5.0 out of 5 stars Universal 100th Anniv. Ed. This Is The Version To Own!
I think fans of this film already know the familiar story line, so I won't get into that here. The great news is it's being presented as part of Universal's 100th Anniversary lineup. As soon as I learned that Universal had finally issued this on DVD, I jumped on it! "Prosperity is just around the corner...."
This 5 out of 5 star screwball classic has only been...
Published 19 months ago by Movieman, Montreal

3.0 out of 5 stars Great movie, horrible price
Published on Aug. 13 2010 by ElyseAli

5.0 out of 5 stars Universal 100th Anniv. Ed. This Is The Version To Own!, Sept. 19 2012
Movieman, Montreal - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: My Man Godfrey (1936) (DVD)
This 5 out of 5 star screwball classic has only been available previously on budget labels (of varying quality), or as a very expensive Criterion release. It's terrific to see Universal releasing this as well as another classic Public Domain title, Charade. The print quality & extras are great, well done. Happy 100th!

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost 80yrs and counting......., Nov. 29 2013
Harold McPeake (New Westminster, British Columbia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Man Godfrey - DVD (DVD)
It is uncommon for any movie to much outlive the period in which it was created ..... but this is certainly one of them.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Man Godfrey (1936), April 22 2013
This review is from: My Man Godfrey - DVD (DVD)
I really enjoyed this movie. Story line moves along nicely. Colorized feature not only adds to the visual enjoyment but also maintains the mood and settings of the venue. Clear and crisp visuals.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Man Godfrey, Feb. 21 2012
This review is from: My Man Godfrey - DVD (DVD)
I'm such a fan of William Powell and he does not disappoint in this film at all. The quality is good and so is the price.

Love the Thin Man series with Mryna Loy, they made a great on screen couple; also...a must see!!! Own them all!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great movie, horrible price, Aug. 13 2010
This review is from: My Man Godfrey (DVD)
I love this movie. It's entertaining, fun and the characters are over the top. It would be a great movie to watch with the kids because it could keep them engaged, but it's even more enjoyable for the adults. The only problem with it is the price. I don't think the extras are worth the extra money. I also found another website thats selling it for $20 dollars cheaper. [...] I'd encourage anyone interested to go there. Or just buy the other dvds that don't offer the extras.

4.0 out of 5 stars All you need to start an asylum is an empty room and the right kind of people, March 11 2007
E. A Solinas "ea_solinas" (MD USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)
This review is from: My Man Godfrey (DVD)
The below-stairs people usually got ignored in old movies. But there's a very interesting twist in "My Man Godfrey," a fun screwball comedy about a rich little girl who adores her secretive homeless-turned-butler. The dialogue is snappy, the storyline is fun, but the relationship between the two leads is never quite convincing.

The list for a charity scavenger hunt includes "lost man." Scatterbrained Irene Bullock (Carole Lombard) is about to lose to her nasty sister, until "lost man" Godfrey (William Powell) volunteers to help her. As a reward, Irene makes Godfrey the new butler for her moneyed Park Avenue family, who turns out to be kind of crazy -- a long-suffering dad, cruel sister, and a mom who sees gnomes.

And it soon becomes clear that Irene has a massive crush on Godfrey, but not only does he reject her, but he keeps his past a secret. And her spiteful sister Cornelia (Gail Patrick) is planning to get back at Godfrey for humiliating her, by framing him for a theft...

Basically "My Man Godfrey" is just a cute little upper-crust storyline of the type that was popular in the 1930s, so people could ignore their Depression troubles for a few hours. And it succeeds at being a solid little comedy -- not quite screwball but occasionally verging on it.

For the first half, we're basically treated to the wacky antics of Irene's family (including a horse in the study), and Godfrey's mild disbelief at what a bunch of weirdos they are. And after that it gets more serious, with Cornelia's war on Godfrey, but the kooky comedy is kept up through witty dialogue and warped family encounters. ("Take a look at the dizzy old gal with the goat." "I've had to look at her for 20 years - that's MRS. Bullock!" "I'm terribly sorry!" "How do you think I feel?").

The only real problem is Godfrey and Irene. They make a cute couple, and ex-hubby-and-wife Powell and Lombard have some nice chemistry. Unfortunately the ending seems very contrived, since Godfrey never gives even the slightest indication that he even really likes Irene, let alone loves her. Not a word, not a gesture.

But taken apart, they do a brilliant job -- Lombard pouts, bubbles, cries and generally flakes around as the scatterbrained Irene, who doesn't recognize Godfrey after he shaves off "those nice whiskers." And Powell has his usual wry, brainy charm, but with a slightly sarcastic edge. Eugene Pallette and Alice Brady are also fun as Irene's longsuffering dad and flaky mom.

"My Man Godfrey" is a classic little comedy of flaky socialites and secretive butlers -- just on this side of screwball. Charming and quirky.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great film deserves better "extras", Jan. 4 2004
Richard E. Hourula (Berkeley, CA. United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Man Godfrey (DVD)
The first time I saw "My Man Godfrey" was on VHS. It was hard to enjoy the film due to the poor quality of the picture. Thanks to the good people at Criterion Collection, this classic screwball comedy from 1936 can now be enjoyed with the clarity of picture it deserves.
"My Man Godfrey" features two of the great actors of their time, William Powell and Carole Lombard along with a stellar supporting cast. The witty script is by Morrie Ryskin who helped write a number of the Marx Brothers early films.
Godfrey (Powell) is rescued from the depression-era dumps and a seeming life of poverty by wealthy heiress Irene Bullock (Lombard) ulitmately to serve as her eccentric family's butler. Godfrey has a foil in Irene's sister who goes so far to set him up for a crime. Godrey is not quite what he appears. Suffice it to say the usual screwball comedy wackiness ensues.
Sadly, Criterion has let viewers down with the DVD's special features. Some outtakes are interesting (actors of yore using profanity!) But a bet is missed with an attempt so show the contrast in life (using contemporary footage) of the haves and have-nots. There is hardly enough here to whet the appetite. The features also include a radio presentation of the story and the obligatory trailer. But that's it! Hopefully another edition with more will be offered someday.

4.0 out of 5 stars All you need to start an asylum is an empty room and the right kind of people, Jan. 10 2009
E. A Solinas "ea_solinas" (MD USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)

5.0 out of 5 stars If you like old movies this is one of the best, May 23 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: My Man Godfrey (DVD)
I have a DVD copy from a Canadian company Cascadia and its excellent video and audio and is perfect except for one scene which is repeated twice in an editing loop- oh well- otherwise its perfect. Great supporting cast.

5.0 out of 5 stars "My Man Godfrey" Still Sparkles after 60 Years, Dec 29 2003
tpm1800 "tpm1800" (Long Island, New York USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Man Godfrey (DVD)
Gregory La Cava's 1936 masterpiece "My Man Godfrey" my well be the best comedy of the '30s. This screwball classic features a witty topnotch script, fast paced direction, fabulous art deco sets and wonderful performances from Carole Lombard and William Powell, as well as, supporting players, Gail Patrick, Mischa Auer, Eugene Pallette, Alan Mowbray and, the particularly dizzy, Alice Brady. This film has never looked better than it has on this Criterion edition. The picture is crisp and clear and way better than any public domain print. In fact, during a recent showing of a PD print on TCM I got out my laptop and ran the Criterion DVD simultaneously and wow, what a difference. The clarity and amount of detail is terrific. I wish the extras had been better and the commentary could have been from the actual stars and creators rather than a film historian but these are petty complaints. If you have been thinking of adding this classic to your collection then pay the extra money and get the best version out there.

ARRAY(0xaa8a8708)