5.0 out of 5 stars They've improved the Kindle!
Published 18 months ago by Dan Wiebe

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor Execution of a great idea.
Published 18 months ago by brody

5.0 out of 5 stars They've improved the Kindle!, Jan. 28 2013
Dan Wiebe (49° 54' N 97° 14' W) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Well, I wasn't expecting to like the Paperwhite as much as I do. In fact, I almost cancelled my order before it shipped because I was convinced that the extra cost wouldn't be proportionate to the added value compared to my Kindle 4. I was wrong. I am so happy with this product. For one thing, with my being used to navigating and page-turning with buttons, it is nice to have a touch screen, and an onscreen keyboard. The screen itself is much more responsive than I expected, and making notes is a breeze for me now. The onscreen organization of the books, both on the device and in the cloud, is simple to use. And even though it IS annoying to have to re-download all your books onto a new device, this Kindle makes it simple with access to your cloud storage a simple click away. Of course, the new lit screen is the most infamous new feature, and it truly must be seen to be believed. And having the option to dim the light, or turn it off completely with little effort is a nice feature, too. The whole device feels about as light as my old Kindle 4, and with the Amazon recommended leather case it is more slender than my old Kindle, too. I'm not sure how anyone could be disappointed with this wonderful gadget. Well done Amazon!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Kindle yet (seriously), Jan. 30 2013
Adam - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
So, this being my third Kindle (I've owned the Keyboard and the non-touch Kindle from the previous generation), I am definitely writing this with a bit of experience, as far as Kindle hardware and experience goes.

This is definitely, without question, in my personal opinion, the best Kindle that Amazon has released to date. It's solid, works well, is fast, and is definitely a great piece of technology for those of you who love to read.

As noted in numerous reviews, the backlighting isn't 100% uniform. You can tell where the LEDs on the bottom of the screen sit, however, you practically don't notice it in real-world conditions (and I'm very picky about these kind of things). It's entirely without the realm of normal, and it's of no issue, so order without being paranoid and thinking there is some 100% perfect Kindle out there that you'll need to keep exchanging for (unless, of course, the one you order is broken).

I highly recommend this, and this will be replacing my prior Kindles and my iPad Mini as my go-to reading device.

5.0 out of 5 stars Glad I upgraded to PW, Jan. 26 2013
Katy Andrews "Brit Crit" (Ontario Canada ex UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Kindle Paperwhite 3G, 6" High Resolution Display with Built-in Light, Free 3G + Wi-Fi [Previous Generation] (Electronics)
I don't think I need to go into the great features that everyone else has covered.
I upgraded from a Kindle 2nd generation keyboard and the paperwhite is by far an improvement.
I love the 3G and WiFi feature - my son asked me how much it was for the 3G and he was surprised to find it is FREE.
The lighting issue is a non issue for me. There is a little shadowing at the bottom but to be honest if I hadn't read the reviews and learned about this issue it might have passed me by. To avoid this just a little change of the brightness helps.
I love that I can abandon my booklight and actually lie down in bed (no glasses or contacts) and read in a dark room (when I have bouts of insomnia)without disturbing my husband
I love the smaller size (from the keyboard version)
I love the fast page turns.
I love the touch screen (despite many touch screens not very user friendly towards me - this one IS)
I love the time remaining feature that judges by your own reading speed. This is very smart.
I love that the case I bought (from the US site) is the specially moulded one for PW and when closed puts the PW to sleep.
I love how super quick the PW wakes up (when I open the case)
I simply LOVED that I ordered it one day and it arrived the NEXT day - and the case from the US arrived the same day - Perfect :)

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor Execution of a great idea., Jan. 24 2013
Wanted to love this Paperwhite. After having problems with my first unit that i received as a Christmas gift, and then going through amazon's return/exchange program 3 times (the first unit had imperfections in the screen that lit up like stuck pixels on an LCD). It was clear comparing the exchange units with one another that Amazon had a problem. Each unit looked totally different. Definitely nothing like the advertised white images that amazon posts online. I am not sure what causes these inconsistencies other than poor manufacturing and quality control. The reality is that i picked the "least worst" of the 4 units i had seen and have kept it. But even after going through 4 units I am still left with a unit that has a stuck eink pixel (black dot) and several bright white dots, and a screen that is pink in the upper corner, blue in the middle, green on the edges, and is rather difficult to read on really overall more of a paperyellow. When i received my paperwhite i sold my kindle touch (which was the best i have used so far) and was disappointed, would have liked to have kept the touch, and waited for amazon to fix this problem with their units in the next paperwhite version. It is a solvable problem as the Kobo Glow does not suffer from such inconsistencies, no discoloration of the screen etc. Too bad they beat amazon at their own "revolution". My recommendation is wait to upgrade.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not worth upgrading, but still great..., Jan. 23 2013
J. Mah (NY) - See all my reviews
I just picked up the Kindle Paperwhite to replace my Kindle 3G.. It's a lot of money for a few minor feature upgrades and one or two major downgrades.
Compared to the 3G (Kindle Keyboard):
Pros:
The backlighting enhances the contrast and lets you read in daylight and dark
It has new software gadgets built in - estimating the time to finish a chapter, and finish the book.
The lighting is nicely adjustable

Cons:
It's very hard to use left handed - they removed the very handy buttons on the side, and have made the 'page forward' page turn activate by tapping the righthand side of the screen.
No text to speech, no audio support.
The backlighting is uneven leaving occasional 'darker spots' at the bottom of the screen.

I'm also disappointed that we're still not able to use our own screensaver, nor are we able to use the bookcover as the screensaver (unless you want to break product terms, void warranties, etc, etc)

Additionally, unlike the Kobo glo, we can't use dsylexia friendly fonts

4.0 out of 5 stars Great first ereader, Jan. 24 2013
Great ereader. As with all technology, there's a bit of a learning curve when you get it - figuring out how to turn pages, read PDFs, etc. Once you're over that, it's great. Bought it for travel and for reading class notes/textbooks during my commute. Wikipedia and the kindle store can be accessed anywhere with 3G/edge. The variation in lighting at the bottom is only visible when reading in low light conditions and even then it's not distracting. Only truly bad point: reading scanned pdfs can be tricky, and there is no way to annotate them (ie-add a note).

I will always prefer paper books, but this more than serves its purpose...plus I can download a book pretty much whenever and wherever I want. Which you have to admit, is pretty awesome.

4.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic alternative to tablets for migraine sufferers, Jan. 24 2013
I have used the light feature on my new kindle paperwhite and it is definitely easier on my eyes than a backlit tablet screen. I love that without the light it feel exactly like reading a paper book. I do miss the page forward/back buttons from my kindle keyboard. It would have been nice if they had kept at least one page forward button somewhere on the left side of the body of the kindle. I cant imagine how frustrating that must be for lefties.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this and you will thank yourself later!, Jan. 24 2013
poi boy (Vancouver, BC, CA) - See all my reviews
First off.. all those reviews that say this is not worth getting... ignore!!!

I have owned many kindles and many other e-readers. The Paperwhite is by far the best. Easy.

The key features that are excellent:

1) Time until chapter ends > I love this feature, and it makes reading before bed/or in transit more enjoyable.
2) Illuminated screen > no more stupid clip on lamps/lights. I can read with easy and set the level of illumination quickly and easily.
3) Syncing > I have the kindle app on my iPhone and my iPad. The app on both sync with my Paperwhite all the time making reading any book across all platforms a breeze. It's an excellent feature that no other e-book company offers currently.

It feels great in your hand, and not flimsy.
The cover (sold separately) is also as great or better than the iPad's version.

Battery works better with wifi off, but its not a dealbreaker.

I love book more with this item in my possession. I normally was not a big reader. But I have already red so many books this year alone and I have the Paperwhite to thanks. Well done Amazon and thank you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great device for the avid reader, Jan. 24 2013
Amazon Customer (Saskatchewan, Canada) - See all my reviews
I have a Blackberry Playbook and found that after more than 15 minutes of reading, the glare from the screen made my eyes begin to feel sore. I bought the Paperwhite as a solution to that and have to say that I love this technology because I can spend hours reading in any light without experiencing eyestrain. In response to another reviewer's comment about the limitations of ereader technology in general, I would say that I don't use this as a tablet replacement but rather as more of a tablet supplement: I still use my tablet for email and web access and turn to my Paperwhite for extended reading.

The Paperwhite is my first ereader so I cannot compare it with other models or brands. What I would say, though, is that I cannot imagine using an ereader without a built in light. As other reviewers have noted, the lighting isn't perfectly distributed at the bottom of the screen but that is only apparent under some lighting conditions and it really makes no difference to my reading enjoyment. The build quality of this device is excellent and, overall, I am very pleased I bought it. My choice was mostly determined by the fact that there seemed to be a good selection of quality free and cheap books on Amazon than at other ebook stores and in that, too, Amazon has not disappointed.

I would highly recommend the Paperwhite to the avid reader who has problems with the glare from their tablet screen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kindle Is King, Feb. 8 2013
When I read some of these review I had to laugh, first of all the Paperwhite is not back-lite screen, it is front-lite.

And if you want to shut off the light you can do so by holding down the negative (-) on the light itself; it will turn off.

I had every Kindle that came into market; and I have had the Paperwhite in canada since it came out, I got mine through other sources. And I must say, as readers are concerned,
Kindle has dominated. I tried the kobo glo, even though it is a solid reader is does not hold up to the Paperwhite.

Anyone that loves to read, should buy one of these, its the perfect companion for book lovers, hell, it even tells you how much time left you have in your book and chapter!

Have great reads!