summer boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout Home All-New Kindle sports Tools Registry

on August 10, 2013
The first one of these I bought constantly reboot itself when it was in 640x480 in daylight (at night, I had no problems in IR mode). After trying everything, I found that setting it to 320 made it work -- but this resolution was really, way too low. Plugging it in to wired ethernet did not help.

There is a manual focus ring; however, I could not get both the left and right side to focus at the same time. The device is not great as a security camera. First, you can't slow it down to 1-2 fps for constant recording without eating your hard drive for lunch. There is an "alarm" mode, but either you FTP/email a sequence of pictures which are mostly useless, beacuse it takes a while for the camera to deal with the alarm; becuse there is a delay to alarm-based recording, you can only capture someone if they're standing still, moving slowly, or approaching for a far distance. When the unit reboots, it "patrols" the camera, rotating it all around. The problem is, you lose your place.

The second unit that I bought works pretty well so far -- it doesn't reboot unintentionally. For the price, there really isn't anything comparable -- I just hope they spend some time and energy in building better firmware and user experience.
on June 18, 2012
The camera was easy to set up and get running but there are a couple of annoyances I have with it. The plastic on the base is thin and lets through a lot of light from the led's - I had to cover the base with black electrical tape to use it as a baby monitor. Another issue I had is when I set the camera to use a fixed IP - the connection would cut in and out so I just gave up and set it back to dynamic IP. The last thing I want to mention is the IR lights - some times I found it was not dark enough for the lights to come on, but still not light enough to get a decent picture (and the button to turn the IR lights on didn't turn them on).
on May 1, 2014
This camera worked ok for a few months then it went into a constant reboot cycle. Trying to get support has been a nightmare. Foscam Canada (the seller) is a reseller who is separate from Foscam the manufacturer. They will not support it and will only refer me to other sellers. I would recommend purchasing this directly from foscam.ca so you will be certain of warranty coverage. Amazon advertises 2 year warranty but when I contacted them they said it was up to the seller and they are not responsible. Just a big run a round and waste of time.
on May 28, 2012
So this camera works exactly as advertised. Do not buy one direct from Foscam as they are extremely relaxed about sending them out and you probably want it this year. I bought one direct and one from Amazon and I recommend getting it from here. One puzzling thing though is that the IR LEDs shine bright red. Not sure if they all do that but on the Foscam cameras they do.
on April 9, 2014
I saw all the reviews from the amazon.com site where people were having trouble configuring this camera. I thought I would risk it since there are thousands of reviews for this camera and thought the user base is good enough to try. I admit you probably need to be a bit more tech savy and It does take a little while where you have to restart the device maybe half a dozen times. Getting it configured to view while at home was a breeze and took under 5 minutes, but getting it on the iPhone was the challenging part. I managed to get it working (my ISP is Telus, using the Telus wireless modem that they provided in case you are wondering). I also paid for the Surveillance Pro app $5.00 which works flawlessly.

I updated the camera's firmware right away from the website. Lots of online resources for instructions online and they are very good. The only thing I noticed that most instructions do not state is that the final step when you to test the URL, you need to test it from a computer/device outside of your network and not on the same computer you are configuring the camera! I won't go into the technical details but use your smart phone browser through LTE/3G/4G. You'll be glad that you did!

Confirm that your your port is properly configured using the online tools like whatsmyip and canyouseeme websites and if those are good you should be on your way.
on August 1, 2013
Pros:
WAY cheaper than any competing product marketed as a Baby-Cam.
You can view it on your Internet-enabled from ANYWHERE you get a connection (WiFi, 3G, 4G, LTE, etc.)
Viewable on Android smartphones, iPhones, iPads, PCs and MACs!!
It has a pan-and-scan feature.
It has two-way audio (If your device has a microphone, you can talk to the person at the other end...and vice versa!)
After your kids grow up, you can use it as a security camera!
If you're not at home, you can view it using the free FOSCAM app, or by surfing directly into your router's address.

Cons:
No zoom (kept it from being a 5-star for me)
The speed of transmission for audio is limited by the speed of your internet connection. If the camera is wired, lag is almost non-existent. If you've set it up wirelessly, it may lag.
If you don't know how to set-up a WiFi router and open specific ports, then you'll need help with this one.

Some people don't like the constant flashing in the back, indicating that it is transferring data, but if you're kid can't get to sleep because of THAT, then you have other problems!
on June 28, 2013
I bought this camera to be able to peek in on my baby's crib while we were doing sleep training.

The camera has full pan and tilt with a great range of motion, completely controllable through the bundled web interface or through third party applications (desktop or mobile). There is a light sensor at the top of the array of infrared (IR) LED's that automatically switches them on when dark for night vision. The software/third part apps also let you switch back and forth between automatic IR and Off modes.

When properly focused, the video is very clear and was perfect for our needs. Picture/audio quality is far from HD, but it is not advertised as such and makes no false promises.

Setup was a bit tricky and to get the installation just right it helps to have a good general understanding of network systems. The instructions appear to have been translated from another language or written by someone still learning English. If you were unfamiliar with networking protocols and were reading the instructions verbatim it may be confusing, but not impossible to set up.

My only real complaint about the device is the inability to default the IR on/off mode. The firmware provided with the unit has many features and I think this could be added quite easily. While I doubt the small amounts of IR cast by this device are harmful, I prefer to keep it off unless I am watching the video, but it seems whenever the unit is powered down and back on it defaults to turning the IR on. There are also other times when the IR comes on seemingly on its own. I am testing a hypothesis that if you turn the IR off one night, it may turn itself back on the following night after a day of sunlight. I can't prove that yet and am still troubleshooting.

4.5/5 Stars
on November 11, 2013
This is an amazingly full-featured camera for under $100. They have thought of everything.

When combined with the Foscam Pro app on the iPhone/iPad (highly recommended but not necessary), it's perfect.
Motion detection, audio detection, scheduling, recording, night vision, audio in and audio out, Internet wireless, great video quality, OK sound output quality, although I had to plug it into an external speaker for it to be understood by my elderly mother. But at least there is a port for an external speaker.

Set up was a bit tricky because you have to plug it in to a router using an Ethernet cable and my wireless router (an Apple Airport Express) doesn't have a slot to plug a cable into. I managed to daisy chain a couple of Airport Express routers and used the Ethernet port on the 2nd router. Set up might be tricky for non-technical people but once set up, it just works, every time.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon September 6, 2014
If you are looking for a budget friendly network camera, this is possibly your best bet. Initially, I have a bit of trouble to get the software (CD provided) to connect to the camera's IP address (which my router assigned by default, once it recognised the camera). The solution? Download the most recent version of the software from Foscam's website. At least that worked for my Windows 7 desktop. Using the same IP address, I can access the camera from both my tablet and my cellphone.
As for the functions, it is a pretty basic camera. The image resolution is pretty low (640 x 480 p), but it has an outdoor mode that makes the quality of the image pretty decent (I have it installed under my porch's soffit). The Infrared diodes are not too powerful, but, in total darkness, they are OK to cover an area up to 6 metres away from the camera.
I would recommend getting a third party software for proper movement or sound alert recording, Internet access when you are away, etc. In my opinion, the Foscam software supplied (Foscam IP camera client) is not very useful for the mentioned applications, and it does not even let you adding a time and date stamp to your recordings. I am using it with iSpy software; it works really well.

UPDATE: As of March 2015, the camera is still working like a charm. It performed perfectly, even during the harsh, cold winter days and nights (as low as -28 C), without a hiccup. So even if not designed as an outdoor camera, you can still use it as long as it's installed on a sheltered spot. I'll keep updating about the camera from time to time.
on July 31, 2013
Other cameras sell for much more and have the same features as this camera, so this is definitely the best value for your money.
Setup can be tricky if its your inexperienced with network addressing, but otherwise very straight forward.

The audio input/output does not work well via Chrome browser but works well using Internet Explorer.

I used a free app for android and view the video from another room.

If you are going to record the video, you are better using third party software. I have been unable to record video using the software that came with the camera.