Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage SmartSaver Kitchen Kindle Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Home, Kitchen and Garden Gift Guide

on March 16, 2012
I've only had this a week or so therefore this is just a quick review because I haven't explored all the features.

The shadow and highlight features are what attracted me to upgrade and I wasn't disappointed - it works better for me. The Highlight feature can still produce halos around darker areas if pushed too hard but it goes further than the 3.x Recovery feature before doing so. The Shadow feature seems to work better than the Fill Light feature of 3.x. These features are particularly useful in processing scans from "thin" slides to rescue some texture from skies and shadows. In general I find now that I can do a lot more before I have to touch the Tone Curve controls.

[Edit: The sharpening is also noticeably improved compared to 3.x - not that it was bad then but now it pulls out even more detail without increasing noise. I was working on a scan of a backlit skyline and small items that had been blown out before are now coming through.]

One useful feature is in the Print module... Print Adjustment. This gives simple Brightness and Contrast controls. I find this very handy for tweaking a print without having to go back to the Develop module and start changing things (which of course then all interact so that a quick adjustment turns out to be half an hour's work). I can just adjust and reprint. Yes I know it's no substitute for calibrating one's screen and printer but it works for me for the moment when I get those shots that work well on screen but are dark on paper.

The downside is to Lightroom 4 is that it is slower at rendering on the screen. My laptop has a Core 2 Duo processor and where Lightroom 3 was acceptable I now have to wait a moment longer before I see my adjustment on screen and it's just long enough to bug me. That is a nuisance in making adjustments such as noise and sharpening because I have to adjust then pause then adjust and pause. These are only 8 MP images too which shouldn't be a strain. It's not quite bad enough to send me back to Lightroom 3 because of the improved features but it is disappointing. As it is I won't be upgrading from Lightroom 4 to a newer release unless I know for certain that the speed issue has been addressed - I couldn't handle it being any slower than it is now.
on January 27, 2013
Had Lightroom 3 and was very impressed with the ease of use without much of an education from the manual although a basic course and a Kelby instruction book made the program come alive. Lightroom 4 has so far made the need for other programs virtually unnecessary. I very seldom go to adobe elements or CS4 any more. I highly recommend Lightroom for its organization abilities and photo adjustment functionality,
on August 22, 2012
Lightroom is getting more mature and quicker to use than Photoshop. There is still much that only Photoshop has the capability of doing but for speed and accuracy in basic digital photo processing Lightroom is now the winner.
on May 4, 2015
Very happy with the software purchase, however, whenever you buy or rent a newer camera, this sometimes makes you have to buy upgrade version to use latest Lightroom, as earlier versions may not support newest camera. For software, this is still a low priced upgrade compared to other software. I prefer not to buy cloud version. I use both DXO Elite Pro and Lightroom 4 and both have their strengths. Lightroom is great for outdoor photos and recovering highlights and shadow detail in fast enough workflow, better than using Raw convertor in Photoshop. DXO has other benefits for certain types of photos.
on August 20, 2014