5.0 out of 5 stars Best Little Black Box
Constantly adding more channels to their store line up
Have recommended...
Published on Aug. 6 2012 by Steven Jackson

3.0 out of 5 stars Roku In Canada
Depending on what you want to use this box for, its either a deal maker, or a deal breaker

Published on May 3 2012 by Dylan Chernick

3.0 out of 5 stars Roku In Canada, May 3 2012
This review is from: Roku 2 XD Streaming Player - Canadian Version (Electronics)

Netflix: This box is great for netflix. Its easy to setup and install to your TV for users of all tech abilities. All you do is input the HDMI cord to your TV or receiver. If you TV does not accept audio over HDMI, just hook up a simple Male to Male audio cord and Roku will send audio over it. Once set up and connected to the wireless network, just head on over to the channel store, click and download netflix, enter your username and your ready to go!! Roku streams up to 1080p. Here's where it gets interesting. 1080p streams are very data intensive and needs an excellent wireless signal to achieve. In my short experience with Roku 1080p streams were constantly skipping and rebuffering in the middle of movies, making for an unpleasant experience. What you can do to remedy this situation is to go into settings and reduce the quality of the stream to 720p/i. Although this will reduce the onscreen quality, it will making movies stream without any "rebuffering" in the middle.

Cable Replacement: In my experience so far, Roku is a far cry away from a cable replacement. Most channels that american rave about are not "available in your geographical location" Even CBC, a Canadian channel, is not available in Canada. This is infuriating and unacceptable for this type of product. Although it is in the first month of being available in Canada, its understandable that canadian based channels have yet to come out. Hopefully in the coming months, more channels will be created for canadians to watch free tv through the internet. As of today, there are maybe 10 channels in the Roku marketplace, and even fewer that you can get through "private channels."

Plex: Plex is a private channel that allows you to stream any content on your laptop/home pc/home shared network folder to your Roku. This is the single most important channel out there. Although it means that your computer needs to be on, it allows you to stream any content from it (you need to install plex media server). It also pulls in ratings and info about each individual show/movie right to your roku box so you have up to date show information, cover artwork, and ratings. (a cool feature that makes the experience more enjoyable).

Wrap up: Everything considered, if you are going to use this as a netflix box, then this is a great choice. Although you should consider the Apple TV, which is a little more money, but a better user interface. Its small, easy to set up, and connects through HDMI or a "red white yellow" connection. If you want to use this as a replacement for Cable, this this is a terrible product. I would reccommend Boxee Box, although double the price, automatically pulls "shows" from the Canadian broadcast networks. If you are an avid torrenter for your shows and movies, then Plex works very well and I would recommend Roku.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Little Black Box, Aug. 6 2012
Just awesome
Extremely easy to set up
Wireless reception strength great my router is 20-30ft away
I know many of the new bluray dvd players can steam netflix but the
roku has so much more choice including games
Roku store has so many channels some cost most are free
Constantly adding more channels to their store line up
Have recommended the Roku to many friends and family
I suggest having a good data plan with your internet service
provider because your internet usage will increase substantially
once you have the roku
Have owned the roku now for 2 months no problems
Again just awesome

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product. So easy to set up., April 24 2012
Wow. How cool is that? I am the first to review the Canadian Roku. Ordered mine the day it was announced. They said delivery would be on April 30th, yet I received it yesterday, April 23rd.
After reviewing various streaming devices, the reason I chose Roku is that : #1 it is wireless, and #2 it connects out of the box to a non-HD TV.
Connected to a TV in my basement, and the wireless router is on second floor, yet signal is perfectly fine.
Took me all of 5 minutes, no kidding, 5 minutes or less, to hook up and get it connected. in fact, it took me longer to take off all the plastic packaging than it did to connect the device and get it working.
Very nice design, simple to use remote. Was immediately streaming Netflix, and accessing my Rdio account. Exactly what I wanted.
Couldn't be happier.

5.0 out of 5 stars Roku, June 10 2012
Simple to set up and works extremely well. Very satisfied with purchase and highky recommend to others looking for a simple video streaming device

5.0 out of 5 stars Been an Amazon customer for 10 years and this is my first review....., March 3 2013
By far the best $100 I have ever spent. I used to connect my laptop to my T.V through two cables to stream video content from Netflix and my media library and now I have everything at my fingertips without moving and can surf the internet on my laptop whilst I watch a show on my Roku box. I have 20mb broadband and stream everything in 1080 HD quality without ever buffering. I have added a load of private channels that are not advertised through Roku and I now rarely find myself needing to watch cable T.V. Set up initially to my dlink router took a little while, having to attempt a connection over a dozen times and a couple of resets of the modem but eventually it connected and over the last month have not had any issues. The remote that comes with it feels solid and has a nifty Netflix quick link button, and if it is ever not at hand I have the Roku remote app on my iphone which is very handy and more convenient to use for filling out subscriptions and log in details as it has a full keyboard function. I honestly cant recommend this product enough, I think I may buy another for the bedroom!

5.0 out of 5 stars i love it!, Nov. 21 2012
its a great product and for the price it better! better then my apple tv! i used more the my apple tv, the queality its amazing! so easy to used!

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite pleased., June 4 2012
I got more than I expected when I purchased my roku streamer to play movies and TV shows from Netflix. I highly recomment it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, easy, a great product., Jan. 10 2013
I bought this for my non-technical mother, so I was looking for something simple and easy to set up. This product is both. It's wireless, so there are a minimum of cables - one for power, one for A/V. It turned on and connected to our wireless router seamlessly. Channel navigation (e.g. Netflix, Crackle) is simple and intuitive with the Roku remote. Had it for about a month now with no problems.

5.0 out of 5 stars Roku with Tamil Channels, May 5 2012
I recently purchased this to watch Tamil Channels on my TV. My parents are not the best when it comes to technology and needed an easy platform to watch their Tamil Channels which did not involve forking over a $100 to Rogers. It was very easy to install. I purchased Tamil Channels form Channellive.tv and now everything works amazing. It does eat up a decent amount of bandwidth so I suggest switching to Teksavvy or another ISP with unlimited usage. Crackle, TED, CrunchyRoll are some of my favourite channels right now. More are being added everyday. Absolutely great product. Wished it had come to Canada sooner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent with PLEX, Aug. 29 2013
I use this roku with PLEX (plexapp.com) to stream my own collection of movies and tv shows on the tv.

There are also tons of chanels to choose from, either roku channels or Plex channels.

Combine it with an ipad and the Plex app and you can touch a film on the ipad and play it on the tv.

It wasn't as easy to setup - I had to create a DMZ rule in my router in order for the roku to bypass the router's firewall.

But once configured, wow.

Roku 2 XD Streaming Player - Canadian Version