5.0 out of 5 stars Great movie
My husband and I enjoyed the movie so much, that when we saw that it was available and we could enjoy it on our older dvd player we decided we would invest in a copy. If you like first world war stories with a different perspective you will love this movie.
Published 4 months ago by E. Allchin

3.0 out of 5 stars I expected more?
I was expecting more, To me it never delivered. If it wasn't for the few minutes of battle scenes it could be called a Disney movie. It diff. isn't like the older classic war films like, A bridge to far, or the Battle of Britian or Midway. Not in that league. Not a bad story but diff. not a classic.
Published 3 months ago by MDK

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great movie, Dec 4 2013
E. Allchin "history freak" (Alberta Canada) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars What the human race is capable off, April 12 2012
Ernst Wiltmann "store746" (Parry Sound, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: War Horse (Sous-titres français) (DVD)
We can extremely cruel to ourselves, killing, torturing, jailing, deporting, backstabbing and on and on goes this list. Sometimes it takes the Story and the spirit of a horse to remind us, that not all of us are that way. That we are more people of love and compassion. Other really good reviewers have written a synopsis of the story, I'm gonna bypass this time, and just describe the effect this now one of my top favorite films has on me. It demonstrated to me the power of compassion towards everyting living. And like other reviewers pointed out, this film includes the major elements of many good films, thet took humanity at heart. I grew up on a farm in germany after World War 2, just a few years after the War, we still had Horses to drag the plow, just like in this film.
Our farm was just as picturesque as the farm of our protagonist in the film, pehaps a little different, because our buildings where not build out of field bolders and cement, but out of "Fachwerk" a combination out of clay and wood. The characters and the ambiance in Germany was the same as the one described in the movie. I have to thank Steven Spielberg, for building this bridge between two nations. I was surprised to see our farmers son enact parts of two of my other top favorites I Was Nineteen and Adventures Of Werner Holt by his way of interacting. So now I know, that Steven Spielberg must have seen those films, and probably has been inspired by them. Because those films I consider to this day, are like any others I have seen in my almost 60 years, and I've seen many, so that I run a movie store in Parry Sound for almost 30 years now.
Sometimes I rewatch those films, just to charge myself with positive energy. This movie is now on my permanent rewatch list.

5.0 out of 5 stars War horse, April 9 2012
This review is from: War Horse (Sous-titres français) (DVD)
Fantastic movie with an excellent story, movie well done, captivating, scenery done with perfection, I recommend too everyone to see this movie, very well done.

5.0 out of 5 stars A long faced look at war, Feb. 25 2012
L. Power "nlp trainer" (San Francisco) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)
More recently as Steven Spielberg has become more active as a producer, his directing credits are becoming less common.

In the past year he has produced the brillant Super 8 [Blu-ray], one of my favorites, directed by JJ Abrams, the creator, writer and occasional director of Lost, and the recent Star trek. Super 8 is a great nostalgia piece evoking the early eighties, and an homage to Spielberg's earliest movies. Spielberg also produced Cowboys and Aliens, a somewhat weird meshing of two genres.

Now with War Horse Spielberg directs, and shows his masterful touches throughout. In fact, if you are like me you can see traces of many great movies of the past. The early portions of the movies showing English countryside scenes, and the musical soundtrack of John Williams are reminiscent of John Ford's The Quiet Man. Trench warfare scenes are reminiscent of that all time classic All Quiet on the Western Front. Incidents relating to deserting soldiers are thematically reminiscent of Kubrick's Paths of Glory.

War, as bad as it is, somehow seems worse when an innocent animal is involved, which ultimately makes Warhorse the ultimate anti war polemic. And we have a love story between a young boy Albert, and a horse named Joey. As the movie begins we see the Joey being born, as the boy watches.

Later Albert's alcoholic father instead of buying a proper plough horse, foolishly pits himself agaainst his own landlord in bidding for the flash horse Joey, instead of a huge Clydesdale, making his tenancy precarious, and imperiling his families limited fortunes. Joey faces many trials and tribulations adjusting to the plough. The tight knit community wonders, as does the family, about the consequences of the father's foolishness. Here we have a wonderful perforamnce from Emily Watson as the mother, cruelly snubbed during award season.

When the war happens the father impulsively sells the horse to the military, despite Albert's protests. Albert, understandably distressed, too young to join the military, vows to be reunited with Joey. Meanwhile Joey goes to the front, and we have a poignant scene with his new owner. He and another horse escape the war briefly, and are adopted by a teenage girl. It's not long before the war interferes again, and Joey has a series of adventures. My favorite scene is when he gets trapped in No Mans land, and both sides have to cooperate to free him. I loved the wire clippers flying scene. I also loved the sub story about the two young German brothers, and the parallel structure about how the British deal with a similar situation.

Ultimately the horse is a silent witness to the horror of war, becoming an effective storytelling metaphor.

Later in the movie one scene I thought was a little overdone, the moment of blindfold recognition. I like to feel emotions in a movie, but not to have them evoked in a contrived way.

War Horse certainly deserves to be nominated for Best Picture and Best Cinematography, yet I cannot help thinking that actors who vote for awards would prefer as I do to have the story centered around a human character. Nevetheless, when I was a child or young teen I loved watching movies like this, particularly Lassie Goes to war.

Another movie I recommend if you don't mind subtitles is the French movie A Very Long Engagement, starring Audrey Tautou, and Academy Award winner Marion Cotillard. A girl seeks her boyfriend believed killed by being sent over the trench deliberately into no mans land for breaking military regulations. It has huge parallels with Warhorse except the protagonists are human, and also operates as a polemic. A beautifully filmed touching love story set against the war.

I think you will love it, and I hope this was helpful.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful storytelling..., Jan. 23 2014
Simon Bergeron - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Instead of focusing on a main character to help the narrative, the movie follows the horse as he is passed on from person to person during the first World War... the characters are interesting, and come from many circles of life who are all affected in one way or another by the war. The heartbreaking story is told without a hint of blood, so do not fear a "Saving Private Ryan" redux. It is quite the total opposite and family is the name of the game. Spielberg admirably directs the actors and landscapes are wonderfully filmed (none are digital, by the way). It is a touching story at time, and some of the metaphors are a tribute to the talents of everyone involved into making this film. It is not Spielberg's finest, but it is mostly engaging, not too hard to watch, but some children may find some of the scenes a bit more crude, so better watch the film for yourself first, and then judge if your kids should watch it.

The special features on this 4-disc blu-ray set are very interesting, if a bit short. For more than 90 minutes, you get many featurettes about the making of this epic film, and it is surprising how few digital effects were actually used, but those who are less inclined with a second disc may wish to get the single-disc edition.

3.0 out of 5 stars I expected more?, Jan. 12 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Get out the Kleenex!, Dec 19 2013
This review is from: War Horse (Sous-titres français) (DVD)
I saw the movie then went to the theatre to see the play. While the staging was excellent, a lot of the story was lost. I decided to give this to my friend for Christmas so that she would understand the story better.

4.0 out of 5 stars cheval de guerre francais, Oct. 22 2013
This review is from: War Horse (Sous-titres français) (DVD)
j aime la video et le son tres bien chause qui nous manque souvent aujoudui au quebec le film pour tous

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful film!, Oct. 22 2013
Maxisback (Vancouver, BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I didn't expect much in this film and was blown away with just how wonderful all the actors are. It is superbly directed and photographed, and the story of the horse and all that it goes through is amazing! I am so delighted to add this to my library of films, and highly recommend it to others to do so also.

5.0 out of 5 stars War Horse, Oct. 10 2013
I would recommend this movie to everyone. It Met all my Expectations, and more.
Very entertaining for the entire family.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›
ARRAY(0x9e191684)

War Horse (Sous-titres français)
War Horse (Sous-titres français) by Steven Spielberg (DVD - 2012)
CDN$ 14.99 CDN$ 9.99