4.0 out of 5 stars Good specs and design but firmware lacking
I bought this because it has external antenna ports, 300MB/s theoretical throughput and a good feature set.
Published 15 months ago by Mikofox

3.0 out of 5 stars The wireless really only works when you choose one of ...
The wireless really only works when you choose one of the bandwidths. When you have both on, the wireless "fails" and disconnects, requiring a reset. I suppose for the price, it is OK, but it should not have this dual function since it is not really a feature you can use.
Published 24 days ago by Paul Simard

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Good specs and design but firmware lacking, June 29 2013
Mikofox (Whitehorse, Yukon Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: TP-LINK TL-WDR3600 Wireless N600 Dual Band Router, Gigabit, 2.4GHz 300Mbps+5Ghz 300Mbps, 2 USB port, Wireless On/Off Switch (Personal Computers)
Unfortunately the stock firmware did not suit me at all. So I flashed the appropriate dd-wrt firmware on it, which is a lot better, but still lacking, especially for use as a repeater or repeater bridge. That's just not working well with the current firmware. Also on a Mac network the USB printer/storage ports don't work. Or at least I could not figure out how to get the plugged-in NAS to show on the local network. Also lacking in the firmware (stock and dd-wrt) are options to dedicate one antenna port for an outside antenna. The reach of the signal is not as good as I expected. I can't tell at the moment if the connected outdoor antenna is transmitting or receiving at all or improving the signal. Maybe there is a way to tell, I'd like to learn about. I thought this would be better than the Linksys WRT600N I was using before, but it is not. I mostly bought it for the detachable antennas, but I plan on converting the WRT600N with exterior antennas to take over again.
The design and build is good, the power switch is welcome, the blue LEDs are flashing a bit crazy, the high-gloss plastic is prone to fingerprints. Maybe over time I will learn how to tweak this box to perform better.

Edit:
Unfortunately this router died suddenly, after a year in service. Not one LED coming on when plugged in.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Value and Feature Set, April 12 2014
Amazon Customer (Burlington, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
We recently upgraded to a 120MBits/sec internet package so the home network required upgrading to gigabit speed to match. Our network requires both wired and wireless capability so I had to confirm that the 4 LAN ports are all gigabit, this one is. It couldn't be easier to install. Just access the internal URL and follow the easy step by step guide. I used the same encryption key, encryption protocol and subnet IPs as the old router so I was pleasantly surprised that the new router scanned for devices on the network and automatically connected them ! Guest internet is a nice bonus as is the concurrent 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz connectivity. I use 2.4 for guest and 5 for the home network, 802.11n only for 5Ghz for greatest security.

Built-in print server (connect the printer directly to the routers USB port) requires installation of a small app on every computer connected to the router but it works well once up and running. There is a 2nd USB port that can be used for a network hard drive.

If ease of installation and features at a great price are what you're looking for, you can't go wrong with the WDR3600.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good router for those needing something better than 802.11G without need for 802.11AC, July 28 2014
Bought this router to replace my Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 that was running DD-WRT. Have the router for over a year now and it seems to be quite good.

With a 45Mbps internet connection, using my smart phone I regularly get 35+Mbps about 10 feet from the router - that's situated in a wooden entertainment unit. About 25 feet away, behind one wall in a bedroom I get upwards of 17Mbps. These aren't blazing fast speeds, but coming from my previous router, which topped out at 21Mbps 3 feet from the router, this was a huge improvement.

On a Windows PC equipped with dual band 802.11N network adapter 10 feet from the router I was able to achieve upwards of 65Mbps. This speed was using the speedboost feature that was in place from my ISP. This speed isn't typical. Using the same PC about 25 feet away behind a wall, I get upwards of 20Mbps.

These days I primarily use the WDR3600 for connecting to a VPN. The WHR-HP-G54 didn't allow me to get more than 4Mbps when connecting to the VPN. Changing the WDR3600 to DD-WRT and connecting to the same VPN allowed me to get speeds close to 17Mbps. Note that using the TP-LINK firmware to connect to the VPN over PPTP worked, but I was unable to access many websites. Thus my switch to DD-WRT.

The range of this router versus my older HP-G54 isn't as good. I suspect a few tweaks in DD-WRT might improve this, but now that my primary use is for connecting to two wired devices to a VPN through the router, range is less of a concern.

With the TP-LINK firmware I never found I had to the reboot the router, but using DD-WRT I find I periodically reboot when connection to the VPN seems to slow. Sometimes this seems to have an affect in solving the problem, other times it doesn't.

The included USB ports on the back are great for sharing files that are on a USB key. My only complaint is that the TP-LINK firmware always defaults to turning the FTP server on, after the router has been rebooted. This is something to watch for. I wish there was an option to permanently disable FTP. Additionally I had issue accessing any files stored on the USB from my DLNA enabled Samsung SmartTV. The TV would pick up the USB key and give the option to access it, but then there was never any visible music, video or pictures. On a Windows PC I had no issue accessing the media and other files on the USB key.

The guest network feature on this router is nice, though I haven't found a ton of use for it because most people visiting have a mobile data plan.

The router looks good, though the high gloss finish means it's a magnet for fingerprint marks.

I plan to upgrade to a more powerful router in the next year. Based on my experience with the TP-LINK WDR3600 I can say I'll definitely consider another TP-LINK router.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good router, at a great price!, July 21 2014
So far this router has worked very well for us. I did initially experience interference issues from other networks flooding into my house WHICH WAS NOT the fault of this router. I easily switched channels to an empty one, and have not had any problems since. I even posted a video about it on YouTube (under my username) . My VOIP home phone system works far better (less choppy) using this router than on my last router.
As a summary, 2.4 ghz, and 5 ghz radios for your wireless. You can turn on or off either one, or both. Easy menu for set-up. All good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lightening fast!, Aug. 14 2014
TL-WDR3600 v1.5

August 14, 2014

I've had this router for about 2 days. I'm only using the 2.4ghz band in mixed mode. I have a 15Mbps dsl connection. Wired I get roughly 15.5, wireless mode I get the same.

I had the Asus RT-N12 for several days before I got the TP-Link and it became quite slow; I started with adequate speeds but then the router became very slow, I'm talking speeds dropping to 1Mbps. There is no comparison, the TL-WDR3600 is lightening fast.

Price is unbeatable for the features it comes with.

4.0 out of 5 stars Recommended for sure!, Aug. 14 2014
Good router, in the beginning I had a little problem trying to configure it, but I realized I had to put a fixed DNS.

Overall good signal, good design and is working as I expected: Creating 2 networks so I can watch movies and play games at the same time without interference in speed.

I do recommend this!
Easy installation and easy menu to configure.

3.0 out of 5 stars The wireless really only works when you choose one of ..., Aug. 29 2014
Paul Simard (Pointe-Claire, Quebec, CA) - See all my reviews

3.0 out of 5 stars Perfect installation and configuration using the admin page (not the ..., Aug. 6 2014
Perfect installation and configuration using the admin page (not the CD). Disappointed by output power (range). My other 5 year old 30$ router appears to have a much stronger signal (albeit slower), my devices keep switching to the old router because the signal is stronger.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Product, June 15 2014
It took me awhile to connect it, but it certainly works better than I expected. I have it connected to two computers and a smart led TV.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Router, not so great as media server, March 21 2014
For the price this is a great router, easy to set up and fast, I really like that it is dual band. My main issue is that when plugging in a hard drive it tries to set it up as a media server rather than just as a hard drive on the network so you can't access folders, it just lumps all the files together using Windows Media Player.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›