5.0 out of 5 stars The harrowing adventures of a red haired heroine
If you're like me you may not watch many animated movies yet you may love animated love movies such as the beautiful art of the The Secret World of Arrietty [Blu-ray + DVD]from Studio Ghibli, or be impressed by Madagascar 3 from Dreamworks. If so, I think you will probably love Brave.

Brave continues Pixar's amazing run becoming the studios 13th movie in a...
Published 22 months ago by L. Power

3.0 out of 5 stars A Pixar ode to feminism and personal freedom
It feels as though Pixar's recent movies (ever since Disney bought them, that is) are not as fulfilling as they once were.

Published 3 months ago by Simon Bergeron

5.0 out of 5 stars The harrowing adventures of a red haired heroine, June 25 2012
L. Power "nlp trainer" (San Francisco) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)

Brave continues Pixar's amazing run becoming the studios 13th movie in a row to open number one at the US Box Office, with a highly impressive $66.7 million opening weekend.

A young redheaded princess named Merida, with a fiery sense of independence, the princess rebels against her princess training. When the queen attempts to marry her off, Merida can barely bear it, takes matters into her own hands, and challenges her suitors in an archery competition, setting events in motion that will change everyone's life.

We have a mysterious woman in the forest who may or may not be a wi..., I mean a woodcarver, and a bad bear. We also have her mischievous brothers. All of them are a bit wild, and Merida is a bit of a tomboy.

The distinctive voice of Billy Connolly voices the overly muscled King, with Emma Thompson playing the svelte queen, other well known actors such as Robbie Coltrane (Cracker) and Craig Ferguson voice the other parts, Julie Walters voices the witch and newcomer Kelly MacDonald does an excellent job voicing Merida.

Setting the tale in Scotland I think adds to it and offers unique opportunities for humor, and developing Merida as a personality who is independent makes her somewhat admirable, rather than the standard depiction of a beautiful princess, which lets face it, is somewhat cliche at this point. I do not usually go to see a Pixar movie unless the premise grabs me, and this one did.

Some people say the movie might be scary for young children, but I think children do need to experience the whole range of emotions, and I personally did not find it scary. I did find it humorous.

I think most people will love it, and I hope this was helpful.

4.0 out of 5 stars More action than most Pixar titles, but still has a little magic, July 2 2012
Steven Aldersley (Oshawa, Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Pixar has produced some of the best animated films ever made, and even the worst offerings are better than the work of most rival studios. However, after seeing trailers for Brave, I found myself wondering whether it would live up to my expectations. People running into walls or being hit in the groin are usually there to get a few cheap laughs and I expect more from a Pixar movie.

I shouldn't have worried.

Brave is aimed at a younger audience than Pixar's best work like Ratatouille and Up. Although it does contain deeper themes, such as conflict between mother and daughter, and dealing with society's expectations, the story is easy to follow. There were quite a few small children present in the theater when I saw the movie and I could hear them laughing and curiously asking questions about the characters. It also worked for me, and I'm by no means a small child.

A few of the action scenes and some of the scenes set in the dark forest might worry very young children, but I don't think there's anything frightening enough to stop anyone seeing Brave.

Those who were complaining that Pixar hasn't featured a female protagonist finally have a reason to celebrate; Merida (Macdonald) is featured heavily throughout, and she's a princess, although not in the traditional Disney style. You will hear a couple of songs, and there is a witch in the story, but Brave is not simply rehashing the formula exhausted in Snow White, Sleeping Beauty and Cinderella. Instead, Merida is like a tougher version of Rapunzel from Tangled.

Brave is a coming-of-age tale set in ancient Scotland. The main clan-leaders all have sons, and Merida is expected to marry one of them. Unfortunately, she doesn't feel ready for marriage and wants time to discover how she feels about adult pursuits. All she really wants to do is enjoy her childhood, ride her horse, and practice her archery. This is essentially a story about a girl trying to change her fate.

Some of the supporting characters are funny. Her potential suitors are an interesting bunch of misfits, and they supply a few laughs early in the story. Merida's three younger brothers appear regularly and are used in very inventive ways.

Be prepared to hear Scottish accents throughout the movie. It reminded me somewhat of How to Train Your Dragon in that respect. I didn't find myself rooting for Merida as strongly as I rooted for Remy in Ratatouille because the outcome never really felt in doubt. Although Merida faces considerable peril, I never suspected that things would end badly.

The voice acting was particularly good. Merida's father (Connolly) stole a lot of scenes and was the source of much of the humor. Kelly Macdonald did well as Merida and kept her likable, even though some of her actions were misguided. I also noticed how effective Patrick Doyle's score was. Unlike most Pixar movies, Brave is full of action, and the music enhanced those sequences considerably.

The opening five minutes provided some of the strongest scenes in the movie as we were able to see Merida as a small girl and the relationship she had with her parents. Other magical moments included her encounter with will o' the wisps in the forest. Both of these elements reminded me of Studio Ghibli works, but Brave couldn't maintain that high standard for the whole movie.

What we are left with is an enjoyable 90 minutes with plenty of laughs. There's less substance than that found in the best Pixar movies, but it's still a worthy addition and I will buy the Blu-ray when it is released. The overall look of the animation does match Pixar's excellent standards and it's hard to imagine it looking any better. Be prepared for a few cheap laughs, but don't miss it in theaters. I saw the 3D version and I don't think it added anything to the experience, so stick to the 2D version if you want to save a few bucks.

I was pleasantly surprised by the full movie after being disappointed by the rather formulaic trailers. I should also mention that La Luna, the latest short from Pixar, airs immediately before Brave. That's well worth your time too.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Pixar ode to feminism and personal freedom, Dec 29 2013
Simon Bergeron - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

The movie centers around a young woman whose parents arranged for her to be married to someone she doesn't even know or likes. Deciding to compete against all odds, she "fights" for her own hand, claiming her own freedom to choose. Sure, the plot is predictable, most of the humorous situations are really funny, but there's something that feels 1990s in this. The feminist message feels old, a few steps backwards, in fact. All this negativism said, the positive outweighs its counterparts with quirky dialogs, stunning animation and wonderful characters. This feels like "How to train your Dragon" without the dragons... as if Pixar and Dreaworks were entered into a personal war to upstage the other, and if you ever thought that, you may not be too wrong.

I remember a time when Toy Story was a surprise for kids and adults alike, all up until Toy Story 3 back in 2010. Since then, well, let's say the visual quality is as beautiful as ever, with many interesting characters and all, but ("Brave" included) there's a part of a soul that's missing, something that made Monsters, Inc., The Incredibles, Wall-e, Finding Nemo, Ratatouille and more to be so cherished and watchable over and over again.

The second disc, hosting most of the special features, doesn't contain a lot. It looks like a lot, but there's a lot left to be desired. Almost no one from the voice acting is interviewed, and it focuses majorly on the technical feats achieved by the Pixar gang. Don't get me wrong, I love knowing about the technical aspect of things, but having so few meaningful featurettes makes me wish we were back in the old days when special features covered almost the entire production and didn't need to be too long to justify a second disc.

"Brave" is entertaining, good fun, but is riddled with something Disney-esque, which doesn't help the movie feel entirely "Pixar"'s own project. If that is the case, I wish Disney would leave them create alone without having a word to say in the future. It's starting to hurt the quality and it's been years I haven't watched a Pixar movie in the theatres... 5 years to be exact.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brave, Nov. 30 2012
This dvd is superb, not only for children, but for old people with a young heart. I saw it in a cinema and all I saw were mothers with their daughters, very enlightning and that's why I wanted to own the dvd.

5.0 out of 5 stars OK, so I’m a Pixar junkie., Nov. 27 2012
K. Gordon - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I'll admit 'Brave' doesn't have quite the wall to wall boldness, rule-breaking and sheer brilliance of the very best
of Pixar's work, but I'll still take it over 95% of the Hollywood films I've seen this year. It never bored me, it made
me smile a lot, laugh a little, and was a more touching look at the complexity of mother and daughter
relationships than most 'grown-up' films that try to deal with the subject.

It also has a heroine who is a spunky, tough and first rate advocate for girl power, while still being heart-meltingly vulnerable
at just the right moments.

It has tremendously talented voice actors in Billy Connolly, Kelly Maccdonald, and especially Emma Thompson.

Most important, it has a twist half-way through that takes it in a delightfully unexpected direction. I will admit, for the first
half I was a bit under-whelmed, The film seemed more Disney than Pixar,with 'safe' humor and ideas. Just a touch disappointingly predictable.
But then a witch gets involved in this medieval Scottish tale, and with a twist that's more Shakespearian comedy than Disney, suddenly this is
a new film we haven't seen before. The second half easily won me back over, and I was left feeling, as I always seemed to be, that working
for Pixar must be just about the greatest job in movies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brave, Nov. 21 2012
Duchess "Duchess" (Edmonton, Alberta, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Brave (Sous-titres français) (DVD)
This is another excellent movie with a fun storyline. We chose this based on the previews we saw of it, and also the fact that the movie was developed by a familiar name -- John Lasseter. This is the same man who also was involved in such storylines as Tangled, The Princess and the Frog, Ratatouille, Up et al. We enjoyed these other movies that were done by him and so we took our chances. I don't think that there is anything more that I can say in regards to how to explain the storyline as others have explained the storyline just fine. My husband and I both had some good laughs out of it and we also thought that the price was not too bad. (Now that the price has gone up because of the Christmas season coming up, I'd wait until after the New Year to get it though, unless you can get it for a more reasonable price somewhere else). We both feel that this is another good investment to our movie library and would recommend it to anyone else that likes these kind of movies. The cinematography was great, the storyline was just as good and for the price I paid for it, it was worth every penny!

4.0 out of 5 stars Plenty of spunk, Aug. 27 2012
OpenMind "R Granger" (Calgary, Alberta, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
I usually like more unorthodox films, especially suspenseful or darkly comic ones...

...but I also LOVE Disney/Pixar movies. Some of my favourites are Monsters Inc., Finding Nemo, and Up, but I've seen many more. Brave falls into the middle of the pack as far as the narrative goes, but is still visually appealing and is worth a few laughs.

Brave follows the adventures of Merida, a lovely Scottish lass who's strong-willed and free-spirited. Her parents have decided to marry her off to one of the local chieftains' sons, but she has others ideas for her young adulthood, archery and equestrianism being among her top priorities. The only way she can conceive of to stop her wedding from going through is to seek help from a mysterious woman in the woods...which has unintended consequences (who would have thought?).

Merida's plan goes pear-shaped, hijinks ensue, and a tidy resolution occurs. The storyline is extremely basic and overall lacks suspense and danger, which is not to discount the heroine's courageous deeds.

Where Brave's strengths lie are:

1) Its artistic rendering. Beautiful landscapes, textures, and colours. Sorry to the otaku out there, but even the best anime has nothing on what Disney/Pixar are doing these days.

2) Its message (and I'm not one for trite morality tales). Disney reinvents its "princess" archetype with a plucky, pretty, modest, and quick-witted young woman who takes charge of her fate--unlike the princesses of yore, whose destiny and raison-d'etre were tied to the prince. This movie's themes are compromise, making amends, and considering one's actions on others.

3) Its humour. Billy Connelly (who voices Merida's father) is responsible for most of the laughs throughout the movie. It's unfortunate the writers couldn't come up with a few more gags and jokes for the rest of the film.

All in all, Brave should be purchased by those who want to add to their collection or who have young children looking for a good mix of action, cuteness, and humour (and who aren't picky about things like a well-crafted plot). For the rest of us, though, a simple rental will suffice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Be careful what you wish for -- Absolutely Delightful :), July 7 2012
Amazon Customer (Baltimore, MD, USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
What a wonderful family film! I guess it's a "kid's" film but I absolutely LOVED it! It has such wonderful lessons and it was done so well. The film is happy and sad, funny, and has emotional momemts, even a touch of magic is in the air. It is colorful and has music, even to the bagpipes of Scotland. This is a Disney Pixar film, so you have the wonderful animations that feel almost human.

The movie begins with the king and queen playing with their little red-haired daughter on her birthday. Even at the ripe old age of maybe 5, little Merida is headstrong, bright, and bubbly. And she sees the wisps, a kind of blue fairy type light that sends her in certain directions.

We watch Princess Merida grow, and be instructed in the ways of a Princess by her "Mum," the Queen. Now that she is of age, Mum decides it is time to have a suitor party so the gents can compete for her hand. But Merida has a mind of her own. Just to add a little extra excitement, Merida has three young brothers (triplets!)

Again, this is a fun flick with lots of funny moments, some even laugh-out-louds. And the bagpipes are always special to me (some of my heritage). Some valuable lessons for the children about perception, seeing things in a certain way, responsibilities, listening to others, considering alternatives, forgiveness and love. Many of you with children will likely buy this movie when it becomes available.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brave 3D: Ultimate Collector’s Edition (blu ray)…another 3D/2D video/audio perfection from Pixar!, Nov. 14 2012
Dr. Joseph Lee (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (#1 HALL OF FAME)    (REAL NAME)
VIDEO (2D):

Brave arrives at blu ray with MPEG-4 AVC 1080p 2.39:1 encode. Pixar's amazing animation is simply stunning and gorgeous, bringing breathtaking life to Merida's world, making her somewhat humble adventure even grander and more satisfying. The film's palette is nothing short of magical, with lavish reds, fiery oranges, lovely greens, disarming earthtones, bright blues and inky blacks, all delivered via perfect colour and impeccable contrast. Detail is magnificent, capturing every nuance the animators saw fit to incorporate into their already jaw-dropping animation, like tattered kilt seams, tight tartan patterns, pinpoint freckles, scraggly beards, errant whiskers, shaggy manes, scuffed armor, knicked blades, matted fur, the smallest droplets of water, thinnest blades of grass, tiniest leafs on distant trees... nothing misses the mark. Edges are sharp and clean. The image is as pristine as they come. (5/5)

VIDEO (3D):

Brave 3D arrives with MPEG-4 MVC encode. Capturing the rapturously inviting world of its characters with absolutely pitch-perfect technical acuity, the 3D elements on this disc are immersive without being gimmicky, and depth is handled sensationally across the board. And picture quality is top-of-the-line; to boot: colour accuracy is rock solid, detail is impossibly sharp and well-defined, and black levels are steady from top to bottom. All the descriptions in the 2D are included here, but with an added more immersive experience. (5/5)

AUDIO (2D & 3D):

Both the 2D and 3D versions have the same fantastic and outstanding Dolby TrueHD 7.1 lossless track, with the 2D version also in Dolby TrueHD 5.1 too. Even in the film's opening minutes, the quality of the experience becomes abundantly clear, like the wind rustling the tops of the trees, the grass crunching beneath Merida's feet, the sudden deafening roar of a demon intruder, and the weight of the girl's father charging into battle. It only gets better from there too as Merida strikes out beyond the castle grounds, into the wild wood and farther. The rear speakers, meanwhile, create a truly enveloping and immersive soundfield. (5/5)

MOVIE:

The impetuous, tangle-haired Merida, though a daughter of royalty, would prefer to make her mark as a great archer. A clash of wills with her mother compels Merida to make a reckless choice, which unleashes unintended peril on her father’s kingdom and her mother’s life. Merida struggles with the unpredictable forces of nature, magic and a dark, ancient curse to set things right. The choice of Kelly MacDonald, Emma Thompson, Billy Connolly and Julie Walters as voices for Merida, Elinor, Fergus and the Witch respectively, is simply perfect. (4.5/5)

TRIVIA:

Brave has an estimated budget of $185 million, but only grossed $236 million, a disappointment, when compared to Toy Story 3 ($1,062 million), Finding Nemo ($865 million) and Up ($727 million).

This film marks the first time a Pixar produced film has a female protagonist. Princess Merida is also the first Pixar character to be included in the Disney Princess line.

Two additional computer softwares were specially developed for this film by Pixar in the period of three years. One of them allows simulation of Merida's 1500 strands of hair curls to move together with her movements.

Brave is the first film to use the new Dolby Atmos sound system. The new system expands from the 5/7.1 channel sound mixes to 64 discrete speaker feeds and 128 simultaneous and lossless audio channels. Wow! A really holosonic soundfield!

PACKAGING:

It has a 3D lenticular cover, and consists of 5 discs: 3 BD-50 discs and 2 DVDs. The 3D and 2D versions are in separate blu ray discs, plus one BD-50 disc for Bonus Features. The 2 DVDs are standard DVD and Digital Copy.

FINAL THOUGHTS:

Brave isn't Pixar at its best, but while watching this 3D Blu-ray edition of Brave, you probably won't care all that much: this release is a technical stunner, milking every drop of potential out of its high-def capacity. It is one of the best, if not the best 3D movie this year. If you have a 3D TV, this 3D/2D set is definitely preferred, because the pictures in both 3D and 2D are equally stunning, plus a top-notched audio track. This set is definitely very highly recommended.

UPDATE (FEBRUARY 24, 2013):

Congratulations to Brave who deservedly won the Oscar for Best Animated Film. Brave and Wreck-It Ralph (also nominated) are truly the better animated features in 2012. Merida in Brave also reminded me of the Best Actress Oscar winner Jennifer Lawrence who starred in The Hunger Games.

2.0 out of 5 stars meh, March 27 2014
It's a cute movie but I don't find the story line all that original. There are some extremely frightening and dark scenes in this movie which sort of put me off as I was looking for an actual kids movie. I bought it for my 3 year old but realized it was totally inappropriate for him.

ARRAY(0xbbce693c)

Brave (Sous-titres français)
Brave (Sous-titres français) by Kelly MacDonald (DVD - 2012)
CDN$ 35.99 CDN$ 24.67