Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Cyber Monday Deals Week in Home & Kitchen Kindle Music Deals Store SGG Tools

on July 29, 2014
Purchased this product just about a week ago to take the media storage load off of our main desktop's shoulders. We're a mixed OS household with multiple Apple OSX installations, Windows and even a Linux media box. This drive's application is simply for media (photos, video and music) archiving.

We chose the Seagate drive after having mixed experiences with a variety of brands. Over the years Seagate has been one of the most reliable names from our personal experience. Failure of ANY hard drive is always a possibility, so that reality is part of our data preservation contingency plan ;-)

Out of the box the only thing we had to do was to re-format the drive to be more accommodating with our OSX installation. No problem, took minutes to complete using Disk Utility. We've since run it through it's writing paces with nearly 1TB of data written. It's wired to our iMac through the USB2.0 port, and writes fast enough. 1GB of data takes just under a minute to write. It's very quiet, and even touching the drive while it's spinning fast, your can barely feel any vibration (unlike some drives we have that make the entire desktop vibrate). The unit does gather some heat like all drives do, and the underside venting seems adequate. It never got too hot to touch the case. We've been through several start-up and shut down sequences with this drive attached already. Nothing to note in that department.

The real test of any drive will be it's longevity through many accesses over time. So far this drive is meeting my expectations, though not yet exceeding them.
on November 20, 2014
Well worth it
For any Xbox One users
Super easy to formant it to store all future downloads
And once the xbox is off the storage unit will be off too!
on January 2, 2014
I got this on sale and it was the best TB/$ possible at the time, for that I rate it high for excellent value. It has 732564594 sectors totaling 2,861,580.4MB, and due to differences in the interpretation of "TB", shows as 2.72 TB in Windows. It came pre-formatted as NTFS, and included a Seagate backup program, which I haven't tried. Copying files under USB 2 went about 30MB/s, though this varies by drivers and mainboard. It's barely warm to the touch and quite compact. There's a single blue light at the top rear which flickers due to disc activity. It comes with one USB3 cable (compatible with USB2), and a fairly small power brick (which still takes the space of 2 plugs on a power bar).
I would recommend having virus software installed before connecting, as I have found files on sealed components before (apparently someone at the factory had experimented with installing linux on one of the spare USB sticks lying around, which ended up getting sold). There are vents in the bottom and there are 4 legs only 1-2mm high to let air through the vents. It's quiet when seeking but with a high pitched metallic sound, indicating a quick seek rate. The drive is a 7200.14, with 64MB of cache and 7200RPM. There are no obvious screws unless they are under the legs. It is cheaper to buy this then take out the drive and use inside your desktop.
on February 10, 2015
I purchased this item to use it as a storage device for pictures and very important data on my PC which I did not want to lose, however after a no more than a week the devices started to produce clicky noises and it wouldn't show up on my computer anymore when I connect it. After some research there have been people who have the same problem as me, the arm of the drive is not working anymore and it can't read the data on the disk. I'm very sad as I have lost countless pictures and past information, I'd love it if there was a way to somehow recover the data by fixing the arm somehow, if anyone has an idea I would be extremely happy!
on February 9, 2013
It's a very good product and I got it for a good price ($100 with tax). If I were to change only one thing, it would be that it has to plug into an outlet in order for it to work. I wish that it was powered by a USB port instead. The delivery for the product was amazing, I ordered it on Wednesday night and got it by Friday, so thank you Amazon.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
This Seagate Expansion 2 TB USB 3.0 Desktop External Hard Drive STBV2000100 measures 4-5/8" X 7-1/16" X 1-3/8" thick - big in physical size by today's standard, and it weighs a hefty 1.5 lb. Furthermore, it comes with a corded transformer. A 100-240V 50/60 Hz AC outlet is required. It is definitely not for the travelers. However, its generous capacity of 2 TB makes it ideal for desktop storage. It runs on USB 3.0, which is a major improvement over the older 2.0 version, with transfer speed up to 5 Gigabits/sec, versus 480 Megabits/sec of USB 2.0. Computers with USB 3.0 are still relatively rare, but this Seagate Expansion Hard Drive is backward-compatible to USB 2.0, which is what I got in my HP desktop. This hard drive is plug-N-play. Within seconds after I plugged it in, it was up and running. A USB 3.0 cable is included. It is different in construction from USB 2.0 cables. A tiny blue LED lights up when the connection is made. The actual read/write speed of a hard drive is not the same as the USB transfer speed. I tested this hard drive with a software called DiskBench. The write speed of this Seagate Expansion drive ranges from 103 to 162 Megabytes/second and the read speed from 511 to 616 Megabytes/second, which are decent. I don't have USB 3.0, but I can see the logic of buying a USB 3.0 drive for a computer with USB 2.0, because USB 3.0 will be the standard in a few years. I can't speak to the drive's reliability, but I own two Seagate external hard drives and they have been very reliable.
on June 19, 2015
Bought it a few months ago for $100, works great with the Xbox One and is noticeably faster than the console's hard drive, haven't had any issues and it regularly has the best cost per TB for hard drives
on May 19, 2013
I'm using this drive as a mirror backup on a Windows 8 Pro system. It operates a little differently than the older one of the pair. On the newer one, the drive activity light shows activity sooner on boot and during backups, but that might be related to the USB 3.0 card I am using. It was simple to set up and showed full capacity without and further tweaking so Seagate has made the setup simpler. All in all, a fast low cost backup solution that I would give 5 stars out of 5!
on March 23, 2014
Didn't need any special software; easy copy+paste for what little I need to backup. Really just bought it since I recently had a laptop die and wanted something for security. I don't need it for anything heavy-duty, but the fact I have so much space is nice. The USB cable was long enough. Only reason I didn't rate it perfect was that I'd prefer not to have to plug it into an electrical socket since I have little room near the computer.
on December 20, 2012
The item's packaging is well designed. The clear shrink wrap protects the tightly packed paper box from water or moisture damage. Inside, plastic wrap further protects external hard drive. Also included are one 100-240V 50/60 Hz AC power supply for a North American wall outlet, and one USB 3.0 cable. The item was shipped in Amazon's standard corrugate brown box with paper cushion, which provides adequate protection and privacy.

Once plugged in, the notebook computer, running Windows XP, takes about 5 seconds to recognize the drive. The usb 3.0 cable is compatible with my USB 2.0 outlet on the computer. A gentle click indicates the drive starts. A little blue light means it's on. The noise level is almost undetectable, even when my notebook is off. Very little heat come from the drive. After 8 hours of continuous running, it feels comfortably warm to the touch on the top surface. The drive is quiet and fast, certainly compared to my Maxtor 200 GB external drive and slightly to the Iomega 1TB external drive both connected to my desktop, running Windows Vista. I am quite happy with this purchase. For moderate home data and media backup purpose, this drive is plenty. It does what it's supposed to. No surprise, good or bad. I give it 4 stars out of 5.