Published on Oct. 30 2010 by Dr. Joseph Lee

3.0 out of 5 stars Not up to the hype
It was good, but it wasn't anything particularly special. It didn't come close to the hype I had heard about it in my opinion.
Published on Dec 9 2012 by Ryan

5.0 out of 5 stars How To Train Your Dragon Blu Ray...a heart-warming, gratifying video/audio experience, Oct. 30 2010
Dr. Joseph Lee (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (#1 HALL OF FAME)    (REAL NAME)
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
Video: This 1080p presentation is top-notch, spectacular and eye-catching, with vibrant colours and many fine details. The flying sequence of Hiccup and Astrid on Toothless is a sight to behold. Besides fantastic video, the story line is also top-notch, making one to root for the underdog. If you are an animal lover, you will truly appreciate the delicate details of interaction between Hiccup and the dragon Toothless at the first encounter, seeing how the dragon's head slowly approaching Hiccup's hand to be stroked. The fine detail of the video is awesome, with Toothless cat-like green eyes to Astrid's blonde hair. This is no Pixar film, because the expression of human's face is still not as fluid as those in Pixar's films, like Toy Story, but Dreamworks has improved a lot. (5/5)

Audio: The DTS-HD MA 5.1 is also wonderful with powerful bass. It complemented the video. It makes one totally immersed into the movie. (5/5)

I saw this movie in the IMAX-3D theatre (I still have their "Made in Taiwan" IMAX-3D glasses, displayed in my home theatre) and was charmed by both the video and audio. This is one movie that the whole family will enjoy, again and again. Both the video and audio are top-notch, with a strong heart-warming storyline. It was a thoroughly enjoyable experience. Highly recommended and a Must-Own.

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING!, Nov. 20 2010
This movie was fantastic!! The animation is awesome and the story is really great. It has a wonderful message about animals and how we relate to them and how we treat them. Perfect for 5 and up!!Really really fast delivery and great price too!

5.0 out of 5 stars An Istant Classic!!!, Dec 1 2010
James D White (Toronto, ON, Canada) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: How to Train Your Dragon (DVD)
I have to say up front that I had zero expectations for this movie and expected it to totally suck. But instead it did nothing more than impress me. With a great cast, solid plot and lots of action this is nothing more than one of the greatest movies of 2010.

Now I'll tell you my gripes right off the bat. Why do the children all have normal voices but all the adults have Scottish accents? And why does the main dragon look just like a monster from Pokemon? That is all my major issues with the movie. All the voice actors did a solid job but I could pick out all the actors very easily. Gerard Butler was really good along with Craig Ferguson.

The real meat and potato's is the relationship between Jay Baruchel's character hiccup, and his Dragon Toothless, and the relationship between Hiccup and his father the "King" of the village. These really make the movie feel real and give's a solid human feel to all the characters. The movie is kind of funny but really it's all about the action. The scene's when the Dragon is flying and fighting are nothing more than spectacular. Very well directed and so much fun.

I don't want to spoil anything in regards to the story but it was really fun. Really I have to say this is solid fun for parents and their children. How to train you dragon comes Highly Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it! A must!, Oct. 26 2010
Ce commentaire est de: How to Train Your Dragon (DVD)
I haven't seen any movie lately in animation that I thoroughly enjoyed from start to finish.
I must say this is going on my list of movie of the year.

Fun, colorful, amazing, entertaining.

A really good family movie for all to enjoy over and over again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great movie! Great bonus!, Oct. 15 2010
C. Devries (Canada) - See all my reviews
I watched this movie with my kids and was surprised how "into it" I was! I actually hushed my 3 year old at one point so I could catch the dialogue! Usually (ahem Disney) you end up with one useful DVD and another "bonus" DVD that has absolutely nothing of interest on it. This package came with a second episode (albeit lower quality) for double the fun!
I'm not a huge DreamWorks fan - but the script/story on this one is on par with any Pixar film. Buy it - watch it - love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Watcheable, over and over, Feb. 10 2011
PumpkinPie (Scarborough, Ont., Canada) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: How to Train Your Dragon (DVD)
Never mind the kids, I've seen this movie 5 times now. I have to admit that by now, watching it is not as enjoyable as the first time when certain scenes are novel and the humour is fresh, but I still get a giggle.
Is Toothless more cat, puppy, or kimono dragon?...not really sure, but he sure has his own character and personality and is super cute (can I have one?)
The kids and I have read the book, and there is such a difference between the two stories as to be almost unrecognizeable. In a rare instance, I have found the movie to be better than the book.
The detail is amazing - check out Hiccup's hair how it moves naturally as he gestures, and how the sun brings out the 'highlights'.
Also, it took having to see it at least 3 times before I noticed that everyone (?) has a Scottish accent but the (American) Hiccup.
This may be the best children's movie I have ever seen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Adventure for the whole family^^, Nov. 18 2011
DarthFusion (Brampton, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
How to Train Your Dragon was a ton of fun.

The animation was top notch, the voice actors were great, and the clash of Vikings vs Dragons made for a great film.

The story is more-or-less your typical underdog story, involving a young viking who would rather learn, than fight. He must overcome the seemingly impossible odds, to help his people, win the favor of his father, get the girl, and basically save the day.

If you like Fantasy, Adventure and Fun, this is definitely one to watch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cressida Cowell's book, animated to the Big Screen, Nov. 13 2010
Frances L. Arsenault "lover of literature" (Nanaimo, BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
I saw the movie in 3D last weekend, and after that I know that it's another DreamWorks animated classic. The film is based on the book by Cressida Cowell; I had read the book and I love it! - and this film too.

Unlike the original book, the film starts as war between the Vikings of Berk and dragons. And during a dragon-attack, young Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III, bought down a legendary "Night Fury" dragon with a bola-gun. Upon finding the dragon, Hiccup was about to kill the beast; but he couldn't bring himself to it. And Hiccup realize he couldn't kill a dragon, and it gets worse when his chieftain father enrolls him in dragon-slaying training classes. After training, Hiccup finds the Night Fury again trapped in a small canyon. Hiccup soon sees that one half of the dragon's tail wings was ripped off during his crash landing and has left him unable to fly. Trying to make things right, Hiccup slowly gains the dragon's trust and names him Toothless - though his teeth retract back into his gums when he's not eating, so he appears "toothless." As the two continue to learn about each other, Hiccup constructs an artificial tail and saddle for Toothless, enabling him to fly again, but only with Hiccup's aid.

Though Toothless, Hiccup learns more about dragons and that they are not the monsters the villagers think they are; will their friendship last? Well, you will have to see the film for yourself. So overall, I love really this film from beginning to end.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must Be Seen, Oct. 6 2014
Ce commentaire est de: How to Train Your Dragon (DVD)
I was so skeptical when I first watched this movie. I thought it was a romp for children, and I am 50 something, so it took some doing to try it out. This is now my all time favorite animated movie - even winning out over my previous favorites of Miyazake - and that is saying a lot, as I consider Miyazake the King of animation. This movie is so well done, the story is fabulous; humorous, touching, romantic, adventuresome, breathtaking, thrilling. The facial expressions, the narrative so perfect. I have watched this movie over and over again, especially the part where Toothless and Hiccup become friends. This must become a classic scene, and a cult movie for sure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Collector's Item, Nov. 15 2010
Lisa Bittner "Five-O Nut" (Alberta, Canada) - See all my reviews
I saw this movie in 3D in the theatre and was BLOWN AWAY by the awesome cinematography and animation. Seeing it on a smaller screen at home, I found it just as enjoyable, if not more considering at home I have the option of replaying certain scenes, etc.

The storyline is suitable for all ages. The dragons aren't so scary that small children can't relate to the story or the characters. Also, there's plenty of humour in the story to suit any age of viewer. As an adult, you simply find yourself lost in the entire spectacle which makes for a very enjoyable experience!

I highly recommend this movie to anyone, even if they're not a fan of animation.

How To Train Your Dragon [Blu-ray 3D + DVD] (Bilingual)
CDN$ 32.99 CDN$ 26.99