VIDEO (2D):

Published 18 months ago by Dr. Joseph Lee

3.0 out of 5 stars Meet your makers
"Prometheus" is an ambitious movie -- it wants to answer (in a sci-fi way) the questions that have haunted humanity for eons.

And... it doesn't. This sorta-kinda-maybe prequel to the "Alien" franchise raises a lot of scientific/philosophical questions and never really answers them. But if you can bypass that, it's still a very solid, harrowing...
Published 1 month ago by E. A Solinas

5.0 out of 5 stars Prometheus (2D) blu ray combo…another masterpiece from Ridley Scott with top-notched audio/video transfer!, Oct. 9 2012
Dr. Joseph Lee (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (#1 HALL OF FAME)    (REAL NAME)
VIDEO (2D):

Prometheus arrives at blu ray with MPEG-4 AVC 1080p 2.40:1 encode. This transfer is simply stunning. Using Red Epic digital cameras mounted to 3ality Technica Atom 3D rigs, the film was shot almost entirely on Pinewood Studio's famed—and enormous—007 lot, allowing Ridley Scott and cinematographer Dariusz Wolski complete control over the lighting of the magnificently detailed sets. The combination of a great camera system, high-quality Zeiss lenses, and precise manipulation of the direction and degree of light makes for an image that is terrifically sharp. The level of clarity is exemplary for a live-action film. Fine detail is ever-present in the textures of the actors' faces, the fabric of their clothing, and the intricacies of the props and set design. The film's distinct colour palette is also outstanding, including the inky depths of the pyramid, the yellow LED lights inside the explorers' helmets, the cool fluorescence inside Prometheus, the spatters of blood. (5/5)

AUDIO:

Prometheus’s DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio lossless track is spectacular, like the video. From start to finish, it delivers room-quaking dynamics, pristine clarity, and polished, realistic, puts-you-right-in-the-middle-of-the-action sound design. From the opening scene on the barren planet Earth we get deep sub-woofer engagement, the lapping, crashing, and bubbling of a massive waterfall, and the thunderous rumble of an alien ship overhead. The sense of all-surrounding immersion puts you right in the middle of the action. The actors' voices, which—besides being well-balanced and easily understood—always reflect the acoustics of their surroundings, flatter aboard the ship, slightly muffled inside their helmets, echoing and wet inside the pyramid. All this is backed up by Marc Streitenfeld's enormous-sounding orchestral score, which alternates between quiet uneasiness and sheer bombast. (5/5)

MOVIE:

A team of scientists travels through the universe on the spaceship "Prometheus" on a voyage to investigate alien life forms. The team of scientists becomes stranded on an Alien world, and as they struggle to survive it becomes clear that the horrors they experience are not just a threat to themselves, but to all of mankind. At the end of the movie, Dr. Elizabeth Shaw and David went to investigate the origin of life and why our Maker changed His mind to destroy mankind. Do I smell a sequel to this prequel coming? After checking some websites, my hunch is correct. Prometheus 2 is in early discussion with return of Noomi Rapace and robot David
(movie 4.5/5)

TRIVIA:

Prometheus has an estimated budget of $130 million, but grossed $302 million worldwide.

Prometheus was originally conceived as a prequel to Ridley Scott's Alien, but Scott announced his decision to turn it into an original film. Some time later it was confirmed that while the movie would take place in the same universe as Alien and greatly reference that movie, it would mostly be an original movie and not a direct prequel.

Director Ridley Scott named the film Prometheus, seeing the name aptly fit the film's themes: "It's the story of creation; the gods and the man who stood against them." In Greek mythology, the Titan Prometheus was a servant of the gods, who stole and gave to mankind the gift of fire, an immeasurable benefit that changed the human race forever (for better AND worse).

Did you know that the androids' names in the Alien films follow an alphabetical pattern: in Alien it's Ash, in Aliens and Alien³ it's Bishop, in Alien: Resurrection it's Call and in this film it's David.

OTHER THOUGHTS:

Being an experienced obstetrician, I thought I was pretty fast in doing a Caesarian section: from skin to skin in 10 minutes. But in this movie, the robot beat me by a whopping 9 minutes. Wow! What more can I say!

FINAL THOUGHTS:

Any movie directed by Ridley Scott or starring Charlize Theron is good enough for me. Our heroine Noomi Rapace (as Dr. Elizabeth Shaw) is also outstanding. Plus, it has top-notched audio/video. It will be grouped next to my Alien Anthology box set. At $24.99, this is of great value. Get it before the price will definitely be going up. Of course, it is highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars See it now in IMAX/3D and buy the Blu-ray when it's released, June 21 2012
Steven Aldersley (Oshawa, Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I've had the pleasure of seeing Prometheus twice. The first occasion was my first exposure to IMAX/3D and it was easily the best presentation I have ever seen in a theater. That prompted me to share the experience with two UK friends who were in town for my 50th birthday. Yes, I'm old.

The most difficult thing to overcome when reviewing Prometheus is separating the incredible presentation from the story. Should I review the experience, or just the movie itself? I have chosen to comment on both elements.

The opening shots immediately draw you in and establish that you are about to witness something special in terms of presentation. As the camera pans over the surface of a moon, you are part of the experience. As with Avatar, you are transported to a different world. The first shot of the ship is also effective, with the roar of the engines. Kubrick would probably turn over in his grave at the technical error of portraying sound in space, but it does add something for the viewer.

Prometheus is quite ambitious. It does a good job of explaining some of the events that led up to the mission in Alien. We are shown some of the discoveries which prompted the Weyland Corporation to explore deep space. A crew is sent to search for an incredible secret, which I won't reveal here. Unlike other films in the Alien franchise, the presence of an android is explained from the beginning. David (Fassbender) is accepted for what he is without anything being hidden. The one thing that does remain consistent is that the android knows more than he admits. Where did he get that information?

There is more than one alien species present in Prometheus, plus the humans. The story explains the origin of the type of ship discovered in Alien and we experience a small thrill of recognition. Ridley Scott balances new information with previous events in an effective way. I came away feeling like I knew a lot more about this universe, but I didn't feel that the original film had been betrayed in any way.

It took me several viewings over a number of years to raise my rating for Alien to 4.5/5. Perhaps because I know that film so well, Prometheus had more of an immediate impact. However, there is one thing preventing me from rating the film as highly. The character of Fifield (Sean Harris) is a blatant flaw in the film. He's a British geologist with the personality of an idiotic criminal. He's clearly intended to provide comic relief, and I admit that the audience did laugh at his comments during both viewings, but his inclusion felt so out of place. Up until that point, the film had me fully engaged. The story seemed plausible and interesting. Fifield would never have passed any serious attempt at psychological screening by the Weyland Corporation and would never have become part of the crew in any realistic scenario. His inclusion pulled me right out of the movie as soon as he spoke his opening dialogue. His scenes with Millburn (Rafe Spall) were all ludicrous and I'm forced to deduct half a point just because of their presence.

Everything else worked.

I'm not against the idea of humor in a serious movie. Vickers (Theron) and Janek (Idris Elba) did have an amusing exchange which was handled in a far more intelligent manner. Theron played her part well and her icy personality was believable.

The highlight of the film for me was the unexpectedly wonderful performance from Noomi Rapace. I liked her portrayal of Lisbeth Salander in the original Dragon Tattoo trilogy and was pleasantly surprised to see her tackling a role in English. Like Alien, the movie ends with a fight for survival, and Shaw (Rapace) is the equivalent of Ripley. There's one sequence which made me laugh because it was so outlandish, but Rapace played it totally straight and still had me on the edge of my seat and rooting for her. This will upset some people, but I think she was a more effective character than Sigourney Weaver's Ripley. I like both tremendously, so I guess it doesn't matter.

Prometheus delivers in terms of story, action, and special effects, and most of the acting is good. The conclusion left the possibility of a sequel and I wouldn't be sorry to see that happen. It's always tricky when a franchise is continued after a long absence, but Scott really pulled it off. See it in IMAX/3D while you can and buy the Blu-ray when it is eventually released.

4.0 out of 5 stars Flawed, but well worth seeing for fans of Alien or Sci-Fi, Sept. 23 2012
Steven Aldersley (Oshawa, Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Prometheus: Collector's Edition (Bilingual) [Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy] (Blu-ray)

Everything else worked.

5.0 out of 5 stars Big thing's have small beginnings...., Oct. 18 2012
Prometheus, the long awaited "prequel" to Alien. I quote prequel because can we even call it that? It sure has many things that can be related to Alien, specifically the Weyland Corporation, but it's a movie entirely on it's own.

The movie itself is excellent. The characters, some of them dull, were interesting to watch, and it was almost like the first Alien all over again. The film start's off slow, and when it picks up, it never lets go. It draws you in, with relatable information (which is hard to do in a sci-fi action movie, in my opinion) and it never really lets you breathe. The next scene comes in, and the next, and before you know it, the characters are running for their life. The extended scenes (in the special features tab on the menu) give additional spikes in your hearts beats per minute, that is without the commentary. The scenes that are in the movie don't seem to live up to the extended versions of the scenes, but due to time, makes sense why they cut it out. The movie wasn't as scary as the first Alien, but it was just as disturbing, and more so in my opinion.
The video quality is really good. The scenes I dreaded in the theatre (Med-Pod anyone?) because of people spoiling things for me looked fantastic on the bluray, that is assuming you could actually watch that scene without curling up into fettle position. The bluray looks clear and crisp, and dark scenes are not overly dark, and is well lightened. The 3D presentation is really cool. The bluray and the 3D bluray bundles both being the same price, I don't know why you would pick up the normal version (even if you don't have a 3Dtv, you could build your catalog for when or if you do.) besides the cover art.

The audio is chilling, and it is really something with the surround sound kicked in. The audio presentation is nearly perfect. I don't want to say perfect, because I don't know the "perfect" audio presentation, but if there was one, this would be it.

The special features are extensive, with a 3 and a half hour documentary that covers everything that you need, or want, to know about the production, from the first draft to the movie in your hands.

Overall, the movie is fantastic. The story is a little lopsided, but the video presentation, and the audio presentation, top of expectations. The special features are extensive, and are really interesting to watch. The movie is a definite pick up for fans of the Alien franchise, and I think everyone should pick it up. If you're thinking about picking it up, do it. If you haven't seen it, blind buy it, but remember, there is very disturbing imagary in the film, and is rated R for that very reason!

***** - Phillip

4.0 out of 5 stars Taking back fire might backfire. Theatrical release review, Oct. 13 2012
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)
In Greek Mythology Prometheus presumed to steal fire from the gods for the progress of mankind. He was banished, punished and bound for daring to interfere with domain of the gods.

Similarly the author of Frankentein called her book the modern Prometheus, where a scientist presumed to usurp the very process of creation itself, and created a monster using lightning.

In Prometheus the movie scientist Elizabeth Shaw played by Noomi Rapace, and her partner makes a series of scientific discoveries which shows that we were put here by extraterrestrials, and embark on a funded mission to a distant planet to meet these aliens.

While the scientists aims are pure other people on board have mixed agendas. We have a soulless humanoid played by Michael Fassbender, and a ruthless female leader played by Charlize Theron and the mysterious owner of the company.

Director Ridley Scott directed Alien starring Sigourney Weaver, and I think Prometheus will please fans of Alien and win new fans. Like Alien we have a heroic female protagonist played by Noomi Rapace from the Girl with the Dragon tattoo series. Their arrival on the planet sets in motion a series of events with implications beyond the mission.

While it appears to be a dead planet there is mischief on board the craft and danger on the planet itself.

The alien planet is menacing as you expect, (so rarely do we meet friendly aliens), and if there are alien life forms they may not be friendly.

There are several surprises and some well crafted scenes, which were quite originally done, including the duffel bag, and an improvised medical procedure which I found highly intriguing.

One of my favorite lines from the movie: 'We may have gotten off on the wrong foot.'

I love movies with a strong female protagonist, and Noomi Rapace really excels at this type of role. If you have seen the Alien movies, I think you will appreciate that he has given a style of science fiction that he pioneered a fresh and interesting twist. Who can forget that famous scene with John Hurt in the original Alien?

Will Prometheus spawn a sequel? You could argue that it already has. I cannot speak as yet to how it will be on Blu Ray except to say that it was a visually stunning experience in the theater.

I think most people will love and I trust this was helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent addition to the Alien collection., Nov. 2 2012
A Fan - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I won't bother reviewing the actual movie itself here. Others have done a fine job and there's nothing else I could add to it. This is just a simple praise for the product and packaging.

What you get here is a 4 disc set:

1 3D Blu-ray
1 2D Blu-ray
1 Special Features Blu-ray: It took me 3 nights to get through the exhaustive but captivating documentary and tons of bonus features. It couldn't be any more complete. You even get over 30 different trailers @_@. Excessive but it's all here. My favourite bonus features are Noomi Rapace's screen tests. Not done like other screen tests you've seen.
1 SD DVD with Digital Copy.

And you get all of this for $24.99!!! A friend of mine bought just the DVD the day it came out and paid $19.99. 5 bucks more for this and look at all you get!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great movie and the DVD extra's do not disappoint., Dec 2 2013
I love this movie. Add Prometheus + Alien + Aliens to your collection for a perfect trilogy of "space terror" from a master of the genre.

However, one of the ways in which Prometheus really shines (and does so unexpectedly, considering what most DVD releases offer you) is in the DVD extras. I can honestly say I found them almost as entertaining as the movie itself. The care and attention given to them is obvious: they were intended to complement and enhance the main story and they do this beautifully, making some very clever observations about our society along the way. View the extras in the context of our current knowledge about space exploration, robotics, bio-engineering, and mass surveillance and you will see what I mean. Ridley Scott seeks not only to entertain us, but to issue a warning as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have 3D bluray set, Oct. 15 2012
S. K. L. Ip "Stephen" - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I love almost every scene in the movie, except the parts that have to do with Fifield and Millburn. Fassbender deserves an Oscar for his portrayal of DAVID. I consider Prometheus is the best example of how 3D effects work smoothly and harmoniously with the movie storyline. The 3D bluray set comes with 4 discs with 3D version, regular bluray version, dvd version with digital copy, and special features. I basically spent my entire weekend on watching the movie, then the movie with Ridney Scott commentary, and then almost half a day on the special features. Just the Weyland files in special features deserve extra $10 for the set (and Amazon has nicely cut down the price to $24.99).

4.0 out of 5 stars Taking fire might back-fire, June 14 2012
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)

Similarly the author of Frankentein called it the modern Prometheus, where a scientist presumed to usurp the very process of creation itself, and created a monster.

Director Ridley Scott directed the Aliens series starring Sigourney Weaver, and I think Prometheus will please fans of Aliens and win new fans. Like Aliens we have a heroic female protagonist played by Noomi Rapace from the Girl with the Dragon tattoo series. Their arrival on the planet sets in motion a series of events with implications beyond the mission.

Will Prometheus spawn a sequel? You could argue that it already has.

I think you will enjoy it, and I hope this was helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Taking fire might back-fire Theatrical release review, Sept. 20 2012
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)

I think you will enjoy it, and I hope this was helpful.

ARRAY(0xa5f83b64)