5.0 out of 5 stars Good value, Mac OSX friendly
Purchased this product just about a week ago to take the media storage load off of our main desktop's shoulders. We're a mixed OS household with multiple Apple OSX installations, Windows and even a Linux media box. This drive's application is simply for media (photos, video and music) archiving.

We chose the Seagate drive after having mixed experiences with a...
Published 3 months ago by Ashton

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this drive if you want USB 3.0!
I returned this drive, thinking that it was defective, and received a replacement. It is also defective! This drive will not work on either of my USB 3.0 ports. The ports are not the problem: another Seagate USB 3.0 drive works just fine on both of them! This drive works only on my USB 2.0 ports. It will not be recognized by the computer on any USB 3.0 port (not...
Published 7 months ago by Dan

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value, Mac OSX friendly, July 29 2014

We chose the Seagate drive after having mixed experiences with a variety of brands. Over the years Seagate has been one of the most reliable names from our personal experience. Failure of ANY hard drive is always a possibility, so that reality is part of our data preservation contingency plan ;-)

Out of the box the only thing we had to do was to re-format the drive to be more accommodating with our OSX installation. No problem, took minutes to complete using Disk Utility. We've since run it through it's writing paces with nearly 1TB of data written. It's wired to our iMac through the USB2.0 port, and writes fast enough. 1GB of data takes just under a minute to write. It's very quiet, and even touching the drive while it's spinning fast, your can barely feel any vibration (unlike some drives we have that make the entire desktop vibrate). The unit does gather some heat like all drives do, and the underside venting seems adequate. It never got too hot to touch the case. We've been through several start-up and shut down sequences with this drive attached already. Nothing to note in that department.

The real test of any drive will be it's longevity through many accesses over time. So far this drive is meeting my expectations, though not yet exceeding them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for desktop storage, July 15 2012
Alan Rivière "Maggie's Dad" (Southwest, USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Seagate Expansion 2TB Desktop External Hard Drive USB 3.0 (STBV2000100) (Personal Computers)
This Seagate Expansion 2 TB USB 3.0 Desktop External Hard Drive STBV2000100 measures 4-5/8" X 7-1/16" X 1-3/8" thick - big in physical size by today's standard, and it weighs a hefty 1.5 lb. Furthermore, it comes with a corded transformer. A 100-240V 50/60 Hz AC outlet is required. It is definitely not for the travelers. However, its generous capacity of 2 TB makes it ideal for desktop storage. It runs on USB 3.0, which is a major improvement over the older 2.0 version, with transfer speed up to 5 Gigabits/sec, versus 480 Megabits/sec of USB 2.0. Computers with USB 3.0 are still relatively rare, but this Seagate Expansion Hard Drive is backward-compatible to USB 2.0, which is what I got in my HP desktop. This hard drive is plug-N-play. Within seconds after I plugged it in, it was up and running. A USB 3.0 cable is included. It is different in construction from USB 2.0 cables. A tiny blue LED lights up when the connection is made. The actual read/write speed of a hard drive is not the same as the USB transfer speed. I tested this hard drive with a software called DiskBench. The write speed of this Seagate Expansion drive ranges from 103 to 162 Megabytes/second and the read speed from 511 to 616 Megabytes/second, which are decent. I don't have USB 3.0, but I can see the logic of buying a USB 3.0 drive for a computer with USB 2.0, because USB 3.0 will be the standard in a few years. I can't speak to the drive's reliability, but I own two Seagate external hard drives and they have been very reliable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Value, Jan. 2 2014
I got this on sale and it was the best TB/$ possible at the time, for that I rate it high for excellent value. It has 732564594 sectors totaling 2,861,580.4MB, and due to differences in the interpretation of "TB", shows as 2.72 TB in Windows. It came pre-formatted as NTFS, and included a Seagate backup program, which I haven't tried. Copying files under USB 2 went about 30MB/s, though this varies by drivers and mainboard. It's barely warm to the touch and quite compact. There's a single blue light at the top rear which flickers due to disc activity. It comes with one USB3 cable (compatible with USB2), and a fairly small power brick (which still takes the space of 2 plugs on a power bar).
I would recommend having virus software installed before connecting, as I have found files on sealed components before (apparently someone at the factory had experimented with installing linux on one of the spare USB sticks lying around, which ended up getting sold). There are vents in the bottom and there are 4 legs only 1-2mm high to let air through the vents. It's quiet when seeking but with a high pitched metallic sound, indicating a quick seek rate. The drive is a 7200.14, with 64MB of cache and 7200RPM. There are no obvious screws unless they are under the legs. It is cheaper to buy this then take out the drive and use inside your desktop.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and Good, June 16 2013
This hard disk is cheap and very fast using the USB 3.0 and the space is big enough to save your data .

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great!, Sept. 16 2013
Recently bought this HDD to store my movies and shows. It was an easy thing to do, truly plug & play. Also the TV (LG) recognizes the drive and I can control as if it were a Blu-Ray (even turn subtitles on/off). I am contemplating buying another one so that I have one for movies and one for TV Series. In either case, this is a great buy, well worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good product, best price, excellent seller, April 7 2014
Seagate drives tend to last more than other drives and hence I tend to buy Segate.
The product is plug and play and no configuration is required.
It saves power (and hard drive life) by turning the drive off when the computer is off and/or if the drive is not being used it puts the drive in standby mode.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Storage, Oct. 10 2013
Great price for a great product. Backed up my whole computer and still had a lot more room to spare.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Value, Sept. 14 2013
This product is great and meets all my needs. Loads up very quickly and is meeting all my data storage needs.

5.0 out of 5 stars We are very happy with the product as being a first to buy a product like this, June 21 2013
It met all our expectations and works well we have already got it loading up seems to have made our laptop computer run a bit faster

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use., June 1 2013
No crapware just 3 terabytes of data.

The wires are long enough transfer is fast.

It is a bit big but for the huge amount of data and the small price i think its perfect.