5.0 out of 5 stars Great book
Published on Nov. 18 2012 by Pierre Forsythe

3.0 out of 5 stars Good to read another Rebus mystery
Really enjoyed reading another Rebus mystery. The scene in this one is so wonderfully described you can smell the forest and sea air. The mystery itself was a little flat.
Published 13 months ago by Jason Neustaeter

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, Nov. 18 2012
Pierre Forsythe (Toronto Canada) - See all my reviews
I almost decided to forgo buying this book. I am a big fan of Rebus but my dislike for Malcolm Fox matched it. Thankfully and no thanks, to the impression given in the description, there is very very little of Fox's character in this book. What a great story and I can't express how happy I am that Rebus is back. If you are like me and are concerned that Fox would be interacting with Rebus throughout the book, I am here to tell you that he is not. Buy the book, black out any mention of Fox, and you will get a lot more than your moneys worth in quality writing. Thank you Rankin, I missed him.

4.0 out of 5 stars Rebus to the Rescue, June 11 2013
Ian Gordon Malcomson (Victoria, BC) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Detective Inspector John Rebus has returned from a lengthy sabbatical, just in time to take up a baffling missing person's case in the misty hollows of the Scottish Highlands just outside of Inverness. Not everyone in CID is glad to see him back because they remember all to well that Rebus is his own boss and does not suffer fools gladly. While he takes on a cold case of a woman who has gone missing for years, his detective's nose takes in another ominous direction. While querying people about what they recall about this young woman's whereabouts, Rebus is about to discover that life can become dangerously complicated in a hurry, especially when one drives along the A9 into the mysterious haunts of an uninviting copse land in search of clues to the remains of the dead. I liked this novel because, once again, Rankin portrays his hero as someone who is not afraid to be offside when searching for the truth wherever it takes him. When reading Rankin, whether it be the first time or one of many times, be prepared for some very curious procedural innovations that show Rebus at his best when getting the bad guys to do his dirty work. His keen sense tells him that there has to be a reason why more and more women are going missing, and the answer probably lies within the local constabulary dating back a few years. Of course, he will have help but it is often the variety that only gets in the way of taking risks and getting results regardless of protocol. In the end, Rebus, as the canny old detective, wins out because he patiently and tirelessly lets the evidence take him where it must.

5.0 out of 5 stars Welcome back Rebus, Dec 15 2012
Welcome back Rebus and Big Ger! Malcolm Fox is a great character as are the other boys from the Complaints Department but they are nowhere near as good as Rebus and his crowd. I hope that Rankin will not "kill off" the Rebus crowd just yet!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best..., Dec 1 2012
So glad to see Ian Rankin still has it in spades. One of the best from him in a while. More please!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read, not Ian Rankin's best, Dec 6 2014
C. Richards - See all my reviews
Good read, not Ian Rankin's best, but a good set up for a cold case thriller. I saw the end coming about half way through the book, so that was disappointing. But I love Rebus and Siobhan, so was happy to enjoy an easy read. Lost the 5th star because I thought the culprit was a tossed in solution instead of integrated into the story, and because it put Malcolm Fox in a negative light (I like the Fox books a lot).

5.0 out of 5 stars Rebus is Back, June 28 2014
Shannon Moeser (Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Rebus is back, and Ian Rankin is at the top of his game. What more is there to say, except this is one you should not miss. Great characterization. Great plot. Great writing. (Written Nov 11, 2012 - Amazon misplaced my first review)

5.0 out of 5 stars Yay! Rebus is back!, Jan. 24 2014
Ian Rankin in top form as always. The narrative captured me in the first few pages and held me there! Being born in Scotland and familiar with many of the places mentioned in the book just added to my enjoyment and I could "see" these places in my minds eye as he drove up and down the A9 and elsewhere! Detective fiction of the highest standard; something we have come to expect from such an amazing writer!

5.0 out of 5 stars STANDING IN ANOTHER MAN's GRAVE, Jan. 22 2014
I love Ian Rankin s writing, especially now that Rebus is back. You can follow him around Scotland as if you were there.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good to read another Rebus mystery, Nov. 12 2013
Jason Neustaeter (Beaumont, Alberta, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Standing in Another Man's Grave: A John Rebus Novel (Inspector Rebus) (Kindle Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars Rebus is back, Oct. 28 2013
T. Czyczko - See all my reviews
What else can one say? Rebus, Siobhan, Fox, Big Ger. Always waiting for the new Rankin the second I finish the latest.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›