Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage SmartSaver Kitchen Kindle Music Deals Store SGG Home, Kitchen and Garden Gift Guide

on July 28, 2014
Bought this router to replace my Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 that was running DD-WRT. Have the router for over a year now and it seems to be quite good.

With a 45Mbps internet connection, using my smart phone I regularly get 35+Mbps about 10 feet from the router - that's situated in a wooden entertainment unit. About 25 feet away, behind one wall in a bedroom I get upwards of 17Mbps. These aren't blazing fast speeds, but coming from my previous router, which topped out at 21Mbps 3 feet from the router, this was a huge improvement.

On a Windows PC equipped with dual band 802.11N network adapter 10 feet from the router I was able to achieve upwards of 65Mbps. This speed was using the speedboost feature that was in place from my ISP. This speed isn't typical. Using the same PC about 25 feet away behind a wall, I get upwards of 20Mbps.

These days I primarily use the WDR3600 for connecting to a VPN. The WHR-HP-G54 didn't allow me to get more than 4Mbps when connecting to the VPN. Changing the WDR3600 to DD-WRT and connecting to the same VPN allowed me to get speeds close to 17Mbps. Note that using the TP-LINK firmware to connect to the VPN over PPTP worked, but I was unable to access many websites. Thus my switch to DD-WRT.

The range of this router versus my older HP-G54 isn't as good. I suspect a few tweaks in DD-WRT might improve this, but now that my primary use is for connecting to two wired devices to a VPN through the router, range is less of a concern.

With the TP-LINK firmware I never found I had to the reboot the router, but using DD-WRT I find I periodically reboot when connection to the VPN seems to slow. Sometimes this seems to have an affect in solving the problem, other times it doesn't.

The included USB ports on the back are great for sharing files that are on a USB key. My only complaint is that the TP-LINK firmware always defaults to turning the FTP server on, after the router has been rebooted. This is something to watch for. I wish there was an option to permanently disable FTP. Additionally I had issue accessing any files stored on the USB from my DLNA enabled Samsung SmartTV. The TV would pick up the USB key and give the option to access it, but then there was never any visible music, video or pictures. On a Windows PC I had no issue accessing the media and other files on the USB key.

The guest network feature on this router is nice, though I haven't found a ton of use for it because most people visiting have a mobile data plan.

The router looks good, though the high gloss finish means it's a magnet for fingerprint marks.

I plan to upgrade to a more powerful router in the next year. Based on my experience with the TP-LINK WDR3600 I can say I'll definitely consider another TP-LINK router.
on April 12, 2014
We recently upgraded to a 120MBits/sec internet package so the home network required upgrading to gigabit speed to match. Our network requires both wired and wireless capability so I had to confirm that the 4 LAN ports are all gigabit, this one is. It couldn't be easier to install. Just access the internal URL and follow the easy step by step guide. I used the same encryption key, encryption protocol and subnet IPs as the old router so I was pleasantly surprised that the new router scanned for devices on the network and automatically connected them ! Guest internet is a nice bonus as is the concurrent 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz connectivity. I use 2.4 for guest and 5 for the home network, 802.11n only for 5Ghz for greatest security.

Built-in print server (connect the printer directly to the routers USB port) requires installation of a small app on every computer connected to the router but it works well once up and running. There is a 2nd USB port that can be used for a network hard drive.

If ease of installation and features at a great price are what you're looking for, you can't go wrong with the WDR3600.
on November 15, 2013
This is my first wireless router. Setup was easy. There are a lot of options in the menus. They could be laid out in a way that they could be easier to understand but once you get used to them it is pretty easy to find the different settings. A screen on the right hand side describes what all the different settings are for which is nice when you don't know what you are looking at or trying to find a certain setting.

My two real complaints are the lights on the front are very bright and light up the whole area around the router at night, I've read that in other reviews also. And the addresses it automatically issues to your different devices seems to change on occasion when they renew.
on August 6, 2014
Perfect installation and configuration using the admin page (not the CD). Disappointed by output power (range). My other 5 year old 30$ router appears to have a much stronger signal (albeit slower), my devices keep switching to the old router because the signal is stronger.
on October 27, 2014
The 5ghz band performs quite poorly and results in consistent connection drops.
I'm often required to reset it also, by disconnecting power - it's also a finger print magnet. Overall I would rate this modem a 2/5. I am somewhat satisfied that the 2.4ghz band functions.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon March 18, 2014
I researched a lot of n600 dual band routers and this was rated alongside others costing 2-3 times as much. It has been in constant use for about 3 months now. The router is physically larger than most, and along with the external antennas limits where you can place it. I like external antennas so that I can install better ones if coverage is weak, but this router with the stock antennas provides good coverage of our house. It includes a lot of settings to do such things as block internet access for children's iPods/iPads after bed time, while leaving adult computers and devices still connected. It was simple to get up and running. I would recommend this to a friend.
on July 21, 2014
So far this router has worked very well for us. I did initially experience interference issues from other networks flooding into my house WHICH WAS NOT the fault of this router. I easily switched channels to an empty one, and have not had any problems since. I even posted a video about it on YouTube (under my username) . My VOIP home phone system works far better (less choppy) using this router than on my last router.
As a summary, 2.4 ghz, and 5 ghz radios for your wireless. You can turn on or off either one, or both. Easy menu for set-up. All good.
on August 14, 2014
TL-WDR3600 v1.5

August 14, 2014

I've had this router for about 2 days. I'm only using the 2.4ghz band in mixed mode. I have a 15Mbps dsl connection. Wired I get roughly 15.5, wireless mode I get the same.

I had the Asus RT-N12 for several days before I got the TP-Link and it became quite slow; I started with adequate speeds but then the router became very slow, I'm talking speeds dropping to 1Mbps. There is no comparison, the TL-WDR3600 is lightening fast.

Price is unbeatable for the features it comes with.
on October 16, 2014
This arrived in a rather large box and I was surprised to find that the only thing inside was this router.
I read the directions and started to hook it up at 3:00 PM. The physical hookup was easy but then the problem started. I could not get it to work properly even when hooked directly by ethernet cable.
I then called the Support number and was greeted by a pleasant lady who spoke Chinese much better than she spoke English. Both frustrated by a language barrier, she emailed me the link to an updated firmware. The one supplied with the router was out of date. When I finally got to download the firmware upgrade I installed it on the router. Then, and only then, was I able to get the router working. It was now 10:30 PM. A total of 7 1/2 hours before I got it working!
Since the installation the router has been working well. As well as the Cisco router it replaced. For the price, and without the installation problems, it isn't a bad router.
on August 14, 2014
Good router, in the beginning I had a little problem trying to configure it, but I realized I had to put a fixed DNS.

Overall good signal, good design and is working as I expected: Creating 2 networks so I can watch movies and play games at the same time without interference in speed.

I do recommend this!
Easy installation and easy menu to configure.

See 1 answered question