Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage Personal Care Furniture All-New Kindle Paperwhite Music Deals Store Fall Tools

on August 19, 2013
As a user who used exclusively Cisco + Linksys since the BEFSR41 and every other Linksys product (switches and wireless routers) making the jump to a relatively unknown product was terrifying.

Not in this case.

Quick run down: 2 computers constantly streaming music (192kbps x2) + PS3 + torrent downloading all at once and this thing didn't even break a sweat. My old Linksys EA4200 would crash every two days (literally) but I haven't had to unplug and re-plug this thing since I got it.

Gigabit ports were more than enough for me as none of my computers have Gigabit ports but I still got exactly what my ISP promised of 25mbps download 2mbps Upload. When my old Linksys was maxing out it would drop LAN speeds down until it froze itself.

1 bar improvement in wireless signal (better throughout speed on 2.4ghz when farther away from router vs the Linksys.) 5 GHz channel did 15mbps, 1.8 mbps/up 30ft away

Haven't tried installing ddwrt on this and I don't think i'll need to since this is already admin panel rich.

All in all, great product. Impressed on the first try which is hard to do which so many choices.
on April 12, 2015
So let me just say this router is really good. I purchase this router after some review on it's specs and I can't complain.

So let me get right to it for advanced users I purchased this router to modify it and install a custom firmware DD-WRT to give it a major boost of features on a already powerful mid-tier class router. The router comes as version 2 of its hardware as it should. Trust me you want V2. And was able to get DDWRT on it and I'm happy with the extra improvement. But for those that want to know if they should get this one or the C8 or C9 Archer router here are some pro's and cons.

Pro's:

-Strong signal runs channels both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz at the same time.
-Wall mountable (others you can't. They are stand up ones)
-DDWRT compatible (others are also)
-Affordable
-2 USB slots compared to 1 on the others.

Cons:

-1 core cpu compared to dual core on others.
-No beamforming (might get added in DDWRT)
-USB 2.0 instead of 3.0 that the others have
-Older GUI newer have a more modern look.

Of course DDWRT helps made it a more worthwhile router. But the difference between this and the C8 are minimal. Now the C9 is much better in transfer speed 802.11AC and 802.11N but at twice the cost as its a AC1900 router.

The big thing is cost if you want to spend a extra $50 get the C8 it's better only really because of the Beamforming & USB 3.0 but Beamforming isn't really worth it that much as it only gives minor improvements on devices that are at a mid range distance. And well USB 3.0 is nice but only if your using it for NAS at higher port speeds, and remember the C8 only has 1 port. The GUI interface is ok but I would have chucked it anyways for DDWRT.

So.. You decide. I like it. Only a small difference.
review image
on December 26, 2014
Purchased this router one month ago, I am very pleased with the signal strength and range. The admin interface is good, everything is working as expected. I tested the speed difference, on the same computer, between 802.11n and 802.11ac protocols, the later is way faster but the range in shorter. Never had to reconnect in one month, very stable.

When sold less than 80$, this is a steal !

J'ai acheté ce routeur il y a un mois, je suis très satisfait de la force du signal et de la portée. L'interface d'administration est bonne, tout fonctionne comme prévu. J'ai testé la différence de vitesse, sur le même ordinateur, entre le protocole 802.11n et le 802.11ac, ce dernier est beaucoup plus rapide, mais la portée est plus courte. Ancun problème de connexion en un mois.

Quand il est en vente à moins de 80$, ce routeur offre un rapport qualité/prix imbattable.
on May 17, 2015
As a wifi router, I found this device easy to set up and start using for my home network. It provides strong signals on the two bands for all my devices, including high-definition streaming video to two TVs.
However I purchased this particular router because the makers claim that hard drives and printers can be directly attached to its two USB ports. I was totally unable to get my printer to work this way. The separate software provided to configure the printer did not work and the support pages on the manufacturer's website provided no help whatsoever. Fortunately I could connect my printer using an ethernet cable instead. That indeed worked and is probably a better way to attach the printer in any case.
My experience with attaching the hard drive is only slightly better. I have been unable to configure the settings so that I can write files to the hard drive as a network attached drive. Access to the files to read them was only available intermittently, as the hard drive kept disappearing from my list of network devices. However, have been able to configure the router so that it delivers the files as though the router were a media server. I am of course still missing write access. Again, the documentation for configuring the hard drive feature is woefully pathetic.
on April 12, 2014
We recently upgraded to a 120MBits/sec internet package so the home network required upgrading to gigabit speed to match. Our network requires both wired and wireless capability so I had to confirm that the 4 LAN ports are all gigabit, this one is. It couldn't be easier to install. Just access the internal URL and follow the easy step by step guide. I used the same encryption key, encryption protocol and subnet IPs as the old router so I was pleasantly surprised that the new router scanned for devices on the network and automatically connected them ! Guest internet is a nice bonus as is the concurrent 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz connectivity. I use 2.4 for guest and 5 for the home network, 802.11n only for 5Ghz for greatest security.

Built-in print server (connect the printer directly to the routers USB port) requires installation of a small app on every computer connected to the router but it works well once up and running. There is a 2nd USB port that can be used for a network hard drive.

If ease of installation and features at a great price are what you're looking for, you can't go wrong with the WDR3600.
on November 23, 2014
just got this router a week ago and im impressed. my old router used to give me 56mbps on wifi to my phone on the 2.4ghz network and now thats 75mbps but when i connect on the 5ghz i get 433mbps on N ..a great improvement. cant wait for the new AC laptop as itll be the only on using the faster speed for a while.
the unit dropped once at first and trying to get into the login page was a pain until i used the install disk (im used to just going in via ip numbers which didnt work for some reason).

I must admit im not the biggest techy person around and didnt realise that not all the items i own couldnt use 5ghz..looks like i'll invest in some ac dongles to get them upto speed
on April 23, 2015
I went from a dual antennae wireless N router with a 100Mbps limit to this one, and let me tell you the difference is incredible. Transferring files locally between computers regularly hits 50MB/s over the 5GHz signal, and around 25MB/s on the 2.4GHz. The 2.4 has fantastic range (100m+ through a house/basement) but the range of the 5GHz leaves much to be desired (falls off around 25m away through some walls). I understand the range of 5GHz is a hardware limitation that isn't unique to this product, and without beam forming it can't really be avoided.

I use OpenWRT on this router and have only ever restarted it once because of a hang in 3 months. That's a big change from the weekly hard-resets I was doing on my old router running DD-WRT. There are a few issues with OpenWRT and NAS being used, but I believe the stock firmware of this router enables NAS via the USB port on the rear. Can't tell for sure, I never even booted it on stock f/w.

You needn't look farther than this if you're looking for a fantastic household router.
on July 28, 2014
Bought this router to replace my Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 that was running DD-WRT. Have the router for over a year now and it seems to be quite good.

With a 45Mbps internet connection, using my smart phone I regularly get 35+Mbps about 10 feet from the router - that's situated in a wooden entertainment unit. About 25 feet away, behind one wall in a bedroom I get upwards of 17Mbps. These aren't blazing fast speeds, but coming from my previous router, which topped out at 21Mbps 3 feet from the router, this was a huge improvement.

On a Windows PC equipped with dual band 802.11N network adapter 10 feet from the router I was able to achieve upwards of 65Mbps. This speed was using the speedboost feature that was in place from my ISP. This speed isn't typical. Using the same PC about 25 feet away behind a wall, I get upwards of 20Mbps.

These days I primarily use the WDR3600 for connecting to a VPN. The WHR-HP-G54 didn't allow me to get more than 4Mbps when connecting to the VPN. Changing the WDR3600 to DD-WRT and connecting to the same VPN allowed me to get speeds close to 17Mbps. Note that using the TP-LINK firmware to connect to the VPN over PPTP worked, but I was unable to access many websites. Thus my switch to DD-WRT.

The range of this router versus my older HP-G54 isn't as good. I suspect a few tweaks in DD-WRT might improve this, but now that my primary use is for connecting to two wired devices to a VPN through the router, range is less of a concern.

With the TP-LINK firmware I never found I had to the reboot the router, but using DD-WRT I find I periodically reboot when connection to the VPN seems to slow. Sometimes this seems to have an affect in solving the problem, other times it doesn't.

The included USB ports on the back are great for sharing files that are on a USB key. My only complaint is that the TP-LINK firmware always defaults to turning the FTP server on, after the router has been rebooted. This is something to watch for. I wish there was an option to permanently disable FTP. Additionally I had issue accessing any files stored on the USB from my DLNA enabled Samsung SmartTV. The TV would pick up the USB key and give the option to access it, but then there was never any visible music, video or pictures. On a Windows PC I had no issue accessing the media and other files on the USB key.

The guest network feature on this router is nice, though I haven't found a ton of use for it because most people visiting have a mobile data plan.

The router looks good, though the high gloss finish means it's a magnet for fingerprint marks.

I plan to upgrade to a more powerful router in the next year. Based on my experience with the TP-LINK WDR3600 I can say I'll definitely consider another TP-LINK router.
on March 18, 2015
I bought this router to replace an old TrendNET TEW-731BR, a roughly $30 router that has worked pretty well for over 2 years. I live in a 600 sqft apartment and this router still somehow managed to provide only 90-95% signal on the 2.4 GHz network even when I'm roughly 40-60 feet away from it. The speed at which I'd type an arbitrary URL into Firefox and get it to return a website was also delayed moreso than it was with the old router - up to 5-10 seconds before the page would even begin to load. I was unimpressed when I first started using this router.

That was before I upgraded the firmware and disabled the 5 GHz WiFi network. I'm not sure if the 2.4 and 5 interfere with each other at all, but disabling the 5 GHz WiFi seems to have solved all the problems. The firmware upgrade also made the router more sturdy and less in need of reboots, so my advice to you, should you decide to buy it, is to immediately upgrade the firmware and only use the 5 GHz WiFi if you absolutely see a need for it.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon October 17, 2014
Purchased a (v 1.1) unit about a year ago (not from Amazon) shortly after it appeared on the market. Too good to be true for the price and for the technology at the time. Dodgy firmware made for aggressive "ac" connections that hovered around 1 Gbps (PCE-AC66 adapter) and then dropped while disconnecting the WAN. After much fiddling, the router was relegated to my "equipment closet." I recently brought it out of mothballs, updated with the latest firmware and I'm connected at 1 Gbps right now - rock solid (channel 149 / WP2-AES). Being the geek strumpet that I am, I have since ordered a much fancier router to play with, but something tells me that I will be unable to match ther performance I've seen in recent weeks. TP-Link firmware updates are laggardly to say the least, but they hit the sweet spot here. Unbeatable for the money.