5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome product works as promised.
Published on Oct. 22 2012 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice...but was it really worth the money.
Looks good on the wall, but I don't think it has any real advantage over a decent programmable thermostat.

Would I buy it again ...Yes
Published 21 months ago by Dan

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome product works as promised., Oct. 22 2012
This review is from: Nest Learning Thermostat - 1st Generation T100577 (Tools & Hardware)
After reading many reviews mostly positive and some negative, I decided to take a chance and ordered it. Free shipping from Amazon to my door in Calgary, Alberta the thermostat arrived in 4 days. I was concerned about the install, but it was amazingly simple and I had it installed in 15 minutes or less by myself. My heating system is simple, one forced air furnace and no air-conditioning (it is Calgary folks..) so I only had 2 wires to deal with. After reading some reviews about the device not drawing enough power to operate correctly, I was concerned given my simple wiring scheme that I might also experience the thermostat shutting off the wireless antenna to conserve power. Happily after 4 weeks, I have not had one issue with the device. Wireless connection to my Netgear R6300 AC router has never lost connection. I can view my energy useage per day, control the thermostat from my Iphone or Ipad and enjoy the slick interface everytime I walk by the unit as it senses my approach. I set up all the schedules myself instead of letting the unit 'Learn" our schedule because my wife and I are fairly consistent in our routines (kids are all gone now). Setting up the weekly schedule took 10 minutes at most, but it would have been quicker had I known I could just copy and paste similar schedules during our work week. It was pretty cold today and I came home early (snow storm coming) so I just turned up the thermostat from my iphone as I drove home so the house was nice and toasty when I arrived 30 minutes later. What more can you want from a thermostat? It is pricey, but it is worth it from my perspective because we Canadians burn a lot of money during the long winters here. The thing I noticed most was that the house is always at a consistant temperature. My old thermostat could not calculate temperature as exactly as this one and would let the house cool for a few degrees before the furnace would kick in. The Nest kicks in when the house drops 1/2 degree so you never feel too chilled. I highly recommend this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars For on the go and tech people, Oct. 7 2012
Valerie (Alliston, ON) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I've owned mine now for almost 3 months. One thing I can say about it is that it's simply wonderful. It's gorgeous to look at, everyone comments that it looks like we have a sophisticated camera system in the house. Then the sensor senses their movement and the screen turns on to tell them what the temp is in the house. Everyone thinks it's magic! hah You can download apps for IOS and Android to control your thermostat from anywhere in the world, as long as it's connected to a wireless network!

From the mobile app you can...
- Check and change your Nest's temperature remotely
- View and edit your Nest's schedule remotely
- View when and for how long your heating and cooling system was on for the last 10 days
- Access the settings of your home's Nest Learning Thermostat
- Find out if you're saving energy with the Nest Leaf
- Enable unique System Match energy-saving features tuned for your home and - system type

The thermostats software had an update on Oct 2nd. 3.0 I love the new features!
~ Early-On - Get the temperature you want when you want it. If your schedule says 72ºF at 6am, Early-On will start heating or cooling early so it’ll be 72ºF when your alarm rings at 6:00.
~ Filter Reminders - Filters are incredibly important for systems that blow air out of vents. A clogged filter can increase your bill by 5%. Unlike other thermostats that just alert you once a year or once a month to change the filter, Nest’s Filter Reminders are based on how many hours you’ve used heat or AC. That means they’ll only show up when you actually need them.
~ Enhanced Auto-Away - Now Auto-Away is even better at understanding if you’re home or not. When it’s sure you’re gone, Auto-Away can now turn on as quickly as a half hour after you leave the house. And if Nest doesn’t detect any activity for a while but knows you’re usually home at this time, it’ll wait longer before activating Auto-Away.

...And a few other improvements. These three mean the most to me personally.

The upfront cost is kind of steep. But I have to say, it's really worth it. If you're annoyed by your current thermostat (like I was) or you're doing a reno I would definitely recommend giving this one some serious thought.

Visit their website for further details, there's so much I couldn't include.

UPDATE: New Summer Software, May 2013

"Sunblock
In 60% of homes, the thermostat is in direct sunlight at some point during the year, heating up and reading temperatures up to 25ºF (14°C) higher than reality. In the summer, that means the AC runs overtime. In the winter, the furnace may not turn on at all. It’s frustrating for customers and one of the big issues we hear about in customer support and our online community.

So Nest invented Sunblock for your thermostat. Sunblock senses when Nest is in direct sunlight and automatically adjusts so Nest reads and sets the correct temperature. It uses Nest’s built-in light sensor to track the sun’s patterns and temperature sensors to detect—and adapt to—heat spikes from the sun. Sunblock is enabled by default in every Nest thermostat, and will turn on after at least one day of Nest being in direct sunlight. Look for the little sun icon on Nest’s display.

Advanced Fan Control
If we’ve learned one thing about our customers in the last year, it’s this: they really like fans. And for good reason: circulating the air keeps homes from getting stuffy, maintains an even temperature throughout the house, and can sometimes save energy. With Advanced Fan Control, you can now schedule the fan to run all night and turn off in the morning, run for a few minutes every hour, or just turn on at 6pm when you get home from work.

Cool to Dry
If you live in an excessively humid area (see: Florida) and don’t have a dehumidifier, you already know the only way to control humidity - and the mold that comes with it—is with the air conditioner. With Cool to Dry, Nest uses its humidity sensor to detect when humidity reaches potentially unhealthy levels. Then it automatically turns on the air conditioner when needed—for as long as its needed—to help keep your home dry. This feature is only meant for homes in extremely humid climates.

Enhanced Auto-Away
With our last update, we improved Auto-Away so it could turn on as quickly as 30 minutes after you walked out the door. Now, Auto-Away has gotten much better at understanding when you’re coming home. Say you leave in the morning and your schedule says to turn on the AC at 2pm. If Nest thinks you’ll be home in the afternoon, it’ll pause Auto-Away and turn down the temperature at 2pm so you’ll come home to a cool house. However, if you usually come home at 6pm, then Auto-Away will skip over that 2pm temperature and help you save energy all day long.

Mobile app updates
We’ve updated the Nest Mobile app for iOS and Android to make it more natural to change the temperature—it’s just like turning the ring on Nest itself. We’ve also added messages, so Nest can send you a message on the Web or Mobile app when you need to change your filter, for example.

Auto-Tune
Auto-Tune technology finds new opportunities to save you energy, then helps you take advantage of them. We’ve created two features powered by Auto-Tune that are currently available to customers of our new energy partners:

Rush Hour Rewards - You could earn $20-60 back from your energy provider this summer. It’s simple: Rush Hour Rewards helps you use less energy while everyone else is using more, which earns you money from your energy company.
Seasonal Savings - Seasonal Savings automatically fine-tunes your schedule over several weeks to help you save energy and stay comfortable. In our trials, it's helped Nesters use 5-10% less heating and cooling."

This info was taken from the Nest website. I did not write it, but I sure do love the improvements!

5.0 out of 5 stars If you're a techie, buy this!, Nov. 22 2012
OK, straight up, I'm a techie. I like having most of the latest gadgets, and this one fits the bill nicely. I've got a smart phone, touch screen in my car, a tablet, etc, and now a smart thermostat.

I've had this now for about six months and I only had one problem. I have air conditioning and forced air gas furnace and I had a small problem that was a result of my furnace not having a C "common" wire going from the circuit board on the furnace up to the nest. I was able to easily run a new wire from the furnace to the thermostat with just putting one small hole in the wall. I'm handy so it was no big deal at all. Anyway, nest support was great about giving me some details on what I needed to do, and now that I have the C wire the nest has been flawless.

I work from home so I don't even really need the auto scheduling feature, which is of course it's biggest benefit. However, what I really like is being able to control the thermostat from my iPhone. Lots of times I'm on another floor of the house and I want to adjust the heat or turn the furnace fan on or off to better regulate the whole house temperature and it's great to be able to do it from my phone.

Pros:
- Simple interface
- Saves money by detecting when you're away
- Looks cool
- It turns on when you walk by (motion sensor), nice touch!
- Monthly usage report by e-mail

Cons:
- No way to schedule furnace fan to run at intervals, for example 10 minutes each hour (if it did this it would be perfect as it would help maintain a consistent temperature on different levels in the house)
- Phone app needs to give more historical data on usage

5.0 out of 5 stars Loving the Nest, Oct. 19 2012
So we just received the Nest version 1 and its awesome. We had an old mercury style thermostat and it was really hard to be precise in regards to the temperature. So we decided it was time to update our thermostat. We chose the Nest for a couple of reasons. Firstly it's a really great looking device, second is that it is super easy to install and use (only took about 5-10 mins to install) and lastly is that it's both a learning thermostat and has the ability to be controlled from your smartphone, tablet, or computer. Look forward to see how we'll it works through the winter months.

There is a version 2 now, but we went with version 1 to save a couple bucks. Highly recommend. Plus it only took 2 days for it to arrive from Amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great !, June 18 2013
This is a great product, love the android and web interface ... makes it so easy to adjust the temperature while i am out and before i head home !

5.0 out of 5 stars 1st Generation Good Enough, Dec 28 2012
Was trying to find the differences between the 1st and 2nd generation. Only could find that the 2nd generation has more possible connections and it was slimmer. So if your system does not need those extra wires, the 1st gen is good enough. It uses the same software, same features. Super simple to install. Took less than 5 minutes to actually psychically put it in, that's 2 minutes to remove my old one, another 2 minutes to screw in the new one. It doesn't need any drywall anchors, it comes with screws that go directly into the drywall. Connecting the wires is super simple, just push a button and slide in.

The longest part was probably the software setup. Took time to download the updates, install, enter the info, etc. But again is super simple and straight forward.

After it was all setup, you just leave it alone and let it do its thing. I love having the ability to adjust the schedule on my PC and mobile device. I found that this thermostat was much more responsive than my other ones. Like when I turn on the heat, the furnace goes on within seconds. My old one would take several seconds or minutes to start.

My only worry is if the company that makes it goes out of business. You can only control it remotely with an online account in the cloud. So if not company, no account, no remote controlling.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nester, Oct. 30 2012
Love our new Nest thermostat. Believe me, I am 76 7ears of age and I have had a lot of different themostats, this Nest is amazing and FUN to use, not a chore.

The one we had previously was from the Hydro company, very high tech but they said it was worth $250.00- but it didn't work properly. I had to click 10 times or more to activate a button. I had it removed after 3 months or less and installed my Nest by myself with a little tech advice from Nest on the telephone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product, some wireless bugs., July 9 2014
I give my NEST 4/5 stars because of some glitchy interface with my router. My router was a modem/router combo (I know, not ideal) but had a bad connection with the NEST (even though the signal strength was perfect) that resulted in the battery constantly draining on the thermostat. NEST recommended I get a router to go with my modem and that fixed everything. I would have been happier is the solution wasn't for me to buy another product because my router seemed to work fine with my other devices.

Other than that I love the features of my NEST and don't think I could go back to one that isn't connected with a great learning interface.

1.0 out of 5 stars I thought they would be good to have to protect our home and allow us ..., July 5 2014
The NEST Thermostat and NEST Protect.... the truth.

I have owned both of these item since they came on the market. I thought they would be good to have to protect our home and allow us to communicate with the items and control our home while away. After owning both of these for some time now this is our experience.

Our home:

We live in rural Ontario. We have an all electric home with 200 Amp service and a 15KV generator to supply power when the power goes out. Our ISP provided a Siemens Modem and behind it we have an Apple Extreme 801g/n router to provide wifi. We now also have a UPS to handle the wifi until the generator starts during a power failure. Even in a power failure our ISP provides Internet access.

The NEST Thermostat:

It was easy to install and worked right out of the box. It is easy to use in person and controls our electric heating just fine. It was only after a power failure we began to see the issues. The NEST does not like to reconnect to our wifi after a power failure. I have always had to wait until I return home, walk to The NEST and select “wifi” and press it. Then it connects. The NEST is only 3 meters from our wifi router and signal strength is reported to be “excellent” at 86% when tested. So signal is not the issue. To get around this I’ve installed a UPS so the wifi never drops. This has solved this issue it would appear at the moment. No battery issues so far. Other issues: It has no idea where we live. I had to trick it during setup as our location is not available. Occasionally it complains about setup issues that when checked don't exist. On occasion it will not light up when approached even though this feature is turned on. I have to poke it to get it to light up. All else appears OK. Do I trust it for an extended vacation in the winter: NOT ON YOUR LIFE.

The NEST Protect:

We purchased 2 of these when they hit the market. Installation was easy and they both worked out of the box. The issues with both of these units are the never-ending stream of false alarms, always when we are away. We rush home to find NOTHING.!! Even while writing this our bedroom NEST Protect went off telling us about smoke in the bedroom that isn't there. We’ve received Emails telling us our bedroom is full of smoke. When we arrive home our cat is sleeping on the bed so we can safely assume the alarm in the house did nothing. We’ve had alarms of power outage when there was none. We’ve had alarms of fire when there was none. THEY ARE A PAIN IN THE BUTT.

The NEST Support:

In a word: it’s non-existent. When you refer to the web site there is a “Contact Us” area but it only takes you to another page which lists HELP and The Community. In other words “You bought it and you’re stuck with it and we don’t want to talk to you to help you with your problems”. If you do leave comments in The Community someone will answer but it’s days later.

I would in no way recommend either of these products to anyone but I did buy them and yes I’m stuck with them. I may end up dumping them on eBay and going back to Honeywell products that actually do work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, June 21 2014
The ability to remotely control the thermostat is great. For times when I've been able to unexpected leave work earlier or flying back home, I've been able to get the heat/ac going so that by the time I get home, it's comfortable.

Nest Learning Thermostat - 1st Generation T100577