4.0 out of 5 stars Diamond Dave is Back
Published 4 months ago by Joe Canada

2.0 out of 5 stars OK but not great
I bought this album in the week leading into the VH concert that was coming to town. Not a bad effort, but I haven't listened to it very much since the show. A few good songs, but nothing that I'd call a classic, or any songs that I figure I'll go back to in a years time. Good to hear what the guys are up to and how they sound in 2012, but not much more than that.
Published on April 11 2012 by TWC-29

4.0 out of 5 stars Diamond Dave is Back, Feb. 24 2015
Excellent return for Diamond Dave. This album fits in nicely with the rest of the Roth-era albums. Doesn't sound like they're having as much fun as their heyday but they are older and I would be surprised if they were even in the same room while making it. Great songs no matter how you slice it. My only gripe (as with most albums now) is that it is excessively loud and because of that there is a lot of distortion and sound quality is compromised. But that is the norm now.

4.0 out of 5 stars I like it. I would prefer to hear less Wah ..., Jan. 23 2015
J. Boisvert (Ottawa, ON Canada) - See all my reviews
Overall, I like it. I would prefer to hear less Wah Wah pedals being used on this record, but there are some pretty good guitar riffs and solos all around like You and Your Blues. My understanding is that they recorded the album live in the studio - the sound is ok, but prefer something around the line of 1984 sound wise.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great to have the boys back, April 29 2013
This review is from: A Different Kind Of Truth (Deluxe CD/DVD) (Audio CD)
Welcome back to 1977, well maybe not but it's still good to have something new that sounds as good as VH1. My favorites are Tattoo and Stay Frosty bringing back memories of You Really Got Me and Ice Cream Man. Enjoy this album from beginning to end.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is an amazing album!, Jan. 18 2013
SteveM (Brossard, Quebec Canada) - See all my reviews
A must have for Van Halen fans. All of the songs are great. Very much in the style of old Van Halen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Van Heaven, Feb. 13 2012
This review is from: A Different Kind Of Truth (Deluxe CD/DVD) (Audio CD)
I'm a man of very few words...but WOW! When I heard this I was floored. I was lucky enough to see their final tour in 1984 and when I say "their" I mean Van Halen with Dave. They just rocked the house, as they do here yet again. I became an instant fan and have been ever since. They were and have become again THE Rock Band. No soft Sammy songs on here, these songs all kick your butt. I love the Happy Trails homage on the disc and finally can listen to a whole cd from start to finish, (very rare these days) People, if you loved these guys up to and including 1984 you need this cd to let you know that Rock & Roll is alive and still actually kicking!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Could be their best yet..., March 22 2012
Steve G "Steve G" (Victoria, BC Canada) - See all my reviews
I've listened through the album 20+ times now and there's not a dull moment from beginning to end. This is packed with dynamics and top-class musicianship. Alex, Ed and Wolfie are at the top of their game with relentless powerhouse performances from all 3. Dave's signature style doesn't letup anywhere and his lyrics are great, some of the best he's written (IMHO) "Mistakes make people, isn't that what people say; let's unplan the moment, dance the night away". Def a winner for any VH fan!

5.0 out of 5 stars Smokin!, March 9 2012
Spidey (Scarborough, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Different Kind Of Truth (Deluxe CD/DVD) (Audio CD)
I wasn't expecting much from this to tell you the truth, especially hearing the first single Tattoo. Which I still hate but thats another story. This record has Monster riffs and great playing like the old VH. Which a lot of it actually is but hey they wrote it so they should play it. Go out and get this album you won't be dissapointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Greatest band in the world!, Nov. 17 2014
This review is from: A Different Kind Of Truth (Deluxe CD/DVD) (Audio CD)
One of the best albums I've ever listened to. Can compete with any old VH album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything I hoped for, Feb. 7 2012
LeBrain - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)
This review is from: A Different Kind Of Truth (Deluxe CD/DVD) (Audio CD)
I've read every word printed between the year 2000 and now that was available about the new Van Halen album with DLR. I've been waiting patiently. The band tried once a decade ago and never got off the launch pad. Then Sammy came back. Then Sammy left. Then Mike was fired, and Wolfie was in.

And lemme tell you folks, Wolfie can PLAY. No offense to Mikey, the original, but Wolfie plays circles around him. And not only that, his chemistry with his dad (and uncle too) is infectious. Never before have you heard syncopated unison bass and guitar runs on a Van Halen album, not like this.

The star of the show is Edward Van Halen. I wanted to hear an album that made me say "Holy ****, how the hell did he do that?" And that's what I said when I first heard "China Town" a couple weeks ago.

The whole album is like that. Eddie is riffing, flying into a quick lick that sounds impossible, then back to the riff. Just like the old days. The album is largely based on unused Van Halen songs from the early 70's such as "Down In Flames" and "Ripley". Now dubbed with new lyrics and titles (all but the smokin' "She's The Woman"), the band has sewn new life into these amazing tracks. With Wolfie's pulsing bass, Ed's impossible guitar, and Alex driving the whole thing, this who record smokes. Not one weak track.

Well, I know a lot of people didn't like "Tattoo". But fear not. New single it may be, but it's far from the best track on this album. My faves include: "She's The Woman", "China Town", "As Is", and "Big River". Still there are no songs that I would skip.

And Dave's lyrics? Just as clever and cheaky as ever. While Dave waxes poetic on many songs, don't expect him to suddenly want to deliver a message. Any messages about the state of the union (politic or VH) have no place on A Different Kind Of Truth.

The acoustic DVD sucks, but Dave's handwitten lyrics and drawings are awesome.

5 stars, ain't talkin' bout anything less

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, June 2 2015
as expected

A Different Kind Of Truth (Deluxe CD/DVD)
A Different Kind Of Truth (Deluxe CD/DVD) by Van Halen (Audio CD - 2012)