5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding music
One of my favorite albums of all times. One of the best albums that JT ever made. It's strong. He speaks from the soul. I've listened to it so many times I have it completely memorized. I tend to like his older music much better than his newer tunes. I can't recommend this album strongly enough. Enjoy.
Published on Jan. 31 2004 by Tom

2.0 out of 5 stars Heavily overrated
Before I recently bought a copy of Mud Slide Slim and the Blue Horizon, I had owned James Taylor's original greatest hits collection for nearly ten years and liked it very much, but only recently did I think to acquire another album [probably because Greatest Hits satisfied me so well]. I was rather disappointed with Mud Slide Slim.
You know, the problem with the...
Published on March 25 2004 by Joshua Knape

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding music, Jan. 31 2004
Tom "Tom M." (Shawnee, OK United States) - See all my reviews

2.0 out of 5 stars Heavily overrated, March 25 2004
Joshua Knape "student" (Arizona, USA) - See all my reviews
You know, the problem with the greatest hits collection is that it distills and sanitizes Taylor's oeuvre too well, leaving one with a less-than-accurate portrait of what to expect from one of the regular albums like Mud Slide Slim. The songs are self-centered and occasionally cynical: an example is the first track--"Love Has Brought Me Around." You would expect in this an acknowledgement of, perhaps, how being loved taught him to return love; instead the message is 'don't tell me your troubles; I don't want to hear them,' and 'I don't need you anymore, so I'll be on my way.' The brooder "Long Ago and Far Away" is vaguely interesting, but is so self-absorbed as to lack the melancholy grace of "Sweet Baby James" or "Carolina in My Mind." Another song, the ditty "Machine Gun Kelly," displays a misogynistic attitude that ill suits Taylor but which, oddly, I have noticed in at least one other song of his ("Don't Let Me Be Lonely Tonight"). I did, however, somewhat like the anti-war poem "Soldiers," which reminded me of early Simon and Garfunkel.
I'm willing to try another James Taylor album, but Mud Slide Slim and the Blue Horizon didn't impress me. Sorry.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Album!!!, Sept. 20 2002
By A Customer
Next to Sweet Baby James, this is my favorite James Taylor album.
The songs just go so well together. Unlike the stripped down sound of Sweet Baby James, Mud Slide takes it a little further with great electric guitar on the title track, as well as some great harmony vocals by Joni Mitchell, to superb percussive work. Another aspect is the song lengths. All the song lengths vary thoughout the album - from 53 seconds all the way to around 5 minutes.
(James will put the "short ditties" to good use on One Man Dog, but on Mud Slide, he only does 3 or 4 short tracks that are about a minute or so)
As for highlights, there are too many. Although I will mention that I agree with a previous reviewer saying that more should have been released as singles other than the classic "You've Got A Friend". Possibly the absolutely gorgeous "You Can Close Your Eyes", "Riding On A Railroad", or the opening track "Love Has Brought Me Around".
Bottom Line: Listen to Sweet Baby James and then this album, and you will find out why James Taylor is one of the best artists of our time.

5.0 out of 5 stars The ultimate James Taylor album, Jan. 4 2002
Lion Awake (Northern California, USA) - See all my reviews
Others say James Taylor's third album, Mud Slide Slim, surpasses the excellent and more popular Sweet Baby James, and I fully agree. Mud Slide Slim is loaded with depth, creativity, and beauty.... James gives his audience every penny's worth on this classic recording. Taylor's voice and guitar work are tremendous on this effort, plus the accompanying musicians do a fine job.
My favorite songs include You Can Close Your Eyes, Mud Slide Slim, Highway Song, and Long Ago and Far Away, and Hey, Mister, That's me up on the Jukebox. The reality is, however, they're all great tracks on this one.
On Mud Slide Slim, James Taylor speaks to people who have suffered, feel the difficulty of living, and willingly confront the bittersweet quality of existence. He touches and consoles the listener with his songwriting and musical talent. This album showcases his considerable artistic capacity a young man, but the content is still relevant now (30 years later). Mud Slide Slim is worthy of a special place in your c.d. collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really What Music Should Be, Oct. 29 2001
Oddsfish (United States) - See all my reviews
I am a nineteen-year-old with unusual (for my age) tastes in music. Luckily, my tastes are far superior to that of others my age because mine allow me to indulge myself in the wondrous music of James Taylor. Mud Slide Slim and the Blue Horizon is my favorite album of JT's (Greatest Hits Vol. I excluded). With this beautiful album JT might have reached the pinnacle of his still, strong career. The music here is what the music of the singer-songwriters was (and is) all about. This music is what all of today's music should aspire to be. The music truly has meaning. The words to songs like "You've Got a Friend," "Isn't It Nice to Be Home Again," "You Can Close Your Eyes," and "Long Ago and Far Away" are sincere, and they really do strike home for any human. The musicianship is also fabulous. The strongest use of an instrument is certainly JT with his voice. His delivery is always understated, he allows to words themselves to do the speaking, but it remains vibrant, molodious, and beautiful. The depth of this music in all areas is immeasurably superior to any of that being made by more recent artists.
About two months ago, I was fortunate to see JT in concert in San Antonio, and it was so magnificant. I will hopefully one day be able to see him live again. At that concert, he displayed just how well his music has stood the test of time. Hopefully, my generation will wake up to the glories of JT's music, and hopefully, people will experience his early work like Mud Slide Slim and the Blue Horizon.

5.0 out of 5 stars James Taylor's Third Outing As "Mudslide Slim"!, Sept. 4 2000
Barron Laycock "Labradorman" (Temple, New Hampshire United States) - See all my reviews
I was lucky enough to first see James Taylor live in a small outdoor venue called Avaloch in rural Lenox, Massachusetts in the summer of 1970, after this first album recorded by the Beatles in London had been released and just before the release of the fabulously successful "Sweet Baby James" album by Warner Brothers. He appeared alone on-stage with a full head of long, long hair in a simple denim shirt and cut-up jeans with his four or five acoustic guitars, and for two and a half hours proceeded to absolutely enchant the sprawling lawn-full of hundreds of audience members with a spellbinding performance of all of the work from his first two albums. Although virtually unknown at the time, word of mouth had spread so quickly in the Berkshires area (who still considers him one of their own) that many of us went out to get this album to play before he appeared. The rest, as they say, is history.
This is his third time at bat, and this particular album showcases his truly amazing talents with a number of unforgettable songs like "You've Got A Friend', written by Carol King, "Mudslide Slim", and "Love Has Brought Me Around". It also shows a different aspect of his talents in that he has a wider selection of different types of songs, ranging all the way from a somber, reflective, and overtly political song like "Soldiers' to reflections about his newfound fame in "Hey Mister, That's Me Up On The Jukebox" to a lovely love song , "You Can Close Your Eyes". He has a number of short, sweet, and reflective songs like "Long Ago And Far Away", "Isn't It Nice to Be Home Again?", and "Places In My Past" that show just how durable and prolific an artist he had become. His performance on this third album is brilliant proof of just how incredibly talented an interpretive artist Taylor really is, suggesting the long, fabled ride in popularity he has enjoyed ever since. It is certainly a terrific showcase for how well Taylor can deliver on a variety of original works and covers of other contemporary folk songs. Enjoy

3.0 out of 5 stars I Love it, you might not, June 2 2004
Heather A. Hardaway "BiggieRay77@yahoo.com" (Rochester, New Yok) - See all my reviews
I love this album, but I admit I'm more of a James Taylor fan than most. If you're used to the greatest hits, than this might not be for you. It's not the stuff you hear on the adult contemporary stations, instead, it's a little more personal, and a lot more emotional. Is it a bad album? Certainly not, is it typical James Taylor? Absolutely. I'm sure most artists would agree that quite often, the "Greatest Hits" aren't always the best an artist has to offer, or even indicative for that matter. They're hand picked snippits thrown together for the masses. That phenomenon is apparent in this case. So I say to you, if you don't like this album, because it's not like the greatest hits; Perhaps you should try "Greatest Hits Volume II" It lives up to the former collections standards

5.0 out of 5 stars Every song is a James Taylor masterpiece!, June 5 1999
Bob Martinez (Brooksville, FL USA) - See all my reviews
A lot of people seem to mention Sweet Baby James as Taylor's finest hour. I disagree. This one is one of the finest albums I've ever heard by anyone. Taylor casts a slight overcast tinge throughout this album yet manages to inject bits of humor and optimism. It never sounds dated because the music is so strong and intelligent. My favorites are Long Ago & Far Away featuring Joni Mitchell, You Can Close Your Eyes, Riding On A Railroad, and Machine Gun Kelly. But you know what? Every song is a James Taylor masterpiece. If you're looking for excellence in the singer-soundwriter vein. This album is the one. It will always have a place in my collection as long as I'm around.

5.0 out of 5 stars Soulful and Searching, April 10 2000
A. Robinson (Quebec, Canada) - See all my reviews
Mud Slide Slim and the Blue Horizon was one of those albums that shaped my teenage psyche when it was first released. It expressed through songs like Riding on a Railroad, Highway Song and Let Me Ride, the restlessness of looking for the soul's home. A haunting and delicate weaving of words and music in Long Ago and Far Away still sends chills down my spine, and reminds me how consoling Taylor's songs were and are. No other James Taylor album touches my soul as much as this one, where he articulates a yearning for something not yet known. An absolute must for any music lover's library.

5.0 out of 5 stars This recording is positively top of the heap !!, Dec 7 1998
By A Customer
It really doesn't matter what your musical preferences are - James Taylor is one of the most tasteful and influential artists of our time. Anyone who has ever listened to one of James' recordings can "feel" his music and in my opinion "Mud Slide Slim" embodies his life's work. This soulful album introduced me (seriously) to his work and I have listened to it literally at least a hundred times. Regardless of your mood - happy or sad - "You Can Close Your Eyes" will speak to you - and from then on as many of us have - you will come to love James Taylor!

Mud Slide Slim (24Karat Gold-numbered)
Mud Slide Slim (24Karat Gold-numbered) by James Taylor (Audio CD - 2012)