5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome product works as promised.
After reading many reviews mostly positive and some negative, I decided to take a chance and ordered it. Free shipping from Amazon to my door in Calgary, Alberta the thermostat arrived in 4 days. I was concerned about the install, but it was amazingly simple and I had it installed in 15 minutes or less by myself. My heating system is simple, one forced air furnace and no...
Published 18 months ago by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Worked until they upgraded the software
Published 4 months ago by thfli88

‹ Previous | 1 2 38 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Worked until they upgraded the software, Dec 6 2013
This review is from: Nest Learning Thermostat - 1st Generation T100577 (Tools & Hardware)
I was happy with my purchase of a Nest Learning Thermostat, I bought one more for the upper floor at Lowes. Recently they remotely upgraded the software on my two thermostats and I was totally unaware of. Now the connections to the internet failed. I called the help phone number, they put me on hold for more than an hour and still no answer. I live in Edmonton, Canada, it is -26C outside today, it is vital that my thermostat function properly. Nest just simply cannot change any software on their product without testing it thoroughly and notify their customers first. Don't buy this product. This is the first time I give a 1 star review in my history of my internet purchase.
Update: Dec 9, 13. It is working now and I raise the rating to 3 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow what a difference!, Nov. 29 2013
The previous thermostat I had bought was only a small step up from the original and I changed it out within a few years to this(Nest) and wow what an giant leap for mankind. Love being in bed and turning up the temp from my phone and or tablet app. Love the detailed usage reports as well. Bought mine in spring 2013 for $149 (1st generation).

5.0 out of 5 stars love it, Nov. 27 2013
This is perfect. love it. it does everything i wanted, was easy to install and almost no difference from the 2nd generation.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great upgrade to have in your home, Nov. 8 2013
I needed a new thermostat for my house and read great reviews about the Nest. The Nest came with all the required tools for an easy installation. It took me 15 minutes to have it installed and running.

The menu on the Nest is very straight forward and user friendly. It takes about a week for your Nest to learn your ideal temperature for the time of day but once it learns your scedule, it becomes seemless.

The App for your phone is also user friendly. You do not ahve to be on Wifi to be able to control your Nest remotely. It also a nice option to have to be able to heat or cool your house before arriving home.

The Nest is a great way to save in the long term. I can say that I have saved about 7% on my monthly bills.

I would recommend the Nest to anyone!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple and elegant home thermostat, Aug. 29 2013
This has got to be the best internet-connected home thermostat - so easy to use. I have two now, one at home, one at our cottage and they make managing heating and cooling very easy. The auto-learn process makes it "people proof" and the ability to check and set things via web or smart device app is one of the best parts. The monthly email with a summary of how you're doing with energy savings versus other Nest users in your area is also great info to get.

5.0 out of 5 stars got one for the house and now one for the office, Aug. 10 2013
This is just the best idea. Finally in the last software revision there is a filter change reminder. This is great!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product (1st Generation NEST), July 29 2013
After couple of weeks of use: I'll make it short

Pros: Love the product, love the appearance, lots of features, easy to install

Cons: Mobile app was giving me hard time. Only 20% of time I was able to control the unit using my phone. A questions mark appeared and the NEST could not be waken up by my cellphone. After disabling AUTO AWAY mode on the thermostat, my success rate is about 95% positive that my cell phone can operate the thermostat.
My NEST is little bulky and 2nd generation is somewhat thinner (about a 1/4") so it could be a way to go for some of you.

Overall: This product is great if it works on your cellphone since in most cases that is the purpose to spend so much money for one of these thermostats. Very cool design, very easy to install. I would recommend this product to anybody.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favorite things...., July 25 2013
I love my Nest. Bought it here and installed it last November. Went 1st Gen to save a few $, no regrets. I'm in Alberta, so winter can be harsh on the prairies. I have to admit, I can be forgetful and a wuss. If I remembered to turn the old thermostat down at bedtime, I hated to get out of my cozy bed to a frosty house. I often did not turn the temperature down as much because of that. My work schedule can be irregular, so no way for the Nest to truly learn it, but I easily program in my schedule for the week using the iPhone app. Using my settings and the early on, I turn the heat down more than I ever did at night and wake up to a warm home. The same goes with our recently installed central air, the house is a nice cool temperature when I get home from work, warmer but bearable for my dogs during the day.

It does tend to cycle my equipment more than I had heard before, I assume this is the charging process, but I am not aware of any damage to my system. It loses Wifi at times, but not too frequently. The leaf setting challenges me to try to save more energy, and I love the monthly reports that show household usage as well as how you measure up against other users. If my parents did not already have a programmable thermostat, I would have bought them one of these because I believe it is very simple and user-friendly. And if they were to have trouble, I would be able to program and troubleshoot theirs remotely from the app as well!

I could not be happier with the Nest, and all the perks that go with it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, July 20 2013
Awesome product, works great, great features.

My only complaint is that I had to add a common wire to my system, which it doesn't explain well in any of the literature. Without a common wire, the thermostat will charge while the system (furnace, a/c, whatever) is running, and when the system is off, the Nest will attempt to charge it's battery is by cycling on and off the system. The nest is supposed to do this fast enough that the system doesn't have time to start up, but on some systems this can be troublesome, and it also takes forever to charge this way. When I first got my Nest and didn't have a common wire hooked up, it's battery was so dead that it wouldn't even boot up to be able to turn my furnace on.
Despite this, I think it's a great product, I just wish they explained the charging strategy a little better in the instructions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing product!, July 10 2013
Took me less than 5 minutes to install, and started working instantly. Double check the nest website if your house is compatible. Takes a few seconds to do.

‹ Previous | 1 2 38 | Next ›