5.0 out of 5 stars Negotiating the magic tragic web
Published on Feb. 21 2012 by L. Power

3.0 out of 5 stars MISSING THE "IT" SPARK
During the filming of "The Prince and the Showgirl" (London 1956) Colin Clark - 3rd Assistant Director on the movie spent some private time with Marilyn Monroe. The book "My Week with Marilyn" is a very heartfelt & intimate journal in which Mr. Clark shares his personal memoir of that time. I am pleased to note that the movie follows his account quite accurately...
Published 12 months ago by little lady blue

5.0 out of 5 stars Negotiating the magic tragic web, Feb. 21 2012
L. Power "nlp trainer" (San Francisco) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)
This review is from: My Week With Marilyn [Blu-ray + DVD] (Bilingual) (Blu-ray)
When I went to see this movie in December, inwardly I was lamenting the overall quality of movies in 2011, with a plethora of remakes, reboots and sequels, and I wondered if Hollywood was running out of fresh ideas, while recycling the same formulas. Remakes/reboots in 2011 included Straw Dogs, Footloose, Arthur, The Thing, Conan, Spy Kids, Final Destination 5, and Rise of the Planet of the Apes.

Some of the movies were high quality such as Girl with the dragon tattoo, and Xmen First Class.

Last year Michelle Williams deservedly received her second Academy Award nomination for Blue Valentine, and now she is nominated for the role of Marilyn Monroe. I liked this movie enormously, and was disappointed that it did not get nominated for Best Picture instead of Extremely Loud and Incredibly close, a dubious choice.

Nevertheless politics being what it is if MWWM was nominated it might give the appearance of Weinstein Studios having too much sway with the Academy Awards, as they also released the Artist with 11 nominations, and the appalling Iron Lady whose only redeeming grace is Meryl Streeps nominated performance. They also released last years winner The Kings Speech.

What Michelle Williams and the movie delivers is a very delicately nuanced and multi dimensional portait of Marilyn that we have not seen previously, those shifts in personality, her ability to be vunerable, to charm, to seduce and manipulate, and if you are Larry Olivier the ability to frustrate your ambition to make an incredible movie. In a perhaps ironic twist in view of recent events we see the entourage of people who can't say no or risk punishment by exclusion.

So we have a young wideeyed man who through connections gets his first job in the business working for Olivier, and responsible for keeping things even with Marilyn. As they grow closer you wonder if he will be able to negotiate the magic and tragic web. After all what red blooded man could resist Marilyn. He has a more realistic alternative in Emma Watson's delightful character without all Marilyn's sticky strings. Here is where the movie takes some liberties on the book on which it's based, but the will they won't they aspect will keep you guessing after the final credits roll. The movie captures the period very well.

Although most attention has focused on the performance of Michelle Williams, I loved the performance of Kenneth Branagh as Laurence Olivier. He listened to Oliver on audio to perfect the mannerisms and the lines, and even had the exact same shoes custom made to fit the part.

It seems fitting that someone who has spent a career following in Olivier's footsteps, acting Shakespeare and bringing the plays to the screen, may finally get the Academy Award for walking in his shoes.

It's clear here that he is a superior actor, and perfectly achieves both his theatrical mannerisms and intonations particularly rolling the R's. At the end of the movie he delivers a portion of a soliloquy from Prospero in The Tempest. This for me was like a spiritual experience, it was so sublime. Naturally, I hope that he wins although Christopher Plummer appears to the stern competition this year winning several awards in the runup including the Golden Globe.

When I left this movie I felt optimistic and relieved at finally sweeing a good movie. Shortly afterwards all the best movies were released in time for an Oscar run including The Descendants, The Artist, Warhorse, Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, and Hugo. So, if you want to be an Oscar contender release your movie in December.

Recently we have seen a trend in the Academy Awards toward real life characters with Marion Cotillard winning for portraying Edith Piaf, Helen Mirren for playing the queen. Colin Firth for playing a king.

I loved this movie. I think you will enjoy it, and I hope this was helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars TO update, Sept. 3 2012
Liberatore Jc - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Week With Marilyn [Blu-ray + DVD] (Bilingual) (Blu-ray)
Received quickly up blister! The product had the bilingual version english / french.

I'm very happy! I hope that the next orders, shall have more the bilingual version english / french. Thanks!

Best regards
JC Liberatore

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfection!, April 25 2012
koolz03 - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: My Week With Marilyn [Blu-ray + DVD] (Bilingual) (Blu-ray)
I loved this movie! I liked how it portrayed Monroe as not the "Marilyn Monroe" as we all have read and seen her to be, but as a real human being battling her own demons and conflicts. Very well done!

4.0 out of 5 stars Michelle Rules!, Feb. 6 2014
This review is from: My Week With Marilyn [Blu-ray + DVD] (Bilingual) (Blu-ray)
Can't do much better. And who wouldn't want to be the lucky guy who spent that week with Marilyn. One of the better movies. Definitely.

5.0 out of 5 stars Marilyn, Feb. 4 2014
This review is from: My Week With Marilyn (DVD)
Very good movie.Michelle Williams is very good.I have always been fascinated by Marilyn Monroe.She had a very tough life and I feel people took advantage of her.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good movie, June 3 2013
This review is from: My Week With Marilyn (DVD)
If it wasn't a famous person the story would be bland but it was fairly interesting. Probably wouldn't watch it more than once though.

4.0 out of 5 stars informative other world view of 50's icon, May 12 2013
Anthony Marinelli "marilread" (toronto on canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Week With Marilyn (DVD)
One of the best films of an american in England is Notting Hill and in today's world is comparable to Marilyn's entry in LOndon in 1956? The greatest of american actors Spencer Tracy whom Laurence Olivier extolled as probably the greatest in america, and here he is pictured with Marilyn the photo op and perhaps other excursions not related in this bio, if we call it that, had a photo op. If not more..here we have a story and I think two memoirs about the film The Prince and the Showgirl and when we watch a film about an historical person whom we know so much about almost so much more intimately than many in our surroundings..almost like elton john's candle and its nothing like Descartes use of the same flickering light among the shadows..first of all we must say what is memorable. The role of Judi dench and since she is well known and the director purposely put her there..wanted her and shot in a special way to have her there, to introduce her to american audiences and she never fails to please? I donrt quite know she livens the proceedings and small roles especially with a presence make the proceedings we are about to watch grab us toward...there really is not much drama? If we care her few scenes and they really draw us in then we have a series of Marilyn..as part of a lOndon scene can this fellow actually have a relationship with her..and she's amused for a week..and then bids adieu..but those who like the CHARACTER of marilyn enjoy this film..shes so off putting even sex means so little to her and long conversation all that much more..known for book browsing and serious books at that..like the poor and those in solitude who as youth have little money and back in the 19th century amuse themselves with books..like the surroundings of Notting Hill..a book shop..where the intimacy of youth the break with solitude having been put off and finding intimacy as a way of breaking abandonment..with a book..a better book..search..a man ..a woman..in films sometimes a kid..there all kind of the same..I'm mnotputting him down he seems all too goody too shoes and there are scenes which bring out the photogenic in her rather than a relation..him as part of a scene..like many in this historical city who became writers youth with a book was often an experience broken up here and there with interruptions..as a diversion and the director talks of this on research about her from an unknown source..research he says a few times and it crosses his mind..as a youth and abandoneded, how do we discover their pure experiences of intimacy..their interior world..and here we have someone who sought greater works of art..BUS STOP was her favourite..you wont find that here but its a fun film..a world star on vacation..she seems almost from another planet which is why we enjoy her so much that purity..any person I bump into I like as much as the next or woman..its the conversation..she likes very serious books..she picks up a name of a local soap as a way of gaining the intimate world of her audience..I want to learn something of this place..and we will learn something from her..the film moves quickly, its enjoyable, and it almost seems to be assembled as a way to view her body, and her interactions with this fellow are largely erotic which means given her youth and perhaps abuse, was it that memorable and what does that say about this week..she probably recalls London more..and the Soap...the better scene in the film they should have extended it..there's a similar scene in Notting Hill..however I havent read the books and we dont know what else went on during the week..it perhaps give sus pictures since thats what we crave..and the director hints at this other Marilyn..which is the key to this figure what she wants from others conflicts with what they want from her..and did she spend much of her time alone..and with what to mediate life..and I douubt it was some kind of toy..if the audience wants a more dramatic film of her life and experiences..but is that what they want or pictures..and what did this young fellow want..interesting sidenote is she is often called a great actress..I would call her a great commedienne like lucille ball but different shes able to use sex appeal and her body and mannerisms and many other aspects of her image and talk..a commedienne who later in life sang and occasionally tried drama..drama was a difficulty..shes best as a commedienne..is there anyone better..Some Like it HOt is stated as her best film..a comedy..but given her youth a surprisingly fresh, enjoyable, different personality..we need more than candle of descartes to illuminate her this film is more how this young person perceives her..and he wants what others want in her..however to be fair i havent read the books..

3.0 out of 5 stars MISSING THE "IT" SPARK, April 17 2013
little lady blue - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: My Week With Marilyn (DVD)

The problem with the movie is that as good as the actors may be when it comes to supreme icons such as Marilyn Monroe & Sir Laurence Olivier & Vivien Leigh it is just not likely to work.

These icons had something that transcended physical looks, it came across from within, a spark, an intangible aura & regardless of how well an actor can act it is simply not possible to bring that same "It" factor to life. Charisma can't be `created', either you have it or you don't.

It would be a disservice to say that Michelle Williams did not do a good job portraying Marilyn Monroe, I am sure she did the best she could, but Ms. Williams is no Marilyn Monroe. Kenneth Branagh, wonderful actor that he is, is no Olivier. Julia Ormond is a wonderful & beautiful actress but she is not Vivien Leigh & through no fault of her own it simply was not believable. Dame Judi Dench did a masterful job of portraying Dame Sybil Thorndike & Eddie Redmayne was very good as Colin Clark, other than that none of it felt true.

I watched "The Price and the Showgirl" right after I read Colin Clark's book & that was a hundred times more enjoyable to me!

2.0 out of 5 stars superb Michelle Williams can't save this, Oct. 27 2012
Brian Maitland (Vancouver, BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: My Week With Marilyn (DVD)
Beyond the shadow of a doubt Michelle Williams is brilliant in her portrayal of Marilyn Monroe. The movie itself is so slow and plodding that that brilliance is wasted. I'm sorry but I've never understood the onscreen appeal of Kenneth Branagh (nor Laurence Olivier bar his roles in Marathon Man and Boys From Brazil--both with Nazi themes so Freudians have a field day with that). Sure, Branagh is a great Shakespearean actor but, sorry, I don't get him at all.

The young lad who falls for Marilyn is also less than convincing in that crucial role.

The DVD extra, for myself, was far more fascinating intersplicing actual clips from 1957 when the movie (The Prince And The Pauper) around which this movie is based was being filmed.

3.0 out of 5 stars My Week with Marilyn, Aug. 14 2012
This review is from: My Week With Marilyn [Blu-ray + DVD] (Bilingual) (Blu-ray)
The acting in this movie was very good, but the story really doesn't go anywhere other than to show the superficial nature of actors.

ARRAY(0xb100248c)

My Week With Marilyn [Blu-ray + DVD] (Bilingual)
My Week With Marilyn [Blu-ray + DVD] (Bilingual) by Simon Curtis (Blu-ray - 2012)
CDN$ 26.99 CDN$ 9.40