march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage snsflyout Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Music Deals Store sports Tools Registry

Format: Audio CD|Change

on March 23, 2012
The quality of these 13 song is much better than I expected. This had the potential of being a trainwreck, yet it is the exact opposite. There are no bad songs here. All are in the range very good to excellent. There's a few I thought were just good at first listen, but after hearing the entire CD many times, I really like every track.

The words that describe this album to me are POWERFUL, FRESH, and VARIED. There's no Hagar-type ballads here, just in-your-face high energy hard rock (with almost no keyboards). Eddie's guitar work is amazing, and David's delivery and lyrics are great (no more high-pitched shrieks like the old days, but that's all-right with me). Dave's voice doesn't have the range it once had, but it's very good for his age. It's the attitude and swagger that only Dave can bring that helps make this record great.

There's no hit commercial songs here (i.e. like Jump), but that's OK with me, because all the songs are such high quality. There's 13 songs here, and the total run time is very long for a Van Halen album.

This album grows on you as you listen to it more, and does not get boring with repeated listenings; I think it's the energy and creativity within each track, and how you pick up new things within the songs as you listen to them more. The songs seem musically dense; by that, I mean that there's a lot going on within each song, from Roth's varied and often humorous wordplay, to musical structure/tempo changes within each song.

I've been listening to it almost each day since release with not much desire to listen to anything else; it's just that good! It's now one of my favourite all-time albums by any artist. If you like Roth-era Van Halen, buy this ! You will not be disappointed.

Told ya I was comin' back...
(Told Ya)
Say you missed me...
(Say it)
Say it like ya mean it!
on June 2, 2015
as expected
on February 17, 2012
Remember now: This is VAN HALEN times 3 - EDDIE, ALEX and WOLFGANG VAN HALEN (Eddie's son!) and David Lee Roth from the first line-up from the 80s. And MR. ROTH can thank heaven for this phenomenal power trio. For VAN HALEN fans rest assured this band plays like it's never stopped. Get in your car...pop this album in...crank the volume...and say your prayers. Every time I listen to songs like SHE'S THE WOMAN, BULLETHEAD, AS IS, HONEYBABYSWEETIEDOLL, THE TROUBLE WITH NEVER...(Okay...most of these songs)I feel the goosebumbs, shake my head and keep repeating with a smile on my face, "Unfreakin' Believable Man! Man! These guys Rock!" In my opinion, friends, definitely VAN HALEN'S BEST YET ! HANDS DOWN !! Rock On People!
on February 18, 2012
Loved Tattoo when it came out, heavy bluesy rock (that some people just don't get) and got the album today and have to say it's full-on Van Halen, Eddie is ripping on the guitar, Alex is great on drums, Dave is great and Wolfie sounds great too, we all miss Mike but Wolfie is proving that he's worthy, even on the DVD, he can sing harmony great with his Dad and he is a solid player.. and the songs are great on the new CD, Stay Frosty is one of my favs, really heavy 12 bar blues with power, and lots of other great heavy tunes on it also. There is a reason it is Number 1 on the Billboard rock charts.
on April 11, 2012
I bought this album in the week leading into the VH concert that was coming to town. Not a bad effort, but I haven't listened to it very much since the show. A few good songs, but nothing that I'd call a classic, or any songs that I figure I'll go back to in a years time. Good to hear what the guys are up to and how they sound in 2012, but not much more than that.
on February 19, 2012
Yes it seems they have. Name any rock band that has been apart this long and starts off just where they left off. Well it just doesn't happen yet Ed and Dave seem able to keep doing it (before this in 1997). This album can be placed right between Women and children first and Fair warning with some Van Halen I mixed in as well. But still they provide a scent of "new" with songs like Honeybabysweetiedoll. Takes me back to the times where you would get a Halen record just to see what cool sounds Ed has come up with. Another reviewer said it best when he claimed Van Halen never sounded younger.
Pros:
all of the above, no filler songs, Ed and Dave sound best in the same band, New and old mixed together perfectly.

Cons: Dynamic compression a bit overblown on this record sounds muted/weird. Michael Anthony would have made the vocal harmonies on this record amazing as well as his presence is sorely missed. These 2 cons cannot let me give this record a perfect rating yet I really wanted to.
on April 23, 2012
This new Van Halen CD is terrible. How could they release this crap. My wife likes David better than Sammy and even she thinks this new CD-Different Kind of Truth is awful. Not worth the money to buy this. TERRIBLE.
on February 25, 2012
DLR is horrible. This attempt at an album by VH is sad and is by no means ROCK music. CHICKENFOOT is ROCK MUSIC, compare them together like I have and you have no choice but to agree unless you know nothing about music or have no taste. Sammy has twice the voice of David Lee Roth.