5.0 out of 5 stars Another Excellent Mark Knopfler Album
I've been a fan of Mark Knopfler's music since I first heard Sultans of Swing on the radio and immediately ran out and bought the first Dire Straights album back in 1978 or 1979.

Published 22 months ago by Mark Anderson

3.0 out of 5 stars Privateering
Published 21 months ago by Catherine E. Dalgarno

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Excellent Mark Knopfler Album, Sept. 11 2012
Mark Anderson (Victoria, BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Privateering (Audio CD)

I've bought several Mark Knopfler albums through Amazon over the years so Amazon's marketing sent me an email about this one before it was released. I pre-ordered this one before the release date and it just arrived. It's currently on its first run through my CD player.

On the first play through I can say with certainty that this album is up to Mark Knopfler's usual high standards. With a few exceptions, it's definitely on the mellow side but Knopfler has a real talent for doing this kind of material and that talent shines through here.

Bottom line: another excellent Mark Knopfler album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Musical Excellence once again., Sept. 13 2012
This review is from: Privateering (Audio CD)
Being a long time Mark Knopfler fan going back to 1979 when `Sultans of Swing' first hit the airwaves, I was very happy to receive this double album opus. In my opinion Knopfler reached a peak with his last album `Get Lucky' and I wasn't sure this album could hold up to that one. But I was wrong. It may not surpass his last album but it certainly reaches the same level of excellence in artistry, creativity and pure musical genius. It is a joy to listen to his music especially when you compare it to the garbage on the radio these days. Most of which makes me gag. It is so sad that many people the world over will never experience music such as this because it just has not been made available to them. Instead they think great music comes from acts like Britney Spears and Justin Bieber because unfortunately those are the ones that get all the airplay and attention. What a sick world we live in.

Knopfler's music is very complex and demands multiple listenings before you can digest it all. I just love the fusion of celtic, country & rock. The lyrics tell you a story or experience and make you think. Some of his songs are from another time and place. But not so remote that you can't relate to them on a human level. His use of the guitar is very original as he allows the instrument to `talk' or evoke emotion - from happiness & joy to sadness & grief. I can't praise this man enough. He seems to be getting better with age. Every time a new release comes around I don't hesitate to buy it with no regrets ever. I feel he has really hit his stride since `Kill to Get Crimson', `Get Lucky' and now `Privateering". I also loved the album `All the Road Running' with Emmylou Harris. It contains some outstanding songs. I only hope there will be many more albums from Mark Knopfler in the future!!! They are all masterpieces.

I do have one deep regret & that is that my mother is not here to enjoy his best albums. She discovered Knopfler when she was in her 70's and developed an awe for the man that I had not seen her have for any other musical artist. And she admired many. She read whatever books she could find on him or Dire Straits, watched & listened to his concert tapes & albums and even attended his concert in 2005. If that isn't a testament to the greatness of this artist I don't know what is. She did not have any musical training or education but she knew what she heard was real music of quality and substance. That's why listening to his newer albums is bittersweet for me as she passed away in 2008.

I will end by saying if you appreciate fine music this album will not disappoint you. There are some really beaufiful songs ( Redbud Tree; Go Love; Kingdom of Gold) with clever lyrics (Corned Beef City) that will enlighten you along with catchy & innovative guitar riffs throughout. Of all the 20 songs there isn't one you could call weak or filler. The title song "Privateering" is just amazing. Great stuff!

Keep in mind that this man has been making great music for almost 35 years and is very underrated IMHO. That's because he doesn't use gimmicks or court the spotlight but is a solid musician and gifted songwriter. Hopefully one day he will gain the recognition he truly deserves.

3.0 out of 5 stars Privateering, Oct. 24 2012
Catherine E. Dalgarno - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Privateering (Vinyl) (LP Record)
Just listened to Mark Knopfler's new album on vinyl. No surprises here. Mark has slowed down the tempo. There are no swinging songs on this record. His voice is strong and mellow. Some songs sound like a blend of John Lee Hooker, and J.J. Cale with Mark blended in. This album sounds more folk like with a blues beat at times. Few of the songs stand out and the music is good to relax to or eat dinner to. A must for Mark lovers. Not his best, but worth a listen to.

4.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what you expect from Mark Knoplfer, Sept. 7 2012
Karan Makvandi (Toronto, Ontario) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Privateering (Audio CD)
This album is second coming of his earlier masterpiece 'On Every Street'. No more super mellow stuff like last two albums.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heartbreakling Beautiful!, March 1 2013
This review is from: Privateering (Audio CD)
How does he do it? Touring writing and producing?
I'm treating this C.D. like ice-cream try not to listen to it too often.. it is just that special.
I love the song Little Bluebird, Corned Beef City and Blood And Water the best now..
The mix of Southern Blues and Celtic music is fab. He uses imagery and metaphone in his lyrics to paint beautiful pictures! Gorgeous C.D. can you tell I like it a lot?? LOL

5.0 out of 5 stars That is art, Dec 7 2012
This review is from: Privateering (Vinyl) (LP Record)
Song after song, scene after scene, story after story - Mark Knopfler is better than ever. I have it for more than a month now, and still I spin at least one of the four sides every day. And it does not matter what kind of the music you are fan of; this album is so much more than just a few superbly recorded songs. Like a reading a great collection of short stories which you can't put down: long after the last notes decay, you wonder and think about those stories. That is art.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, June 28 2014
This review is from: Privateering (Deluxe) (Audio CD)
Great stuff! If you're a Knopfler fan you need this set.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, May 16 2014
This review is from: Privateering (Audio CD)
It's Mark Knopfler. The man and his talent age like fine wine. Nothing more needs to be said. Highly recommended to Dire Straits fans, or to fans of fantastic, well thought out, brilliant music.

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm glad i bought it., Dec 27 2013
This review is from: Privateering (Audio CD)
Enjoyed this album alot. I have a Knopfler fan for years so my review has a pre existing bias. The music is excellent and struck me as natural not forced or hit seeking.
I have always been touched by Mark's lyrics over his career. This album is no different. Loss, longing, desparation, joy, nostalgia and drinkin'. I find I have always been inspired to research or read on at least one topic after listening to an MK album. (Sonny Liston, Barbary Coast, collier history, Mason Dixon...) That on its own is enough to keep me coming back for more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, Oct. 28 2013
This review is from: Privateering (Audio CD)
Great for playing in the car on long road trips. What more can I say? Excellent! just what you'd expect from Mark Knopfler and friends.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Privateering
Privateering by Mark Knopfler (Audio CD - 2012)