4.0 out of 5 stars Departure for Creative Growth
Published 19 months ago by Blakestyger

3.0 out of 5 stars let down
I think this cd is too sparse when compared to Jesse's usual 5 star plus. I wouldn't grab this as one i want to listen to, its good for background filler stuff. I am a huge fan and feel this cd is quite a let down; as i bought it without question.. but won't do so again!
Published 11 months ago by Malt Monk

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Departure for Creative Growth, Sept. 23 2012
This review is from: The Blue Guitar Sessions (Audio CD)
The Blue Guitar SessionsA different departure into new musical territory, these tracks are not rumba rhythms we are used to from his previous output. Rather, they tend to be quite contemplative melodies, or more exactly they seem more like musical fragments that the artist is trying to use in an exploratory way to find new ground. Certainly pleasant late evening listening. Jesse Cook is known for a style of playing known as nouveau flamenco and rumba is the most common and rhythmic structure and form. But it has limits and it is difficult to create melodies when the chords are, for example, within a minor and major 7th structure, such as Bm, Amaj, Gmaj, resolving to F#maj7th, a common sequence found in his songs, as well as favouring the major keys of E, A, and G for interpretations or covers of popular songs like Dylan's It Ain't Me Babe. Nonetheless, haunting melodies delivered by a master player and composer. The pairing of Jesse's guitar playing with Chris Church's electric violin especially makes for ethereal and eerie compositions like no other and is a trademark of the artist's approach and expression. This new CD certainly has a lot of merit yet one can hear the potential in these compositions for expansion into new territory in the future as this collection of songs are a step in that direction. His listening audience will await that departure eagerly.

5.0 out of 5 stars slightly different but still awesome, Sept. 21 2012
This review is from: The Blue Guitar Sessions (Audio CD)
This is just a wee bit of a departure from the usual music we are accustomed to from Cook, but it is still stellar. Stellar indeed. At first listen, I would have given it a 4, but after listening to it a few more times, yeah, starting to love it more and more, right up to 5 stars. Some of my faves thus far would be Broken Moon, Fields of Blue, Ocean blue and Witching Hour but many others are starting to get my attention as well, such as Toybox and Diminished. Because of the beautiful sounds and textures and the special mood this cd creates, it will be getting lots of play in house and car. Great job again JC!

4.0 out of 5 stars A New Flavor of Jesse Cook, Sept. 18 2012
This review is from: The Blue Guitar Sessions (Audio CD)
This album sounds nothing like all Jesse Cook's previous works. If you are hoping to find those awesome energizing tracks like "Vamos" or "Rattle and Burn" you will see that Mr. Cook has departed from his usual awesomeness. Instead, Jesse has created a new flavor of awesomness in Blue Guitar Sessions.

This album presents you with very peaceful and melodic pieces that can instill relaxation, provoke deep thought, or caress your soul with a caring touch. Although all the tracks are wonderful on the ears my favorites are "Gone", "Diminished", and "Fields of Blue".

"Gone" fascinates my earbuds with the majestic use of an accordian to acompany Jesse as he plays the guitar. I feel like I'm on a carousel in the middle of the night with fireflys buzzing all around me.

"Fields of Blue" offers a very joyful and melodic toon that fulfills the your hunger for resolution.

"Diminished" captures my attention because it feels very epic. I feel like I could play this when I'm blue and then have a burst of applause splash my face as I open my eyes when I finish playing it.

My superb honorable mention has to be "Ne Me Quitte Pas". Its honorable mention for me because I'm not a big fan of vocal sound tracks. So if a vocal sound track captivates me you have accomplished something very rare. Its soooo sad that everytime I hear it I look for a hankerchief so I could give it to this lady but alas I don't have one and I'm pretty sure shes happy now.

I don't know much about the Blue's Genre but I can say I am willing to explore it some more after hearing this album.

So should you buy it ?

Well I don't always purchase albums,but when I do, I prefer Blue Guitar Sessions.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Blue Guitar Sessions, Nov. 12 2012
This review is from: The Blue Guitar Sessions (Audio CD)
The guitar work is incredible, but I don't think this is Jesse Cook's best work yet. He attempts to be jazzy when his style of guitar playing is better suited to Latin tunes. However, if you love jazz, you will love this CD, especially "I Put a Spell on You" - my favourite track on the CD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great CD, March 9 2014
This review is from: The Blue Guitar Sessions (Audio CD)
Another great music creation by Jesse. Just like Nomad, Rumba Foundation this another great work by Jesse Cook that will last.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff, July 7 2013
This review is from: The Blue Guitar Sessions (Audio CD)
Jesse gets lots of air time around our house. He is a very talented musician and does great things with a guitar.

5.0 out of 5 stars the blue guitar sessions Jesse Cook, June 15 2013
This review is from: The Blue Guitar Sessions (Audio CD)
Love the music and have so far never missed any of Jesse Cook's concerts here in Victoria BC. I enjoy playing the disc quite often

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!!, June 11 2013
This review is from: The Blue Guitar Sessions (Audio CD)
Jesse Cook is awesome as usual! If you haven't heard his music you have not lived... Try it. You will not be dissappointed.

3.0 out of 5 stars let down, May 23 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Jesse cook Great, May 13 2013
This review is from: The Blue Guitar Sessions (Audio CD)
This album is the softer side of Jesse cook and I love it. Something a little different..... good listening music

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xb2b22760)

The Blue Guitar Sessions
The Blue Guitar Sessions by Jesse Cook (Audio CD - 2012)