5.0 out of 5 stars Great to have the boys back
Welcome back to 1977, well maybe not but it's still good to have something new that sounds as good as VH1. My favorites are Tattoo and Stay Frosty bringing back memories of You Really Got Me and Ice Cream Man. Enjoy this album from beginning to end.
Published 15 months ago by peter

2.0 out of 5 stars OK but not great
I bought this album in the week leading into the VH concert that was coming to town. Not a bad effort, but I haven't listened to it very much since the show. A few good songs, but nothing that I'd call a classic, or any songs that I figure I'll go back to in a years time. Good to hear what the guys are up to and how they sound in 2012, but not much more than that.
Published on April 11 2012 by TWC-29

5.0 out of 5 stars Great to have the boys back, April 29 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars This is an amazing album!, Jan. 18 2013
SteveM (Brossard, Quebec Canada) - See all my reviews
A must have for Van Halen fans. All of the songs are great. Very much in the style of old Van Halen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Van Heaven, Feb. 13 2012
This review is from: A Different Kind Of Truth (Deluxe CD/DVD) (Audio CD)
I'm a man of very few words...but WOW! When I heard this I was floored. I was lucky enough to see their final tour in 1984 and when I say "their" I mean Van Halen with Dave. They just rocked the house, as they do here yet again. I became an instant fan and have been ever since. They were and have become again THE Rock Band. No soft Sammy songs on here, these songs all kick your butt. I love the Happy Trails homage on the disc and finally can listen to a whole cd from start to finish, (very rare these days) People, if you loved these guys up to and including 1984 you need this cd to let you know that Rock & Roll is alive and still actually kicking!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Could be their best yet..., March 22 2012
Steve G "Steve G" (Victoria, BC Canada) - See all my reviews
I've listened through the album 20+ times now and there's not a dull moment from beginning to end. This is packed with dynamics and top-class musicianship. Alex, Ed and Wolfie are at the top of their game with relentless powerhouse performances from all 3. Dave's signature style doesn't letup anywhere and his lyrics are great, some of the best he's written (IMHO) "Mistakes make people, isn't that what people say; let's unplan the moment, dance the night away". Def a winner for any VH fan!

5.0 out of 5 stars Smokin!, March 9 2012
Chad Campbell (Scarborough, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Different Kind Of Truth (Deluxe CD/DVD) (Audio CD)
I wasn't expecting much from this to tell you the truth, especially hearing the first single Tattoo. Which I still hate but thats another story. This record has Monster riffs and great playing like the old VH. Which a lot of it actually is but hey they wrote it so they should play it. Go out and get this album you won't be dissapointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything I hoped for, Feb. 7 2012
LeBrain - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: A Different Kind Of Truth (Deluxe CD/DVD) (Audio CD)
I've read every word printed between the year 2000 and now that was available about the new Van Halen album with DLR. I've been waiting patiently. The band tried once a decade ago and never got off the launch pad. Then Sammy came back. Then Sammy left. Then Mike was fired, and Wolfie was in.

And lemme tell you folks, Wolfie can PLAY. No offense to Mikey, the original, but Wolfie plays circles around him. And not only that, his chemistry with his dad (and uncle too) is infectious. Never before have you heard syncopated unison bass and guitar runs on a Van Halen album, not like this.

The star of the show is Edward Van Halen. I wanted to hear an album that made me say "Holy ****, how the hell did he do that?" And that's what I said when I first heard "China Town" a couple weeks ago.

The whole album is like that. Eddie is riffing, flying into a quick lick that sounds impossible, then back to the riff. Just like the old days. The album is largely based on unused Van Halen songs from the early 70's such as "Down In Flames" and "Ripley". Now dubbed with new lyrics and titles (all but the smokin' "She's The Woman"), the band has sewn new life into these amazing tracks. With Wolfie's pulsing bass, Ed's impossible guitar, and Alex driving the whole thing, this who record smokes. Not one weak track.

Well, I know a lot of people didn't like "Tattoo". But fear not. New single it may be, but it's far from the best track on this album. My faves include: "She's The Woman", "China Town", "As Is", and "Big River". Still there are no songs that I would skip.

And Dave's lyrics? Just as clever and cheaky as ever. While Dave waxes poetic on many songs, don't expect him to suddenly want to deliver a message. Any messages about the state of the union (politic or VH) have no place on A Different Kind Of Truth.

The acoustic DVD sucks, but Dave's handwitten lyrics and drawings are awesome.

5 stars, ain't talkin' bout anything less

2.0 out of 5 stars OK but not great, April 11 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Astonishing !, March 23 2012
This review is from: A Different Kind Of Truth (Deluxe CD/DVD) (Audio CD)
The quality of these 13 song is much better than I expected. This had the potential of being a trainwreck, yet it is the exact opposite. There are no bad songs here. All are in the range very good to excellent. There's a few I thought were just good at first listen, but after hearing the entire CD many times, I really like every track.

The words that describe this album to me are POWERFUL, FRESH, and VARIED. There's no Hagar-type ballads here, just in-your-face high energy hard rock (with almost no keyboards). Eddie's guitar work is amazing, and David's delivery and lyrics are great (no more high-pitched shrieks like the old days, but that's all-right with me). Dave's voice doesn't have the range it once had, but it's very good for his age. It's the attitude and swagger that only Dave can bring that helps make this record great.

There's no hit commercial songs here (i.e. like Jump), but that's OK with me, because all the songs are such high quality. There's 13 songs here, and the total run time is very long for a Van Halen album.

This album grows on you as you listen to it more, and does not get boring with repeated listenings; I think it's the energy and creativity within each track, and how you pick up new things within the songs as you listen to them more. The songs seem musically dense; by that, I mean that there's a lot going on within each song, from Roth's varied and often humorous wordplay, to musical structure/tempo changes within each song.

I've been listening to it almost each day since release with not much desire to listen to anything else; it's just that good! It's now one of my favourite all-time albums by any artist. If you like Roth-era Van Halen, buy this ! You will not be disappointed.

Told ya I was comin' back...
(Told Ya)
Say you missed me...
(Say it)
Say it like ya mean it!

5.0 out of 5 stars VAN HALEN'S BEST YET ! HANDS DOWN !!, Feb. 17 2012
Remember now: This is VAN HALEN times 3 - EDDIE, ALEX and WOLFGANG VAN HALEN (Eddie's son!) and David Lee Roth from the first line-up from the 80s. And MR. ROTH can thank heaven for this phenomenal power trio. For VAN HALEN fans rest assured this band plays like it's never stopped. Get in your car...pop this album in...crank the volume...and say your prayers. Every time I listen to songs like SHE'S THE WOMAN, BULLETHEAD, AS IS, HONEYBABYSWEETIEDOLL, THE TROUBLE WITH NEVER...(Okay...most of these songs)I feel the goosebumbs, shake my head and keep repeating with a smile on my face, "Unfreakin' Believable Man! Man! These guys Rock!" In my opinion, friends, definitely VAN HALEN'S BEST YET ! HANDS DOWN !! Rock On People!

1.0 out of 5 stars van halen- a different kind of truth, April 23 2012
This review is from: A Different Kind Of Truth (Deluxe CD/DVD) (Audio CD)
This new Van Halen CD is terrible. How could they release this crap. My wife likes David better than Sammy and even she thinks this new CD-Different Kind of Truth is awful. Not worth the money to buy this. TERRIBLE.

A Different Kind Of Truth (Deluxe CD/DVD)
A Different Kind Of Truth (Deluxe CD/DVD) by Van Halen (Audio CD - 2012)