5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite film of 2011
Starring George Clooney, Shailene Woodley, Nick Krause and Amara Miller

***Spoilers within***

Published on March 11 2012 by Steven Aldersley

3.0 out of 5 stars The Descendants
I was somewhat disappointed, I expected more of a story. It was a good movie but not a great movie in my opinion.
Published 18 months ago by Michele Searles

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite film of 2011, March 11 2012
Steven Aldersley (Oshawa, Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Descendants / Les Descendats (Bilingual) [Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy] (Blu-ray)
The Descendants (2011)
Comedy, Drama, 115 minutes
Directed by Alexander Payne
Starring George Clooney, Shailene Woodley, Nick Krause and Amara Miller

***Spoilers within***

It took me about two minutes to decide that The Descendants was going to be my kind of film. It happened during Clooney's opening voice-over in which he observed that, just because they live in paradise, Hawaiians aren't exempt from the usual problems people face. That statement caught my attention because it's true, but it also alerted me to the possibility that the script would be both truthful and more intelligent than most.

Matt King (Clooney) is the kind of character that I can identify with. He's a lawyer and his job is more important to him than his family. He regularly travels to neighboring islands on business and hasn't had a proper relationship with his wife and two daughters for several years. When his wife has an accident which places her in a coma, Matt's life changes instantly. He has to be a father to his daughters and he's completely unprepared.

His younger daughter, Scottie (Miller), is 10 years old. Matt last took care of her when she was three. His other daughter, Alex (Woodley), is 17 and is in a boarding school to help her overcome alcohol and drug problems. When Matt learns that his wife will never wake up, he takes Scottie to collect Alex from the school. Alex is drunk when he turns up and openly defies him early in the film.

Place yourself in Matt's situation for a moment. How would you attempt to console your daughters? What would help you establish some kind of connection with them? If you're all they have left, how will you make them feel as if everything is going to be all right?

Matt isn't happy with Alex because she argued with her mother the last time they spoke, but her reasoning is sound; she found out that her mother was cheating on Matt. Alex insists that her boyfriend, Sid (Krause), stays with her while she is home. Sid appears to be fairly dumb and occasionally stoned. Matt is not happy.

The story really takes off when Matt takes Sid and his daughters to a neighboring island in search of his wife's lover. Another story thread explains that Matt and his many cousins are descended from Hawaiian royalty and own a piece of land worth around $500 million. Matt is the sole trustee and must organize the group of cousins and decide who to sell the land to. A complication emerges later in the story which could have a major impact on his decision, but I won't reveal any more of the film's secrets.

I've watched Clooney develop as an actor over the past few years. He used to be criticized for "always being Clooney", but I think he's proved that there's a lot more to him. His timing is excellent and he always delivers his comedic lines well, but he has to show considerable range as Matt. Many of the scenes require him to show his feelings without the use of words. He goes through a lot of emotions during the film and pulls it off perfectly whether the situations are positive or negative. His performance is human, real, touching, emotional and understandable. I thought he should have won the Oscar for his performance in Up in the Air, but this latest oversight is a glaring error.

What I really liked about the film was the character development. We see Matt grow as expected, but I was stunned by the development shown in Alex and Sid. They both have more to them than meets the eye and I ended up liking both characters tremendously.

The conclusions that Matt reaches by the end of the story seem plausible and fit well with his development as a father and as a responsible adult. I might have reached the same conclusions if I were placed in his shoes.

You'll definitely laugh during The Descendants and you may even be moved to tears.

Alexander Payne, Nat Faxon and Jim Rash won the Oscar for their adaptation of Kaui Hart Hemmings' book and it was thoroughly deserved. It's rare to witness a film with such intelligent writing. The characters and situations are always believable. If you were in their position, you might find yourself behaving in the same way.

The Descendants is my favorite film of 2011 and, in a few years, I suspect many will wonder why it didn't win for Best Picture when we find out whether The Artist has lasting appeal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Paradise offers no king immunity from care, Feb. 25 2012
L. Power "nlp trainer" (San Francisco) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)
Director Alexander Payne has previously directed movies such as Election starring Reese Witherspoon, About Schmidt (Widescreen) starring Jack Nicholson, and Sideways (Widescreen Edition) starring Paul Giamatti, nominated for five Oscars winning one.

Gregory Peck once said it's hard to make a good man look interesting.

You can probably imagine in a cinematic world peopled with antiheroes, flawed heroes, or unrealistic superheroes, how refreshing it might be, to encounter a good guy we can relate to, in situations that parallel those we might actually experience.

George Clooney plays Matt King, a lawyer, businessman, and hardworking mostly absent father of two girls. He happens to be wealthy because of his descent from the original landowners of Hawaii, the real Hawaiians, who own most of Hawaii. Sole trustee of the family's interests, and now because of succession rules faced with the situation of having to sell off thousands of acres of pristine land to resort developers. Despite his family wealth Doug leads a very modest life. He drives a metallic silver Honda Civic, a sensible car.

When his thrillseeking wife ends up in a coma following a powerboating accident, he is thrust into the unfamiliar role of looking after his two daughters each bringing their own challenges. The younger one has difficulties in school, the older one, well, she's a teenager.

We learn early in the movie that the wife had an affair, making a difficult situation even worse. George Clooney Alex Payne manage to create apposite emotions for the movie goer. While distressed he pads out the front door, dons flipflops and runs to his wife's best friend house. He runs funny. A comic relief followed by a dramatic confrontation. Tension, and shock artfully modified by humor make this movie an emotional wonder.

When he breaks the news of his wife's condition to his older daughter she ducks underwater and we see an invisible breakdown. Some of these scenes are tender. In the hospital there are various monologues to the comatose mother, from a cheated husband, an unforgiving daughter, and a wounded wife.

The presence of Clooney vastly elevates the movie, as does the acting performance of Shailene Woodley, giving a tremendous breakthrough performance as the teenager daughter you worry might go off the rails. Judy Greer, who you probably know from Two and a Half Men appears later in the movie.

The Descendants is among the leading Oscar nominated movies. Although nine movies are nominated for Best Picture, only three I believe are genuine contenders, The Artist, and Hugo being the other two. Nominations for The Descendants include Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor, Best Adapted Screenplay.

Previously, Alex Payne won the Academy Award for the Sideways screenplay.

Based onThe Descendants: A Novel by Kaui Hart Hemmings.

Post Academy award update. Payne has now won his second Academy award for Best Adapted Screenplay.

I think you will enjoy one of the years best movies, and I hope this was helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best $5.00 I Ever Spent on a DVD...., June 14 2014
I bought this DVD to make up a $25 order in order to get free shipping. I have always enjoyed George Clooney, loved him in 'ER' and looked forward to his occasional visits on 'Rosanne', however I had never seen much of his recent work. WHAT A SURPRISE! This is a brilliant movie, no glamour involved here, George plays his part of a grieving husband and previously distant father completely convincingly. The movie makes you think, keeps your interest, minimal use of the 'F' word and and when it is used whether you like it or not it fits. It will go down with 'On Golden Pond' as one of my favourite movies about finding the light at the end of what seems to be a never ending dark tunnel. I loved every minute of it. Would recommend it to anybody who enjoys a story which does not involve any sex or violence.

4.0 out of 5 stars LOVE/HATE that kind of film, April 24 2014
Anthony Marinelli "marilread" (toronto on canada) - See all my reviews
I took a cursory glance at some reviewers here at AMAZON/CA a few loved or hated these viewers I take like a set of die ain my hand shake and I get a view about this kind of film? The greek type drama here I see it has attracted close to 200 million in receipts which is way above what I expected for this kind of film..itintrigues from many perspectives. A start its an old film as if the star (prior to Charlton heston clark Gable was to appear in the Hawaiian locale) George Clooney was going into a locale I don't live in Hawaii nor pretend to be in movies..a common viewer like these others who watched..Hawaii..the settings are lush..hardly any local persons or customs intrude into the scenes but the person..here dieing on a bed..like a very old culture where they wait for all to come and see the dead..or dieing before they are put to rest in some setting. The story is very old..as are the morals..a husband has been betrayed..sexual indiscretion or adultery is a part of it..we are uncovering the betrayal..we have two children..who interact with friends..his wife's lover..her spouse.we have a large number of people in this play like setting.

This is a movie..not a play..the scenes need to move briskly, the dialogue, pieces..action, it all needs to move to attract the movie viewer or appeal..it obviously has..does the film drag at all..this film does not appeal to all tastes..we have an actor..as the cover back says..everyone loves George Clooney..thats hardly a compliment. If some disliked or they need to watch develop a sense or but to say everyone likes..hes certainly photogenic and you likely know him as you sit..his previous film performances..stories in the press..it all plays against the drama of a person having morals..what exactly are they?..the kids are disturbed at their mother for some reason..cheating on dad..he takes up the case as he hears his children laments..we play detective try to uncover the past..what went wrong..all the particulars of the persons involved..whether the romantic sparring partner now on the scene..his wifes lover actually had feelings..love..or why has this intruder come into his life. Romance and stories of the cuckold are stories about private detectives where the cuckold plays the sleuth refocus his life..I enjoyed the film the actor pleases since hes able to act get his views emotions across without neddlessly grimacing giving oscure gestures but effortlessly like these types pf dramatisations here he sets the tempo going in all directions..maybe not a character who is anachronistic..but a target but hes certainly is an actor who can find an audience..here after all those Ocean's films derivative as they were..here hes on much firmer ground giving us a picture and the dead person keeps appearing..the oldness.. of the movie..thats just old in terms of time/sequence..like the spools clicking and turning on reels..old regarding the character as that old or a type? The actor as usual especially here is smooth and easy..in a changed locale

5.0 out of 5 stars Great movie!!, April 24 2014
George Clooney rocks in this movie! I purchased this for my son's English project in school and it was a great choice! I could watch this movie a million times, it's just that good!!

5.0 out of 5 stars I was surprised how much I liked the movie, Jan. 28 2014
Sean Murray - See all my reviews
This movie was a surprise. I really enjoyed the film and like it when the movie is much better than I expect. Only issue with the purchase is buying the Blu-ray but you get a SD digital copy. Seems a lot of the studios do this. If I buy the Blu-ray, I expect the digital copy to be HD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Cd, March 4 2013
Totally met my expectation....George Clooney gave a fantastic performance, as well as the girls who play his kids. I will enjoy watching it again soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Good, Feb. 23 2013
This is a really good, feel good, movie. Somewhat of a travel log for Hawaii Good acting. George at his best. All the characters were very believable. Lots of funny stuff.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Descendants, Jan. 31 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars Clooney en grande forme, Nov. 7 2012
Excellent film où nous retrouvons George Clooney en grande forme.

L'histoire d'un père qui s'occupe de ses deux filles à la mort de sa femme.

Rien de très neuf, mais le tout est brillamment interprété avec une fraîcheur certaine.

À regarder pour sourire de la vie et, parfois, avoir la larme à l'oeil.

The Descendants / Les Descendats (Bilingual) [Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy]