5.0 out of 5 stars Very accurate. Fast readings. Cheap
Published on May 30 2012 by P. Chevrette

3.0 out of 5 stars Accurate for temperature, but not for humidity
Published on Nov. 26 2012 by KaLee

3.0 out of 5 stars Accurate for temperature, but not for humidity, Nov. 26 2012
This review is from: La Crosse Technology WT-137U Digital Thermometer/Hygrometer with Comfort Meter (Clear) (Misc.)
With a house full of hardwood flooring and a grand piano, it is important that we maintain a humidity level as consistent as possible. For the first few months after purchasing this device, we were glad (although a bit skeptical) to see the humidity registering 40 percent, give or take a few percent. When the temperature dropped to minus 20 degrees outside, we expected to return home from a one-week vacation to find ice had formed at the inside corners of our windows based on previous experience with high indoor humidity and cold outside temperatures. Instead, no ice -- so this confirmed our suspicion that the LaCrosse wasn't accurate. A few days later, our piano technician measured the humidity at 25 percent with his expensive hygrometer -- a difference of 15 percent between the two meters. I trust this fellow's equipment -- he tunes pianos for our city's philharmonic orchestra. He mentioned the LaCrosse device works accurately in regions with very high humidity (such as the southern U.S.), but not in our dry climate. If not for the low price paid, we would have been disappointed in this product. At least the temperature measurement is accurate.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very accurate. Fast readings. Cheap, May 30 2012
P. Chevrette (Drummondville, QC, Canada) - See all my reviews
I have La Crosse Technology hygrometer. A professional came to my house to measure humidity with a very sophisticated instrument. It's own humidity readings were in line with the one that I have. So, I've bought two these cheap little hygrometers from the same company and their readings are in line with the other one that I already have. So, it's very accurate and cheap. Furthermore, it reacts with humidity change fast enough.

The only con that I can think of is the needle. ASHRAE recommend a humidity level from 30% to 60% and this one tells it's wet at 65%. The comfort level is known to be between 40 and 50% approximately.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not accurate, Dec 15 2013
I bought this, the Honeywell H10C, and a high quality Omega sampling hygrometer (~$400) with 3rd party calibration certificate. The Omega and the Honeywell usually agree within +-1.5%. This La Crosse is usually high by about 10%.

It's possible I got a lemon, but I would never recommend this product to anybody. If you're looking for an accurate one, get the Honeywell H10C.

2.0 out of 5 stars not recommended, Feb. 25 2013
I purchased two of these, specifically for the humidity reading. They both read at different values even when they sit side by side.
I'm not impressed. But based on the price, I guess I should have known.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product. Great price!, Dec 15 2012
Brad Hogg (Manitoba, Canada) - See all my reviews
This little meter does exactly what it should do. We have not bothered with the min/max readings because all we wanted was a hygrometer for the house. This unit gives you that plus a thermometer in a a very easy to read package. Additionally, the meter shows a "comfort" meter, to help those of us who are less informed about what a "normal" humidity level should be in our home. We found that, being on the Canadian prairies in the winter, the humidity in the house is about 25% and that's in the "very dry" range...as we'd expected.

The unit can be switched between deg F and deg C easily. It comes with a small fold out stand for table top mount plus a keyhole slot for wall mounting.

I'm considering buying a second unit to track the humidity in my garage.

We're very happy with this purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars EASY READ WHEATHER CENTER, July 15 2012
weaselhead (Calgary, Alberta, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I FOUND THIS GAUGE EASY TO READ AND IT STARTS RAPIDLY. HUMIDITY REACTS VERY QUICKLY AND SCALE IS HANDY. THE CR 2032 BATTERY IS AVAILABLE FROM AMAZON : DURACELL BATTERY SHOP, AND THE SET IS CHEAPER THAN RETAIL ON SALE.

4.0 out of 5 stars Instrumental in resolving my sleep issues, Dec 9 2014
I really like the La Crosse thermometer/hygrometer in every way. It is a 3 1/2' x 3 1/2" square, with a small pull out stand, framed in a clear acrylic, giving it a clean contemporary look. Since it's small, it takes up very little space and it can be put anyplace. The digital readouts for both temperature and humidity are large and clear, and it only takes one AAA battery, supposedly only needing to be replaced every two years. Above the digital readouts is a chart, and the needle gage moves across the chart showing; dry, comfort, and wet 'zones' corresponding to the present humidity readout for the inexperienced person such as myself. The temperature reading is accurate as I have another thermometer (built into my clock on the bedside table), they usually read the same, and if there is a degree difference, it's because one is closer to the window.

I initially bought this item because I was not sleeping well. I have a new very comfortable mattress, good pillows with the exact support and buoyancy I require, soft luxurious sheets, and no major issues on my mind. Although, I was tired at bedtime, it was difficult to fall and stay asleep, I bought this inexpensive gadget on a whim, and as soon as read that the relative humidity in my bedroom was only 21%, I purchased a good humidifier. Since I turn off the humidifier when I am gone during the day, I rely on this hygrometer, and according present RH reading I know when to turn the humidifier on in order to reach the comfort level I need to get a good night rest. My sleep issue is now resolved, and I am sleeping well throughout the night.

For me, the La Crosse digital thermometer/hygrometer fulfilled my requirements.

1.0 out of 5 stars not recommended!, April 23 2014
Absolutely rubbish!The temperature is never accurate! I get a 27 degree C outdoor in Toronto with my two mercury thermometers showing 15 degree C.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little machine, Feb. 4 2014
Works as expected and the min/max values are greatly appreciated. The comfort range helps me to manage my dry bedroom in the winter.

5.0 out of 5 stars great product, July 31 2012
i totally liked it, nice screen and clear view and seems precise. maybe a little bit expensive compare to other brands.