countdown Learn more boutiques-francophones scflyout Pets All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools

on May 16, 2014
This is a basic, fantastic product at a basic fantastic price, so this definitely doesn't require much in terms of an in-depth review. I am not reviewing the films themselves--although the trilogy definitely receives 5 stars from me as well--just the actual item you're paying for.

What you get with this product is the entire LOTR Trilogy each on their own individual disks, in one case, separated by plastic dividers. Basic, clean, compact. Nothing fancy, which is perfect because with only paying 10 dollars, that's all I wanted, basic. There's nothing wrong with this product. Although, I will say, something I found strange is that mine came with a small tear in the paper within the cover of the DVD case that displays the cover design, etc. And the tear wasn't from my hands, but that's beside the point and a packaging error rather than product error.

If you want all 3 of the LOTR movies on DVD together in one place for a cheap price, no frills attached, then this is the product for you. I have no complaints and am more than content with my purchase.
on February 13, 2013
I read the product description from Amazon (inserted below) and expected to get 12 disks in total.
There are THREE in the pack.

Just thought I'd post this so that you know what you will be getting ...

-----------------------------------
Product Description

Amazon.ca

The extended editions of Peter Jackson's The Lord of the Rings present the greatest trilogy in film history in the most ambitious sets in DVD history. In bringing J.R.R. Tolkien's nearly unfilmable work to the screen, Jackson benefited from extraordinary special effects, evocative New Zealand locales, and an exceptionally well-chosen cast, but most of all from his own adaptation with co-writers Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens, preserving Tolkien's vision and often his very words, but also making logical changes to accommodate the medium of film. While purists complained about these changes and about characters and scenes left out of the films, the almost two additional hours of material in the extended editions (about 11 hours total) help appease them by delving more deeply into Tolkien's music, the characters, and loose ends that enrich the story, such as an explanation of the Faramir-Denethor relationship, and the appearance of the Mouth of Sauron at the gates of Mordor. In addition, the extended editions offer more bridge material between the films, further confirming that the trilogy is really one long film presented in three pieces (which is why it's the greatest trilogy ever--there's no weak link). The scene of Galadriel's gifts to the Fellowship added to the first film proves significant over the course of the story, while the new Faramir scene at the end of the second film helps set up the third and the new Saruman scene at the beginning of the third film helps conclude the plot of the second.

To top it all off, the extended editions offer four discs per film: two for the longer movie, plus four commentary tracks and stupendous DTS 6.1 ES sound; and two for the bonus material, which covers just about everything from script creation to special effects. The argument was that fans would need both versions because the bonus material is completely different, but the features on the theatrical releases are so vastly inferior that the only reason a fan would need them would be if they wanted to watch the shorter versions they saw in theaters (the last of which, The Return of the King, merely won 12 Oscars). The LOTR extended editions without exception have set the DVD standard by providing a richer film experience that pulls the three films together and further embraces Tolkien's world, a reference-quality home theater experience, and generous, intelligent, and engrossing bonus features. --David Horiuchi
on December 25, 2013
I loved the movies and got a chance to watch it again in high quality. Would definitely recommend to anyone.
on January 29, 2013
This 3-film package satisfied our curiosity of the whole long story of the LOR. It's worth buying this collection. My kids love it too.
on January 27, 2013
I've not devoted my life to the fantasy of Lord of the Rings, so don't really care about additional wealth of background and lore that seems to draw the aficionados of the genre... I just wanted to watch the movie series and this was an excellent price for the set. While I have a Blu-Ray player, this DVD set was also quite acceptable for my 32" set. I do have an excellent surround sound set-up, and the 5.1 channel sound on this set fills the room with an impressive background that pulls you into the experience. There is additional bonus material on one of the DVD's--- I may look at that, I may not bother. Excellent price. Good movie experience. Good purchase.
on March 6, 2014
Delighted to receive the entire Lord of the Rings Trilogy on D.V.D. The purchase arrived in perfect condition in a most timely fashion. Many thanks.
on January 2, 2013
This is a fun trilogy because each movie is on 1 disc. I got the special version and it bothers me to have to change the disc in the middle of the movie. Now, I don't have to stop to change disc.
I don't care if it's the theatrical cut. The don't have much differences between the 2 versions.
Only hardcore fan could spot the details from one version to the other.
Anyway, at 10$ for 3 films, this deal is one of the best I got here.
on December 14, 2012
Words are not enough to describe this epic trilogy of historical actions. For the amazing price of $10 for the trilogy DVD I couldn't ask for a better deal. I so wished I watched this movie in the theatres when it was out.

Some of the characters are in the new movie "The Hobbit". I'm so looking forward to watching this in theatre!

Thank you Amazon for a spectacular deal!
on February 18, 2014
All three movies in one box! these are great movies for the family , awesome movie marathon. pop the popcorn!!
on May 18, 2014
Happy to buy this as my collection. Consist of 3 movies that I like most. The price is very good too.