5.0 out of 5 stars This is the series I love to hate ...
Published on March 5 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars More Emmett and Melanie please...
Published on June 27 2004 by welek

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the series I love to hate ..., March 5 2004
By A Customer
It's funny how people review the season and not the DVDs. I don't have Showtime, so I've experienced QAF for the past three years only on DVD. The experience is MUCH different this way. I know that I wouldn't have the patience to watch it episode by episode on a weekly basis, I'd lose interest because QAF is annoying to watch and the characters are too extreme. I wish Debbie would shut the f*ck up.
What I love about QAF is this: the writers are brilliant and their minds project from the first to the final episode. You only experience this fully by watching the entire season at one time. The gratuitous sex, violence, and drugs are grating, but at the end of each episode I'm left a little bewildered and enticed to want to know what will happen next. By the final episode I am floored.
I don't read the reviews that tell me the plot and subplots. This stuff is obvious. But I do want you to know how QAF makes me feel and think. I'm generally conservative, but by the end of each season I want to celebrate being human, and I want the next season right away. QAF is about failure and redemption and the whole of human experience on fast-forward and in technocolor. I laughed when one reviewer said that he skips through certain sequences but takes his time on the sex scenes.
The QAF experience is just the opposite, it requires some of life's experience and a certain maturity to understand - to work through the stubborn glamorization of what is excessive and infantile in gay life and to finally see the characters for what they are: humans with hearts of blood and stone. I especially love the references to prior seasons, bringing Blake back at the end of the final episode was outstanding in the context of what was happening to Ted. Wow.
Okay, another year until season four. I'll rent it all at once, watch it over a weekend, laugh out loud, shed a tear, clap, fume, and in the end be overjoyed. I know the formula and characters will be the same, but that the twists will more than make up for it. I wouldn't associate with any one of these characters in real life but in the end, they're all my friends. Now that, that is remarkable testament to why QAF is so damned brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, April 22 2013
This review is from: Queer As Folk: Season 3 (DVD)
Absolutely loved the 3rd season! A big fan of Queer as Folk and the fact it was filmed on location and in studio in Toronto.

5.0 out of 5 stars Queer As Fold DVD's, May 24 2012
This review is from: Queer As Folk: Season 3 (DVD)
I got the collection of the five seasons and when I went to watch the third season, mine wouldn't work. So I waited a few months until I saw this one here. I think that the third season was the greatest because this was the season that Justin grew up after the bashing and realized that the next guy that came along was like all the rest. Only thing is is that Justin did realize is that he was still in love with Brian Kinney. So go out and purchase the five seasons and see what homosexuality is all about.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great season, great character development, May 12 2004
Everyone has a strong opinion on this show. I for one thoroughly enjoyed season 3. My review, without spoilers:
Scott Lowell's performance as Ted addicted to crystal meth is outstanding. Peter Paige also does a spectacular job as Emmitt, Ted's boyfriend, trying to deal with the addition. This saga within the series is one of the best parts of season three.
That being said, I could have done without Hunter: was he added to the show simply to have a twink on hand now that Justin is maturing? Also, I would love to see just ONE episode where it isn't necessary for the cast to get their freak on at Babylon, the disco.
I cringe when I see the illicit, casual sex and casual drug use on the show. I will respect the writers' decision to include it, as it's part of gay life. But the writers could be more inclusive of the diversity of opinions in the community by adding a character that is opposed to casual sex and recreational drug use. They do exist!

5.0 out of 5 stars série adorée, Jan. 30 2010
This review is from: Queer as Folk: Season 3 (DVD)
Cette série est une de mes préférées, tout près de "Six feet under".
Il serait bien bête de se priver d'une si grande série pensant qu'elle ne s'adresse qu'aux gais et n'intéressera que ces derniers.
C'est si bien écrit, les personnages sont si attachants et les acteurs tellement bons...
Que tous les hétéros qui ont envie de s'ouvrir un peu l'esprit se lancent!

Persévérez malgré la musique techno et les scènes parfois un peu (trop?) osées.
Vous ne le regretterez pas.

4.0 out of 5 stars Finally, Ted is actually interesting, July 5 2004
Bette (East Coast USA) - See all my reviews
Definitely better than season 2. Ted becomes interesting, finally! And Kinney gets a heart. A surprising new role (or two) for Michael, Justin refuses to settle but then settles again...how long will that last, though? The characters are moving forward in life, and it's a good thing. The bar scene is still active, but no longer the center of it all. These people actually have lives.

1.0 out of 5 stars Kill your television!, July 4 2004
What's worse than bad television? Answer: bad gay television. After three and a-half seasons of QAF I still can't figure out why so many in our community have embraced this show. Is it because we feel we have nothing else on tv that gives us a voice? What about HBO's Angels in America and Six feet Under? And don't forget the first installment of Tales of the City. These shows prove that we can have quality programming if the people behind them have a creative, honest and caring voice for our community. Instead, Showtime serves us this. Every character on this show is not only a stereotype but a cliche. And how about hiring actors who can act? What QAF gives us are "line-readers" who can whine on cue. Debbie's potty mouth becomes unbearable after about ten seconds and Brian's one dimentional character leaves me scratching my head in disbelief. The actor who plays Ted is so bad that when he's on screen I can't hit the mute button fast enough. I enjoyed season one and hoped that what followed would only get better. It didn't. This is un-reality television at its worst. I don't know anyone as queer as these folks.

3.0 out of 5 stars More Emmett and Melanie please..., June 27 2004
welek (Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia) - See all my reviews
Alright now we're at Season Three, enough has been said of how SHOWTIME had come this far to make this totally queer, bold, or whatever awesome gay drama for the America's television - and also the gossips intercontinentally - I strongly feel the story has slowly lost its grisp to constantly "thrill" the constantly demanding DVD audience (especially those who spent 4 times utterly higher than the people earning DOLLARS in the states).
It's as if we've come to know Brian Kinney (more than enough as the number of smack bottoms he took back to his bourgeois loft), his (...) lucky pal Michael Novortny who seems to have it all, his custody shared longtime friend Lindsay and her absolutely perfect lesband Melanie, and his oh-so-predictable one-and-off whatevership with so called brighter-than-sunshine but bored-than-britney Justin Taylor. Enough crystal drama for the newly coupled Ted and Emmett, and definitely a big enough mouth for enough fabulous mama Debbie. Season Three also tend to consolate the gay activists by creating a win-win result over a election campaign, and add one more new member to the Diner's family, a teenage street hustler named Hunter, who came around a little rather imaginative for the storyline. However, not enough has been explored on a few members of this family.
I personally feel Melanie and Emmett are actually two potentially very explorable characters among the gang that would give the directors a good run of scripts. Melanie's coming strong in-your-face dyke attitude should be treated with a little extra indepth focus and Emmett's flamboyant outshell may as well worth a closer look. Just ask yourself, if the entire characters in the show were your real life friends, how much do you know about Melanie and Emmett after watching the Season One, Two, and Three? Do you know where they come from? The answer is no, see.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than Season 2, June 2 2004
Daryl B (Nashville, Tennessee United States) - See all my reviews
I was ready to give up on Queer as Folk after Season 2. I'm tired of seeing how many positions, how many partners, how many ways Brian can have sex. But this Season, amid Brian's constant need to quench his lust, there were storylines and plots that were interesting. Emmet and Ted's relationship hits a rather rocky spot, from which there was no turning back. Debbie's relationship also becomes strained....while Michael and his professor take in an HIV + hustler. Brian has to deal with the consequences of his terrific work in advertising for a client who is bent on destroying Pittsburg's gay community. There are plenty of things going on this season with the character's, including Lindsey and Mel, which made this season, though shorter, much more interesting for me. I'd love to see the writers and directors back of the sexual content (not completely) but enough to focus more on the characters and other facets of the gay community. It seems anytime they do focus on another part of the gay community (such as a bear/leather bar) it is with comtempt and negativity. Anyone who is gay or has gay friends know that "Queer as Folk" certainly doesn't emcompass the complete gay experience. But for the next season it would be nice to see QAF expand their horizons beyond the pretty boys we see on a regular basis.
As far as the extra features, there is plenty there. Photo galleries, a cool music video, behind the scenes with actors, etc. Overall, if you are a fan of the show, you'll definitely wan to add this to your dvd library. A season worth watching....let's hope they give us more story and less sex in Season 4!

5.0 out of 5 stars Queer As Folk Continues To Please, May 15 2004
David Anderson (St. Cloud, MN) - See all my reviews
"Queer As Folk" continues entertaining audiences as proven in this DVD set. When the show debuted on Showtime in 2000, many wondered how long it can maintain its surprise and shock value. Before its debut, only "Will And Grace" and "Ellen" had expored GLBT issues to such heights. This offered issues that the community can relate to. It's since earned numerous nominations from the GLAAD (Gays, Lesbians, and Allies Against Defamination) Awards for Outstanding TV sitcom. The third season proves that it sustains its great quality while comprising new and interesting ideas. It expresses many views that many unfortunately consider taboo and places it into their faces in great magnitudes. Such daring techniques earn the cast and crew tremendous respect for doing what many would never consider. The third season explores numerous issues for the first time: politics, hustling, drug abuse, and others. The brilliant plot continues to entertain audiences as it has in the past.
Those who have watched the first two seasons will notice some change in events and settings. An unexpected hero arising to save a town from being led by a homophobic mayor candatite and crystal meth beginning to tumble the life of an unexpected man are only two events that will shock and mesmerize longtime fans. Justin's break-up, the future of "Rage" comic book, and if best friends Ted and Emmitt's relationship blossoms into romance. Viewers will notice a broader prospective on HIV/ AIDS as Ben suffers a life crisis after his friend/ ex-boyfriend dies of AIDS, leading to steroid use, and helps a 15-year-old hustler, later discovering they can relate to each other more than they planned. Such chilling chain of events and others lead to a surprising conclusion that leaves audiences anxiously awaiting for season four.
The variety of personalities within the characters offer greater viewing entertainment. Without it, "Queer As Folk" wouldn't have as much impact. The actors express their individual character's traits wonderfully. Michelle Clunie (Mel), Thea Gill (Lindsay), Robert Gant (Ben), Scott Lowell (Ted), Peter Paige (Emmitt), Gale Howard (Brian), Hal Sparks (Michael), Randy Harrison (Justin), and Sharon Gless (Debbie) star. Their talents alone greatly express the characters' development throughout the season.
After viewing the whole season, those pleased with the DVD set should also watch the bonus features. Kristine W.'s new music video is great to dance to. The features and facts about the show's background and the creation are interesting. Viewers will learn about the creation and the secrets of Babylon, the actors' history before and during the show, and more. Specials on some actors' activism, participation in gay parades, autograph signing festivals offer more of their background on their acting influences.
"Queer As Folk" third season edition proves that it will remain on the air for a while longer. This series of episodes is sure to pleases audiences. Those interested in this should watch the first and the second season first. Otherwise, the chain of events will be confusing.

ARRAY(0xb00bdec4)