4.0 out of 5 stars Better features but slower than Lightroom 3.x, March 16 2012
iqi616 (Ottawa, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 Upgrade (DVD-ROM)
I've only had this a week or so therefore this is just a quick review because I haven't explored all the features.

The shadow and highlight features are what attracted me to upgrade and I wasn't disappointed - it works better for me. The Highlight feature can still produce halos around darker areas if pushed too hard but it goes further than the 3.x Recovery feature before doing so. The Shadow feature seems to work better than the Fill Light feature of 3.x. These features are particularly useful in processing scans from "thin" slides to rescue some texture from skies and shadows. In general I find now that I can do a lot more before I have to touch the Tone Curve controls.

[Edit: The sharpening is also noticeably improved compared to 3.x - not that it was bad then but now it pulls out even more detail without increasing noise. I was working on a scan of a backlit skyline and small items that had been blown out before are now coming through.]

One useful feature is in the Print module... Print Adjustment. This gives simple Brightness and Contrast controls. I find this very handy for tweaking a print without having to go back to the Develop module and start changing things (which of course then all interact so that a quick adjustment turns out to be half an hour's work). I can just adjust and reprint. Yes I know it's no substitute for calibrating one's screen and printer but it works for me for the moment when I get those shots that work well on screen but are dark on paper.

The downside is to Lightroom 4 is that it is slower at rendering on the screen. My laptop has a Core 2 Duo processor and where Lightroom 3 was acceptable I now have to wait a moment longer before I see my adjustment on screen and it's just long enough to bug me. That is a nuisance in making adjustments such as noise and sharpening because I have to adjust then pause then adjust and pause. These are only 8 MP images too which shouldn't be a strain. It's not quite bad enough to send me back to Lightroom 3 because of the improved features but it is disappointing. As it is I won't be upgrading from Lightroom 4 to a newer release unless I know for certain that the speed issue has been addressed - I couldn't handle it being any slower than it is now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing product., Jan. 27 2013
This review is from: Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 Upgrade (DVD-ROM)
Had Lightroom 3 and was very impressed with the ease of use without much of an education from the manual although a basic course and a Kelby instruction book made the program come alive. Lightroom 4 has so far made the need for other programs virtually unnecessary. I very seldom go to adobe elements or CS4 any more. I highly recommend Lightroom for its organization abilities and photo adjustment functionality,

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost better than Photoshop, Aug. 22 2012
David (Alberta, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 Upgrade (DVD-ROM)
Lightroom is getting more mature and quicker to use than Photoshop. There is still much that only Photoshop has the capability of doing but for speed and accuracy in basic digital photo processing Lightroom is now the winner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Adobe, Aug. 20 2014
Love this program

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 Upgrade
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 Upgrade by Adobe (Mac OS X, Windows 7 / Vista)
Out of stock