5.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected
Published on Feb. 28 2012 by L. Power

1.0 out of 5 stars Copy
The disk provided was not original, it was a copy.
Published 2 months ago by Tal Pizzey

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected, Feb. 28 2012
L. Power "nlp trainer" (San Francisco) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)
This review is from: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo / Millénium : Les Hommes qui n'aimaient pas les femmés (Bilingual) (DVD)
A disgraced financial journalist, and a young antisocial computer hacker join forces to solve the 40 year old mystery of a teenage girl's disappearance. As they do so, they get drawn into serious crime and corruption, deadly family secrets, and a string of unsolved murders of young women spanning fifty years, which puts their own lives at unbelievable risk. Will they solve the mystery before they become history?

When I saw the original movie series about two years ago, I was awestruck by mostly the awesome acting of Noomi rapace, and the movie's visual style, and it's inherent raunchiness, which is more common in stylish European thrillers than slick Hollywood movies. When I heard there would be an English version, I thought this would be a hard act to follow, and without Noomi Rapace as the female lead would not be the same, because she was so much an integral element of the original movies success.

In the meantime I listened to the audiobook version featuring Simon Vance, which I also found quite enjoyable. He does all the voices including Lisbeth with a slight Swedish accent that veers toward cockney. The story is much more detailed with many elements glossed over or left out of the original movie.

So, when I heard it was about to be released, and saw the trailer, and understood the pedigree behind this movie with David Fincher directing, and Daniel Craig as Blomquist, I made a point of going to the evening show before its official opening today.

Inevitably, one cannot help but compare with the previous experience. Definitely, the fact that this is in English is the greatest justification for the remake, so for many people who are distracted by subtitles this will automatically be a better experience.

Steven Zaillian, the screenwriter, previously won an Oscar for writing Schindlers List. From a storytelling point of view, it stays close to the original story, with much more detail, in that respect exceeding the original. In other respects too it exceeds the original. I particularly liked for example the soundtrack with its darker gothic metal tones by Trent Reznor, and the opening somewhat James Bond style imagery although darker, and I loved the storytelling.

This movie completes the full arc of the story, whereas I felt unclear in the original about the full circle story against Wennerstrom. This movie introduces the cat, and Cecilia Vanger as a character. We get to meet some of the characters we don't meet in the original.

David Fincher goes to great lengths not to have it be a remake, having each scene be somewhat different. This movie is also raunchier, you'll know what I mean when you see it and focuses more on the relationship between Blomquist and Salander. It also has occasional humor. The scene where Michael is hunted shocked me in my seat, and there are several shocking scenes in the movie, including the crime against Lisabeth by her guardian. This is a harrowing scene as is the basement scene, although I felt that particular one was more harrowing in the original.

Perhaps the single best thing about this version is that it captures the intention of the original author. Apparently, when Stieg Larson was a teenager he witnessed a gang rape of a teenage girl, and did not intervene to stop it. He was always troubled by this, second guessing his behavior, and worked as an independent investigative journalist, and this was partly his motivation for writing the Millenium Trilogy series which has now reportedly sold over 60 million copies, and the great visual art of 4 movies.

In fact, he gave the character Lisbeth the same first name as the original victim, so when Blomquist proposes to Lisbeth that she help him find a killer of women, one senses that Larson would be very pleased about this.

I liked also seeing Robin Wright as Blomquists partner, and while I still give the original movie the cool points for style and the visuals, I think many people will without my preconceptions warm to Rooney Mara who does give a great performance, in her unique way as this antisocial yet extremely resourceful and intelligent computer hacker.

I recommend it whether or not you have seen the original series. I also recommend you do check out the original series. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (DVD + Blu-ray Combo)

If they do complete the rest of the trilogy, there will be opportunities in those movies to vastly outshine the originals, certainly if they include more detail from the books as they do here. I think you will love it, and I hope this review was helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars David Fincher and Ronney Mara... nuff said, I would think., Feb. 26 2012
David Fincher is one of the less commercial directors in recent years. Even though he has a style all his own, themes he visits often and actors he uses time and again. After Social Network, he was approached to direct the remake for the popular phenomenon that is Stieg Larsson's The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. Rooney Mara, an up and coming actress who was given a small role in Social Network, truly gave a heart-breaking performance with her take on the Lisbeth Salander character. I have yet to watch the original Swedish movies, but Mara's transformation from Social Network to Dragon Tattoo was nothing less than a shock. These two women couldn't be further apart from each other and that is what I believe makes a great actress.

Dragon Tattoo deals with a lot of hard themes: it's violent, dark, repulsive, hypocrit, and many other things. It is a portrait of our 21st Century society at its best. Believe me when I say this adaptation is NOT for the faint of hearts. Myself, I almost gave up during a particular scene because I couldn't bare what I saw shown, forced to watch. Fincher doesn't screw around and uses his skills as a storyteller to sympathize with Lisbeth as she follows her slow and steady descent into Hell... until she meets Mikael Blomkvist, a down on his luck journalist who got his reputation tarnished. These two imperfect and broken souls meet and work on a 40 year-old unresolved case.

I'm not going to say more about the plot. I will say this though: if David Fincher wanted to grab me, his introduction credits and "The Immigrant" song remix truly mesmerized me... mislead me, would be another way to see it, for this very James Bond-ish beginning is as far as the rest of the film could be... one could also think of it as Lisbeth Salander's own private darkness and how she melts clues together, giving us an insight on her gift, her curse of seeing what others don't. Fincher's directing here is top-notch. If Social Network, Zodiac and Benjamin Button were any indication, it was to point out how unique his work stands apart from the rest.

As great a narrator Fincher has become over the years, his twisted sense brings much to the table where other remakes would shy away from: depicting a society bent on destructing its opponents, having the action happen in the same country as the books, not holding on the violence (it has its narrative purpose), A-list actors all the way, dark and moody atmosphere, a soundtrack as amazing as The Social Network's, etc.

Why should one watch this film and not the originals? I couldn't help you since I have yet to see the originals myself. Although I will suggest you consider this one as a disturbing take on the same novel. I believe we should look at this Dragon Tattoo as Fincher's film, not a studio's money-making decision. True, it IS the motivation behind the film's existence, but Fincher's talent and the results speak for themselves: The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo is a Davind Fincher film and I couldn't be happier about it... were it made by a lesser director, I don't think I would have had the same statement because the material is very specific and I don't think someone like, say, J.J. Abrams (Super 8) could have pulled it off the same way. I'm not saying Abrams doesn't have the talent, only that his style is very different from Larsson's writings.

For great remakes, one must have a great screenplay, a great director and great actors. Luckily, David Fincher's film has it all.Girl with the Dragon Tattoo [Blu-ray]

5.0 out of 5 stars COME ON PEOPLE!!!, Jan. 6 2013
First of all this was one of the best movies of 2011.Equal to the swedish version on all counts.Cannot believe some people actually returned this movie thinking that the "DVD" included was just an ordinary DVD-R. It was obviously part of the marketing,(she was a hacker).IT ACTUALLY SAYS ON THE DISC-DVD VIDEO RATED R -RESTRICTED.Some people need to smarten up!

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected, Dec 21 2011
L. Power "nlp trainer" (San Francisco) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Blu-ray presentation for Fincher's version of events, March 19 2012
Steven Aldersley (Oshawa, Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I remember the hype when Stieg Larsson's Millennium Trilogy first became popular, so I was a bit surprised to see David Fincher's version of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo perform somewhat badly in theaters. Did it underperform because the 2009 Swedish version satisfied people's desire to see the series on the big screen, or are people just tired of the whole thing?

Before I talk about the movie, I have to mention the opening title sequence. It's just stunning. Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross adapt Led Zeppelin's Immigrant Song and give it a more modern feel. It perfectly sets the mood for what is to come.

The story initially focuses on journalist Michael Blomkvist (Craig). We see him lose a libel case and most of his money in the process. He receives an offer from Henrik Vanger (Plummer) who offers to double his salary if he'll investigate who killed his granddaughter, Harriet. Blomkvist feels that he can't do the work alone and so he enlists the help of Lisbeth Salander (Mara), who was hired by one of Vanger's employees to investigate Blomkvist before the offer was made.

It's here that the movie differs from the usual offerings within the crime investigation genre. The reason is Salander. She's easily the most interesting character in the story and is highly unconventional. She's considered unstable and perhaps insane and is monitored by a legal guardian. She's covered in piercings and tattoos and refuses to display any social skills whatsoever. Salander is deeply troubled and extremely hard to like when we first meet her.

The movie isn't for everyone. It features a rape scene and another in which Salander is forced to perform sexual favors. Other scenes show torture, a dismembered animal and unpleasant photographs of murdered women.

The story itself is a fairly straightforward search for the person who killed Harriet. We quickly learn that she wasn't the only victim. Salander has an eidetic memory and a gift for hacking into people's computers, while Blomkvist investigates in a more conventional way. They actually make a good team.

The suspects are the other members of Henrik Vanger's extended family, so that's where the investigation begins. The running time is a little over two-and-a-half hours and it does lack momentum at times, but it was gripping enough to hold my interest throughout. Don't expect a huge amount of action, although the final act does include a few thrills.

Many will compare Fincher's version to the Swedish version released in 2009. I own both and the difference between the two is minimal. There's slightly more urgency to the original version and it seems raw in comparison to Fincher's polished version. It's tricky buying into certain characters when the actor is known for other roles, and Craig's presence will remind most viewers of his role as James Bond. Indeed, he takes some events in stride as though they happen to him every day.

The movie's appearance is somewhat bleak. The wintry scenes consist of a muted color palette with blacks, whites and grays dominating. The Blu-ray looks and sounds wonderful, and it's apparent that this version had a much bigger budget than the Swedish version.

If you are a fan of the books, you'll likely be very happy with Fincher's adaptation. Mara was convincing as Salander and it's good to see how her character develops throughout the movie. She's slow to trust anyone, and that's understandable given what we know about her life and recent experiences. When someone does earn her trust, she's loyal and is somebody that you would want to be on your side.

I enjoyed this first installment of the Millennium Trilogy, but it could have been better. Although box office numbers were mediocre at best, I think we'll eventually see the other two installments. Will Fincher direct? That remains to be seen.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Sept. 7 2012
From what I could make out from the video, the story line was dark, foreboding and intense. Christopher Plummer, as always was good although his role in this film was limited.

Unfortunately due to the quality of the video I missed a lot of the intricate detail. The video was returned due to poor quality. I never did get a refund for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Movie follows the story-line of the book!, April 22 2012
I recently finished reading the trilogy of books, which were thoroughly entertaining, and was hoping this movie would be good as well... and was pleasantly surprised! The movie follows the story-line of the book almost exactly, in fact with a few slight improvements in some of the details. Superb! Lisbeth especially came to life, so well-acted. Love it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Film, March 23 2012
RC (Kelowna, British Columbia, CA) - See all my reviews
Fincher is at his best here. The film is entirely influenced by his drive, artistic intelligence, and feel for the material. The cast is solid, with Christopher Plummer, Stellan Skarsgard, Joely Richardson, Robin Wright and Daniel Craig all pulling off excellent performances. However, the film belongs to the stunning Rooney Mara, who is utterly fearless and gives a tremendous portrayal of one of the most fascinating characters in recent years. Her chemistry with Craig is also quite convincing. Well-deserved Academy Award-winning editing from Kirk Baxter and Angus Wall make the almost 3-hour experience fly by. Steve Zaillian's screenplay is faithful to the novel, yet adapts it suitably for cinematic presentation, and Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross give a score that is utterly appropriate for the film, and enjoyable as a stand alone. All in all, there's a lot to recommend it. Do NOT watch it if you are sensitive to violence and sexuality, but other than that, it is a splendid experience. Can't wait for the sequels!

5.0 out of 5 stars A thriller from start to finish, May 7 2014
This movie is one of the best I have seen. It is an excellent story with some amazing twists. It is thrilling from start to finish.

4.0 out of 5 stars Epic!, March 31 2014
I enjoyed the movie. It's a bit brutal and gruesome but I really enjoy it. It's a great buy. good copy!