4.0 out of 5 stars Decent router for the price
Our primary use of the internet is VPN for my work via wired and wireless, wireless for my wife's laptop and wifi for our phones (Apple and Balckberry). We also have a kids laptop (wireless), a media player (uses widi but does use wifi to access internet) and a PS3 though I am not an internet gamer.
Have had the device for about 6 weeks and have not had any issues...
Published 12 months ago by Garry Maarse

2.0 out of 5 stars Mysterious lock ups, independent of firmware
I simply cannot recommend this product. Although its features are stellar for the price, it suffers from repeatable, annoying lock-ups.

Published on July 2 2010 by M. Rooke

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent router for the price, Dec 1 2013
Have had the device for about 6 weeks and have not had any issues with it. I am technical so found it very easy to configure to get up and running as well as configuring dhcp, firewall rules and the guest account.
The router is on the 2nd floor but 2.5Ghz is strong anywhere on main floor (haven't checked in the basement).
Have tested download speeds through the 2nd and main floor and found it is consistent everywhere.
Have not tried the 5Ghz wireless but am not concerned as there's no point in trying to connect at 100's of meg when your internet provider is a 10M down and 1M up bottleneck. People usually miss that point.
The delivery from Amazon was great, was only a few days even though we chose the free shipping (no epxedite).

5.0 out of 5 stars Review From A Power User, Aug. 19 2013
As a user who used exclusively Cisco + Linksys since the BEFSR41 and every other Linksys product (switches and wireless routers) making the jump to a relatively unknown product was terrifying.

Not in this case.

Quick run down: 2 computers constantly streaming music (192kbps x2) + PS3 + torrent downloading all at once and this thing didn't even break a sweat. My old Linksys EA4200 would crash every two days (literally) but I haven't had to unplug and re-plug this thing since I got it.

Gigabit ports were more than enough for me as none of my computers have Gigabit ports but I still got exactly what my ISP promised of 25mbps download 2mbps Upload. When my old Linksys was maxing out it would drop LAN speeds down until it froze itself.

1 bar improvement in wireless signal (better throughout speed on 2.4ghz when farther away from router vs the Linksys.) 5 GHz channel did 15mbps, 1.8 mbps/up 30ft away

Haven't tried installing ddwrt on this and I don't think i'll need to since this is already admin panel rich.

All in all, great product. Impressed on the first try which is hard to do which so many choices.

2.0 out of 5 stars Mysterious lock ups, independent of firmware, July 2 2010
M. Rooke (Toronto, ON) - See all my reviews

I tried the default firmware, the updated firmware (from TP-Link), as well as DD-WRT. All suffered from the following problem: this router could not function for more than 24 hours without locking up (e.g. not able to use http interface in wired mode, no wireless internet access). A restart fixes the problem. This is unacceptable. Perhaps it's my busy wireless environment (i.e. many other WAPs around), but that should not cause such problems. For an $80 product, I shouldn't have to troubleshoot more than I did. It is simply not worth my time anymore to investigate the root cause.

When it works it's great - DD-WRT works fine with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Value and Feature Set, April 12 2014
Brenda B. (Burlington, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: TP-LINK TL-WDR3600 Wireless N600 Dual Band Router, Gigabit, 2.4GHz 300Mbps+5Ghz 300Mbps, 2 USB port, Wireless On/Off Switch (Personal Computers)
We recently upgraded to a 120MBits/sec internet package so the home network required upgrading to gigabit speed to match. Our network requires both wired and wireless capability so I had to confirm that the 4 LAN ports are all gigabit, this one is. It couldn't be easier to install. Just access the internal URL and follow the easy step by step guide. I used the same encryption key, encryption protocol and subnet IPs as the old router so I was pleasantly surprised that the new router scanned for devices on the network and automatically connected them ! Guest internet is a nice bonus as is the concurrent 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz connectivity. I use 2.4 for guest and 5 for the home network, 802.11n only for 5Ghz for greatest security.

Built-in print server (connect the printer directly to the routers USB port) requires installation of a small app on every computer connected to the router but it works well once up and running. There is a 2nd USB port that can be used for a network hard drive.

If ease of installation and features at a great price are what you're looking for, you can't go wrong with the WDR3600.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good specs and design but firmware lacking, June 29 2013
Mikofox (Whitehorse, Yukon Canada) - See all my reviews
I bought this because it has external antenna ports, 300MB/s theoretical throughput and a good feature set.
Unfortunately the stock firmware did not suit me at all. So I flashed the appropriate dd-wrt firmware on it, which is a lot better, but still lacking, especially for use as a repeater or repeater bridge. That's just not working well with the current firmware. Also on a Mac network the USB printer/storage ports don't work. Or at least I could not figure out how to get the plugged-in NAS to show on the local network. Also lacking in the firmware (stock and dd-wrt) are options to dedicate one antenna port for an outside antenna. The reach of the signal is not as good as I expected. I can't tell at the moment if the connected outdoor antenna is transmitting or receiving at all or improving the signal. Maybe there is a way to tell, I'd like to learn about. I thought this would be better than the Linksys WRT600N I was using before, but it is not. I mostly bought it for the detachable antennas, but I plan on converting the WRT600N with exterior antennas to take over again.
The design and build is good, the power switch is welcome, the blue LEDs are flashing a bit crazy, the high-gloss plastic is prone to fingerprints. Maybe over time I will learn how to tweak this box to perform better.

Edit:
Unfortunately this router died suddenly, after a year in service. Not one LED coming on when plugged in.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good router for those needing something better than 802.11G without need for 802.11AC, July 28 2014
Bought this router to replace my Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 that was running DD-WRT. Have the router for over a year now and it seems to be quite good.

With a 45Mbps internet connection, using my smart phone I regularly get 35+Mbps about 10 feet from the router - that's situated in a wooden entertainment unit. About 25 feet away, behind one wall in a bedroom I get upwards of 17Mbps. These aren't blazing fast speeds, but coming from my previous router, which topped out at 21Mbps 3 feet from the router, this was a huge improvement.

On a Windows PC equipped with dual band 802.11N network adapter 10 feet from the router I was able to achieve upwards of 65Mbps. This speed was using the speedboost feature that was in place from my ISP. This speed isn't typical. Using the same PC about 25 feet away behind a wall, I get upwards of 20Mbps.

These days I primarily use the WDR3600 for connecting to a VPN. The WHR-HP-G54 didn't allow me to get more than 4Mbps when connecting to the VPN. Changing the WDR3600 to DD-WRT and connecting to the same VPN allowed me to get speeds close to 17Mbps. Note that using the TP-LINK firmware to connect to the VPN over PPTP worked, but I was unable to access many websites. Thus my switch to DD-WRT.

The range of this router versus my older HP-G54 isn't as good. I suspect a few tweaks in DD-WRT might improve this, but now that my primary use is for connecting to two wired devices to a VPN through the router, range is less of a concern.

With the TP-LINK firmware I never found I had to the reboot the router, but using DD-WRT I find I periodically reboot when connection to the VPN seems to slow. Sometimes this seems to have an affect in solving the problem, other times it doesn't.

The included USB ports on the back are great for sharing files that are on a USB key. My only complaint is that the TP-LINK firmware always defaults to turning the FTP server on, after the router has been rebooted. This is something to watch for. I wish there was an option to permanently disable FTP. Additionally I had issue accessing any files stored on the USB from my DLNA enabled Samsung SmartTV. The TV would pick up the USB key and give the option to access it, but then there was never any visible music, video or pictures. On a Windows PC I had no issue accessing the media and other files on the USB key.

The guest network feature on this router is nice, though I haven't found a ton of use for it because most people visiting have a mobile data plan.

The router looks good, though the high gloss finish means it's a magnet for fingerprint marks.

I plan to upgrade to a more powerful router in the next year. Based on my experience with the TP-LINK WDR3600 I can say I'll definitely consider another TP-LINK router.

1.0 out of 5 stars Problems, Issues, Failures ..., Aug. 11 2013
I purchased this router about a year ago and have used it internally to split kid's internet traffic from parent's traffic much of that time - you know friendly traffic on the internal LAN. Of course, I swapped in dd-wrt (see below) and used it as an internal wifi-AP for kids, family and friends. Not really much stressful traffic. It worked without any issues, after dd-wrt was loaded. Never locked up.

This morning, after a week of testing with new settings for our internet-facing needs, so it can take over from a 5yr old 10/100 router with half the CPU and half the RAM. I swapped in the TP-Link and did some quick testing. Everything seemed fine. I've running about 15 services (web, email, IM, VPN, remote access, etc.) and have multiple public IP addresses. Everything seemed fine. BTW, don't expect to do this stuff with the included firmware.

Then ran a port scan of the main public IP and saw the router disable all ports - WAN, all LAN ... the "power on" LED was the only LED still enabled. No traffic was allowed in or out. Ok, fine, I assumed it understood a port scan and turned off some ethernet ports for security - not ideal, but interesting, is what I thought. After 30 seconds, none of the ports had been reenabled. The box was locked up. Remoted into an "outside server" and ran the same scan. The TP-Link locked-up again - both the WAN and LAN ports. Power reset needed again. Perhaps my scans are just too much - tried the "shields up" from GRC. After 25 ports, it locked up again! Seriously? Running port scans is a basic thing. I've never seen any other router since 1997 lock up over a port scan.

A router that locks up after a port scan is worthless to everyone in the world, IMHO.

I'm an enterprise technical architect and generally design networks with Juniper or Cisco stuff. I've been impressed with 4 home routers running dd-wrt the last 15 yrs, so I expected this TP-link to perform better. It isn't a heating issue - or too many open connections - the default number supported is 32K connections now.

Why dd-wrt?

After reviewing the issues [...] with the tp-link router firmware, I was convinced that nobody should leave that on the hardware. It needs to be replaced for security reasons; a back-door is enabled! Getting dd-wrt onto it was a multi-step process, because tp-link disabled the WAN port at reboot and dd-wrt does not enable the port. That means we need to find a firmware that does not disable the WAN port at boot, then update to dd-wrt from THAT specific firmware.

* Load an old version of TP-Link English firmware; there is a specific upgrade path required here.
* Load an old version of TP-link German firmware; it has a bug that leave the WAN-port enabled
* Load an old version of DD-WRT firmware
* Load the newest DD-WRT firmare that is known to work with this specific model. "DD-WRT v24-sp2 (10/12/12) std" at the time this is written.

Be happy, in theory. Hopefully, the process is easier now.

So, I cannot leave this router internet facing. Just can't. Anyone in the world can easily force the router off. Look up "DoS attack" - it isn't even a DDoS!

Summary:
Don't buy this. Forget the impressive feature list.

3.0 out of 5 stars The physical hookup was easy but then the problem started, Oct. 16 2014
This arrived in a rather large box and I was surprised to find that the only thing inside was this router.
I read the directions and started to hook it up at 3:00 PM. The physical hookup was easy but then the problem started. I could not get it to work properly even when hooked directly by ethernet cable.
I then called the Support number and was greeted by a pleasant lady who spoke Chinese much better than she spoke English. Both frustrated by a language barrier, she emailed me the link to an updated firmware. The one supplied with the router was out of date. When I finally got to download the firmware upgrade I installed it on the router. Then, and only then, was I able to get the router working. It was now 10:30 PM. A total of 7 1/2 hours before I got it working!
Since the installation the router has been working well. As well as the Cisco router it replaced. For the price, and without the installation problems, it isn't a bad router.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great unit for the discounted value., Oct. 2 2014
It works as desired, I had a lot of network drops until adjusted the network frequency to update 50% sooner than the default. I have to power cycle it every night with the default settings otherwise to maintain a sharp connection.

Working within a small apartment (10 meters from component to router) the range always displays as 3 of 5, or 2 of 5 bars no matter the distance, that's with the 5G stronger network, that being said the connection may as well be 5 of 5 since the response between has never been more than 20ms.

I purchased this device for a roughly 50% discount, which honestly made the price seem fair. I would have rated this item more worse if I had paid the full retail cost.

If it wasn't for the power cycles I would have rated this 5/5 stars.

2.0 out of 5 stars Loss of 50% download!, June 13 2014
I can't be 100% certain there aren't other factors involved, e.g. poor quality LAN cable between modem and router, but all I know is that I am paying for 45MBps download from my provider and have done a speedtest whilst connected via cable directly to the cable modem and seen speeds of 45+ MBps. However, even when standing right next to the WiFi router with the laptop and connecting via WiFi, when I do a speedtest, the best I have seen is 23MBps. So, it's ok for the money, but its annoying to know that if I want to get my full download capabilities, I cannot rely on this router to give me that and have to connect via cable or buy a more expensive router.