4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Box, Bad Disc, But There's Hope
The box itself is amazing! There are lots of compartments holding the various discs & items. The two small comparments could have been used more efficiently though. For example, some exclusive pins or a replica of the time turner could have been included. It's not as if there wasn't any room left in these compartments.

Most of the discs are fine, except for...
Published on Sept. 9 2012 by Pierre J. Meunier

2.0 out of 5 stars Great set but wrong Philosopher's Stone disc.
EDIT FOR SEPTEMBER 25th, 2012
Good news! Warner Canada is fixing the issue and the correct disc will be made available.
Contact customer service at warnerbros.com
ORIGINAL REVIEW: I received my set last week. This set is heavy and I was a bit worried about potential damage during shipping. But it is really well packed and arrived in perfect condition...
Published on Sept. 18 2012 by JPF

2.0 out of 5 stars Great set but wrong Philosopher's Stone disc., Sept. 18 2012
JPF (BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Harry Potter Wizards Collection [Blu-ray + DVD Combo + Digital Copy] (Blu-ray)
EDIT FOR SEPTEMBER 25th, 2012
Contact customer service at warnerbros.com
The set itself is beautifull. The quality of the materials used for this, is way above average. I was not expecting this type of quality. It is sturdy and well built.

But like the other reviewers, the blu-ray disc of The Philosopher's Stone is the wrong version. The specs and, the description on the packaging, says that it should contain the Theatrical and Extended versions of the movie as well as the Picture-in-Picture experience. It only has the Theatrical version.

From what I read on various forums, it appears that all Canadian sets are affected.
What is the most frustrating thing about this is that Amazon and Warner bros have not acknowledged this problem.
I contacted Warner Bros twice via email and called their Toronto office as well. They never replied to my emails and my phone call was never returned.
And as for Amazon, after three attempts to get them to acknowledge that there is problem with the sets, the only solution they provided me was to return the set for a full refund. That doesn't solve the problem.
Come on Amazon, help us out on this issue!

So buyer beware. Until this issue is resolved I would hesitate to buy this set.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Box, Bad Disc, But There's Hope, Sept. 9 2012

Most of the discs are fine, except for The Philosopher's Stone. The first disc, which is supposed to have the theatrical AND extended versions of the movie, ONLY HAS THE THEATRICAL VERSION. Also, instead of a digital copy disc of The Philosopher's Stone/The Chamber of Secrets, my set had 2 copies of The Prisoner of Azkaban/The Goblet of Fire.

These disc issues have tarnished my enjoyment of this set. I have the extended version on DVD (from the UCE set), but that's not the point. It was supposed to be included in this set, and it's not. For the price I paid, I expect all the discs to be present and to have the content as advertised.

*** UPDATE - Sep 25, 2012 ***

I received a replacement set from Amazon with all of the correct digital copy discs.

As for the first disc of The Philosopher's Stone which only has the theatrical version...there IS hope. Warners has acknowledged that there IS an issue and are working on creating new discs. Contact Heather.Borg@warnerbros.com for details on how to receive a new disc.

All in all, this box set is pretty amazing. It's just annoying that there were issues with the discs.

*** UPDATE - Oct 26, 2012 ***

I received a replacement disc from Warner Brothers for The Philosopher's Stone. This new disc has BOTH versions of the movie, plus the In-Movie experience.

If you've purchased this set and disc 1 of The Philosopher's Stone only has the theatrical version, just send an e-mail to the address mentioned above, and you should get a replacement disc within a month or so.

All is right with the world again...

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice set if you don't own the Ultimate Editions - CHECK YOUR PHILOSOPHER'S STONE DISCS, Sept. 18 2012
Pong (Winnipeg, MB) - See all my reviews
EDIT FOR OCT 29, 2012: After more than a month, the replacement disc for the Philosopher's Stone has finally arrived from Warner Bros Canada, and I have verified it to be the corrected disc. Updated my star rating to reflect my feelings about the set (as mentioned in my original review). This is a nice set to have if you have not purchased the Ultimate Editions individually, but if you have, your mileage may vary depending on how much you value the trinkets included in this edition (including the final bonus disc which may or may not be released by Warner Bros in a separate edition someday).

--------------

EDIT FOR SEPT 26, 2012: After a long wait from WB Canada, they have finally acknowledged the problem, and have given an email address to contact. Email Heather.Borg@warnerbros.com with your name and mailing address to have your replacement disc sent to you. I will update this review one more time once I have received the replacement disc and verified the content.

--------------

ORIGINAL REVIEW: I received the set last week, and the set itself is really huge (and packaged well by Amazon). The set is indeed pricey, but a bit reasonable if you did not own any of the Extended Editions (which I didn't).

Normally, I would probably give this 4 out of 5 stars (I would deduct one star, because only the first two movies have Extended editions and I could have lived without any of the Feature film DVDs included in the set if it could have helped bring down cost a little bit).

The reason I am giving this ONE STAR only is to alert anyone who would read the reviews with the problem with the Philosopher's Stone movie Blu-ray, where it does not contain the Extended Edition and PIP content as advertised, but is really just the original Theatrical edition Blu-ray with a different label slapped in.

I tried contacting Warner Bros Canada about this, but WB Canada's email and phone number isn't really that easily accessible online. I was actually finally able to find a Toronto office number online: 416-250-8385 after searching through different message boards. I emailed WB US and WB UK (like I said, can't find an email address for WB Canada), but still have not received any sort of response after a week, even just to acknowledge my email.

I emailed Amazon.ca just to see if they can help at least with providing contact info, since they work closely with their distributors, but only got this canned response:

"Hello,

I apologize for any inconvenience caused.

In my experience, the quickest way to have this issue resolved is to contact the studio directly for missing Extended edition.

Many studios list their contact information online. You might want to try doing a web search to find Warner Home Video's phone number or website.

If you've contacted the studios and they can't help, please send us a summary of that correspondence and we'll work on another solution."

Gee, thanks. Like I said, it's not like I didn't try already, and right now, I can't even send a summary of the correspondence with the studio since they won't respond to me at all.

Amazon.com (US) and Amazon.co.uk have already put a hold on selling these items because of complaints from customers (UK and Australian customers are even more screwed than Canadian customers because of the sheer number of errors on their sets), but I see that Amazon.ca is still selling this as of Sept 18, 2012.

Warner Bros quality control really dropped the ball on this high-profile release.

My certificate number is around 23000+ out of 63000. If your set is in the same range and you purchased it in Canada, I would strongly suggest that you check your Philosopher's Stone movie Blu-ray if you are having the same problems as I am (and a number of other people, from what I've read in other discussion forums).

P.S. I have also read from other forums who wrote to Amazon.ca that their solution to this problem is to ship this 25 lb monster back to them. Seriously? That's your solution? One defective disc, and send you back a limited, numbered set?

4.0 out of 5 stars Ultimate Harry Potter Collection, Sept. 12 2012
I'll start by saying that I am quite satisfied with this purchase now that I have it; I was pretty hesitant to spend so much before. It has loads of bonus goodies, all 31 discs as promised ("Exclusive Bonus Disc" is tough to find, but it's in there), but read further to get the details about the issues with the Philosopher's Stone Blu-Ray (for which I deduct one star from my rating)...

SIZE -- This box was much bigger than the pictures online made it look, to me at least. It's about a foot tall and weighs roughly 20 lbs, so it's going to take some creativity to display it in my living room, as it definitely won't fit on the DVD shelf.

# OF DISCS -- Most of the movies come with 4 discs each (Blu-Ray, DVD, special features, Creating HP special), except for the Goblet of Fire and Order of the Phoenix which have 3 discs (leaving out special features) for a total of 30 discs. The box advertises 31 discs, and it took some hunting through this box to find the elusive "Exclusive Bonus Disc". Reach in to the very back wall, where there is a hidden tile that you can remove, and it's tucked in back there. There are also 4 discs for the digital copies (2 movies per disc) that are not included in the count.

ISSUES -- One problem that has already been pointed out by other reviewers is that the Blu-Ray for Philosopher's Stone is supposed to contain the extended edition of the movie, but it does not. I assume that there must have been some error in the production of the discs, and I will be writing a sternly worded letter/e-mail to Warner Brothers in attempt to get what was advertised. Personally, I'm not really all that concerned... It's an extra 7 minutes of film that I can probably live without, but the disc is also supposed to have a fancy "In-Movie Experience" with interactivity, picture-in-picture, storyboard comparisons, and stills galleries. This feature seems to be disabled as well. These features are also advertised for the Chamber of Secrets, and that disc seems to work fine.

GOODIES -- Extra stuff in the box: In the smallest "click to open" drawer, the scroll with the codes to activate the digital copies. In the other one is the Slytherin's Locket horcrux. There is a hidden flap at the top of the box, behind the first movie, that houses the "Catalogue of Artefacts" book, a canvas map of the Hogwarts grounds (I might iron this out and hang it on a wall; it's really cool), and a blueprint poster of Hogwarts. In the thin drawers you can find a colour book of the "Label Collection", an envelope including five postcard size black-and-white Stuart Craig sketches, a numbered certificate of authenticity (out of 63,000) and eight 8.5x11 prints, one for each movie (they are beautiful). **I hope I'm not missing anything**

PRICE -- I preordered this in March 2012, so I am entitled to the Pre-Order Price Guarantee, and I did see the price dip as low as $280 over the summer, but I was charged the $300 that was the price on its release date, so I expect Amazon will be crediting me the extra $20 in the coming weeks. They are usually pretty good for that. I notice that now that the release date has passed, the price has jumped to $350, but I saw it at Costco yesterday for $300, so I would suggest it might be worth shopping around if you didn't get in on the release date price here.

2.0 out of 5 stars I feel misled and am disappointed, Sept. 14 2012
DoctorJ (Alberta, Canada) - See all my reviews
We bought this, thinking we were getting the definitive Harry Potter set. We put in the first blu-ray for the first movie and found that we did not have the extended version or the in-movie experiences as promised and advertised. Yes, the box is nice, but we actually bought this for the movie material, not the box. I am very disappointed and would not recommend this set as a result.

4.0 out of 5 stars Stunning set of discs fitting of the most famous wizard around, Nov. 15 2013
- Update Dec. 8, 2013 -

I contacted Warner Brothers through their US site (the Canadian one is fairly useless) here: [...]
After a while (about two weeks), I guess it eventually filtered its way to Canadian HQ in Toronto where someone eventually got back to me. From there, it was a quick email back and forth to get an address for where they could send the correct disc.

Easy enough, but a step that shouldn't have been necessary in the first place. But at least my HP Wizards Collection is now complete!

- Original Review -

When it comes down to the look, finish and build quality, it all boils down to: they aren't kidding around. Stunning and extremely hefty, WB has managed to put together the definitive Harry Potter collection (*one caveat, below). The box itself is a tribute to the mystery and magical aura of Hogwarts.

Each "Year" (film) is stored in its own custom booklet with awesome attention to detail. And the extras (digital copy, horcrux locket, maps, blueprints, books) are appreciated - although there was the potential for even more to be done.

The regular price is very steep, but if you can catch the right sale, it's definitely worth a bit of a splurge.

* The caveat is that even after so much time has gone by, and after so many sets and customer complaints (even here on Amazon.ca), WB still has not yet corrected the problem identified by other customers: Disc 1 of The Philosopher's Stone is supposed to be the Extended Edition + Theatrical Release + Bonus material. However, like those other people, I received only the Theatrical + bonus (and a poorly designed menu to boot). This is rather disappointing and enough to knock a star off the rating. I'm waiting for WB to respond to my query about having this situation rectified.

4.0 out of 5 stars Harry Potter Wizards Collection [Blu-ray + DVD Combo + Digital Copy], Nov. 11 2013
Wonderful presentation!! Any Harry Potter collector's dream collection. Just one problem though. Wrong disc 1 which is the only flaw with this collection. Amazon could not replace the disc but they did offer me a discount. Luckily though, I was able to get a replacement disc from Warner Brothers Canada shipped to me. Now I have the complete set and could not be happier! Highly recommended only if you have the correct discs.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great box, very good collection of DVDs, Nov. 7 2013
I bought this as a gift for my wife who is an avid Harry Potter fan. She loved it. The box is pretty heavy, and the build is very good. Any Harry Potter fan would love it.

I read some of the reviews where some mentioned about the 7th and the 8th version of the movies being sold as "ultimate collector editions" in the market, but the ones in the box are not those ones. So that was a slight disappointment.

Overall, I am very pleased with the product, as well as the collectibles inside.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of Harry Potter stuff inside..., Nov. 4 2013
I bought this collection, expecting it to be just a boxed set with DVDs with extras. Instead, it is a huge (10 1/2" x 11 1/2" x 13") chest, with drawers and compartments, including a secret compartment with a hidden bonus DVD. This is a limited numbered collection, with the numbered certificate, and a small scroll like paper with the digital download registration numbers, a horcrux, art prints of the scenes, sketches of some buildings, a fabric, hangable map or Hogwart's school and grounds, and many more collectibles. Each year includes a DVD, Blu-ray, and 2 more discs of extras. And the last 2 movies include the 3-D version of the movie.
(Hint: the hidden bonus disc can be located by fully spreading the drawers to each side, and reaching in the space to feel for a fabric tag to pull it out. I hunted high and low for it and found it by accident when I wasn't even looking for it.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, Nov. 4 2013
I had been wanting this for so long. I love it and had all the extras I wanted. It is amazing!

Harry Potter Wizards Collection [Blu-ray + DVD Combo + Digital Copy]