countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout Home All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools Registry

on July 29, 2014
Purchased this product just about a week ago to take the media storage load off of our main desktop's shoulders. We're a mixed OS household with multiple Apple OSX installations, Windows and even a Linux media box. This drive's application is simply for media (photos, video and music) archiving.

We chose the Seagate drive after having mixed experiences with a variety of brands. Over the years Seagate has been one of the most reliable names from our personal experience. Failure of ANY hard drive is always a possibility, so that reality is part of our data preservation contingency plan ;-)

Out of the box the only thing we had to do was to re-format the drive to be more accommodating with our OSX installation. No problem, took minutes to complete using Disk Utility. We've since run it through it's writing paces with nearly 1TB of data written. It's wired to our iMac through the USB2.0 port, and writes fast enough. 1GB of data takes just under a minute to write. It's very quiet, and even touching the drive while it's spinning fast, your can barely feel any vibration (unlike some drives we have that make the entire desktop vibrate). The unit does gather some heat like all drives do, and the underside venting seems adequate. It never got too hot to touch the case. We've been through several start-up and shut down sequences with this drive attached already. Nothing to note in that department.

The real test of any drive will be it's longevity through many accesses over time. So far this drive is meeting my expectations, though not yet exceeding them.
on November 20, 2014
Well worth it
For any Xbox One users
Super easy to formant it to store all future downloads
And once the xbox is off the storage unit will be off too!
on May 23, 2016
It's fantastic as a drive, and even better once you grab the free software found online on the official website. Great for back-ups. It saved me when my main drive died a few months ago. Ran the back-up on a new main drive, and about 5 hours later it was like nothing was ever wrong.
on June 27, 2016
I have had this drive for a year and a half and it failed. (Would give it zero stars if that was an option.) Do your homework, Seagate has the highest failure rate of hard drives.
Plug the drive in the blue light goes on and it shuts itself off in a couple of minutes. Tried on multiple computers and not recognized.

Seagate hard drives exhibit surprisingly high failures rates in reliability test, Hitachi leads the pack

By Austin McIntire @austinmcintire · Jan 22, 2014 · Hot! 77

Backblaze, the makers of a cloud-based online backup service, has released the results of a hard drive reliability test for three leading manufacturers. The findings indicate two winners and one clear loser.

In terms of annual failure rates, Seagate led the way with, on average, almost 14% of their 1.5 terabyte drives failing within the first year. The failure rates of Seagate's 3TB and 4TB drives, while lower, still led all other manufacturers. A failure, according to Backblaze, constitutes having to replace a drive in a server pod.

While Western Digital followed closely behind, Hitachi drives still demonstrated a clear advantage with a lower than 2% percentage failure rate across their 2, 3, and 4TB offerings.

The results of the test are based on a wide range of models from all manufacturers, but Backblaze singled out the Seagate Barracuda Green 1.5TB drive as a particularly poor performer, exhibiting only an average age of 0.8 years.

In terms of the 36 month survival rate for each manufacturer, the order of results remained largely the same. After a noticeable amount of failures in the first few months, Hitachi and Western Digital held steady, suggesting that hard drives that survive the first year unscathed will likely serve users well in the future.

Seagate products, in comparison, experienced a number of precipitous drops during the 36 month study. By the end, only 73.5% of their drives had made it to the 36 month mark, a poor showing indeed.

Source & Images: Backblaze

I had about 3Tb worth of data on it.
on February 10, 2015
I purchased this item to use it as a storage device for pictures and very important data on my PC which I did not want to lose, however after a no more than a week the devices started to produce clicky noises and it wouldn't show up on my computer anymore when I connect it. After some research there have been people who have the same problem as me, the arm of the drive is not working anymore and it can't read the data on the disk. I'm very sad as I have lost countless pictures and past information, I'd love it if there was a way to somehow recover the data by fixing the arm somehow, if anyone has an idea I would be extremely happy!
on May 13, 2016
Used it as my local backup and it totally failed. I only noticed the first time I actually had to restore some data only to find there was no data anymore. I fully reformatted the drive and started doing backups again on it and I just noticed it failed again.
on January 2, 2014
I got this on sale and it was the best TB/$ possible at the time, for that I rate it high for excellent value. It has 732564594 sectors totaling 2,861,580.4MB, and due to differences in the interpretation of "TB", shows as 2.72 TB in Windows. It came pre-formatted as NTFS, and included a Seagate backup program, which I haven't tried. Copying files under USB 2 went about 30MB/s, though this varies by drivers and mainboard. It's barely warm to the touch and quite compact. There's a single blue light at the top rear which flickers due to disc activity. It comes with one USB3 cable (compatible with USB2), and a fairly small power brick (which still takes the space of 2 plugs on a power bar).
I would recommend having virus software installed before connecting, as I have found files on sealed components before (apparently someone at the factory had experimented with installing linux on one of the spare USB sticks lying around, which ended up getting sold). There are vents in the bottom and there are 4 legs only 1-2mm high to let air through the vents. It's quiet when seeking but with a high pitched metallic sound, indicating a quick seek rate. The drive is a 7200.14, with 64MB of cache and 7200RPM. There are no obvious screws unless they are under the legs. It is cheaper to buy this then take out the drive and use inside your desktop.
on February 9, 2013
It's a very good product and I got it for a good price ($100 with tax). If I were to change only one thing, it would be that it has to plug into an outlet in order for it to work. I wish that it was powered by a USB port instead. The delivery for the product was amazing, I ordered it on Wednesday night and got it by Friday, so thank you Amazon.
This Seagate Expansion 2 TB USB 3.0 Desktop External Hard Drive STBV2000100 measures 4-5/8" X 7-1/16" X 1-3/8" thick - big in physical size by today's standard, and it weighs a hefty 1.5 lb. Furthermore, it comes with a corded transformer. A 100-240V 50/60 Hz AC outlet is required. It is definitely not for the travelers. However, its generous capacity of 2 TB makes it ideal for desktop storage. It runs on USB 3.0, which is a major improvement over the older 2.0 version, with transfer speed up to 5 Gigabits/sec, versus 480 Megabits/sec of USB 2.0. Computers with USB 3.0 are still relatively rare, but this Seagate Expansion Hard Drive is backward-compatible to USB 2.0, which is what I got in my HP desktop. This hard drive is plug-N-play. Within seconds after I plugged it in, it was up and running. A USB 3.0 cable is included. It is different in construction from USB 2.0 cables. A tiny blue LED lights up when the connection is made. The actual read/write speed of a hard drive is not the same as the USB transfer speed. I tested this hard drive with a software called DiskBench. The write speed of this Seagate Expansion drive ranges from 103 to 162 Megabytes/second and the read speed from 511 to 616 Megabytes/second, which are decent. I don't have USB 3.0, but I can see the logic of buying a USB 3.0 drive for a computer with USB 2.0, because USB 3.0 will be the standard in a few years. I can't speak to the drive's reliability, but I own two Seagate external hard drives and they have been very reliable.
on June 19, 2015
Bought it a few months ago for $100, works great with the Xbox One and is noticeably faster than the console's hard drive, haven't had any issues and it regularly has the best cost per TB for hard drives