5.0 out of 5 stars My Personal Favourite Madonna Album!
Published on Feb. 14 2010 by Steph Feeney

3.0 out of 5 stars An Average Madonna Album That Hasn't Aged Well
Published on April 1 2012 by Kasey G

3.0 out of 5 stars An Average Madonna Album That Hasn't Aged Well, April 1 2012
Kasey G (Toronto, ON) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Bedtime Stories (Audio CD)
Listening to 1994's "Bedtime Stories" again after all these years, I've come to the realization this effort does not hold up as well as alot of her other work and has deservedly been relegated to a footnote in Madonna history. This despite the fact that it contains her most successful single ever. Though it topped the Billboard Hot 100 for 7 weeks in 1995, "Take a Bow" feels very manufactured and generic, like she and Babyface sat down to write a commercial, Adult Contemporary hit. The song is pleasant but innocuous and lacks PASSION. The vocal performance seems sterile unlike other ballads such as "In This Life", "Rain" and "Live To Tell"--even "Crazy For You" showed more emotion.

The remainder of the album contains listless tracks such as "I'd Rather Be Your Lover", "Inside of Me", "Forbidden Love", "Love Tried To Welcome Me", or hip-hop wannabe numbers that contain too much sampling. Madonna responds to the Sex/Erotica/Body of Evidence backlash in a couple of disparate tracks: the wistful opener "Survival" and angry, defensive "Human Nature" where she proclaims "I'm not your b**ch".

The incessant fuzzy 'n scratchy 'let's-make-it-sound-like-70s' sampling gets tiresome here and the only highlights are the hit single "Secret" which to me sounds like the perfect anthem for gay self-acceptance; the mid-tempo feel-good bopper "Don't Stop" which transcends sometimes silly lyrics; and the darker, experimental pairing of "Sanctuary" and "Bedtime Story". Had the album been built more around these two songs and Madonna tried a darker approach to her music, this would have been a more interesting project and may have aged better.

Unless you're a huge fan and want her entire back catalogue, the best songs here are available on a Greatest Hits package and you aren't missing much by leaving these boring stories in the past.

SURVIVAL 3/5

THREE-and-a-HALF STARS.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Personal Favourite Madonna Album!, Feb. 14 2010
Steph Feeney (The Shwa, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bedtime Stories (Audio CD)
'Bedtime Stories' came out in 1994, I was 4-years-old and still running around in pre-school and didn't know who Madonna was just yet. I officially became a fan of Madonna's in 2000 when she came out with her 'Music' album. I remember dragging my poor mother out to the now defunct record store 'Sam The Record Man'(a store here in Canada) on Boxing Day because my Aunt Becky had given me a gift certificate for Christmas. Of course I had heard songs like 'Like A Virgin', 'Frozen', 'Beautiful Stranger', 'True Blue' and her cover of 'American Pie' and many others.

Unfortunately, when I moved from Oshawa, Ontario to Courtice, Ontario six years ago my copy of the 'Music' album got lost in the move and for a while I just shrugged it off and didn't bother get a new copy until last summer.

My interest in Madonna made it's return about a year ago when I heard she was coming out with an album where she was working with Justin Timberlake and Timbaland because I had been a fan of their work. It really gave me a big kick in the butt to start my own personal Madonna collection so I started listening to sound bites on Amazon and much to my surprise with each album I previewed I realized that I had not only heard a lot of the songs before, but that I had liked them. I'd say I was still a fan of her's but not a real huge fanatic like I am now. Madonna to me at the time - [before I started running down her collection of albums to buy] was more half and half with her. There were songs of her's I heard and liked, but after purchasing her 'Music' album at the time I was young and just wasn't interested in Madonna as much as I was other artists at the time. But now, I can honestly say she is one of my top 10 favourite musicians, and I am glad that as I got older, I started to explore more of her work, and become more familiar with her work and appreciate her for the fabulous musician she really is and appreciate the cultural impact she has had on pop music and music in general. I guess it's a case of better late than never.

I now own six Madonna albums - Erotica, Bedtime Stories, Ray Of Light, Music, Confessions On A Dance Floor and Hard Candy. While I love every Madonna album I have purchased, 'Bedtime Stories' is the one that is the gem of my collection, the one that keeps me coming back for more. This is an R&B album and after the cold, bone chilling feel of Erotica, Madonna wanted to come back in a more softer setting after the whole SEX book and Erotica controversy, do something a little more friendly for the public. I think she also wanted to let people in a little bit because while there are some care-free, fun tracks there are also a lot of ballads filled with sadness.

I remember when I walked into the record store where I bought this album, and I was a little confused. I had seen the album cover on Amazon's website and seen that Madonna's picture was upside down, however when I got to the record store I was in (it was a used CD record store), I had found Bedtime Stories' cover with Madonna right side up. I remember saying to myself "what the f**k?" Did someone just bring this in the cover the other way around or what?" then later I found out that it had been a printing mistake, that the photo was initially suppose to be upside down but accidently released it right side up so they went ahead and re-released it upside down.

It was almost like Madonna wanted to come out with an album that had her put everything out on the table, all her emotions and what exactly she had gone threw because I had heard that in past interviews around the time of 'Bedtime Stories' release, Madonna had gone threw a hard time in her life and after listening to this album you can hear what she may have went threw.

It's not just the music I enjoy the most, it's also the cover and the blue tray. Madonna looks her best on the cover and the fact that the photographers used some sort of special lighting called Helvetica 25 Ultralight I think brings out the softer, more accessible side of Madonna she was striving for. It's very direct, it's almost like Madonna is laying in bed just waiting for you to come and join her, sit with her so she can tell you stories about love, longing, lust, having fun, secrets and jerky people.

The album opens with 'Survival' - which to me is Madonna showing her own version of 'girl power' so to speak. No matter how much people put you down whether it's talking trash about you behind your back, hurt you in some way or try to stand in your way that you can survive anything no matter what negative thing life throws at you. 'Survival' is followed by the slow groove 'Secret'. 'I'd Rather Be Your Lover' reminds me of Madonna's earlier days where she just sang silly, cheesy songs. The same formula is used in the next track, 'Don't Stop' where Madonna produces a simplistic, fun, care-free party song.

'Inside Of Me', I think is Madonna reaching into her past a little bit by letting out the emotions of losing her mother at a young age. The song reflects that despite the fact that someone close to you is gone, they are still alive inside your heart and even though they aren't there physically, they are spiritually. Up next is my personal favourite Madonna song of all time, 'Human Nature'. 'Human Nature' was a statement for Madonna because it saw her confronting her critics about how much torment they put her threw when she went threw the whole SEX book and Erotica stage of her career but she does it in a bit of a sarcastic sense and a bit of a 'oh, oops...did I do that' attitude, like she really didn't give a damn. I find Madonna fun when she's being bitchy, I don't know why but she's frickin' gold when she's being a b**ch in her songs.

That's why I absolutely love 'Human Nature' - while Madonna is being is being confrontational to the critics, she's also doing it in a sarcastic sense but also saying she's not sorry, she's no one puppet and people really need to just shut up and leave her alone. Also, that she will do what she wants, when she wants whether anyone likes it or not.

'Forbidden Love' sounds like it's about a love you know probably isn't right for you but you kind of want it anyway, like you can't resist the temptation.

'Love Tried To Welcome Me' is the most emotional and saddest song on the album, when you read the lyrics you can't help but sort of feel sorry and empathize with the context of the lyrics. A beautiful, emotional ballad from Madonna that sadly probably doesn't get much recognition.

'Santuary' is definitely a different ballad from the rest on the album because it has a completely different feel from the rest of the ballads, when you read the lyrics the track seems it is about how having each other is the most important thing in the world, like nothing else is important. I could be wrong, but that's just my opinion.The title track of the album 'Bedtime Story' stands out on it's own on the album because it is an electronica track written by Icelandic musician Bjork and saw Madonna giving a precursor or preview of what she would pursuit later on in the 90's for her album 'Ray Of Light'.

Finally, the album ends with the gorgeous ballad 'Take A Bow' - produced by Baby Face and probably one the biggest hits of her career because the song charted at number one for weeks. I think this song is what finally gave Madonna redemption from the critics and when I listen to this song it comes to me as you think you know someone and things between you and them are great, but then something happens like they hurt you in someway and eventually they show their true colours.

Sadly in these days 'Bedtime Stories' probably wouldn't be considered Madonna's biggest album of her career and that's too bad because it is a wonderful album. I also think depending on the situation, a lot of people can relate to a lot of the deep concepts within the context of the songs on here. That being said, if you're a Madonna fan or not yet a Madonna fan but are interested in becoming more familiar with some of Madonna's music, definitely give 'Bedtime Stories' a shot because it is a nice place to stop on the Madonna discography road.

Anyway, I'm done rambling on about Bedtime Stories' greatness because I had to retype this all up after my laptop went crazy on me last night just as I was finishing the original review so if this review seems a little crumby it's because I had to re-write and rethink every thought I had written in the original review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very soft mix, June 29 2008
This review is from: Bedtime Stories (Audio CD)
I liked this CD because it is a good compilation of her most soft pop songs. You will not really dance to this album except for 1-2 songs. The rest of the album is very mellow. You should listen at home & in your car!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best albums Madonna has ever released!!!!!, May 20 2006
V. Zvyagintsev "Ziggy" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bedtime Stories (Audio CD)
I'd say that amongst Madge's albums Bedtime Stories is my favourite. it saounds nothing short of amazing, each song is beautifully costructed and performed. And of course Secret, Take a Bow & Forbidden Love are the true highlights of the album and true classics, on which Madge's career was supposed to be based. Shame, that no more. Just pray God, that Madonna will read this review & realize, that her fans still love her, but not the music she's recently making. PLEASE, MADONNA, START MAKING THE MUSIC, YOU USED TO. I LOVE YOU SO MUCH, BUT YOU MUST REALIZE, THAT PAST IS SOMETIMES IS BETTER THAT PRESENT!!!!!
Overall, 2 thumbs up to this album!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great effort here, July 12 2004
This review is from: Bedtime Stories (Audio CD)
Perhaps the most underappreciated album in her catalogue, even more so than Erotica. This album is the last gasp of the true Madonna we all came to love before Kabbalah, electronica, and a new joy for preaching claimed her soul :p
Starts off with a catchy song named "Survival" in which she sings "I'll never be an angel, I'll never be a saint it's true, i'm to busy surviving, whether it's heaven or hell I'm gonna be living to tell" which basically sums up Madonna in a nutshell. It's followed by the fabulous "Secret" with it's warm vocals and infectious production, then gets into two mediocre songs "I'd Rather Be Your Lover" and "Don't Stop" before picking up again with "Inside Of Me." This song is supposedly about her mother but it never felt that way to me, either way it's good tune with sweeet lyrics. Next up is an instant classic, Maddy's kiss off to her critics during the Erotica era, "Human Nature," "Did I say something true, oops I didn't know I couldn't talk about you" she says in an obviously irritated tone that is the perfect response.
I could go on and discuss the remaining songs, which are all great, but now I wanna mention her voice. She sounds great on this album and it's obvious she worked real hard in the studio to pull off the tuneful and varied sounds she uses to color her vocal.
All in all this was an excellent contribution to her discography and better than some of her later work.

5.0 out of 5 stars madonna's BEST work ever, July 5 2004
Natacha P (Bay Area, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bedtime Stories (Audio CD)
well i'd have to say that this is my favorite madonna cd ever. i feel that this cd is very diverse, making it a pleasurable listen throughout. the cd starts off with more dancey-like tracks such as "i'd rather be your lover" and "don't stop" and moves on to slower ballads including "inside of me" and "forbidden love"... this cd just has it all! just when you think madonna is all in love and "missing that special someone", well you are greeted with the famous "human nature" a track that does not fail to show yet another side of madonna; that of an outspoken strong woman... you can feel r&b influences [thanks to many contributions with babyface] as well as pop, but this cd also has the amazing track "bedtime story" with its techno-ambient feel [bjork being one of the co-writers of the song...mmm makes sense?] this track is arguably one of the most "different" type of song madonna had ever done at that point in her career ["ray of light" is another story]...
all in all i think that anyone who enjoys a true good mix of music all in one cd will enjoy this work to the fullest! whatever be your mood, pop this in and enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Her Greatest Story Yet, June 21 2004
Myles Q. Davis (USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bedtime Stories (Audio CD)
It was not until I bought Bedtime Stories a few weeks ago that I realized that this is Madonna's most consistent and pleasing album ever. This might be because I am a rabid fan of r&b music, and to date, this is Madonna's most r&b album ever. The album is entirely pleasing because Madonna employed hitmakers like Babyface and Dallas Austin, both of which are r&b producing megaforces. The latter two succeed in giving Madonna warm, sensuous grooves. Madonna's vocals shimmer on tracks like Survival, with it's new jill swing influences and lush harmonies, and Secret with hits pulsing beats and Madonna's shimmering vocals.
Madonna turns the ballad 'Love Tried to Welcome Me' into a confessional poem of sorts when she declares: 'Love tried to welcome me/But my soul drew back/ Covered with dust and sin...' Every track is a winner on Bedtime Stories. Human Nature, with its hard driving beats and Madonna's biting lyrics, add another dimension to an already superb album.
Madonna closes this excellent album with 'Take a Bow,' a haunting and tender ballad fleshed with bittersweet lyrics. This indeed is among Madonna's best work ever. A must have for even casual listeners.

5.0 out of 5 stars Madonna Rules!, June 18 2004
This review is from: Bedtime Stories (Audio CD)
Madonna always the best singer ever because she is not afraid to hide and of who she is. Those songs makes her express her feelings to this CD. Very BEST CD ever. It could be hard for you to choose which is your 1st favorite CD of Madonna but I think this CD is the best one for me. As for Human Nature is the most express feelings for her to sing and her video of Human Nature kick butt! Very good job, Madonna! Keep up the hard work!

4.0 out of 5 stars BEDTIME BUT NOT SLEEPING, June 9 2004
This review is from: Bedtime Stories (Audio CD)
Bedtime Stories is another amazing album by Madonna! With a more r&b feel to it, each song has a cool style, both sexy,and upbeat.
Survival - nice song, not most popular, but fun to listen to.4/5
Secret - most popular from this cd. Real R&B, guitars and everything! 5/5
I'd rather be your lover - ok song, better after listening to it overtime. Good bass 5/5
Inside of me - sexy song, good bass again 5/5
Don't stop - repetitive, but pretty good song 3/5
Human Nature - well- known song, brings out a lot of r&b 4/5
Forbidden love - really a beautiful song, slower than others 4/5
Love tried to welcome me - slow, but nice. A pretty song. Have to listen to it and give it a chance 4/5
Sanctuary - slow, butvery sexy song, different from other songs 5/5
Bedtime Stories - great song! fabulous video! Bjork wrote it I believe, if u can imagine what the style of the song is 5/5
Take a bow - slow but really pretty song - Baby face sings in it too 4/5

5.0 out of 5 stars This Madonna CD is the way time best, June 6 2004
anonymous (seattle , wa, usa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bedtime Stories (Audio CD)
This Cd is the best. Thats all I have to say. I have no words on how great this CD is.

ARRAY(0xa8fda7e0)

Bedtime Stories (Lp)
Bedtime Stories (Lp) by Madonna (LP Record - 2012)
Click for more info