Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Cyber Monday Deals Week in Home & Kitchen Kindle Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Tools

on November 26, 2012
With a house full of hardwood flooring and a grand piano, it is important that we maintain a humidity level as consistent as possible. For the first few months after purchasing this device, we were glad (although a bit skeptical) to see the humidity registering 40 percent, give or take a few percent. When the temperature dropped to minus 20 degrees outside, we expected to return home from a one-week vacation to find ice had formed at the inside corners of our windows based on previous experience with high indoor humidity and cold outside temperatures. Instead, no ice -- so this confirmed our suspicion that the LaCrosse wasn't accurate. A few days later, our piano technician measured the humidity at 25 percent with his expensive hygrometer -- a difference of 15 percent between the two meters. I trust this fellow's equipment -- he tunes pianos for our city's philharmonic orchestra. He mentioned the LaCrosse device works accurately in regions with very high humidity (such as the southern U.S.), but not in our dry climate. If not for the low price paid, we would have been disappointed in this product. At least the temperature measurement is accurate.
on May 30, 2012
I have La Crosse Technology hygrometer. A professional came to my house to measure humidity with a very sophisticated instrument. It's own humidity readings were in line with the one that I have. So, I've bought two these cheap little hygrometers from the same company and their readings are in line with the other one that I already have. So, it's very accurate and cheap. Furthermore, it reacts with humidity change fast enough.

The only con that I can think of is the needle. ASHRAE recommend a humidity level from 30% to 60% and this one tells it's wet at 65%. The comfort level is known to be between 40 and 50% approximately.
on July 28, 2015
I have multipul Hygrometers in my house that I use to check the humidity in my cigar humidors (been collecting cigars for 15 years). Thought id give this a try for my newest humidor.... and I was not happy I did. The temperature seems to be accurate but the humidity readings are off by around 20% !!!! This is not acceptable. Needless to say its going back (first bad purchase form amazon :(
TOP 500 REVIEWERon June 5, 2013
I bought this model to be able to read the temperature of a room, but also the humidity level.

I like that it uses a normal AAA battery.

The temperature reading matches that of other thermometer in the house. However, the humidity indicator seems to be consistantly lower by about 20%...

Just to make sure, I've stopped my A/C that also dries the house and all my other hygrometer went up to 65-70% humidity, but this one stayed at 43% humidity...

I've had it for 4 days now and I hope that it will slowlycorrect itself...

Still, it's not very expensive and the design is nice. It uses normal AAA battery and is quite compact and fits nicely on the corner of a cupboard.
on July 15, 2012
on December 4, 2014
Bought two of these. The temp is off on both by 3 degrees or so and the humidity on one is 5% high and 7% on the other one based on the salt calibration test. Bought it because of the name...terribly inaccurate
TOP 50 REVIEWERon December 9, 2014
I really like the La Crosse thermometer/hygrometer in every way. It is a 3 1/2' x 3 1/2" square, with a small pull out stand, framed in a clear acrylic, giving it a clean contemporary look. Since it's small, it takes up very little space and it can be put anyplace. The digital readouts for both temperature and humidity are large and clear, and it only takes one AAA battery, supposedly only needing to be replaced every two years. Above the digital readouts is a chart, and the needle gage moves across the chart showing; dry, comfort, and wet 'zones' corresponding to the present humidity readout for the inexperienced person such as myself. The temperature reading is accurate as I have another thermometer (built into my clock on the bedside table), they usually read the same, and if there is a degree difference, it's because one is closer to the window.

I initially bought this item because I was not sleeping well. I have a new very comfortable mattress, good pillows with the exact support and buoyancy I require, soft luxurious sheets, and no major issues on my mind. Although, I was tired at bedtime, it was difficult to fall and stay asleep, I bought this inexpensive gadget on a whim, and as soon as read that the relative humidity in my bedroom was only 21%, I purchased a good humidifier. Since I turn off the humidifier when I am gone during the day, I rely on this hygrometer, and according present RH reading I know when to turn the humidifier on in order to reach the comfort level I need to get a good night rest. My sleep issue is now resolved, and I am sleeping well throughout the night.

For me, the La Crosse digital thermometer/hygrometer fulfilled my requirements.
on December 15, 2013
I bought this, the Honeywell H10C, and a high quality Omega sampling hygrometer (~$400) with 3rd party calibration certificate. The Omega and the Honeywell usually agree within +-1.5%. This La Crosse is usually high by about 10%.

It's possible I got a lemon, but I would never recommend this product to anybody. If you're looking for an accurate one, get the Honeywell H10C.
on July 15, 2015
Don't forget to peel off the invisible plastic shipping protector from the face of this unit. I thought mine didn't work, and almost returned it. I tried everything, and it would only read 73.5° and 53%... Same as on the picture on the instructions. I finally realized that the digital display was printed on the the invisible protective skin for display purposes. I felt like an idiot. As soon as I peeled it off I could see the real display that was working perfectly.
EDIT: since my initial little blurb, I checked the accuracy of the humidity readings using the "salt test" . I was really surprised to find its calibration was perfect. I had a constant 75% reading for a twenty four hour period, which is perfect. I changed my rating from 4 to 5 stars. I also prefer the clean LED display over some of the thicker, blacker looking read outs on some other brands.
on September 12, 2015
Many reviews point out that the moisture reading is inaccurate. But I have never has a thermometer that cannot tell the temperature.
It reports about 6 degrees too high. Right now it reports 58.2 F while it is actually 53.6 F.
I have the correct temperature using the app Dark Sky.

See 1 answered question