5.0 out of 5 stars Concert shot on 16mm film !
Published on July 24 2012 by Stephen Bieth

1.0 out of 5 stars Non-diehards be warned: this dvd is awful
Published on Jan. 16 2004 by Amanaplanacanal Panama

5.0 out of 5 stars Concert shot on 16mm film !, July 24 2012
Stephen Bieth (Mississauga/ Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Secret World Live (Blu-ray) (Blu-ray)
This is a great concert film. Shot on 16mm film (as per PG's web site) this film has been transferred from those negatives. The sound is nothing short of phenomenal. The show it's self mostly drawn from his then current album Us. The set does go back to great tracks like San Jacinto and Solsbury Hill from his earlier records. His band as always is top notch. Tony Levin is here on bass and Manu Katchie (not sure if that is spelt right) on drums for what would be his last tour with Gabriel. In fact it would be ten and a bit years after this before we got a new album from Gabriel (not counting Ovo). He has a then almost unknown Paula Cole on backing vocals and David Rhodes on guitar.
As for the grain/bad picture argument. This was shot on film but as I said 16mm so as with Monterey Pop or the recently released Hendrix plays Berkeley you have to expect a little bit of grain. Yes some directors do use grain to give the film a look. Like David Mallet using it on David Gilmour's "Remember That Night" so it could be either here. The 16mm used here I am sure is a lot better then the film used in the late 60's. I am just glad it was not shot on Video like so many other concert films of that period are. The transfer is much better then the laser disc, VHS or the DVD. Looks great on a HD TV.
This would easily go down as one of my top 10 Favorite concert films and I do have a very large collection (around the 300 mark) to compare it to. I am really happy to see this finally come out. Up till now on Blu ray there has only been New Blood with an orchestra. Which depending on witch fans you talk to either worked or didn't do anything for them at all. Now if they could get around to releasing POV from the So tour that would be great. With the So back to front tour starting in September and So being rereleased in a number of versions plus a classic album feature on it maybe we will see it in Septembet. This should keep me more then happy until then.
If you are not familiar with Mr. Gabriel's work you should check it out. In my opinion he is one of the great music visionaries of our time. Along with Trent Reznor, Kate Bush, Laurie Anderson and Tom Waits to just name check a few, I am not guaranteeing you will like it but if you love music it will at least keep you interested. If I could suggest two CD's I would say Gabriel 3 (the one were his face looks like a melting painting on the front) and Passion (The Last Temptation of Christ soundtrack) would be a good place for the brave at heart to start. If you like his more main stream stuff pick up So or Us which are brilliant records as well!

4.0 out of 5 stars Love this era of PG, July 26 2012
Gis A. Bun (Montreal, Quebec Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Secret World Live (Blu-ray) (Blu-ray)
Probably one of the slickest concert movies in the 90s and a precursor to the slick concert he did from the Growing Up tour and after. Upgraded and cleaned up picture with the same resolution as movie theaters ["super2K"]. Released in stereo and DTS 5.1 [too bad not Master audio]. Really, with the exception of the cleaned up picture and the addition of Red Rain [which was on the CD release when the concert wsas originally released], there is no real additions to the Blu-ray. The original DVD had a nearly 8 minute teaser of the Growing Up 2002-3 tour. It has been replaced by The Rhythm of the Heat off the New Blood London 2011 concert release -no idea why except to promote that release.

Oddly that there is no record label intros on the Blu-ray. Goes straight into the menu - which is boring compared to the original DVD release.

As the concert was filmed over 2 nights in Modena, Italy it is too bad that no additional footage was included. After all this is under 105 minutes - less than a typical PG concert.

1.0 out of 5 stars Non-diehards be warned: this dvd is awful, Jan. 16 2004
I'm a huge fan, have all the CDs, DVDs, etc. blah blah blah. BUT, this concert BARELY sounds live. In fact, when they're not inbetween songs, it COMPLETELY doesn't sound live. And what's with the pedestrian synching? Watch Manu Katche's drumming to see what I mean -- the sounds he makes come a half beat AFTER you see him hit his drums. The same problem can be seen with various mouths not matched up to the words being sung. I've read the other reviews and I can tell you (with my musicians ears, mind you) that I don't have a sense disorder and I have a stellar TV. After this recording, it was brought back into the studio and simply OVER-remixed, OVER-edited, and OVER-produced. If I wasn't such a huge fan of the songs and the artist, I'd call this DVD "awful."

4.0 out of 5 stars Oldie but goodie!, May 30 2014
This review is from: Secret World Live (Blu-ray) (Blu-ray)
Really upgraded the picture quality over the original. Still a greatly entertaining concert from start to finish. A must have for the home concert lover.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, March 30 2013
This review is from: Secret World Live (DVD) (DVD)
Fast shiping. Excellent condition. Very very interesting, my mother could'nt stop crying. For new and old fan. A lot of unseen before footage.

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't throw away your VHS Copy !!!, Sept. 19 2012
Yvon-louis Trottier (St-Basile, Québec) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Secret World Live (Blu-ray) (Blu-ray)
I'm a die-hard fan of Peter Garbriel. I saw this show in Montreal in the 90's and it was sensational. The VHS Copy I bought then had superb image and sound. When the DVD came out, I bought a copy. To my dismay, the image was very good but the sound was awful. Very narrow dynamic range. When the Blu-ray version came out, I was curious if the sound had been corrected. Nope...just the same, a bit better than the DVD maybe. Not bad, but the VHS copy soundtrack is still better, image awful but great sound !! I tweaked every button on my 5.1 surround system and pre-amplifier, checked everything in 2CH or HD, still... the VHS sound was superior without any adjustment. So, if you want a fair image but OK sound buy the Blu-ray, if you don't mind the picture quality but need the right sound, find an old VHS Copy !!

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor video quality, but great concert, May 6 2003
Thomas E. Stazer "torgotom" (Houston, TX United States) - See all my reviews
I feel very qualified to speak out on the awful video of this embarrassing DVD. I have 300 DVDs, 150 laserdiscs, 3 TVs and 3 DVD players, and well over a decade of experience in professional digital imaging. I know the difference between a poor transfer and grainy film. I know what compression artifacts look like. I know when something has been oversharpened or otherwise fiddled with. So, beleive me when I say the video on this release is pathetic. It is inexcusable, easily the worst looking DVD I own or have seen. The sound is excellent, yes. But I can't bear to watch the terrible image, which effectively reduces it to a re-release of the Secret World Live CD.
The laserdisc of this title looks much better than this remastered release. Given gabriel's tight control of his material, I wondered if this was mastered on a home computer? It really looks like an amatuer job.
Bottom Line - great sound in a great concert by a great artist, but watching this on anything larger than a 17" is going to be disappointing for discerning collectors.

5.0 out of 5 stars hmmm...., June 19 2004
Peter Gabrial: Vocals, piano, harmonica, tamborine and paddle Tony Levin: Bass, piano, tamborine and vocals David Rhodes: Guitar and vocals Shankar: Violin, tamborine and vocals Paula Cole: Vocals Levon Minassen: Doudouk Jean Claude Naimo: Synthesizers, piano, organ and vocals Manu Catche: Drums, tamborine and vocals
Whilst I dont have the DVD I have the video which has a fine transfer and no dubbing so this review is based mainly on that. This is very good. The band play well and Peter shows his abilities as a dancer and actor (the visuals in themselves are amazing). Peters vocals are as strong as ever and the compositions (all as always written or cowritten by Gabriel are all great. Forget Phil Collins Live, for the ultimate live music expieriance watch a Peter Gabriel concert.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's called "grain", July 14 2012
Ben Tremblay "Mélomane" (Quebec city, Quebec Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Secret World Live (Blu-ray) (Blu-ray)
I saw this blu-ray as part of the one night showing in theaters. It played on a HUGE screen and some people will notice the "pixely image". Well that's not what it is. It is not a fault, it is intended by the director. It is called grain. It is the actual grain of chemical on the 35mm film used in the filming of this concert. A bigger grain like this is usually preferred to give video a more artistic and organic feel to the image.

Now I'm writing this review to reassure everybody. The quality is staggering and the sound sublime. You definitely want this in your collection ... and I don't want anybody saying that the image is not sharp, it was never meant to be! It is beautiful and breathtaking just the way it is.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best concert DVD, March 20 2004
By A Customer
This is more than a concert; it is a show, a drama. The musicians fit perfectly for Gabriel's sound. Paula Cole adds so much with her voice to the feeling of the songs that I would say at times this is a concert of Gabriel/Cole. The song selection is excellent. The stage design which changes all the time according to the theme of the song is inspiring. Every action of the musicians adds so much to the concert. I write this much, and yet at this moment I am frustrated, cause I know, my words are not describing sufficiently how I am touched by this concert. I have Gabriel's last DVD as well, simply because I bought this one first. Had I bought the other one first, would I buy this one? Maybe not, and that would be a terrible mistake.

Secret World Live (Blu-ray)
Secret World Live (Blu-ray) by Peter Gabriel (Blu-ray - 2012)
CDN$ 14.99