4.0 out of 5 stars Good specs and design but firmware lacking, June 29 2013
Mikofox (Whitehorse, Yukon Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: TP-LINK TL-WDR3600 Wireless N600 Dual Band Router, Gigabit, 2.4GHz 300Mbps+5Ghz 300Mbps, 2 USB port, Wireless On/Off Switch (Personal Computers)
I bought this because it has external antenna ports, 300MB/s theoretical throughput and a good feature set.
Unfortunately the stock firmware did not suit me at all. So I flashed the appropriate dd-wrt firmware on it, which is a lot better, but still lacking, especially for use as a repeater or repeater bridge. That's just not working well with the current firmware. Also on a Mac network the USB printer/storage ports don't work. Or at least I could not figure out how to get the plugged-in NAS to show on the local network. Also lacking in the firmware (stock and dd-wrt) are options to dedicate one antenna port for an outside antenna. The reach of the signal is not as good as I expected. I can't tell at the moment if the connected outdoor antenna is transmitting or receiving at all or improving the signal. Maybe there is a way to tell, I'd like to learn about. I thought this would be better than the Linksys WRT600N I was using before, but it is not. I mostly bought it for the detachable antennas, but I plan on converting the WRT600N with exterior antennas to take over again.
The design and build is good, the power switch is welcome, the blue LEDs are flashing a bit crazy, the high-gloss plastic is prone to fingerprints. Maybe over time I will learn how to tweak this box to perform better.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Value and Feature Set, April 12 2014
B Brown (Burlington, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
We recently upgraded to a 120MBits/sec internet package so the home network required upgrading to gigabit speed to match. Our network requires both wired and wireless capability so I had to confirm that the 4 LAN ports are all gigabit, this one is. It couldn't be easier to install. Just access the internal URL and follow the easy step by step guide. I used the same encryption key, encryption protocol and subnet IPs as the old router so I was pleasantly surprised that the new router scanned for devices on the network and automatically connected them ! Guest internet is a nice bonus as is the concurrent 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz connectivity. I use 2.4 for guest and 5 for the home network, 802.11n only for 5Ghz for greatest security.

Built-in print server (connect the printer directly to the routers USB port) requires installation of a small app on every computer connected to the router but it works well once up and running. There is a 2nd USB port that can be used for a network hard drive.

If ease of installation and features at a great price are what you're looking for, you can't go wrong with the WDR3600.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Router, not so great as media server, March 21 2014
For the price this is a great router, easy to set up and fast, I really like that it is dual band. My main issue is that when plugging in a hard drive it tries to set it up as a media server rather than just as a hard drive on the network so you can't access folders, it just lumps all the files together using Windows Media Player.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value. Works great!, March 18 2014
I researched a lot of n600 dual band routers and this was rated alongside others costing 2-3 times as much. It has been in constant use for about 3 months now. The router is physically larger than most, and along with the external antennas limits where you can place it. I like external antennas so that I can install better ones if coverage is weak, but this router with the stock antennas provides good coverage of our house. It includes a lot of settings to do such things as block internet access for children's iPods/iPads after bed time, while leaving adult computers and devices still connected. It was simple to get up and running. I would recommend this to a friend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Router Yet, March 12 2014
This router replaced an older Netgear model that was beginning to drop connections. I haven't had any problems this TP-Link model at all since installing it several weeks ago. The network speeds are exactly what you would expect. The user console is probably my favourite of all the routers i've tried other than dd-wrt (which this model is compatible with). It does offer 2.4 and 5ghz wireless for both your normal network and the guest network. Some older equipment can't connect to the 5ghz range so I just use the 2.4ghz but it is nice to have the option. The next router I get will most likely be another TP-Link.

4.0 out of 5 stars router, March 10 2014
I purchased this not to long ago, back in the fall or early winter
it worked great, for awhile but now in the first part of march I went to use the tablet and no web connection I reset it, I did everything to make sure it would work and nothing it was to go to the great router graveyard , .this was not overloaded abused or anything it just died.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good router, Nov. 15 2013
This is my first wireless router. Setup was easy. There are a lot of options in the menus. They could be laid out in a way that they could be easier to understand but once you get used to them it is pretty easy to find the different settings. A screen on the right hand side describes what all the different settings are for which is nice when you don't know what you are looking at or trying to find a certain setting.

My two real complaints are the lights on the front are very bright and light up the whole area around the router at night, I've read that in other reviews also. And the addresses it automatically issues to your different devices seems to change on occasion when they renew.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just great., Nov. 8 2013
Realized now just what was giving us trouble. We have been very pleased with this router, easy to install and fast and streamlined appearance fitting nicely into the decor. We have been very pleased with this purchase

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, July 15 2013
D. J. Kalcsa "Hangman" (Brantford, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
Only had for a couple weeks but it performs perfectly so far. No slow down of speed to my wireless devices compared to wired.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for the Price, June 11 2013
I really like my new router, i like the web interface to make changes to the router. The 2 channel - AP is great feature, so many settings that can be made with in it.

ARRAY(0xb5922798)