5.0 out of 5 stars Very accurate. Fast readings. Cheap

3.0 out of 5 stars Accurate for temperature, but not for humidity
Published 19 months ago by KaLee

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Accurate for temperature, but not for humidity, Nov. 26 2012
This review is from: La Crosse Technology WT-137U Digital Thermometer/Hygrometer with Comfort Meter (Clear) (Misc.)
With a house full of hardwood flooring and a grand piano, it is important that we maintain a humidity level as consistent as possible. For the first few months after purchasing this device, we were glad (although a bit skeptical) to see the humidity registering 40 percent, give or take a few percent. When the temperature dropped to minus 20 degrees outside, we expected to return home from a one-week vacation to find ice had formed at the inside corners of our windows based on previous experience with high indoor humidity and cold outside temperatures. Instead, no ice -- so this confirmed our suspicion that the LaCrosse wasn't accurate. A few days later, our piano technician measured the humidity at 25 percent with his expensive hygrometer -- a difference of 15 percent between the two meters. I trust this fellow's equipment -- he tunes pianos for our city's philharmonic orchestra. He mentioned the LaCrosse device works accurately in regions with very high humidity (such as the southern U.S.), but not in our dry climate. If not for the low price paid, we would have been disappointed in this product. At least the temperature measurement is accurate.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very accurate. Fast readings. Cheap, May 30 2012
P. Chevrette (Drummondville, QC, Canada) - See all my reviews
I have La Crosse Technology hygrometer. A professional came to my house to measure humidity with a very sophisticated instrument. It's own humidity readings were in line with the one that I have. So, I've bought two these cheap little hygrometers from the same company and their readings are in line with the other one that I already have. So, it's very accurate and cheap. Furthermore, it reacts with humidity change fast enough.

The only con that I can think of is the needle. ASHRAE recommend a humidity level from 30% to 60% and this one tells it's wet at 65%. The comfort level is known to be between 40 and 50% approximately.

5.0 out of 5 stars great product, July 31 2012
i totally liked it, nice screen and clear view and seems precise. maybe a little bit expensive compare to other brands.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not accurate, Dec 15 2013
I bought this, the Honeywell H10C, and a high quality Omega sampling hygrometer (~$400) with 3rd party calibration certificate. The Omega and the Honeywell usually agree within +-1.5%. This La Crosse is usually high by about 10%.

It's possible I got a lemon, but I would never recommend this product to anybody. If you're looking for an accurate one, get the Honeywell H10C.

2.0 out of 5 stars not recommended, Feb. 25 2013
I purchased two of these, specifically for the humidity reading. They both read at different values even when they sit side by side.
I'm not impressed. But based on the price, I guess I should have known.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product. Great price!, Dec 15 2012
Brad Hogg (Manitoba, Canada) - See all my reviews
This little meter does exactly what it should do. We have not bothered with the min/max readings because all we wanted was a hygrometer for the house. This unit gives you that plus a thermometer in a a very easy to read package. Additionally, the meter shows a "comfort" meter, to help those of us who are less informed about what a "normal" humidity level should be in our home. We found that, being on the Canadian prairies in the winter, the humidity in the house is about 25% and that's in the "very dry" range...as we'd expected.

The unit can be switched between deg F and deg C easily. It comes with a small fold out stand for table top mount plus a keyhole slot for wall mounting.

I'm considering buying a second unit to track the humidity in my garage.

We're very happy with this purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars EASY READ WHEATHER CENTER, July 15 2012
weaselhead (Calgary, Alberta, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I FOUND THIS GAUGE EASY TO READ AND IT STARTS RAPIDLY. HUMIDITY REACTS VERY QUICKLY AND SCALE IS HANDY. THE CR 2032 BATTERY IS AVAILABLE FROM AMAZON : DURACELL BATTERY SHOP, AND THE SET IS CHEAPER THAN RETAIL ON SALE.

1.0 out of 5 stars not recommended!, April 23 2014
Absolutely rubbish!The temperature is never accurate! I get a 27 degree C outdoor in Toronto with my two mercury thermometers showing 15 degree C.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little machine, Feb. 4 2014
Works as expected and the min/max values are greatly appreciated. The comfort range helps me to manage my dry bedroom in the winter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works as promised, May 26 2014
I haven't had any problems, it seems to work, although I don't have anything else to compare it to. I live in a basement and it shows about 60-65% humidity, which seems about right.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›