5.0 out of 5 stars Nettalk wifi purchases from invise-canada
Published on June 9 2012 by Pen Name

Problems from the start with this product.
Does not recognize some numbers in Canada (ie Panagopolis Pizza) for a starter. You could not call them at all on this module. Dropped calls after 5 to 6 minutes. Then cannot call out for about 3 minutes as it licks it wounds and pouts. Sound level would drop, and you would have to hang up and call the people back...
Published 18 months ago by oldmanwinter

1.0 out of 5 stars Brutal....Customer support horrible Do not recommend to anyone, May 2 2013
oldmanwinter (alberta canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: NetTalk DUO WiFi (Personal Computers)
Problems from the start with this product.
Hooked up direct to my router, and not supposed to worry about it. Surprise....it powered off at least 4 times a week, and had to be reset by pulling the power plug out of the wall, and plugging it back in. Sometimes took up to 30 mins to get it to work again.
Called customer service and was place on hold, on 3 consecutive days,for approx 1 hour and 30 mins each time. The 4th time I got thru after 1 hour and 50 mins, and the service guy got upset when I questioned the length of time I was on hold, and hung up the phone on me and disconnected. Also customer service is only open 6 hours a day....good luck getting thru. Finally got a supervisor there (do not know how...I must have slipped thru a crack) and she helped me to some extent. Had to reprogram the module, which was done, and, in spite of this, it kept powering off by itself. I kept asking for a replacement...and kept getting refused. By this time, I had spent almost 13 hours over 3 week trying to get it working. 4 days ago it gave up the ghost and will not power on...today they agreed to replace it. But, I have to send the module back to them before they will replace it. And send it at my cost. Great customer service.
Oh..wait. The piece de resistance has yet to come. About 3 weeks ago, it appears that nettalk got into a contest with their carrier, and for whatever reason had to go elsewhere. And since that time, nobody has been able to call in, nor make 9/11 calls. And until about 3 days ago...they sort of did not mention it to anyone, although they are in the damage control process now. Now, in order to fix it, they have to give me a new number. Great. I shall notify all 148 people who have my number.
Ok...enough. Suffice to say that I will never buy another nettalk. Have switched back to magic jack, called their customer service today, and got thru in 3 minutes. Problem rectivied in 30 seconds. Final recommendation....do not buy this unit at the present time. Not worth your money in spite of all the propaganda they push at you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nettalk wifi purchases from invise-canada, June 9 2012
This review is from: NetTalk DUO WiFi (Personal Computers)
This unit is phenomenal. Little effort is needed to set it to work on wifi. All you need is wifi name (hidden networks will not be picked up) your wifi pass code. It will also work 100percent on a cellular hotspot. Call quality is great. Voicemail, caller Id, call waiting. Cost is 39.99 $ a year. First year included in purchase. Unlimited calling US and Canada. Voicemails can b downloaded and saved as wav files. Over all 10 out of 10

2.0 out of 5 stars Crappy Device - Regret, Sept. 7 2013
This review is from: NetTalk DUO WiFi (Personal Computers)
One of the worst purchase in my life...

I was foolish enough to put my net talk # on my Resume... I am glad I corrected it on time.

Writing this review after struggling with it for 5-6 months

I can bet that most people left 5 star reviews within 1-2 weeks of using this device.

Set up

It's relative easy.. took me 45-50 min.

My experience

1) Device worked fine for first few weeks
2) Called Nettalk service waited 80-90 min only to get hung up by the operator or call disconnected
3) Online chat never responds, online email support queries never got answered.
4) Took while to move my number and BELL or Rogers will DOEST NOT support number transfer from netalk
5) Pone rings occasionally and calls get directed to voicemail

My suggestion for other buyers

Only buy if you want to confirm what I wrote or if you have nothing to do with your $75/-

My conclusion

This device is not reliable for regular use,
Don't use it for regular home line, office line, customers or any other purpose which is critical for you.

1.0 out of 5 stars Before buying call support. See what waits for you., June 30 2013
This review is from: NetTalk DUO WiFi (Personal Computers)
NETTALK is a nightmare. Stay away. You can not rely on the service. Late April the service was interrupted for more than 1 month for thousands of customers in Canada and they offered 6 months free service to compensate after changing the phone numbers. Less than 1 month later does not work anymore. Customer Service does not pick up the phone. Only answers I got when I e-mail them are the automatic ones acknowledging that they received the e-mail and they will contact you. Unfortunately I renewed the service for one year just before the the recent interruption and lost my money. Tried MANY times to call the Customer Service and Technical Support numbers and kept waiting for more than 1 hour each time and I gave up without taking to anyone. And by the way the support number is not a free number: YOU PAY THE LONG DISTANCE CALL and they keep you waiting for hours. And by the way lately (since 10 days ago or so) the device itself looks like is not working anymore after around one year of usage. If you don't believe me try their support numbers and customer service numbers before buying it. One week ago I decided to give up on them and bought an OOMA. Before buying the OOMA I called their support number and someone picked up immediately. It is a little bit more expensive but at least you have the service.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not so simple setup as advertised., Feb. 27 2013
This review is from: NetTalk DUO WiFi (Personal Computers)
Finally get this setup and working properly. At the very beginning, I kept getting red light every two hours or so. You have to unplug the unit and reset it, which is a nuisance. I contacted Tech support; they did response to my ticket. However, the suggestion did not resolve my problem. I found a suggestion posted on Amazon.com reviews. By enabling a static IP address for my Nettalk device, I was able to get rid of the red light problem. Now, I have the unit on for two days without any issues. When it works, it works great. I have also applied to have my second phone number ported. If you are willing to invest your time to get this unit to work, given the good savings, it is still considered a buy. Final warning, calling support is close to impossibility,expect long wait. Good luck.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother, Nov. 17 2013
This review is from: NetTalk DUO WiFi (Personal Computers)
Every so often Nettalk will go off line, for a day or two. In 2013 Canadian customers were cut off for 2 months, and when Nettalk came back we had lost all our phone numbers and were allocated new ones. I wish I had not gone down the Nettalk route as they are too unreliable. Their customer support DOES NOT EXIST: there is no telephone support, no on-line chat, no reply to email. Bad, bad, bad.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exclenet Item, July 20 2012
This review is from: NetTalk DUO WiFi (Personal Computers)
This item is excellent works perfectly... i sent it to asia and it work excelent...

Came with excellent timed shipping and condition... was in original box and with all the documents.

1.0 out of 5 stars I should have gone with either Magic Jack or Ooma., Oct. 11 2014
Purchsed Oct 8, delivered Oct 10 (free delivery chosen), this review Oct 11

The only thing that has gone smooth was the purchase and delivery from Amazon. That was the easy part.

netTalk has been anything but smooth. Registering the device with them was painfully slow. Their website would time out many times over. I had to finish the registration through account editing. Once I was registered and had my phone number......still nothing. I couldn't receive or make calls. I waited about 2 hours and I was able to receive calls. Outgoing calls kept getting the recorded message of "The number you are trying to reach is currently unavailable".

I waited the night out and tried again. Once again with the message. I reached out to them through Facebook...

Me - " Hi, I received my Duo on Friday. In coming calls seem to work fine but I cannot make any out going calls. When I try making outgoing calls, I hear a recorded message says "The number you are trying is currently unavailable". Can you help me?"
netTalk - "Are you located in Canada? If so, We are currently looking into & will fix the issue where some customers may have trouble dialing landline #'s in Canada. Update coming. Sorry for the inconvenience!"
Me - "yes, I live in Canada"
netTalk - "We are currently working on fixing this issue. Pls keep an eye on our social media posts. We will update you for more info."
Me - "How long has this "known issue" been happening? Am I looking at being able to make an out going call this week? Some people have said that they were issued a new number and that worked for them. Not feeling so confident now in my purchase."
netTalk - "Related departments are working hard on fixing this issue. As soon as we have an update, we will post it on social media. Thanks!"

Just for giggles, I tried my Google voice number and it worked. So outgoing calls work to the States but not in Canada.

If you are going to be foolish enough to try this company out, try something first. Goto Facebook and message the netTalk page saying that you live in Canada and cannot make out going calls. If you get the response as listed above, do not proceed with your purchase.

***UPDATE***

I've started the process to return the device. Digging further into netTalk finds that there were 374 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 155 closed in last 12 months. Also, on June 19, 2013, NETTALK.COM's BBB accredited was revoked.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nettalk works well in canada /Quebec area code, Feb. 5 2013
This review is from: NetTalk DUO WiFi (Personal Computers)
well first hade 1 problems red light on the device came steedy red all most evry day ,had to reset it for it to work , i said to my self hum!Pepeol on the net some say its working some not with all kind of problem, well, ill give it a chance before returning the device back for a refund.so i went to NETTALK web page [...] and did what they say on seting the router ,mine is linksys cisco wrt120n, and woking Fine ,and NO more problem. one other thing when you make a call allways take the time to make shure you have a Dial tone befor dialing outher wise it will sound like a busy call,allso ther is canadian regen AREA CODE even for quebec city and you Can! tranfer your land line number to nettalk allso for a fee.for canadian go here : [...]
i planing to do so at the end this week dead line for my return 15day full refund. i have videotron hi speed cable conetion with a 2meg up 20megdown a ping of 20 use
[...]to test your internet speed .for what i read on the costemer service well did'n have to do so ,ther is allmost all the anser to many problem and how two set it up ,and what it does. [...]
ONE important thing is for CANADIAN you have to go on ther canadian web site:[...]

4.0 out of 5 stars Cheap. portable. easy to instal. no hidden fees, Aug. 2 2014
This review is from: NetTalk DUO WiFi (Personal Computers)
Unlike traditional home phones you can take nettalk anywhere as long as you have wifi. Installation was pretty straight forward for me so I never had to deal with customer support (which everyone seem to complain about). I have a decent internet connection and the sound quality is great. I had few disconnections (green light will turn red) which is easily fixed by unplugging and replugging the device.

NetTalk DUO WiFi