summer boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout Furniture All-New Kindle sports Tools

Format: Blu-ray|Change

TOP 50 REVIEWERon November 9, 2013
First I have to confess that I have not read the book. This is not my preferred genre for reading.

The film however deserves a viewing as it does rings around what could have been a Hallmark movie. This was formula enough to pretty much guess the complete film from the early beginning. However I suspect the draw is the character interaction and not a mystery or action. All the actors were good in their parts and very believable. I thought Blythe Danner was exceptional.

Basic story is of a marine Vet, on his third tour of duty in Iraq; Sgt. Logan Thibault (Zac Efron) finds a picture during the war. He believes this is his good luck charm and is determined to fine the person behind the smile in the picture that he owes his life to. He finds more than he bargained for. Did he fine more than he could handle?
I love a good chick flick, and this one did not disappoint me. In fact, Zac Effron exceeded my expectations. I thought the female lead looked a bit old next to Effron (even though she's only a couple of years older in real life, he's just got a youthful look that made her look older than she actually is) but their chemistry was very good and I quickly forgot that I thought she was too old once the movie got going. :) The rest of the cast was good too... I liked Nana and Ben a lot.

I saw this movie having never read a Nicholas Sparks book and having had a mixed reaction to previous movie adaptations of his work. (I really enjoyed "The Notebook" but didn't care for "Dear John" and "The Last Song", among others.) I enjoyed it so much that I went and read the book afterwards. I think it was much better for me to watch the movie FIRST and then read the book SECOND because I loved them both this way. If I'd read the book first, I would have been annoyed at some of the things they changed in the movie... I don't think it would have ruined the movie but I think I wouldn't have loved it quite as much, and I would have had a harder time with some of the casting choices.

I would buy this movie to add to my romantic chick flick collection.
This is an Improbable chick flick. Logan (Zac Efron) didn't die in Iraq, like most of his unit. He credits a picture of a blond he found in the rubble for his survival. When he returns home, he is a bit jumpy and decides to walk from Colorado to Louisiana to locate the girl(Taylor Schilling) in the picture. As it turns out, she, Beth, runs a kennel and before he can say anything to her, he is hired by "grandmother" (Blythe Danner) to be a helping hand. She has taken a shine to Logan while Beth thinks he is crazy. Beth also has a son (Riley Thomas Stewart). She has trouble dealing with the death of her brother in Iraq, who she feels died for no reason. The local sheriff (Jay R. Ferguson) is the father of Beth's child and he has some testosterone problems. The sheriff is more how young men really are: jealous, controlling, manipulative. Logan is how women want them to be.

My "chick flick" detector went off when I saw the movie poster. You wait for him to tell her about the photo...which would have been better if she said, "That's not me, you have the wrong girl." At which point he packs up and leaves, but they opted not to do it my way. This is a romance novel brought to the screen. The man is handsome, fit, intelligent, understanding, a good father, musically inclined, dances, fixes things up around the house, no vices, and a knight who protects his lady...not to mention the final soul mate connection. It hurt my brain to watch it, but the women seemed to love this fantasy.

The film was well made and acted. Good music score. But it wasn't my cup of tea. I will go 4 stars based on other people's reaction and not my own. If you love romance novels, this is your book come to life.

No f-bombs, no nudity, some love scenes. Is Zac Efron the new Fabio?
on November 21, 2012
Good video movie to watch at home. Not worth the price of a movir ticket. But it is worth the price of a second hand video.
on January 8, 2014
This is a very good love story. I love the soldier part of the story. It's very touching and defiantly a chick flick. :)
on January 15, 2015
the true meaning of being your brothers keeper especially when he spends time with young fella in convincing him to play in front of the church. him being a marine demonstrating what a true man is all about. another great movie for my collection.
on November 1, 2014
It is my fav. movie & I can't say how many times I have seen it, except that I can say all their lines along with them!!
What I couldn't believe was how quickly I received it, less than 2 days after ordering it>>so thank you!!
on December 18, 2012
its a great movie but the amazon description was wrong. Said blu-ray + dvd + digital copy 2 discs but seemed to ONLY be the blue-ray. Picture was correct.

Will return and update the info, but just wanted to let others know.
on September 9, 2015
If you are a romantic, then this movie is a must see. Zak Enfron and Taylor Schilling do a fantastic job of bringing this story to life. It's one of my favourites to watch on a snowy or rainy day or anytime.
on October 17, 2012
This is an amazing movie a must own movie to have in your personal collection - this will be come a timeless collection
very well done

i also read the book which was also a wonderful read