5.0 out of 5 stars This ain't your childhood's Snow White
Published on July 3 2012 by koolz03

3.0 out of 5 stars Raveena eclipses the rest
I was glad I bought this at a discounted price as I did not feel it was a great movie. It is an interesting spin on the Snow White and Seven Dwarves story. Snow White and the Huntsman characters did not seem to have much depth. Definitely the evil queen's performance stood out.
Published 7 months ago by Tony W. Leung

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars This ain't your childhood's Snow White, July 3 2012
koolz03 - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Snow White & the Huntsman (Extended Edition) [Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy] (Bilingual) (Blu-ray)
I was nervous going into this retelling of Snow White given the spilt reviews. After seeing it for myself I can say it's a worthy retelling of the legendary tale. Kristen Stewart, in my opinion, was a great Snow White. I feel like Kristen will be forever tainted as a terrible actress by viewers because of her role in the Twilight Saga which is very unfortunate. I believe she will win an Oscar sometime in her life. Charlize Theron was an even better Evil Queen. But like many other people have noted, her performance is a little over dramatic at times and I couldn't help but giggle (yes, giggle) at her extremeness. Chris Hemsworth did great in his role as the Huntsman and I didn't see any resemblance to Thor in his performance. The film barely dragged in the middle.
On a side note, Mirror Mirror sucked donkey balls.

5.0 out of 5 stars Snow White and The Huntsmen: Extended Edition (blu ray)…immaculate, perfect video/audio presentation!, Sept. 12 2012
Dr. Joseph Lee (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (#1 HALL OF FAME)    (REAL NAME)
VIDEO:

Snow White and The Huntsmen arrives at blu ray with MPEG-4 AVC 1080p 2.35:1 encode. This magnificent transfer stands as a stunning testament to the most enchanting aspects of the film: director Rupert Sanders' dark fairy tale aesthetic, Greig Fraser's seductive cinematography and Cedric Nicolas-Troyan's visual effects. Colours are gorgeous, dripping with bewitching reds, ornate golds and bronzes, chilling grays and charcoals, and fittingly ominous inky blacks. Details are jaw-dropping. Edges are sharp, perfectly defined and, perhaps most importantly, free of troublesome ringing. Fine textures are revelatory, showcasing every inch and seam of Colleen Atwood's costumes, every smudge of dirt and errant hair on Snow White's head, and every one of the Huntsman's scrapes, scars and bits of stubble. The Extended Cut has 4 more minutes than the Theatrical Cut. (5/5)

AUDIO:

This DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 lossless track equals to the video quality in excellence. Directionality is convincing and precise, pans are smooth as silk, and dynamics are incredibly polished and refined. The soundfield is immersive and enveloping, giving a very realistic presentation of the action in the movie. Dialogue is clear, precise and perfectly balanced. Indeed, this soundtrack is as good as it looks. (5/5)

MOVIE:

Snow White and the Huntsmen is the third release in this year’s Snow White-a-rama movie battle. The first one was direct-to-video’s Grimm’s Snow White in March 2012, which I saw on local TV. The second was Mirror Mirror. (reviewed elsewhere). Of the three, this release has won the box office championship, grossing over $309 million. It has an estimated budget of $170 million, which contributes to the great video and audio…money well spent!

The cast is solid and outstanding, led by Kristen Stewart as Snow White, the ever so beautiful Charlize Theron, a standout as the very disturbing Ravenna and the handsome Chris Hemsworth as Eric, the Huntsman. (movie: 4/5)

TRIVIA:

During filming Kristen Stewart accidentally punched co-star Chris Hemsworth in the face giving him a black eye.

Production of the film was temporarily shut down in October 2011 after Kristen Stewart tore a ligament in her thumb during an attack scene with the dwarves. Stewart also suffered from a foot injury sustained on set.

Kristen Stewart admitted while filming the fight scenes that she had to overcome a fear of horses dating back to a mishap at nine-years-old in which she sustained a fractured elbow.
Lily Collins auditioned for the lead role but lost to Kristen Stewart. She was later cast in the other Snow White movie, Mirror Mirror.

Director Rupert Sanders' insistence on realism in scale meant minimal miniature model work. The huge castle in the enchanted forest, for example, took 6 months to construct. The gigantic trebuchet, consisting of a metal skeleton interior and wooden exterior, weighed 6.5 tonnes. This spending partially contributed to the high budget, but the result was outstanding realism.

FINAL THOUGHTS:

After watching Mirror Mirror, I find that Snow White and the Huntsmen is the best of this year’s Snow White releases. In this blu ray release, an extended version is included. Both the video and audio are simply majestic and glorious: the video filling up my entire 12 foot wide screen (using anamorphic lens) while the top notched audio roared from my nine Wilson WATT/Puppy speakers. This was a very gratifying and enjoyable experience. This set is highly recommended.

I hope the above review is helpful to you

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 3 2014
Gabriel Daniel (Montreal, Quebec, Canada) - See all my reviews
Très bon service et produit.
Merci,
Gabriel Daniel

2.0 out of 5 stars Worst Blu-Ray menus ever, May 13 2014
Martin Landry (Eastern Ontario) - See all my reviews
Let me begin by saying that I found the movie far better than I expected, I had heard so many bad things about it that I expected far worse, and that is why I gave it TWO stars. I received this set as a gift, and I regret that I didn't buy it myself because I would have happily returned it. The reason this disk set deserves a poor rating is because it is the absolute worse Blu-Ray design I have ever seen. I watched this movie over the space of two days, because of external interruptions, and had to watch all of the previews FIVE ****ING TIMES! As soon as you stop the movie FOR ANY REASON, THE MOVIE STARTS OVER AT THE BEGINNING!!! If I ever see the ET preview again I'll scream, having to watch it five times in two days is just torture! "One of the most beloved movies of all time...", I can still hear it echoing in my brain... I hate menu systems that won't let you skip the previews to go to the main menu, and even more menu systems that hold you hostage. Top Menu, Main Menu, Options, this disk BLOCKS THEM ALL, FORCING YOU TO WATCH ALL OF THE ****ING PREVIEWS AND ADDS! My Sony Blu-Ray player is two years old and not connected to the internet, and this Blu-Ray disk wants you to download a Blu-Ray app which I did not do. I own several hundred DVDs and Blu-Ray disks and I have never seen this behaviour before; most of them remember where I was in the movie even if I take out the disk and put it back in a week later (my son does this constantly with "Ponyo".) This one, however, the phone rang, I paused it, the call lasted long enough for the player to go into standby, and when I hit play it's all of the ****ING PREVIEWS ALL OVER AGAIN! The disk claims to offer all sorts of new features but it can't even do the basics! In the future I am going to keep an eye out for the Universal BDLive disks and avoid them, if they can't even do such a basic function as restart from where you left off. Come on Universal, I know you want to track how many times I watch the movie, but I have a five year old and I'm not going to let him loose on your "free previews" site. If you can't get the basics right, why should I even try your add-financed app?
Conclusion, I would rate the movie three and a half (rounded up to four) stars, but the disk experience overall deserves a flat zero.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better the Second Time, Jan. 3 2014
watched it once wasn't too into it but I thought I'd give it another try a couple months later and I surprisingly REALLY liked it for some reason, give it a try, you won't regret it!

5.0 out of 5 stars A good Adaptation., Jan. 2 2014
From the first viewing of this movie I knew I would get a copy.
I waited for a good price.
This is a really good adaptation of the classic fairy tale.

3.0 out of 5 stars Raveena eclipses the rest, Dec 15 2013
Tony W. Leung (Canada) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Great movie!, Nov. 22 2013
I saw this movie in theatre and loved it! I knew I had to own it on disc in our movie library.

3.0 out of 5 stars Deprived as a child Ravenna just wants what everyone else wants, Nov. 9 2013
bernie "xyzzy" (Arlington, Texas) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
In past movies we have seen several different off takes form the original Snow White story. Each has its strengths. And as with Shakespeare each generation of contemporary actors have to try their hand at it. We have seen the cartoon version and even vicious witches and giant midget versions. This version displays the advances in CGI and loud noise between the dialogs forcing you to keep your finger on the volume control.

In this story we see Ravenna (Charlize Theron) was deprived as a child. Her mother told her that you can have everything if you just maintain your beauty. She strives to have it all by overcompensating and in the process a few people will have to be dispatched and others suffer their own depravation, oops deprivation.

Ravenna needs to obtain Snow White's heart to maintain that cute smirk. But for some reason Snow White (Kristen Stewart) prefers to keep her own heart right where it is and escapes with it to the black forest. Ravenna sends a forest savvy huntsman (Chris Hemsworth) to bring back Snow White. Confronted with Snow's demise the huntsman becomes her ally in recovering her kingdom from its usurper.

We as viewers have to decide just whose side we are on. Even Snow feels sorry that she cannot share her heart.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great story, Sept. 25 2013
I chose tis because the story was awesome. There was nothing I didn't like. I would recommend it to my friends.

Thanks Dawn