Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage SmartSaver Countdown to Black Friday in Home & Kitchen Kindle Music Deals Store SGG Tools

Format: Audio CDChange

on September 23, 2012
The Blue Guitar SessionsA different departure into new musical territory, these tracks are not rumba rhythms we are used to from his previous output. Rather, they tend to be quite contemplative melodies, or more exactly they seem more like musical fragments that the artist is trying to use in an exploratory way to find new ground. Certainly pleasant late evening listening. Jesse Cook is known for a style of playing known as nouveau flamenco and rumba is the most common and rhythmic structure and form. But it has limits and it is difficult to create melodies when the chords are, for example, within a minor and major 7th structure, such as Bm, Amaj, Gmaj, resolving to F#maj7th, a common sequence found in his songs, as well as favouring the major keys of E, A, and G for interpretations or covers of popular songs like Dylan's It Ain't Me Babe. Nonetheless, haunting melodies delivered by a master player and composer. The pairing of Jesse's guitar playing with Chris Church's electric violin especially makes for ethereal and eerie compositions like no other and is a trademark of the artist's approach and expression. This new CD certainly has a lot of merit yet one can hear the potential in these compositions for expansion into new territory in the future as this collection of songs are a step in that direction. His listening audience will await that departure eagerly.
on September 21, 2012
This is just a wee bit of a departure from the usual music we are accustomed to from Cook, but it is still stellar. Stellar indeed. At first listen, I would have given it a 4, but after listening to it a few more times, yeah, starting to love it more and more, right up to 5 stars. Some of my faves thus far would be Broken Moon, Fields of Blue, Ocean blue and Witching Hour but many others are starting to get my attention as well, such as Toybox and Diminished. Because of the beautiful sounds and textures and the special mood this cd creates, it will be getting lots of play in house and car. Great job again JC!
on September 18, 2012
This album sounds nothing like all Jesse Cook's previous works. If you are hoping to find those awesome energizing tracks like "Vamos" or "Rattle and Burn" you will see that Mr. Cook has departed from his usual awesomeness. Instead, Jesse has created a new flavor of awesomness in Blue Guitar Sessions.

This album presents you with very peaceful and melodic pieces that can instill relaxation, provoke deep thought, or caress your soul with a caring touch. Although all the tracks are wonderful on the ears my favorites are "Gone", "Diminished", and "Fields of Blue".

"Gone" fascinates my earbuds with the majestic use of an accordian to acompany Jesse as he plays the guitar. I feel like I'm on a carousel in the middle of the night with fireflys buzzing all around me.

"Fields of Blue" offers a very joyful and melodic toon that fulfills the your hunger for resolution.

"Diminished" captures my attention because it feels very epic. I feel like I could play this when I'm blue and then have a burst of applause splash my face as I open my eyes when I finish playing it.

My superb honorable mention has to be "Ne Me Quitte Pas". Its honorable mention for me because I'm not a big fan of vocal sound tracks. So if a vocal sound track captivates me you have accomplished something very rare. Its soooo sad that everytime I hear it I look for a hankerchief so I could give it to this lady but alas I don't have one and I'm pretty sure shes happy now.

I don't know much about the Blue's Genre but I can say I am willing to explore it some more after hearing this album.

So should you buy it ?

Well I don't always purchase albums,but when I do, I prefer Blue Guitar Sessions.
on November 12, 2012
The guitar work is incredible, but I don't think this is Jesse Cook's best work yet. He attempts to be jazzy when his style of guitar playing is better suited to Latin tunes. However, if you love jazz, you will love this CD, especially "I Put a Spell on You" - my favourite track on the CD.
on August 15, 2014
As anything and everything Cook creates, this album is more than excellent, it's spectacular. This album has depth, it conveys bottom-of-the-heart emotions and experiences, it touches your soul. It's amazing the pristine clarity with which Jesse Cook interprets the translation of his soul into this music. Do not expect the usual Jesse Cook's rhythms and up beat creations, always fabulous, but do go for the experience of a unique, profound, intense journey created with mastery. I wish Jesse Cook continues producing similar music, his talent is magnificent and The Blue Guitar Sessions album is truly extraordinary.
on April 13, 2013
Je suis un grand admirateur de Jesse. Sa virtuosité à la guitare est très enlevante. Pourtant,ici, sans la remettre en question, Jesse manque d'étincelle, manque d'entrain, de conviction, de joie. As-t-il une relation en bout de course,? ''Ne me quitte pas'' est une interpretation vraiment peu convaincante. Le reste sonne comme une musique d'ascenseur. Dommage, moi qui attend impatiemment chaque sorties d'album. Espérant que sa bande sauront lui remonter le (blue)moral.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Not the usual swinging lets dance and clap your hands cd from Jesse. I found the cd very slow and depressing. Maybe if you wanted to chill and relax even have nap this would suit. I have all of Jesse's work and this is very different and maybe too much on the slow side for me. He's usually more fun then this.
on January 8, 2013
I've been an ardent fan of Jesse Cook for a long time and every new disk or live performance I have been lucky enough to purchase or attend has topped the previous. This disk is exciting and showcases Jesse and his wonderful co- performers as the ultimate in skill and musicality. A keeper and a treasure
on May 23, 2013
I think this cd is too sparse when compared to Jesse's usual 5 star plus. I wouldn't grab this as one i want to listen to, its good for background filler stuff. I am a huge fan and feel this cd is quite a let down; as i bought it without question.. but won't do so again!
on December 26, 2012
Jesse Cook is a master of his craft. He draws you in with the first note and carries you along on a wonderful tapestry. Whether you are a long time fan or just looking for a new artist to sample, it would be hard not to love this meticulous collection.