5.0 out of 5 stars Review From A Power User
As a user who used exclusively Cisco + Linksys since the BEFSR41 and every other Linksys product (switches and wireless routers) making the jump to a relatively unknown product was terrifying.

Not in this case.

Published 17 months ago by Mario P Stamile

3.0 out of 5 stars The physical hookup was easy but then the problem started
This arrived in a rather large box and I was surprised to find that the only thing inside was this router.
I read the directions and started to hook it up at 3:00 PM. The physical hookup was easy but then the problem started. I could not get it to work properly even when hooked directly by ethernet cable.
I then called the Support number and was greeted by a...
Published 3 months ago by enercontrol

5.0 out of 5 stars Review From A Power User, Aug. 19 2013

Not in this case.

Quick run down: 2 computers constantly streaming music (192kbps x2) + PS3 + torrent downloading all at once and this thing didn't even break a sweat. My old Linksys EA4200 would crash every two days (literally) but I haven't had to unplug and re-plug this thing since I got it.

Gigabit ports were more than enough for me as none of my computers have Gigabit ports but I still got exactly what my ISP promised of 25mbps download 2mbps Upload. When my old Linksys was maxing out it would drop LAN speeds down until it froze itself.

1 bar improvement in wireless signal (better throughout speed on 2.4ghz when farther away from router vs the Linksys.) 5 GHz channel did 15mbps, 1.8 mbps/up 30ft away

Haven't tried installing ddwrt on this and I don't think i'll need to since this is already admin panel rich.

All in all, great product. Impressed on the first try which is hard to do which so many choices.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Value and Feature Set, April 12 2014
Brenda B. (Burlington, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: TP-LINK TL-WDR3600 Wireless N600 Dual Band Router, Gigabit, 2.4GHz 300Mbps+5Ghz 300Mbps, 2 USB port, Wireless On/Off Switch (Personal Computers)
We recently upgraded to a 120MBits/sec internet package so the home network required upgrading to gigabit speed to match. Our network requires both wired and wireless capability so I had to confirm that the 4 LAN ports are all gigabit, this one is. It couldn't be easier to install. Just access the internal URL and follow the easy step by step guide. I used the same encryption key, encryption protocol and subnet IPs as the old router so I was pleasantly surprised that the new router scanned for devices on the network and automatically connected them ! Guest internet is a nice bonus as is the concurrent 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz connectivity. I use 2.4 for guest and 5 for the home network, 802.11n only for 5Ghz for greatest security.

Built-in print server (connect the printer directly to the routers USB port) requires installation of a small app on every computer connected to the router but it works well once up and running. There is a 2nd USB port that can be used for a network hard drive.

If ease of installation and features at a great price are what you're looking for, you can't go wrong with the WDR3600.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good specs and design but firmware lacking, June 29 2013
Mikofox (Whitehorse, Yukon Canada) - See all my reviews
I bought this because it has external antenna ports, 300MB/s theoretical throughput and a good feature set.
Unfortunately the stock firmware did not suit me at all. So I flashed the appropriate dd-wrt firmware on it, which is a lot better, but still lacking, especially for use as a repeater or repeater bridge. That's just not working well with the current firmware. Also on a Mac network the USB printer/storage ports don't work. Or at least I could not figure out how to get the plugged-in NAS to show on the local network. Also lacking in the firmware (stock and dd-wrt) are options to dedicate one antenna port for an outside antenna. The reach of the signal is not as good as I expected. I can't tell at the moment if the connected outdoor antenna is transmitting or receiving at all or improving the signal. Maybe there is a way to tell, I'd like to learn about. I thought this would be better than the Linksys WRT600N I was using before, but it is not. I mostly bought it for the detachable antennas, but I plan on converting the WRT600N with exterior antennas to take over again.
The design and build is good, the power switch is welcome, the blue LEDs are flashing a bit crazy, the high-gloss plastic is prone to fingerprints. Maybe over time I will learn how to tweak this box to perform better.

Edit:
Unfortunately this router died suddenly, after a year in service. Not one LED coming on when plugged in.

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent router for the price, Dec 1 2013
Our primary use of the internet is VPN for my work via wired and wireless, wireless for my wife's laptop and wifi for our phones (Apple and Balckberry). We also have a kids laptop (wireless), a media player (uses widi but does use wifi to access internet) and a PS3 though I am not an internet gamer.
Have had the device for about 6 weeks and have not had any issues with it. I am technical so found it very easy to configure to get up and running as well as configuring dhcp, firewall rules and the guest account.
The router is on the 2nd floor but 2.5Ghz is strong anywhere on main floor (haven't checked in the basement).
Have tested download speeds through the 2nd and main floor and found it is consistent everywhere.
Have not tried the 5Ghz wireless but am not concerned as there's no point in trying to connect at 100's of meg when your internet provider is a 10M down and 1M up bottleneck. People usually miss that point.
The delivery from Amazon was great, was only a few days even though we chose the free shipping (no epxedite).

4.0 out of 5 stars Good router for those needing something better than 802.11G without need for 802.11AC, July 28 2014
Bought this router to replace my Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 that was running DD-WRT. Have the router for over a year now and it seems to be quite good.

With a 45Mbps internet connection, using my smart phone I regularly get 35+Mbps about 10 feet from the router - that's situated in a wooden entertainment unit. About 25 feet away, behind one wall in a bedroom I get upwards of 17Mbps. These aren't blazing fast speeds, but coming from my previous router, which topped out at 21Mbps 3 feet from the router, this was a huge improvement.

On a Windows PC equipped with dual band 802.11N network adapter 10 feet from the router I was able to achieve upwards of 65Mbps. This speed was using the speedboost feature that was in place from my ISP. This speed isn't typical. Using the same PC about 25 feet away behind a wall, I get upwards of 20Mbps.

These days I primarily use the WDR3600 for connecting to a VPN. The WHR-HP-G54 didn't allow me to get more than 4Mbps when connecting to the VPN. Changing the WDR3600 to DD-WRT and connecting to the same VPN allowed me to get speeds close to 17Mbps. Note that using the TP-LINK firmware to connect to the VPN over PPTP worked, but I was unable to access many websites. Thus my switch to DD-WRT.

The range of this router versus my older HP-G54 isn't as good. I suspect a few tweaks in DD-WRT might improve this, but now that my primary use is for connecting to two wired devices to a VPN through the router, range is less of a concern.

With the TP-LINK firmware I never found I had to the reboot the router, but using DD-WRT I find I periodically reboot when connection to the VPN seems to slow. Sometimes this seems to have an affect in solving the problem, other times it doesn't.

The included USB ports on the back are great for sharing files that are on a USB key. My only complaint is that the TP-LINK firmware always defaults to turning the FTP server on, after the router has been rebooted. This is something to watch for. I wish there was an option to permanently disable FTP. Additionally I had issue accessing any files stored on the USB from my DLNA enabled Samsung SmartTV. The TV would pick up the USB key and give the option to access it, but then there was never any visible music, video or pictures. On a Windows PC I had no issue accessing the media and other files on the USB key.

The guest network feature on this router is nice, though I haven't found a ton of use for it because most people visiting have a mobile data plan.

The router looks good, though the high gloss finish means it's a magnet for fingerprint marks.

I plan to upgrade to a more powerful router in the next year. Based on my experience with the TP-LINK WDR3600 I can say I'll definitely consider another TP-LINK router.

3.0 out of 5 stars The physical hookup was easy but then the problem started, Oct. 16 2014
I then called the Support number and was greeted by a pleasant lady who spoke Chinese much better than she spoke English. Both frustrated by a language barrier, she emailed me the link to an updated firmware. The one supplied with the router was out of date. When I finally got to download the firmware upgrade I installed it on the router. Then, and only then, was I able to get the router working. It was now 10:30 PM. A total of 7 1/2 hours before I got it working!
Since the installation the router has been working well. As well as the Cisco router it replaced. For the price, and without the installation problems, it isn't a bad router.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great unit for the discounted value., Oct. 2 2014
It works as desired, I had a lot of network drops until adjusted the network frequency to update 50% sooner than the default. I have to power cycle it every night with the default settings otherwise to maintain a sharp connection.

Working within a small apartment (10 meters from component to router) the range always displays as 3 of 5, or 2 of 5 bars no matter the distance, that's with the 5G stronger network, that being said the connection may as well be 5 of 5 since the response between has never been more than 20ms.

I purchased this device for a roughly 50% discount, which honestly made the price seem fair. I would have rated this item more worse if I had paid the full retail cost.

If it wasn't for the power cycles I would have rated this 5/5 stars.

2.0 out of 5 stars Average performer, Oct. 27 2014
The 5ghz band performs quite poorly and results in consistent connection drops.
I'm often required to reset it also, by disconnecting power - it's also a finger print magnet. Overall I would rate this modem a 2/5. I am somewhat satisfied that the 2.4ghz band functions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good router, Nov. 15 2013
This is my first wireless router. Setup was easy. There are a lot of options in the menus. They could be laid out in a way that they could be easier to understand but once you get used to them it is pretty easy to find the different settings. A screen on the right hand side describes what all the different settings are for which is nice when you don't know what you are looking at or trying to find a certain setting.

My two real complaints are the lights on the front are very bright and light up the whole area around the router at night, I've read that in other reviews also. And the addresses it automatically issues to your different devices seems to change on occasion when they renew.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value. Works great!, March 18 2014
nishi - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I researched a lot of n600 dual band routers and this was rated alongside others costing 2-3 times as much. It has been in constant use for about 3 months now. The router is physically larger than most, and along with the external antennas limits where you can place it. I like external antennas so that I can install better ones if coverage is weak, but this router with the stock antennas provides good coverage of our house. It includes a lot of settings to do such things as block internet access for children's iPods/iPads after bed time, while leaving adult computers and devices still connected. It was simple to get up and running. I would recommend this to a friend.