5.0 out of 5 stars Bond 50 with 50 years of movie posters book
Context:
Published 22 months ago by V. Lukyniuk

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Films; Could-have-been-better Packaging
The DVD releases of these films (the 4 volumes) with the individual thin cases, even with the stupid mixed-up ordering of which movies were in which sets, were far better.

Published 23 months ago by TeeKay

5.0 out of 5 stars Bond 50 with 50 years of movie posters book, Oct. 17 2012
V. Lukyniuk (Canada) - See all my reviews
Context:
I had started to buy the previous collection of Bond films in blu-ray when they were originally released and was frustrated that the order of movies were not chronological and that the packaging, while I liked the leathery booklet feel of the volumes, was rather poor. Then when it stopped at volume 3. I was slightly disappointed that I could not complete the collection up to present day (or at least up to the last Pierce movie). When I saw that the Bond 50 was announced, I was happy to find out that most movies (all the canon one I guess) were part of this collection. I quickly sold my previous collection to people who were interested in acquiring these classics. And I pre-ordered this version of the collection. I like movie posters.

The packaging:
Great, I love it. Inside the box, you have two books and they split the movies from a certain date to another. Each book has a little picture of the "Bond girl" for that specific movie right next to the disc as well as some pictures on the page next to it. In the last book, they leave some room for Skyfall. The books are nice and heavy as well as glossy. I rather enjoy the look of it. Although it won't fit in a conventional DVD case. You'll have to display it proudly somewhere else. Or find a bookshelf with enough room.

The movies:
The classic movies have a nice sharp image, I believe it's the same remastered movie from the previous collection (the one that had 3 volumes in it). The audio for the old movies isn't very good but I imagine that must be a limitation from the source material. You'll often have loud sound effects while the voice track isn't as audible. I am basing this observation mostly on Dr.No.

The book:
It's a small book, it does have quite a few pages but I would have loved to have more full pages for posters. I would have also enjoyed to have larger pages. But all in all, it's a nice book and you get to see the poster style evolve through the ages.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Films; Could-have-been-better Packaging, Oct. 11 2012
This review is from: Bond 50: Celebrating Five Decades of James Bond [Blu-ray] (Bilingual) (Blu-ray)

What you get here are two beautiful hardcover books with cardboard pages. Each page (verso/left) contains a collage of imagery from the two films/discs on the opposite (recto/right) page. It's odd having a hodge-podge of two films... it definitely would have been nicer if each film got it's own artwork. Also, like another customer mentioned, we don't get any fact-sheets... or any text besides the film's name printed on the discs. I really miss my brother's DVD sets.

Also, I'm disappointed that they didn't bother to re-author the Blu-rays. All of the movies that were previously released on Blu have identical discs. The major problem here is that the video compression was, and still is sub-par. If you have a great TV, you'll definitely be able to see the compression artifacts on the majority of these films.

Quantum of Solace sticks out because they didn't bother to re-author the discs to give us a unified experience. Overlookable, but worth mentioning.

Quite sadly, all those movies that were previously unreleased on Blu-ray didn't get the full upgrade to HD in terms of special features. All of the classic films have amazing making-of documentaries. The ones already released had upgraded HD documentaries. The documentaries featured on the discs previously unreleased are all in SD at 4:3, so all the footage they show from films are letterboxed & pillarboxed on widescreen TVs. It's a shame.

They left a slot with a fake cardboard disc for Skyfall, which is interesting, and I doubt I'll personally use it.

If you haven't bought any of the films yet, or you've bought them and you're considering replacing them with this, I'd honestly consider just recommend waiting for the previously unreleased films to be released individually. If you like Casino Royale, buy/keep your 2-disc special edition!

So, overall good, but would have been perfect with better packaging highlighting each individual film (and possibly trivia), with re-encoded videos of higher quality.

4.0 out of 5 stars This is not a great deal, Nov. 20 2012
Great moveies but pick them up at Costco for $179 Cdn. I was hoping for a good Black Friday deal but this doesn't do if for me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Oh James!, Aug. 13 2013
Andrew (Baie dUrfe, Quebec, Canada) - See all my reviews
Very good, tho the re-mastering has some sound issues - the talking is a bit quiet compared to the music and sounds effects which are a bit loud.

The video quality is excellent tho

5.0 out of 5 stars Bond, James Bond, Aug. 14 2013
No brainer purchase for a lifelong Bond fan, but even for the casual fan this is a great purchase for a great price! Each movie looks and sounds amazing, haven't even begun to dip into the countless hours of special features yet but I've heard they're fantastic. Great case as well loved the book style with every Bond girl and a montage on each page. Adding a slot in the back for Skyfall was a nice touch also. Highly recommend this to anyone and everyone!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous Video Package!, Jan. 11 2013
I'm a James Bond freak and over the years have bought the entire set first on VHS, then Laser Disk, DVD and now Blu-ray. I truly hope they don't come with a new format anytime soon! But the Blu-ray set is definitely the best. The movies themselves are incredible - the video and sound quality is excellent and the packaging and presentation is first rate. Incredible value for the price. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bond celebrates 50 years, Dec 14 2012
The collection was done up in a superb way and I truly liked the idea of each movie dated and in the order that they came out.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Purchase!, Aug. 31 2014
A great purchase! A lot of the films were previously released on BluRay or DVD formats, but in many cases this is the only way to acquire the obscure titles. It's completely necessary if you want a complete collection of the "official" James Bond films, of course only until new films are released.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great movies all in order, Aug. 21 2014
Tom 33 - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Great movies all in order. My only problem was it originally said there was a space for Skyfall so I purchased it separately, yet when I got the collection Skyfall was included. Other than that great collection and delivered earlier than I anticipated.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 3 2014
Gabriel Daniel (Montreal, Quebec, Canada) - See all my reviews
Très bon service et produit.
Merci,
Gabriel Daniel

Bond 50: Celebrating Five Decades of James Bond [Blu-ray] (Bilingual)
CDN$ 299.99 CDN$ 199.99