Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage SmartSaver Kitchen Kindle Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Countdown to Black Friday in Lawn & Garden

on December 24, 2012
From the designers of the iPhone comes a superb device for the modern home. Very well packages and complete with everything necessary to install it even a set of screwdrivers. Very clear instructions on how to install are given as well as a link to an instructional video. It took me 30 minutes to install the unit. I had occasion to phone for support, which was provided immediately by a bilingual technician based in Utah. He patiently stepped me through the set-up, which was very straightforward. This device requires internet access 24 hours a day , so that it can check the weather forecast, acquire new software updates and be remotely accessed from your mobile smartphone or laptop. The amazing thing about this thermostat is that it is is quite automatic in the sense that it determines your lifestyle and adjust the heating/cooling by itself. One can override it as you wish. For instance it will automatically determine the time it will take the furnace to reach the desired temperature for the time that it knows that you get up in the morning. It senses when you leave the house for work and adjusts the temperature accordingly. If you go away for a weekend, one can access the unit remotely from a smartphone or laptop to tell it to start the furnace or ac unit in order to have a comfortable house when you get back. It takes about a week to learn your habits or you can provide some assistance. The remote client shows a log of furnace/ac unit usage, the schedule it is using as well as the settings information. The thermostat can be locked to stop children tampering with it.
The only difference between version 1 and 2 is that the latter is thinner (doesn't protrude from the wall as far as v1).
A very impressive piece of engineering!
on January 2, 2013
This product is genius. I bought the 1st gen as it was discounted leading up to the holidays. For the small difference in the usual price, however, I would go for the 2nd generation version, but the functionality you get with this version (via the update-able software) is identical - it just looks slightly different (20% thinner and a smooth sensor panel on the front).

It is easy to install and looks great. The functionality is amazing - it just works. It quickly learnt our schedule and is super easy to operate from the unit itself (which feels like top quality when turning the 'dial') and the ultra-slick, high functioning iPhone app. Love that I can set it to away during the day and then make sure that the house is warm by the time we get home all from the app.

I never thought owning a thermostat could be so addictive and fun (maybe I should get out more?!)
on July 20, 2013
Awesome product, works great, great features.

My only complaint is that I had to add a common wire to my system, which it doesn't explain well in any of the literature. Without a common wire, the thermostat will charge while the system (furnace, a/c, whatever) is running, and when the system is off, the Nest will attempt to charge it's battery is by cycling on and off the system. The nest is supposed to do this fast enough that the system doesn't have time to start up, but on some systems this can be troublesome, and it also takes forever to charge this way. When I first got my Nest and didn't have a common wire hooked up, it's battery was so dead that it wouldn't even boot up to be able to turn my furnace on.
Despite this, I think it's a great product, I just wish they explained the charging strategy a little better in the instructions.
on July 29, 2013
After couple of weeks of use: I'll make it short

Pros: Love the product, love the appearance, lots of features, easy to install

Cons: Mobile app was giving me hard time. Only 20% of time I was able to control the unit using my phone. A questions mark appeared and the NEST could not be waken up by my cellphone. After disabling AUTO AWAY mode on the thermostat, my success rate is about 95% positive that my cell phone can operate the thermostat.
My NEST is little bulky and 2nd generation is somewhat thinner (about a 1/4") so it could be a way to go for some of you.

Overall: This product is great if it works on your cellphone since in most cases that is the purpose to spend so much money for one of these thermostats. Very cool design, very easy to install. I would recommend this product to anybody.
on January 9, 2013
When I opened the box, it reminded me of Apple packaging. I realized last week that an ex Apple executive is involved somewhere in The Nest.

I have owned it for about 3 months.

Looks beautiful.
Operates exactly as expected.
Setup was as easy as imaginable.
Controlling via the internet has not failed once.
When people complement you on the beauty of your thermostat, you know someone put some thought into designing it.

My setup: Heat only (Gas). Single thermostat. Manually scheduled (I don't use the Learning function). The web interface for setting a schedule was as simple as using a calendar and copy paste function.

I called the customer service before buying it to see what type of service I would get if things go wrong. It was quick and accommodating.
on November 8, 2013
I needed a new thermostat for my house and read great reviews about the Nest. The Nest came with all the required tools for an easy installation. It took me 15 minutes to have it installed and running.

The menu on the Nest is very straight forward and user friendly. It takes about a week for your Nest to learn your ideal temperature for the time of day but once it learns your scedule, it becomes seemless.

The App for your phone is also user friendly. You do not ahve to be on Wifi to be able to control your Nest remotely. It also a nice option to have to be able to heat or cool your house before arriving home.

The Nest is a great way to save in the long term. I can say that I have saved about 7% on my monthly bills.

I would recommend the Nest to anyone!
on January 1, 2013
A friend had shown me this thermostat back in the summer, and I was immediately interested. It does an amazing job of monitoring the conditions in the home, from temperature, to humidity. With it's learning abilities no longer do I have to program and re-program the thermostat during the year. As it is connected to the internet, it downloads local weather and uses that info to smartly adjust when to turn on the furnace and when not to. Its auto-away feature is very handy, as I don't need to worry about lowering the temperature if we leave the house for a while. And it's energy usage graph shows how often and for how long, the furnace or AC was on, which allows me to better adjust our energy usage.

The install was a snap and very easy. Took about 30min to get installed and set up.
on June 6, 2013
I do not know whether it is the Nest or my wireless router, but the connection drops off every few days and I have to reconnect it by resetting the connection through the Nest Settings Menu Item. If I am away for a few weeks and the communication link drops between the Nest and the Router I would not be able to change the temperature on the Nest remotely; which is why I bought this thermostat for. I do not know how to check where the problem is. Should the Nest not be automatically re-establish the connection if dropped?

Other than the problem above the Nest is very well designed and attractive piece of equipment. Easy to install and all the parts needed were supplied.
on July 9, 2014
I give my NEST 4/5 stars because of some glitchy interface with my router. My router was a modem/router combo (I know, not ideal) but had a bad connection with the NEST (even though the signal strength was perfect) that resulted in the battery constantly draining on the thermostat. NEST recommended I get a router to go with my modem and that fixed everything. I would have been happier is the solution wasn't for me to buy another product because my router seemed to work fine with my other devices.

Other than that I love the features of my NEST and don't think I could go back to one that isn't connected with a great learning interface.
on January 10, 2013
Installed it for elderly parents who would never manage with a conventional programmable thermostat. Took less than 10 minutes to install. Very well made and looks great. Much easier to adjust the turn dial than to push little buttons which is perfect for seniors who have trouble seeing as is the large, bright display. Even without the self-programming and extra features just the display, the appearance and the smoothness of adjusting this unit it would be well worth it. Not having to wade through a few pages of poorly written programming instructions is icing on the cake.

I would give this item more stars if I could.