Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage SmartSaver Kitchen Kindle Music Deals Store SGG Countdown to Cyber Monday in Lawn & Garden

on December 4, 2012
The drive is slick, attaches seamlessly to my Mac and my PC without having to format the drive or losing any previously backed up data. Thin and decently portable as well. Very happy with my purchase.
on December 25, 2012
Great product: simple, fast, slick and not expensive at all...
For 69$ it really worth the price!
It has been working for 3 months.
on January 2, 2013
I currently own a 250gb portable/external drive and the need to keep archived files on the drive forced me to upgrade for more space... I'M GLAD I DID!

As all 2.5” (laptop drives) the form factor is what you expect small and portable. The design is sleek and has a soft white light when power is connected… the light is in no way annoying or obtrusive. I mostly use this on a usb2 connection, which is fine for my casual needs (archiving and accessing recent files when away from home… sometimes the cloud solution doesn’t always work for large files).

I like the included software but mainly manage my own archiving/file-swapping manually. The application also comes with a nifty feature to download all of your facebook & Flikr pictures and videos with literally a few clicks of a button (fyi – you can download all of your facebook details directly from fb). I tested out the schedule backup and it works but can’t speak to how it works out over time as my personal preference is to manually move/copy/delete the transferred files.

all in all great product at a great price $69 (boxing week sale)

Just one note I’d like to leave behind… this specifically stumped me for over 30min. When I installed the software for the very first time the Seagate Dashboard program displayed the following message "Connect a Seagate Dashboard-enhanced drive to activate features". The drive was plugged in and I can access via my windows explorer, however the Seagate Dashboard application would not recognize that I had a valid drive plugged in. After troubleshooting and a few reboots I finally figured out that my memory card reader with 2 memory cards in it (4gb CF and 16gb micro sdhc) caused the hiccup. As soon as I removed my memory card reader from the usb the Seagate Dashboard recognized the 1tb portable drive. Unsure what the root cause was but just pointing out my experience in the event this helps out anyone.
on January 2, 2013
To start off I love the product. It is a great size, not too loud, has a sleek professional finish and the cable stays in nice and tightly.

Laptop Specs:
I5-3210m processor
Windows 8
8gb ram

** PROS **

* transfer speed *
Large files I average about 75-85 mb/s , and with many small files it averages 30-50mb/s (which is still faster than I would get with a USB 2.0 drive)

* Software*
The backup software can let you set up automatic backups and you can backup files or photos from your social networks to save you time

* Ease of use *
Literally all that has to be done is plug in the cable to the hard drive and then to your laptop. I didn't have to install any drivers and None of the software is mandatory which is why i didn't bother with it.

** CONS **

nothing to do with this hard drive but i was really disappointed that the drive was delivered and left in my mailbox at -28 degrees outside. it was there for 2 days before i was able to get it.
on April 10, 2013
Unfortunately, I did not purchase this item at my local B&M store or I would have been able to return it and get a new same or similar item in exchange. I don't fault Amazon but I don't know that I will purchase this sort of thing online in the future.

The drive failed completely within a few weeks of first use and because it was outside of the return window for Amazon, I had to deal with Seagate's warranty. Be forewarned, Seagate replaced my defective drive with a RECONDITIONED drive and further, I had to pay for the return shipping. They also don't provide for data recovery, except for a coupon worth a small percentage of the total cost for data recovery services.

I hope the replacement drive lasts longer than the brand new one I had a few weeks ago, but I won't count on it. I already have multiple backup systems, but now I feel like this one was a total waste of money, time and effort. I won't buy Seagate next time.
on September 28, 2013
A little late in writing the review. it work great. the user interface is easy. havent experienced any issues with it so far and i have had it for a few months now. only sad thing is the price has gone down since i bought it :(. but a good product for the price.
on March 28, 2013
works like a charm, love the fact that is is compatible with both Mac and pc formats with having to reformat drive each time. Amazon delivery was quick and efficient as usual
on December 28, 2012
I purchased this product mainly to extract the internal hard drive (note this WILL void your warranty) and put it into my secondary harddrive bay. Confirm that it is indeed at 9.5mm in height so it fits perfectly. The case isn't all that hard to remove either, just need a bit of patience. Afterwards, I can still put a spare 2.5" hard drive into the case to use it as a dock.

Highly recommended!
on November 1, 2013
When I first bought a portable Seagate drive(320 GB FreeAgentGo) I was very pleased with the performance and feel. It had a nice finish to the case with a little layer of rubber to the bottom for grip on a desk. I was so happy with it that I bought the sleeve and docking station.

Naturally when it came time to get another I chose the 500 GB model but in the 1 year since I had bought the first there was a noticeable degradation in the quality of the case. The plastic felt flimsier and it lacked that nice rubberised bottom. But still, it was a good performing drive in a sleek little case.

Time has come again for another upgrade and the downward trend in the case has continued. While it might look like a brushed metal case it is plastic, and a very thin piece of it at that. They've even done away with the little bit of metal in their logo and just painted it on. This might seem like nitpicking but a portable drive should stand up to the rigours of being carried around. Thankfully though it fits the sleeve for the FreeAgentGo so it's durability is less of an issue for me.

Good size for the dollar and the vastly quicker USB 3.0 make it a great value. All the drives have been quite and keep relatively cool, just be carefully with it when lugging it around.

Finally, don't be afraid to get rid of the dashboard software and video's they've included, they're a waste of space and unnecessary(also available on their website if you really want it). Dragging and dropping is dead simple enough
on December 14, 2013
I've had this about a month.
Got this on sale for $69.95 - what a deal! Works great. Actual size is 12cm x 8 cm x 1cm. Only a single cable - doesn't need an extra power cable. Made of plastic, not metal. Ran a standard benchmark to test its data transfer rate. Got 130 Megabytes Read and 130 megabytes Write per second. (Transfer rates depend on the benchmark program used and how it's set up, and your computer hardware, so this is just for comparison - a USB 2.0 external drive transfers at 30 and 33 Megabytes per second with the same test).
Be aware that if you transfer a pile of smaller files such as photos and music files, your transfer rate will be markedly slower, but this drive has good speed - 4 times faster than USB 2.0.
If you're a speed freak, and you have a desktop computer without a board that supports USB 3.0, it's worth installing a USB 3.0 rig like this:
PCI Express PCI-E Card 2 Port Hub Adapter + USB 3.0 Front Panel 5Gbps Hi-Speed