for use, May 10 2012
This Blu Ray arrived and I couldn't wait to watch it! I put it in the PS3 to watch and it only stayed on the equivalent of the FBI warning screen. It wouldn't go beyond that screen. I took it out and tried it in our actual Blu Ray player and the same thing happened. I went online and did some research because the symbols on the front of the package, for ex "PG13" looked slightly different from the same symbols on other cases of movies I have and that's when I discovered that it was formatted for use in Europe and parts of Africa. NO WHERE on the site does it indicate this!!! I figured shopping on amazon.CA would mean that I was buying products that would be compatible with things in Canada but I guess I was wrong. There needs to be some kind of identification that this Blu Ray is for other regions on the web page when you buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The ultimate TITANIC movie, Dec 21 2006
Steve (Ottawa, ON, CAN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Night To Remember, A (VHS Tape)

It's a waste to compare it to either the 1953 Clifton Webb movie or to the Cameron version. For the Webb film, Walter Lord's book had not yet come out so the producers worked with what they had as far as historical "facts." As for Cameron, he "borrowed" many scenes from NIGHT TO REMEMBER both as an homage but because they are more gripping than anything a screenwriter could come up with.

As for the NTR version showing the ship sinking in one piece as being "historically inacurate", that was based on Lord's conclusions from the book tho he did acknowledge passengers saying that it broke in two before going under. Also, the Kenneth More character, although billed as Second Officer Lightoller, was actually a composite of Lightoller and Fifth Officer Lowe, but Lightoller being dominant.If you re-read the book and watch the movie again, you'll be able to tell what was Lowe's actions and what was Lightoller's.

More is brilliant and always seemed under-appreciated as an actor. Had the pleasure of meeting him in Toronto when he was doing a play there in the 1970s.

Hands down, NIGHT TO REMEMBER is the best movie about the TITANIC ever made and if Cameron's version couldn't top it with its budget, no other version ever will.

Needless to say, it is one of my top three movies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still The Best Titanic Movie Ever!, March 31 2012
Daffy Bibliophile (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This was the first Titanic movie I ever saw, as a child, and it remains my favourite. The acting is outstanding, the special effects very believable, overall the movie leaves a deep impression on the viewer. It is also seen as being the most historically accurate version of those events of one hundred years ago in the cold North Atlantic. The humanity of this movie will overwhelm you: the technological arrogance of the age, the class distinctions that vanish with the sinking ship, the desperation, the acts of courage and cowardice, all of it is here.

Easily a five star movie; if I could, I would give it six stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Night To Remember, May 19 2012
This review is from: A Night to Remember (The Criterion Collection) [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
The quintessential version of the Titanic disaster. Shows how the English sailors and Edwardian passengers of the time would have reacted. Kenneth More is excellent.
Even the special effects of 1958 come off very well. The Blu-Ray quality really make the image quality jump out.
I only gave the DVD four out of five stars, because the DVD itself takes about two and a half minutes to get to the menu. It crawls through an essentially black screen without any indication the DVD is functioning. it's a shame that someone's really fine work is spoiled because they stuck a huge empty leader slug at the beginning

5.0 out of 5 stars fabulous, Aug. 11 2010
This review is from: A Night to Remember (DVD)
this is, in my opinion the definitive movie on the titanic. James Camerons is all fluff, though the special effects are outstanding, but that is the benefits of the computer age, which was not available back in '57. But more of the facts were. And secondly, It just was not availabe in the stores, at least not in my town. I have now shopped a number of movies and CD's from Amazon. Boy, am I a believer.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Title's An Understatement..., Sept. 4 2001
Linda McDonnell "TutorGal" (Brooklyn, U.S.A) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Night To Remember, A (VHS Tape)
because the sinking of the Titanic has proved to hold the interest of the world for nearly 90 years after that fateful night in April 1912.
I don't know if I can say I've seen "all" the Titanic movies, but I have seen Leonardo Di Caprion's version, Catherine Zita-Jones' version, Clifton Webb's version, and this one, which was the first one I ever saw, years ago, as a little child. Hands down, this British version is the best.
It's not that the others are stinkers; in fact, that would lessen the victory. After all, Leonardo's has some great special effects, Catherine was a pretty passenger, and Clifton Webb handled disaster very well. But this one has the hallmark of accuracy to it. When you've finished watching it, you KNOW the story of the Titanic well enough to perpetuate its memory to your own children's children. It captures the despair of the passengers who realize what's really happening, and faithfully recounts the different vignettes of self-sacrifice which characterize this tragedy in particular. Unlike the other three movies, "A Night to Remember" doesn't have to invent people for you to identify with; the real stories are far better than any invention and far more poignant.
Watch the others for entertainment, but watch "A Night to Remember" for edification.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sorry Mr Cameron, this is THE movie on Titanic!, March 27 2006
Book Buff (Calgary, Alberta Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: A Night to Remember (DVD)
B&W is perfect for this story - this mood - this event! The casting is terrific - the story is rivetting, even knowing the outcome. Well photographed, good characters, good story line and yet the movie is about the 'event'. This is THE movie about the Titanic sinking. Sorry, Mr Cameron, but as good as your movie was, I prefer this movie hands-down to the DiCaprio film. A Classic! A beautiful wonderful historically accurate Classic!

5.0 out of 5 stars A memorable movie, April 1 2014
I bought this movie as part of my brother's 60th birthday gift a couple of years ago. He first saw this movie as a young boy with our dad. He was very happy with the quality of the movie and the bittersweet memories it evoked.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great movie !, March 21 2014
Great movie ! Picture is clear and sound is great for this old movie.

I remove two stars, cause it lack of french audio track.

I recommend it for Titanic history fans.

4.0 out of 5 stars A movie to remember, Nov. 4 2013
Rudi Becker "Derlieberudi" (Hamilton, Canada) - See all my reviews
The DVD was in the wrong region format. I used a conversion program to make it play on my player in my region. Even after that conversion the quality was excellent, picture and sound!
I'm happy with this purchase.

ARRAY(0xb2844b28)