march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage snsflyout Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Music Deals Store sports Tools ca_ty_gno

on January 28, 2013
Well, I wasn't expecting to like the Paperwhite as much as I do. In fact, I almost cancelled my order before it shipped because I was convinced that the extra cost wouldn't be proportionate to the added value compared to my Kindle 4. I was wrong. I am so happy with this product. For one thing, with my being used to navigating and page-turning with buttons, it is nice to have a touch screen, and an onscreen keyboard. The screen itself is much more responsive than I expected, and making notes is a breeze for me now. The onscreen organization of the books, both on the device and in the cloud, is simple to use. And even though it IS annoying to have to re-download all your books onto a new device, this Kindle makes it simple with access to your cloud storage a simple click away. Of course, the new lit screen is the most infamous new feature, and it truly must be seen to be believed. And having the option to dim the light, or turn it off completely with little effort is a nice feature, too. The whole device feels about as light as my old Kindle 4, and with the Amazon recommended leather case it is more slender than my old Kindle, too. I'm not sure how anyone could be disappointed with this wonderful gadget. Well done Amazon!
0Comment|158 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon January 30, 2013
So, this being my third Kindle (I've owned the Keyboard and the non-touch Kindle from the previous generation), I am definitely writing this with a bit of experience, as far as Kindle hardware and experience goes.

This is definitely, without question, in my personal opinion, the best Kindle that Amazon has released to date. It's solid, works well, is fast, and is definitely a great piece of technology for those of you who love to read.

As noted in numerous reviews, the backlighting isn't 100% uniform. You can tell where the LEDs on the bottom of the screen sit, however, you practically don't notice it in real-world conditions (and I'm very picky about these kind of things). It's entirely without the realm of normal, and it's of no issue, so order without being paranoid and thinking there is some 100% perfect Kindle out there that you'll need to keep exchanging for (unless, of course, the one you order is broken).

I highly recommend this, and this will be replacing my prior Kindles and my iPad Mini as my go-to reading device.
0Comment|146 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 26, 2013
I don't think I need to go into the great features that everyone else has covered.
I upgraded from a Kindle 2nd generation keyboard and the paperwhite is by far an improvement.
I love the 3G and WiFi feature - my son asked me how much it was for the 3G and he was surprised to find it is FREE.
The lighting issue is a non issue for me. There is a little shadowing at the bottom but to be honest if I hadn't read the reviews and learned about this issue it might have passed me by. To avoid this just a little change of the brightness helps.
I love that I can abandon my booklight and actually lie down in bed (no glasses or contacts) and read in a dark room (when I have bouts of insomnia)without disturbing my husband
I love the smaller size (from the keyboard version)
I love the fast page turns.
I love the touch screen (despite many touch screens not very user friendly towards me - this one IS)
I love the time remaining feature that judges by your own reading speed. This is very smart.
I love that the case I bought (from the US site) is the specially moulded one for PW and when closed puts the PW to sleep.
I love how super quick the PW wakes up (when I open the case)
I simply LOVED that I ordered it one day and it arrived the NEXT day - and the case from the US arrived the same day - Perfect :)
on January 24, 2013
Wanted to love this Paperwhite. After having problems with my first unit that i received as a Christmas gift, and then going through amazon's return/exchange program 3 times (the first unit had imperfections in the screen that lit up like stuck pixels on an LCD). It was clear comparing the exchange units with one another that Amazon had a problem. Each unit looked totally different. Definitely nothing like the advertised white images that amazon posts online. I am not sure what causes these inconsistencies other than poor manufacturing and quality control. The reality is that i picked the "least worst" of the 4 units i had seen and have kept it. But even after going through 4 units I am still left with a unit that has a stuck eink pixel (black dot) and several bright white dots, and a screen that is pink in the upper corner, blue in the middle, green on the edges, and is rather difficult to read on really overall more of a paperyellow. When i received my paperwhite i sold my kindle touch (which was the best i have used so far) and was disappointed, would have liked to have kept the touch, and waited for amazon to fix this problem with their units in the next paperwhite version. It is a solvable problem as the Kobo Glow does not suffer from such inconsistencies, no discoloration of the screen etc. Too bad they beat amazon at their own "revolution". My recommendation is wait to upgrade.
0Comment|130 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 23, 2013
I just picked up the Kindle Paperwhite to replace my Kindle 3G.. It's a lot of money for a few minor feature upgrades and one or two major downgrades.
Compared to the 3G (Kindle Keyboard):
Pros:
The backlighting enhances the contrast and lets you read in daylight and dark
It has new software gadgets built in - estimating the time to finish a chapter, and finish the book.
The lighting is nicely adjustable

Cons:
It's very hard to use left handed - they removed the very handy buttons on the side, and have made the 'page forward' page turn activate by tapping the righthand side of the screen.
No text to speech, no audio support.
The backlighting is uneven leaving occasional 'darker spots' at the bottom of the screen.

I'm also disappointed that we're still not able to use our own screensaver, nor are we able to use the bookcover as the screensaver (unless you want to break product terms, void warranties, etc, etc)

Additionally, unlike the Kobo glo, we can't use dsylexia friendly fonts
0Comment|155 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 24, 2013
First off.. all those reviews that say this is not worth getting... ignore!!!

I have owned many kindles and many other e-readers. The Paperwhite is by far the best. Easy.

The key features that are excellent:

1) Time until chapter ends > I love this feature, and it makes reading before bed/or in transit more enjoyable.
2) Illuminated screen > no more stupid clip on lamps/lights. I can read with easy and set the level of illumination quickly and easily.
3) Syncing > I have the kindle app on my iPhone and my iPad. The app on both sync with my Paperwhite all the time making reading any book across all platforms a breeze. It's an excellent feature that no other e-book company offers currently.

It feels great in your hand, and not flimsy.
The cover (sold separately) is also as great or better than the iPad's version.

Battery works better with wifi off, but its not a dealbreaker.

I love book more with this item in my possession. I normally was not a big reader. But I have already red so many books this year alone and I have the Paperwhite to thanks. Well done Amazon and thank you.
on January 24, 2013
I have a Blackberry Playbook and found that after more than 15 minutes of reading, the glare from the screen made my eyes begin to feel sore. I bought the Paperwhite as a solution to that and have to say that I love this technology because I can spend hours reading in any light without experiencing eyestrain. In response to another reviewer's comment about the limitations of ereader technology in general, I would say that I don't use this as a tablet replacement but rather as more of a tablet supplement: I still use my tablet for email and web access and turn to my Paperwhite for extended reading.

The Paperwhite is my first ereader so I cannot compare it with other models or brands. What I would say, though, is that I cannot imagine using an ereader without a built in light. As other reviewers have noted, the lighting isn't perfectly distributed at the bottom of the screen but that is only apparent under some lighting conditions and it really makes no difference to my reading enjoyment. The build quality of this device is excellent and, overall, I am very pleased I bought it. My choice was mostly determined by the fact that there seemed to be a good selection of quality free and cheap books on Amazon than at other ebook stores and in that, too, Amazon has not disappointed.

I would highly recommend the Paperwhite to the avid reader who has problems with the glare from their tablet screen.
on January 24, 2013
I have used the light feature on my new kindle paperwhite and it is definitely easier on my eyes than a backlit tablet screen. I love that without the light it feel exactly like reading a paper book. I do miss the page forward/back buttons from my kindle keyboard. It would have been nice if they had kept at least one page forward button somewhere on the left side of the body of the kindle. I cant imagine how frustrating that must be for lefties.
on February 8, 2013
When I read some of these review I had to laugh, first of all the Paperwhite is not back-lite screen, it is front-lite.

And if you want to shut off the light you can do so by holding down the negative (-) on the light itself; it will turn off.

I had every Kindle that came into market; and I have had the Paperwhite in canada since it came out, I got mine through other sources. And I must say, as readers are concerned,
Kindle has dominated. I tried the kobo glo, even though it is a solid reader is does not hold up to the Paperwhite.

Anyone that loves to read, should buy one of these, its the perfect companion for book lovers, hell, it even tells you how much time left you have in your book and chapter!

Have great reads!

Cheers!
on March 17, 2013
The Kobo Glo is basically _the_ competitor for this device. I'd take a look at both if you're looking to buy this one. After comparing the two in stores (two different stores, which made it a bit of a hassle), and reading some online feature comparisons, I took away the following

The Kobo Glo
- is lighter (30 grams!), and slightly shorter while maintaining about the same screen size
- has far more user customization, more fonts, more options for fonts, allows you to install new fonts. It includes a supposedly dyslexia-friendly font, which may be useful for some people.
- has a micro SD slot, but I have no idea why I'd ever want to use this; I guess it could be useful for people who use these devices for comics or PDFs, but an LCD-based tablet is really far more suitable for both
- has a brighter light with fewer hue blotches, but slightly more unevenness at the edges
- supports far more formats, and supports a DRM format that's used by several different stores (excluding Amazon's)

The Kindle Paperwhite
- has a less bright light, but allows more brightness variation in the low end. I'm good with this, I have no idea why I'd want to use full brightness on either device; if the environment is _that_ bright, I'd rather just turn the light off altogether. OTOH, in dark environments I like the option to make the light even more dim
- while the screen has a little blotchyness at full power, at lower powers it seems more even and less blue than the Kobo screen. It also seems that the Kobo's light negatively impacts contrast, giving the text more of a blue tint than the Kindle's light does
- has a barely more responsive touch screen
- only supports Amazon's DRM, and has limited non-DRM'd format support
- supports Amazon's cloud stuff, syncing read pages between devices and receives/stores emailed documents

After balancing the pros and cons, I went with the Kindle. I already have a Kindle 3, which means I'm already slightly invested into Amazon's store, and I've grown accustomed to emailing documents to my Kindle, which the Kobo doesn't seem to have an equivalent for. I was also much more impressed by the lighting on the Kindle's screen than I was the Kobo's. Some people dislike the blotchy hue on the Kindle's screen with the light on; on mine, at least, this is only visible at maximum brightness, which I have no use for. The Kobo, or at least the store Kobo Glo demos, had more uneven lighting on the edges and the ligt more negatively affected the contrast, though it might have just been because the thing's light is so much brighter than the Kindle's.

The Kobo _almost_ got me, mostly because of its size and weight advantage. The lack of format support on the Kindle doesn't bother me as much because of the email feature (which can also auto-convert), and because I use Calibre for syncing and it handles format conversion automatically. I'd honestly have been satisfied with either device though, they've both very nice and there's only a few minor points that lean towards one or the other.

Edit: After spending time with the device, I've decided to return it and purchase a Kobo Glo, and dock a star off the rating. My reasoning, in point form because that seems to be what I'm doing right now:
- the screen appears to have the exact same contrast as the Kindle 3, and the background is no more white. If there is a difference it's imperceptible
- perhaps to make the screen look whiter, the light can never be disabled. This is ridiculous. Though I didn't think it would be from the demo unit, the light is visible when reading in low light, including reading by my bedside lamp. It's distracting, it grants the screen an unhealthy blue tint that is, as noted before, a bit blotchy. I can deal with blotchy if I _need_ the light, since it's better than, say, the K3's case light. I refuse to deal with blotchy when I don't need the light. If they're basing the increased contrast figure on the screen with the light, that may be why it can't be disabled. That's dirty. If you press the power button, the screen is briefly visible without the light, and next to a K3 the only difference I see then is the resolution.
- the browser no longer works on 3G, making the 3G unit far less interesting. You can browse Wikipedia, but that's all. Meh

If it weren't for the always-on screen I might keep it, but anything to make the screen quality worse is a big deal; E-ink readers are all about the paper-like screen.

Edit 2: And now, spending more time with the Kobo Glo, and having spent a day with the Paperwhite, I have to come out even harsher against the Kindle. The Kobo's light isn't as bad as first impressions would have it; there's noticeably more glow at the sides on maximum brightness, but the Kobo's maximum brightness is brighter than the Kindle's anyways. At equivalent brightnesses, the Kobo Glo does not have anywhere near as much blotchyness as does the Paperwhite, and the side glow is extremely minor. The Kobo's UI is also just plain nicer. Turning off wifi is a one-touch thing, something that was also easy on the Kindle 3 but is buried under and additional menu on the Paperwhite (I've found turning off wireless helps tremendously with the battery life of other readers, I assume it's the same with these new ones). There are also many more options on the Kobo, including the aforementioned font options. Perhaps the worst thing I can say about the Kobo is that the dictionaries are awful, and unlike the Kindle there doesn't seem to be any way to buy or download new ones (the Kindle has several on its store, and it accepts side-loaded Mobi dictionary files without any modification).