5.0 out of 5 stars one of the greatest of all time
Published on Oct. 10 2005 by heartofadragon

3.0 out of 5 stars Light-hearted (and lightweight) fun
No, this isn't the best fantasy movie of all time, and in a genre that's seen its share of stinkers, that's a real lowering of expectations.
But having said that, this movie is exactly what it sets out to be: A lightweight and charming fantasy movie that will keep kids occupied and have enough in it to keep adults interested, too. The last of the dragons teams up...
Published on Nov. 19 2000 by Beau Yarbrough

5.0 out of 5 stars one of the greatest of all time, Oct. 10 2005
heartofadragon (toronto, ontario) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dragonheart [Import] (DVD)
this is a movie that you can watch over and over again. from the first time i watched it ( in gr.7 as part of an english course) i was trapped in the moment....the characters are great, the effects are great, the storyline is great. It will make you laugh and it will make you cry. It also contains alot of valuable morals that can apply to even todays society. All in all its a great movie filled with laughs, adventure and it lets you be a kid again.......believe in dragons, i do

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Dragon Movie EVER!!!, Aug. 29 2003
This review is from: Dragonheart [Import] (DVD)
I LOVE THIS MOVIE!!! It is one of the best ever!!! It shows dragons the way I think dragons should be shown: as good guys, with feelings and a personality, not the way some movies show dragons as mindless, heartless murdering beasts.
Summary: A knight of the Old Code named Bowen has sworn himself to hunting down and killing every dragon in the world. The reason: his apprentice, Prince Enion, was badly wounded when the villagers revolted against his father, the King. The Queen took the prince to a dragon that lived nearby and the dragon saved him by giving the boy half of his heart. Soon after, the ex-prince became the King and began to forget everything Bowen taught him. Bowen, thinking it was the dragon's heart that corrupted Enion, vows to kill all dragons.
12 years later: Bowen comes across a dragon who claims to be the last dragon. After a endless fight, the knight and dragon form a truce. After their schemeing makes them a lot of $, Bowen and the dragon, who Bowen named Draco, meet a villager named Kara, who wants to lead a revolt against Enion. With the help of Bowen and Draco, she is able to get villagers to join their cause.
As the fight begins, Draco is captured. Now Bowen must find a way to rescue his dragon friend and somehow kill Enion. But... what will the knight of the Old Code do when he finds out that there is a terrible and deadly connection between Draco and Enion? What will Bowen do when he finds out that the only way to end Enion's terrible ways once and for all is to...
I love how the director added in the parts of light humor along with action and slight plot twists which all add up to a slightly surprise ending. The end (which I wont give away) is so sad that I always get teary eyed no matter how many times I watch it. Bring lots of tissues to this movie. If you like dragons, then you will LOVE this movie!!! I can promise you!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars THE STARS ARE MADE OF DRAGONS, Aug. 20 2003
This review is from: Dragonheart (VHS Tape)
DragonHeart is a awesome movie!
I first saw this film when I was on summer vacation-and I saw it in the theatre like 4 times!
DragonHeart is about a guy who is about to be king-but he is wounded and his mother asks a dragon to save him-taking pity on the guy the dragon gives him half his heart-telling the guy that he must rule with honesty.
But when the guy becomes a king-he treats everyone cruelly-and
kills anyone he doesnt like!
So steps in this dragonslayer who becomes friends with the last dragon-who he names Draco-after the group of stars in the sky shaped like a dragon!
I wanna buy this dvd-to see how Draco looks!
It was pretty sad when the dragon dies in the end-but it was the only way the kings evil would be destroyed!
You will never win unless Einons evil is destroyed-and to do that you must destroy me!
I am the last one!
I love dragons-they are not evil like everyone thinks they are-
they are just misunderstood creatures who hide and lurk in caves simply because they are different!
When I looked at the stars one night-I swear-it was in the shape of Draco!
There are alot of shapes like that in the sky-there must be a dragons heaven!
Why must you knight errands out to make a name for yourself-always pick on us dragons?
Your one who kills dragons for money?!
No animal should be killed for money!
It just simply is very wrong!

4.0 out of 5 stars One of the best fantasy films of recent years!, Aug. 4 2003
This review is from: Dragonheart [Import] (DVD)
In 1996, a fantasy film by the name of "Dragonheart" hit theaters and didn't really garner much at the box-office. Quite a shame, because this movie is quite a good one. "Dragonheart" took place during medieval times in England with a story about a bloodthirsty king's son's (David Thewlis) pact with a dragon to live with the half of the dragon's heart. The dragon, Draco (Sean Connery's voice), later befriends Bowen (Dennis Quaid), Einon's mentor, after they realize Einon has the same treachorous blood of his father's.
The acting is quite good in the film, especially Quaid and Pete Postlethwaite as Gilbert (he's a poet and a monk, and he gets the best lines). Julie Christie plays Einon's mother and she does a decent job. The only one I can detract is Dina Meyer's and considering her character's father is murdered by the evil king, I expected a more angst-filled performance. Unfortunately, she plays the role rather blandly and it's quite a shame; she was excellent in "Starship Troopers" (one year later) and very good in her small role in "Star Trek Nemesis." Oh well, onto the other good stuff...
The dragon effects were VERY WELL DONE and detailed, and it's not surprising that one of the head dragon creators (Phil Tippett) from 1981's "Dragonslayer" is involved. Sean Connery gives the character much personality and I'd place him #2 in the best lines category for this film (as I mentioned above, Gilbert has most of the best). The music was composed by Randy Edelman, a prolific composer of notable films including "Kindergarten Cop," "The Last of the Mohicans," and the brilliant "Gettysburg," among many other films. The music is superb.
On a closing note, I'd say for recent years, this is an awesome film. It may not be academy award winning material, but it's visual grandness for the medieval period and it's overall great sense of fun, it's a winner. It almost feels like those old Indiana Jones/Romancing the Stone/Back to the Future/etc. films in which a movie is content on being fun, whether or not a lot of brainpower is involved. A good film, excellently directed by Rob Cohen ("Fast and the Furious").

5.0 out of 5 stars An Honorable Dragon, June 21 2002
Timotee (Torrance, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dragonheart [Import] (DVD)
In a time where the "Old Code" doesn't exist anymore and is followed by one man, the kingdom has turned evil. King Einon's life was saved by Draco, a wise dragon who gave the young boy half of his heart so he could live. He was to follow the "Old Code" and be a good king. After many years, he grew conceded and treated his people badly. Bowen (Dennis Quaid) traveled around the country to find Draco for 'changing' the boy. He had killed all of the dragons and Draco was the last. After a mild scuffle, the two became friends without Bowen even knowing it was Draco who had given half of his heart to the donkey king. Draco and Einon's lives were parallel and they felt each other's pain. In the end, the dragonslayer and his friendship with the dragon ruled the kingdom and in the climactic scene, a sacrifice was needed to overcome the vile king. Sean Connery provided the voice to the computer-generated dragon. With the help of a noble man (Pete Postlethwaite) and Tara (tough chick Dina Meyer), Bowen was able to gain an army to fight against the king. This movie was overlooked and deserves more recognition. The music is depressing and will break you. Even if the time era isn't your thing, the movie will bring a smile to your face and maybe a tear. I filled buckets watching this movie. Man! Why couldn't that young girl with the bucket on her head have hit the king harder at the beginning of the movie, so none of this sadness would have happened? Now whenever I get the chance, I look at the stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars A fantasy adventure for the whole family, Jan. 11 2002
Joe J Barclay (Chula Vista, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dragonheart [Import] (DVD)
Bowen (Dennis Quaid) is the last knight who lives by the old code. He is the mentor to Prince Einon (David Thewlis). Bowen teaches the prince of the code and how when his turn comes to rule he should be just and merciful unlike the king. When Einon is mortally wounded and the king is killed the queen begs a dragon for his help. The dragon gives the prince half of his heart and saves Einon's life. Once Einon recovers he begins to change and is even more corrupt and villainous to his people then his father was. Bowen blames the dragon for changing Einon and swears to hunt down every last dragon.
The film is presented in 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen. The transfer is beautiful and I can find no real complaints about the picture. The sound is presented in Dolby Digital 5.1 surround and is a great track. The bass on this track will rock the windows. Your surround speakers will also get plenty of use. The disk contains a commentary by director Rob Cohen and several trailers and TV spots. There is also a great documentary titled "The Making of Dragonheart". The documentary is excellent and takes you from the beginning to the end of the production of the film.
This is a great fantasy film. There is plenty of comedy, romance and action. Although they may seem outdated today, the special effects for its time were groundbreaking. I remember my jaw hitting the floor the first time I saw Draco. The film was well cast with Dennis Quaid, David Thewlis, Dina Meyer and Pete Postlethwaite. And who can forget the commanding voice of Sean Connery as Draco. This is a film your whole family can enjoy. Making only 51 million dollars at the American box office, this film had to be considered a financial disappointment. Since its theatrical release it has spawned a huge following on video and DVD. Give it a try I am sure you will enjoy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dragonheart Collectors Edition Review, Sept. 29 2001
Rajiv Bajaj "Corporate Monkey" (Mumbai, Maharashtra India) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dragonheart [Import] (DVD)
This movie is fantastic. How many action movies does one come across that have heart? Well this one has heart and it also has Dennis Quaid and Sean Connery. The visual effects of the Dragon are done by Industrial Light and Magic and are convincing.
I like movies that inspire you to be a better, more heroic person. This movie has Dennis Quaid playing Bowen a knight with virtue who follows the old code. He is a mentor to Einon, the son of a treacherous king. The only reason Bowen agrees to be his mentor is so that he can train him in the old code, where a knight defends the weak and whose fury destroys evil, in the hope that Einon will be a fair king.
In the course of the film, Einon's father is killed in a peasant uprising and Einon gets thrown onto a sharp object that goes through his heart. Einon is on the verge of death, but his mother (played by Julie Christy) knows that a dragon can save him. She takes him to a dragon who gives Einon half his heart if he promises to let go of his fathers tyrannical ways. Einon promises and is saved. Soon after that Einon takes over as king and is as treacherous as his father. Bowen believes it's the dragons heart that has bewitched Einon and swears the he will hunt and kill every dragon that exists.
Bowen looses his faith in the old code and through the film, events unfold that help him regain his faith. He also finds out that it was not the dragon's heart that corrupted Einon, but that Einon was already corrupt and the dragon had nothing to do with it. He later allies himself with the dragon and forms a peasant army to fight Einon.
The sound and picture quality on this disc are amazing. There is a scene where Draco the dragon is flying around Bowen. You can actually feel the sound of the dragon's wings flapping and moving across the room. The picture quality is awesome too. Universal Studios has done a great job quality wise.
Extras on the disc are the teaser trailer, the theatrical trailer, director Rob Cohen's commentary through the movie, the making of the movie which is fantastic. You get to see what it takes to make a movie like this. It has footage of Rob Cohen and the ILM team discussing the special effects with each other via a satellite link while they are in different countries. Rob Cohen actually studied all the close up shots of Sean Connery in all of Sean's movies of the last forty years for the expressions of Draco.
I have read other reviews that say this movie is for children. I disagree, with all the graphic depiction of blood, one is better keeping the children away from it.
This movie is a MUST BUY. This is one movie that a serious DVD collector should not be without.

4.0 out of 5 stars Heartfelt and inspired, July 30 2001
Jaclyn Lawrence (Baltimore, Maryland, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dragonheart (VHS Tape)
Let me just get one thing out of the way before I start my review: DRAGONHEART IS NOT A TYPICAL FANTASY MOVIE. It is not meant to be like that. It also does not portray dragons in a bad way. Good. Now that I've made my point, I want to say that Dragonheart is a great movie. I must have been 9 or 10 when I first saw it, and I was entranced, but for some reason it practically all faded from my memory. In fact, over time I began to actually think that I'd dreamed it (I have the strangest dreams of anyone I know). All I could remember was the end. So one day at school (I was 13 by now) I went on the computer and looked up "Dragonheart", knowing that if it was on there it was real. I saw it later on, and it is one of my favorite movies as a die-hard fantasy/adventure/dragon lover. I can't get enough of it, and though I (oddly) don't own the movie yet, I plan to in the near future. As I am also an avid music fan who can come up with "soundtracks" for various things/events, including the books I read, I was very happy with the soundtrack. I love midieval soundtracks. The acting was all fantastic... oh why am I still here, the long and short of it is GO SEE IT!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars "A knight is sworn to valor, his heart know only virtue.", June 23 2001
This review is from: Dragonheart [Import] (DVD)
I guess it helps if you place the review under the right movie. Somehow I posted this review under the other Dragonheart Movie, A New Beginning.
Dragonheart is one of my favorite movies, up there with The Last Unicorn. The music is good, the actors are fantastic, and the storyline actually has some thought to it.
Dennis Quaid is great as Bowen, the knight turned dragon slayer. He looks the part as well as acting thepart of a dragon slayer bound by the old code, who is trying to rid the world of dragons so the evil in his protégé, King Einon, will be defeated.
Sean Connery is great as the voice of Draco. According to the 'making of Dragonheart' feature on the DVD, the director had only Connery in mind for the voice, and spent 13 months trying to get the dragon to have facial and body actions that patterned Connery. I don't know if it's because Connery is so well known, or if it's because he can project life into Draco, but the dragon has a personality, and you can relate to it's sadness and fear throughout the movie.
Pete Postlethwaite is good as the monk/historian/bad poet. He gives a bit of comic relief to the movie,especially in the later fighting scenes. His inability to remember his own poetry is also funny.
Dina Meyer portrays the peasant Kara as a strong young woman who's willing to do almost anything todefeat King Einon and avenge the death of her father.
David Thewlis is an awesome bad guy. He's not a physically powerful man, but his brain makes up for his lack of brawn. Plus, he's creepy, which adds to the bad guy image. His heartlessness as King Einon and the fact he's causing a dragon to lose his soul makes you want to hate him throughout the movie.
The music is absolutely beautiful; Randy Edelman really created some wonderful music. A lot of people who haven't seen the movie might recognize the music, as it was used in the Trailer for Mulan and a few other movies.
I really love this movie, and I'm not sure if it's the music, the cast, or the fact that the story isn't a carbon copy of a lot of the dragon or knight movies out there, but there's something about Dragonheart that makes me watch it from time to time, and enjoy it each time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous Film, May 20 2001
Jerroden (Lubbock, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dragonheart [Import] (DVD)
I LOVE this movie! but I do not love it because it is a fantasy film. I love it because it is the first feature film to portray the dragon race in a positive light. I also love it because I, along with many many others, believe myself to have the soul of a dragon. And as a Dragon, this film appeals to me and it's one of my all-time favorites. It's a wonderful portrayl of a noble species and the relationship between them and humans. Sadly that once harmonious existence decayed rather rapidly and Dragons (as indicated at the end of the film) retreated fully from the corporeal realm. But, spirituality aside this is a fun-filled rollicking adventure of a movie and a wonderful study of relationships between creatures of our earth. Overcoming personal differences and personal spite is truly a fantastic goal. Let's face, it you ahve a human and a dragon. Definitely a pair as far different from each other as one could imagine. But friendship prevails and the film ends on a moment that is both tragic, enlightening and uplifting. Indeed, hope survives forever. End