5.0 out of 5 stars Finally
All I've been wanting for years was a version of E.T. that was on DVD and was not the modified one with all the crap CGI, and this is it. Sure it comes with both versions, but I prefer the untampered one. Also, E.T. is an amazing movie.
Published on Jan. 26 2011 by Stevo

1.0 out of 5 stars Where is the REAL "E.T.", as seen in 1982??
Why on earth is the ORIGINAL version of thi film not on this DVD? I was greatly dismayed by the absurd changes made to this brilliant and unforgettable film for its recent theatrical reissue--I would have hoped that all the negative audience response would have at least ensured a first-class release of the original theatrical cut on this new DVD...WRONG! Bad choice by...
Published on July 19 2002 by Robert J. Ramos

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, Jan. 26 2011
Stevo (Lethbridge, Alberta) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars The most loveable alien ever!, Aug. 6 2011
E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial
I had been searching for a long time for this movie to show to my 6 year old grandson, and was excited to find it on Amazon.ca. And it didn't disappoint - my grandson laughed through most of the DVD and wants to watch it again. It is a nice change to find a wholesome movie that a child can watch and which can be equally enjoyed by adults. When my children were young they loved this film, and it hasn't lost it's magic over the years!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent original and special edition movies, Dec 14 2010
Kevin Barton (Whitby, ON Canada) - See all my reviews
These movies are excellent to watch in both the original and special edition re-release versions. I love them so much because it is worth getting them even on blu-ray.

5.0 out of 5 stars a high quality blast from the past!, Jan. 29 2010
Lori Will (Canada) - See all my reviews
My children, 7 and 5, enjoyed the film very much. They have watched it a few times since!

5.0 out of 5 stars this movie has no other word to describe it...Fantastic!!, March 10 2007
this movie has always been my favorite. I started watching this movie as a young kid. I now own the DVD and watch it non-stop. I am amazed by the special effects and how it was directed. I am a big fan of Steven Spielberg and I must say this is one of his best movies ever!

5.0 out of 5 stars Heartwrenching and touching..a real teary eyed experience!, Aug. 2 2006
I saw this movie in my school gymnasium when it was first released. All my teachers in the school knew that E.T. would be an especially good film that the entire school should watch. So everyone from Junior kindergarden to grade 8 was piled in to see this magical film. At the time i was in J.K. All i can remember from that day was crying uncontrollably. I knew i missed a lot of the film due to my frequent running to the bathroom for more kleenexes. Well, i just bought the collector series DVD recently thinking now i can finally watch the entire movie. Did you know i still ran frequently to the bathroom for more kleenexes?

This movie is a masterpiece. It tugs at your heartstrings and makes you examine your feelings on a visceral level. For me, E.T. was my first experience with the prospect of dying. Because he was so kind and lovable to see him lying in a ravine near death was hard to watch. I think this is a great first movie for kids to be introduced to difficult topics like death and rebirth. Even as an adult it made me examine my relationships and how i relate to the people in my life. It's a movie about self discovery and acceptance of things that may not be in your realm of understanding but deserve the same amount of compassion as anyone else.

E.T. is a wonderful alien that shows human children the meaning of love and acceptance despite outward appearances. That is a lesson worth remembering for young and old alike.

I would shout out to the mountains, down to the valleys, and into outerspace if i could. But please take a look at this movie once and you'll love it forever. A definite keeper and its not dated in the 1980s. You can watch this movie and feel as if it was just recently released. The digital remastering is superb and the acting is tremendously good. Watch it you won't regret it! A definite add on to your movie library.

5.0 out of 5 stars Steven Spieldberg's Masterpiece, May 3 2004
Ryne Williams (Cleveland, TN USA) - See all my reviews
E.T. is one of the greatest films of all time. It takes you by surprise. You feel everything E.T. is feeling. After the movie, it shocks you that you found heart and compassion from something that looks like a mud sculpture. E.T. also has some of the greatest performances from child actors than in any other movie. In this film, we see little Drew Barrymore making a stellar breakout performance as the little sister of Elliot in the film. The new 20th Anniversary of E.T. special edition definately is better than the original cut. The effects sparkle like never before. The DVD is a wonderful thing to add to anyone's DVD collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Movie, April 30 2004
I'm so glad this movie is fimally on DVD. I loved it when I first saw it as a child. I hadn't seen it in several years and loved watching it again when I bought the DVD. I'm glad I now have a copy to share with my children.

5.0 out of 5 stars ABSOLUTELY TIMELESS!, Feb. 5 2004
Michael J. Chrush (Kent, WA United States) - See all my reviews
I will always remember Steven Spielberg hosting interviews during documentaries of his life detailing stories of himself being misunderstood as a child, which says in a nutshell a passage in life all of us can relate to. So it was his inspiration to transfer that simple idea into such an unforgettable film as E.T. THE EXTRA TERRESTRIAL. Melissa Matheson's screenplay is among one of the most remarkable achievements ever accomplished in cinema history. It is so simple and yet so compelling. The story of young Elliott who is a simple boy from Elementary School, longing for companionship with the separation of his parents. He lives with his Mother Mary (Dee Wallace Stone in one of her very first), older brother Michael (Robert Macnaughton), and younger sister Gertie (7-year old Drew Barrymore). One day he gets the shock of his life when an alien from outer space crash lands on Earth to pay him a visit he will never forget.
So simple, and yet so compelling. As such it is a story for the audience to never forget. Steven Spielberg has been an inspiration for future filmmakers to come, and perhaps will always be remembered for such films as the INDIANA JONES trilogies, SCHINDLER'S LIST, and the many other films to follow. That is the reason I think E.T. is easy to become forgotten about every now and then because in today's film culture it becomes so simple to neglect the subleties invigorated into crafting such films that inspire others and take inspiration from simple ideas everyone can relate to.
There is humor and drama aplenty, Elliott showing E.T. simple things such as Star Wars action figures, watching television, or moments while away at school while E.T. finds his way around the house, Elliott begans hallucinating into his very thoughts. So their personalities become combined as one. It weaves the theme of being protective and caring as friends, as Elliott vows to protect E.T. from the government officials and safe from sunlight. The DVD is a real treat as it includes such delights as:
Production notes
A special introduction by Steven Spielberg
Live performance of John Williams' 2002 orchestra
Space Explorations
The original 1982 and enhanced 2002 versions
"Spotlight on Location" featurette
The Reunion: The cast and filmmakers discuss the impact of the films
The Evolution and Creation of ET: hundreds of production photographs, conceptual drawings and original advertising in an interactive environment
DVD-ROM features with Total Axess includes behind-the-scenes footage, interviews, and more
Widescreen anamorphic format
Such an extraordinary film to date and even more so because it helped launch the careers' of many famous faces today not only Drew Barrymore, but C. Thomas Howell, and for those of you unfamiliar with movie trivia - that's 13 year old Erika Eleniak playing the girl in class Elliott can't take his eyes off. A sure winner - which should never be forgotten! Why aren't there more like this?

5.0 out of 5 stars A five star movie and a five star 2 DVD set!!!, Jan. 8 2004
Jason P. Pumphrey "the movie & music man" (Falls Church, Virginia United States) - See all my reviews
This 2 DVD E.T. set is a real treat!!! You get 2 versions of the film:Original Theatricl and the 2002 Version,and cool extras!!! A top notch package!!! A classic family film!!!Great for E.T. fans!!! Two thumbs up!!! Five stars!!! A+

ARRAY(0xa7a37b28)