5.0 out of 5 stars Good value, Mac OSX friendly
Purchased this product just about a week ago to take the media storage load off of our main desktop's shoulders. We're a mixed OS household with multiple Apple OSX installations, Windows and even a Linux media box. This drive's application is simply for media (photos, video and music) archiving.

We chose the Seagate drive after having mixed experiences with a...
Published 5 months ago by Ashton

2.0 out of 5 stars 2 weeks
2 weeks after buying this Expansion Drive, the power supply died. After transferring 1TB of irreplaceable data to it, I was upset to say the least. To send it to repair or replacement under warranty would be unacceptable as that data would be lost. After reading on the internet I found this model is prone to this. I opened up the case and removed actual hard drive and...
Published 12 months ago by John Woods

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value, Mac OSX friendly, July 29 2014

We chose the Seagate drive after having mixed experiences with a variety of brands. Over the years Seagate has been one of the most reliable names from our personal experience. Failure of ANY hard drive is always a possibility, so that reality is part of our data preservation contingency plan ;-)

Out of the box the only thing we had to do was to re-format the drive to be more accommodating with our OSX installation. No problem, took minutes to complete using Disk Utility. We've since run it through it's writing paces with nearly 1TB of data written. It's wired to our iMac through the USB2.0 port, and writes fast enough. 1GB of data takes just under a minute to write. It's very quiet, and even touching the drive while it's spinning fast, your can barely feel any vibration (unlike some drives we have that make the entire desktop vibrate). The unit does gather some heat like all drives do, and the underside venting seems adequate. It never got too hot to touch the case. We've been through several start-up and shut down sequences with this drive attached already. Nothing to note in that department.

The real test of any drive will be it's longevity through many accesses over time. So far this drive is meeting my expectations, though not yet exceeding them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Drives at a great price., June 25 2014
C. C. Cutress "c4" (Vancouver, BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Seagate Expansion 2TB Desktop External Hard Drive USB 3.0 (STBV2000100) (Personal Computers)
I've attached 2 of these drives as outboard to a new iMac 27".
They're great for backing up audio files for Pro Tools, Wavelab and Garage Band.
Also, I've dedicated one for Final Cut Pro video sessions.
Although they come formatted for pc use they can easily be reformatted to Mac storage formats.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Value, Jan. 2 2014
I got this on sale and it was the best TB/$ possible at the time, for that I rate it high for excellent value. It has 732564594 sectors totaling 2,861,580.4MB, and due to differences in the interpretation of "TB", shows as 2.72 TB in Windows. It came pre-formatted as NTFS, and included a Seagate backup program, which I haven't tried. Copying files under USB 2 went about 30MB/s, though this varies by drivers and mainboard. It's barely warm to the touch and quite compact. There's a single blue light at the top rear which flickers due to disc activity. It comes with one USB3 cable (compatible with USB2), and a fairly small power brick (which still takes the space of 2 plugs on a power bar).
I would recommend having virus software installed before connecting, as I have found files on sealed components before (apparently someone at the factory had experimented with installing linux on one of the spare USB sticks lying around, which ended up getting sold). There are vents in the bottom and there are 4 legs only 1-2mm high to let air through the vents. It's quiet when seeking but with a high pitched metallic sound, indicating a quick seek rate. The drive is a 7200.14, with 64MB of cache and 7200RPM. There are no obvious screws unless they are under the legs. It is cheaper to buy this then take out the drive and use inside your desktop.

5.0 out of 5 stars For Xbox One Users, Nov. 20 2014
Well worth it
For any Xbox One users
Super easy to formant it to store all future downloads
And once the xbox is off the storage unit will be off too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Highly Recommended, Dec 1 2014
Seagate's probably if not the BEST. My 3rd external from them since I download a bunch of movies over the years and worked my way up in building a collection and I've noticed how I run out of space. First I bought 1tb, than 2, now I jumped to 4TB and it's a huge life saver! The amount of storage and accessibility is smooth beyond any other hard drives. I'll always support Seagate items since I've been using them for half a decade now and never have had a problem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for desktop storage, July 15 2012
Alan Rivière "Maggie's Dad" (Southwest, USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This Seagate Expansion 2 TB USB 3.0 Desktop External Hard Drive STBV2000100 measures 4-5/8" X 7-1/16" X 1-3/8" thick - big in physical size by today's standard, and it weighs a hefty 1.5 lb. Furthermore, it comes with a corded transformer. A 100-240V 50/60 Hz AC outlet is required. It is definitely not for the travelers. However, its generous capacity of 2 TB makes it ideal for desktop storage. It runs on USB 3.0, which is a major improvement over the older 2.0 version, with transfer speed up to 5 Gigabits/sec, versus 480 Megabits/sec of USB 2.0. Computers with USB 3.0 are still relatively rare, but this Seagate Expansion Hard Drive is backward-compatible to USB 2.0, which is what I got in my HP desktop. This hard drive is plug-N-play. Within seconds after I plugged it in, it was up and running. A USB 3.0 cable is included. It is different in construction from USB 2.0 cables. A tiny blue LED lights up when the connection is made. The actual read/write speed of a hard drive is not the same as the USB transfer speed. I tested this hard drive with a software called DiskBench. The write speed of this Seagate Expansion drive ranges from 103 to 162 Megabytes/second and the read speed from 511 to 616 Megabytes/second, which are decent. I don't have USB 3.0, but I can see the logic of buying a USB 3.0 drive for a computer with USB 2.0, because USB 3.0 will be the standard in a few years. I can't speak to the drive's reliability, but I own two Seagate external hard drives and they have been very reliable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and Good, June 16 2013
This hard disk is cheap and very fast using the USB 3.0 and the space is big enough to save your data .

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Storage, Oct. 10 2013
Great price for a great product. Backed up my whole computer and still had a lot more room to spare.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good product, best price, excellent seller, April 7 2014
Seagate drives tend to last more than other drives and hence I tend to buy Segate.
The product is plug and play and no configuration is required.
It saves power (and hard drive life) by turning the drive off when the computer is off and/or if the drive is not being used it puts the drive in standby mode.

5.0 out of 5 stars We are very happy with the product as being a first to buy a product like this, June 21 2013
It met all our expectations and works well we have already got it loading up seems to have made our laptop computer run a bit faster