biss Up to 40% Off CBC's Canada Reads 2016 Shortlist boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage snsflyour Furniture All-New Kindle Paperwhite Own the 2016 GRAMMY Nominee Album featuring the Biggest Hits from Music's Biggest Night s Tools ca_ty_gno

on January 31, 2016
Good
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 12, 2015
This was pretty good. I like the story and style of the first and second movie but this was had a really great cast and was a bit funnier than the rest.
on November 2, 2015
First, a technical gripe: The only English soundtrack on the Blu-ray disk is 7.1 true HD which our ten year old brilliant AV amp. could not interpret so it defaulted to ProLogic II - Grrr. Every other Blu-ray disk we've played has been decoded as DTS which is splendid so I sincerely hope that this is not a sign of things to come. This feature was so annoying that we watched the DVD version instead which gave us good old Dolby Digital 5.1 sound. UPDATE : Having encountered the same problem with another Blu-ray disk I tinkered about with the audio settings on the player (changing from `DTS re-encode' to `primary pass-through') whereupon the amp gave us DTS - Splendid! Apologies to Paramount...

Now, to the film. All of the MI films so far have been a more than a little tongue-in-cheek but they have delivered all-out action at a relentless pace within a taut plot; it doesn't usually do to think too much and the gadgets are universally silly but the films are always hugely entertaining. This film, however, despite the inclusion of J.J. Abrams in the production (but, significantly, not direction) credits is a serious let-down. There are lots of excellent action set-pieces and stunts/CGI (not that you can really tell the difference these days) but the plot is so linear and weak that it completely fails to provide the essential cohesion between the action sequences. The script is similarly lack-lustre, Tom looks tired & bored much of the time and Simon Pegg as the geeky side-kick is a total failure; he made a good `young Scotty' in the excellent Star Trek prequel but his brand of child-like pratishness is completely wrong for a major role in an action movie. These failings and the bizarre choice of a director best known for cartoons make for a sad & dismal end (hopefully) to the MI franchise.
on October 24, 2015
Good thriller like the other films, with more good stunts ...
on October 18, 2015
All the MI movies are great
on August 27, 2015
Allot better than the first three. The first one seemed, low budget. The second one is by far the worst, and the fifth ( Rouge Nation) is the best.
on August 26, 2015
This is probably, and by far, the best movie of the first 4. It is great fun and a lot closer to the mood of the original series (including the opening credits). Blu-ray and DVD disks are included (although I wonder why, since I would rather buy one or the other) and also a digital copy (again, I don't know what for). I don't think I am ever going to watch this movie on my iPad. This is large scale and needs to be watched on a relatively big screen. As expected, the Blu-Ray copy is very clear and sharp with no problems I can detect. I haven't had this much fun watching a movie in some time. This is what an action movie should be like.
on August 18, 2015
Très bon film à un très bon prix. Je vous recommande ce film.
on August 18, 2015
Terrific stunts and action, but some of it was a bit more off-the-wall and far-fetched than I expected, even while keeping an open mind. In a few places I actually rolled my eyes. But despite it all, it was a great way to kill a couple of hours, and I don't feel like I was cheated in any way.
on June 11, 2015