5.0 out of 5 stars "My Man Godfrey" Still Sparkles after 60 Years
Published on Dec 29 2003 by tpm1800

3.0 out of 5 stars WEAK LOOKING PRINT AN IMPROVEMENT!
Considering how truly awful this movie has looked in the past, Criterion's edition of "My Man Godfrey" must be commended for its ressurection of an almost dead cinematic masterpiece. William Powell stars as Godfrey - a bum and forgotten man transformed at the insistance of a madcap heiress (Carole Lombard) into the perfect penguine - her smart-witted butler...
Published on April 22 2003 by Nix Pix

5.0 out of 5 stars "My Man Godfrey" Still Sparkles after 60 Years, Dec 29 2003
tpm1800 "tpm1800" (Long Island, New York USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Man Godfrey (DVD)
Gregory La Cava's 1936 masterpiece "My Man Godfrey" my well be the best comedy of the '30s. This screwball classic features a witty topnotch script, fast paced direction, fabulous art deco sets and wonderful performances from Carole Lombard and William Powell, as well as, supporting players, Gail Patrick, Mischa Auer, Eugene Pallette, Alan Mowbray and, the particularly dizzy, Alice Brady. This film has never looked better than it has on this Criterion edition. The picture is crisp and clear and way better than any public domain print. In fact, during a recent showing of a PD print on TCM I got out my laptop and ran the Criterion DVD simultaneously and wow, what a difference. The clarity and amount of detail is terrific. I wish the extras had been better and the commentary could have been from the actual stars and creators rather than a film historian but these are petty complaints. If you have been thinking of adding this classic to your collection then pay the extra money and get the best version out there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Its worth the extra dollars!, Nov. 18 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: My Man Godfrey (DVD)
I admit I was a bit reluctant to spend the money for this version of the classic movie, being perfectly content (I thought) with the cheaper versions. But having once purchased it, I can assure you it is worth the extra dollars. The picture is crystal clear and the sound (always a problem on some of the other versions) is wonderfully restored. Powell and Lombard never looked or sounded better, even in 1936. The brief missing scene (mentioned in the other review) included here is a nice
addition, adding even more... tension between Godrey and Irene. Godrey is appalled that Irene would enter his private domain and Irene, as ever, is oblivious to all disapproval, having only eyes for Godrey. The radio play is an interesting extra, reuniting the two stars, plus Gail Russell is back as the conniving Cornelia. Also, a young David Niven is in the radio play, as Godfrey's friend Tommy Gray. The commentary is interesting, sometimes more for film students than fans, but still a good addition. Outtakes from any film made in the 1930's are rare, so these, although brief, are a bonus.
All in all, the digital transfer itself is worth the money, the rest of these extras are just gravy for the collector. I highly recommend this disc, for those who cherish the immortal screwball comedy films and the discerning fans of William Powell and Carole Lombard.

2.0 out of 5 stars Criterion DVD an overpriced disappointment, July 9 2003
Scaramouche (Redlands, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Man Godfrey (DVD)
Unfortunately Criterion has (again) cornered the market on a classic film and no other DVD of reasonable quality exists. This DVD, overpriced as all Criterion entries are, is a disappointment. The restoration is not particularly good, with fuzzy resolution and distortion around the edges in many scenes. The sound quality, too, is well below par for a premium-priced DVD. Compare this disk with the superb DVDs of "Sunset Boulevard" (Paramount) and "All About Eve" (20th Century Fox). On both of these disks, the picture and sound restoration, as well as the bonus features, far surpass Criterion's "Godfrey" at a far, far lower price. Criterion is lazily riding the reputation they built years ago with laser disks when the competition was mainly VHS, and still charging laser disk prices for a product that is less than premium. They need to 1) improve quality and 2) reduce prices to realistic levels. If not, the best thing would be for them to overprice themselves out of business. They certainly are no longer the "criterion" against which all video should be evaluated.

3.0 out of 5 stars WEAK LOOKING PRINT AN IMPROVEMENT!, April 22 2003
Nix Pix (Windsor, Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Man Godfrey (DVD)
Considering how truly awful this movie has looked in the past, Criterion's edition of "My Man Godfrey" must be commended for its ressurection of an almost dead cinematic masterpiece. William Powell stars as Godfrey - a bum and forgotten man transformed at the insistance of a madcap heiress (Carole Lombard) into the perfect penguine - her smart-witted butler!
Previously issued, bootlegged VHS tapes, as well as late night viewings of this movie on television have been painful to watch. Criterion's restoration efforts are a subtle step in the right direction. However, I would be interested in learning how much more can be done with the original film elements.
For the record, "My Man Godfrey" still exhibits a soft picture with low contrast levels and an excessive amount of film grain. Blacks and shadow levels are very weak and there are certain scenes where the gray scale is reduced to either pure black or white visual representation, with an understandable loss of fine detail and over all image clarity. Still, the many rips, chips, tears and water damage, that one was used to seeing before, have all been tempered or all-together eliminated from this print. Many scenes on this transfer exhibit image quality that is quite satisfactory. The audio on this disc is mono but nicely restored. There are several glaring examples of pops and crackles that can be heard, as well as a persistant strident characteristic throughout. But believe me when I say that "My Man Godfrey" - save its premiere, has never looked or sounded better for the home video market.
EXTRAS: Criterion can't convince me of their hefty price tag for a petty audio commentary and inclusion of the Lux Radio Broadcast of this movie included herein. If the price of this disc dropped to around the twenty dollar level I'd be recommending it wholly for your consumption. As it stands, only a die hard fan of this legendary screwball comedy would invest in this disc - there's still much restoration work that needs to be done and the extras, quite frankly, are not worth the price!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the highpoints in the history of screen comedy, May 30 2002
Robert Moore (Chicago, IL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Man Godfrey (DVD)
MY MAN GODFREY is one of the few films that I have been able to watch over and over and over through the years.
There are many things to praise in this film, but most of it centers upon the cast. I can't imagine any actor more perfect for the title role than William Powell, and despite his long and extremely distinguished career Powell's turn as Godfrey was, in my opinion, the highpoint of his career. As great as Powell is, Carole Lombard just might be better. She was, in my opinion, the greatest screen comedienne there has ever been. No actress was in as many screwball classics as Lombard. And she had the great fortune to be as beautiful as she was talented. As good as Powell and Lombard are, however, they are matched scene for scene by a number of superlative character actors and actresses. Alice Brady is hysterical as the mother of the family. Ironically, she was the widow of Flo Ziegfield, and earlier in 1936, the year MY MAN GODFREY was released, William Powell starred as her husband in that year's Oscar winning film, THE GREAT ZIEGFIELD. If you watch this film several times, as I have, one of the ongoing delights is Brady's frequent inane utterances. Mischa Auer, who plays Alice Brady's protégé, steals nearly every scene he is in, and does perhaps the most hysterical imitation of a monkey in the history of film. Eugene Pallette is one of my all-time favorite character actors. Along with his turn as Friar Tuck in the Errol Flynn version of THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD and his role as Henry Fonda's father in THE LADY EVE, this is my favorite Pallette role. As the long suffering family patriarch, Pallette provides a degree of sanity to what is otherwise one of the most insane film families one is ever likely to encounter. The rest of the cast is also as strong as one could hope.
A mark of how strong the cast was is the fact that despite a profound bias against comedy in 1930s Oscar nominations (and, indeed, in all decades, the persistent preference being given to more serious films), MY MAN GODFREY managed acting nominations in all four acting categories (Powell, Lombard, Auer, and Brady). Unbelievably, neither Lombard, widely regarded as the greatest comic actress in the history of film, nor Powell ever won an Oscar.
The script is strong, with many, many very fine jokes and comic scenes. The film is slightly dated by what we in the early 21st century would regard as naïve optimism in regard to social problems, but that is also part of the film's charm. It would be nice if we today could recover some of that naïveté, if we could believe that people were motivated less by greed and more by higher values.
This is not just a must see film. It is a must see over and over. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning! Just be sure to buy the Criterion Edition..., March 6 2002
elances (trapped in an artistic wasteland, SW USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Man Godfrey (DVD)
This is one of my 5 favorite films, and is my favorite comedy of all time. To my mind, the world of cinema suffered its greatest tragedy with the untimely death of the great Carole Lombard in a plane crash during a War Bonds tour of the country. After I saw My Man Godfrey for the first time as a child, I sought information about this wonderful actress. When I read the account of her death, I cried so hard, even though the event had happened many years earlier. I find her performances so extraordinary that I still experience sadness when I think about how much enjoyment she gave and still gives others through her film legacy, yet her own happiness was cut woefully short. I feel that this is her finest film. The script is delightful, and the rest of the cast performs flawlessly! I could watch this film once a week and never tire of it.
The Criterion Edition DVD is superb. The image is excellent for such an old film, and the sound quality is quite good (unlike the other DVD's and VHS editions of this movie, which are terrible transfers). The commentary track is a little dry and on the scholarly side, but quite informative. The best extras on this DVD are the brief outtakes that they unearthed from the vaults (hilarious, with some profanity from the cast) and the terrific radio broadcast version of My Man Godfrey with Carole Lombard and William Powell. The outtakes are in rather bad shape, but it is amazing that they survived at all. The sound quality of the radio play is crystal clear.
Rush out and buy this before it goes out of print!

5.0 out of 5 stars Powell & Lombard personify the "SCREWBALL COMEDIES", Oct. 26 2001
forrie (Nashua, NH United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Man Godfrey (DVD)
With digitally restored picture and sound release of "My Man Godfrey" (Criterian Collection) DVD gives us the cleanest most comphrensive "Screwball Comedy" presentation ever!!! Full Screen and flawless Black & White picture with clear sound allows into this world to enjoy. The extras share more background information regarding the "Screwball Comedy".
A Brief explanation regarding "SCREWBALL COMEDY". This style was apated during the depression era when the world Dark (alternate & original name given to the Screwball Comedy) and cynical world. Simply put, a comedy to which we have zany and dizzy story lines which for some reason strike our funny bones and cause us to laugh uncontrolablly. Many Dark and Negative stories take on a satarical form. We poke fun at the absurd learn to look for the "sliver lining" the opermistic side of the story/situation.
In Summary: We find ourselves immersed in the depression years at the New York City dump with the rich heirs and heiresses involved in a scavenger hunt (looking for the "Forgotten Man") and the poor destitute living amongst this rubble. A zany young heiress Irene Bullock (Carole Lombard) finds a "Forgotten Man" Godfrey (William Powell). His attraction to this girl & curiosity satisfied returns to the scavenger hunt headquarters so Irene can win the hunt.
Irene admires Godfrey and hires him on the spot to be the family butler and her protege' or "My Man Godfrey".
This is one of the all time classic Screwball comedies and Carole Lombard with William Powell give us a great performance.
We need to see this movie and listen to the commentary to remember and understand the 1930's the depresssion and how the world coped and survived to give us the "GREATEST GENERATION".
"OUR MAN GODFREY" delivers.

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars and beyond - This one is true restoration., June 12 2003
This review is from: My Man Godfrey (DVD)
This is a brilliant screwball comedy.
Now enough for the movie review, and let's go to plain hard facts about how much cleaner and better the picture and sound quality improvement is.
1. Get cheap PD copy of this film ...
2. After viewing it (if possible), throw it away.
3. Get the Criterion version (... I think is slightly less at Amazon.com).
You will immediately notice how much clearer the picture is, and how much better the sound is. This movie has always been a keeper, but even the greatest keeper with bad picture, and poor sound is barely tollerable. For those that want to omit steps 1 and 2, watch the outtakes segment or trailer to give yourself an idea of what the cheapie version of this film would have been like (although even they were better). The criterion version is definately the best version to get.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Restoration Job, Aug. 28 2003
This review is from: My Man Godfrey (DVD)
The plot is a classic love story with an interesting twist and is well worth watching if you can get past the fact that this is a restored Black & White masterpiece.
I am extremely impressed with the attention to detail that Criterion put into restoring this movie. The audio in particular is a vast improvement from the VHS version, which I also own.
Contrary to another reviewer who complained about the price, I thought the extra money was WELL WORTH IT.
My only complaint is that I can't buy more quality (Criterion) DVD classics from this era - especially the William Powell & Myrna Loy collaborations.
You get what you pay for, in this case a premium price gets you a premium restored product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't forget this movie about a 'Forgotten Man!', Nov. 20 2002
"dspjr" (Dublin, OH USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Man Godfrey (DVD)
In my opinion there are very few movies which translate out of their own time periods -- comedies especially seem to become dated quickly. It is to this movies credit that it is still amusing to 21st century audiences. Screen greats Carole Lombard and William Powell make this movie glitter, but it is the ensemble of characters which make this movie really endearing. Mischa Auer as the hungry protege Carlo and Jean Dixon as Molly the sassy maid especially steal every scene they are in. Although released in the middle of the Great Depression, this movie does manage to make a serious point about the hypocrisy of economic/class bigotry. We are all just a few bits of luck from being rich or poor, famous or forgotten.

My Man Godfrey (Sous-titres français) [Import]