Auto Simple and secure cloud storage summerbaby Furniture Kindle Music Deals Store Cycling Tools minions boutiques-francophones

Philips HF3520 Wake-Up Light Coloured Sunrise Simulation, White
Price:$156.91+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on October 3, 2012
Sanyo, my previous alarm clock was my bedmate for the last 25 years. Every morning she would wake me up with the same buzz until one day she got really sick and just started desperately blinking and gasping.

I hastily took her to my emergency workshop operating room to try and save her, but nothing could be done, she would forever remain silent in her magnificent faux-wood case.

Although stricken with grief by the loss of my faithful companion, I found the courage to get out and start meeting other alarm clocks. I was dismayed by the ones that crossed my path, none were as charming as my beloved Sanyo and I was slowly succumbing to the realization that I was going to be forever alarm-less.

That's when I met Philips HF3520/60. At first I was intimidated by her expensive look but she quickly seduced me with her full curves, smooth pale skin and blushing red cheeks.

When one morning she finally lit up and let me hear her beautiful voice, I knew she was the one.

She is different, she is beautiful, she is refined and most of all she wake me up gently every morning.

Now for the review:

Pros:

- High quality materials, assembly and finish, looks like something Apple would make
- Very intuitive controls, I was able to set it all up without reading the instructions
- LED-based lamp as opposed to the halogen bulb of the previous model
- The sunrise light and birds sound wake you up gently
- The automatic dimming of the front display is great to minimize light in the bedroom at night
- Thick silicon pads to prevent scratching your furniture
- The five built in sounds are good except for the annoying seagulls in the "ocean" sound.
- You can use it as a reading lamp
- If you set the lamp to the lowest setting, it glows a soft red-orange, creating a nice candle-like ambiance in the bedroom for those intimate moments with your love one.

Cons:

- The base is small and the alarm clock tall. A quick nudge could make it fall off the nightstand easily
- It uses a fairly thick power adapter which doesn't fit well behind my nightstand
- It doesn't track the date so you can't program the alarm to sound at a different time on the weekend (you can use the second alarm setting for this, but its manual)
on December 3, 2014
This product delivered everything it promised and has noticeably helped me feel more refreshed in the morning.
The light does feel natural and it is pretty nice to wake up to a slowly growing light mimicking the sun.

My one complaint:
I set the noise during the wakeup to the bird chirps however there seems to be one `fat` bird that makes a very annoying noise (HOO-HOO). Admittedly it is the bird that wakes me up (maybe by design) but it is very off putting. I almost wouldn't mind being woken up slower to the cute chirps.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon February 14, 2015
There are few things in life I have ever bought which have changed my life as much as this alarm clock. To give you a background, I used to have a 112db alarm clock wake me up every single day. I tried quieter alarm clocks but no luck. I would sleep through them. My loud alarm clock would SHOCK me awake and I would wake up with a pounding heart. I dreaded that feeling.

I never believed that a light based clock would ever wake me up, and boy was I wrong... I now wake up slowly and gently. I can never go back.

This is an amazing invention. 40 to 20 minutes before the time you wake up (you set that number) , the clock begins to light up very slowly. At first it's barely perceptible, but it slowly increases to the setting you choose (I choose maximum light).
When the clock hits the time you set, the sound kicks in. Gentle at first but it increases fast.

The clock has 5 different preset sounds for the sound alarm and I found them sufficient. I prefer the birds in the forest sound myself.
You can choose to have the clock play a preset radio station. It will work the same way. The clock will gradually increase the sound until you touch the clock face.

There is also a sleep function where you can turn on the radio as well as start with a clock fully lit and then hit this function. It will dim the light as well as the sound gradually (you set this interval) so that you can fall asleep like this. I don't find much use for this personally.

Here's what i found:

After months of owning this, the light ALONE wakes me up 90% of the time. That means I wake up before the sound alarm has a chance to kick in. The remaining 10% I get to hear the alarm.

There are however 2 major caveats I have to mention to anyone wanting to buy the clock.

#1. Keep your old alarm clock. Sadly this alarm clock has NO BATTERY BACKUP. Yep. As a result I kept my old 2 alarm clocks I always used and I set them for 15 minutes after the light clock. So If I set the light clock for 6am I set my regular alarm clocks for 615am in case I miss it.
In the months I had this clock I never needed this but power outages can happen. This is a problem but not worth taking a star off in my opinion.

#2. The room MUST be dark. Get good blinds or cover up your windows to make sure your room is as dark as possible. This is needed in order to create a contrast between the light of the clock and the room. My bachelor fix was to put cardboard boxes on the window. With the blinds closed you cannot see the boxes :) Your solution may vary but darkness is essential.

This is a phenomenal product and if you are thinking about it, definitely give it a try. It changed my life. Did I mention that it also doubles as a lamp?
on November 12, 2012
We purchased this wake up light a few weeks ago, and now that I have used it for a while, I don't know how I managed without it before!

I bought it for the wake up feature...I've always hated waking up in the winter months and feeling groggy until break time at work when I could sit by a window to help wake me up. Now, I feel fully alert before I even leave the door- even though it is still very dark out when I leave in the morning.

I didn't think I would use the fall asleep dimming light feature, but I have to say, I love it! I always used to have a hard time falling asleep, it would usually take me well over an hour. Now, I set the sleep light to dim over a period of 30 minutes, and I'm often asleep before it is even fully turned off!

The instructions do say that the light should be pretty close to your face to work- so on a nightstand, but we found that with two of us, for us to both be getting enough light, we did have to put it on the dresser at the front of the room, which seems to be bright enough for us.

The nature sounds are a really peaceful way to wake up every day. We were afraid that without the loud buzzer we're used to, we would sleep through it, but now with the slow lighting of the room, we do wake up with just the peaceful nature sounds. It is a really calming way to start the day.
on October 22, 2013
Anyone who has trouble waking up in the morning and/or falling asleep, this is for you!
I have tried prescription medication to help with sleep, along with natural remedies such as melatonin, and none compares with how I have found this product effectivity. It has helped me get into a better sleep wake cycle. Very natural with many different options and makes waking up much easier than before!
on December 17, 2012
The old one I have (HF3470) seems to be as bright (although it is rated lower it is not noticeable) and it is louder.
I am a very sound sleeper so I need the light and volume and the combination of the 2 alarms is nice
on January 3, 2015
I like the light, it does what it says. I wake up as soon as it starts to lighten in my room. Its a very gentle and clam way to wake up. But I find the control buttons hard to use. It's a definite design flaw. You can't see the buttons and they are small and spread out. I guess you have to train your brain through repetition as to where where the control buttons are and what they do. For this reason I find it somewhat frustrating to use. I was thinking to get the one that could be controlled by your I phone, but it was over $200 more to get that light and I thought it was too much to pay for an App. I think if they changed the design by having a small pad that sits flat on bedside table in front of the light face, producing from the bottom. Then the buttons would be more accessible and easer to see and use. Or make a remote control to control the buttons. Especially the on/off switch. So overall, the light itself performs great, and does what is says. It just needs some user friendly design tweaks.
on November 27, 2013
The product does wake me up. Works perfectly.

Considering, its cheap plastic, and doesn't offer some sort of internal backup power supply incase of energy loss, the product should not be more $75. As, such My issue is the price, $150 too much. The internal speakers are also cheap.
on August 9, 2015
I was pretty daunted by the price so I picked it up during the Prime sale. It was the only thing I found remotely worth it, but that's another post. As a heavy sleeper (I sleep through alarms, fire alarms, cats stepping on me, BF getting up in the night etc) this thing surprised me. You have to make sure it's turned toward you but when it is I wake up before the actual sound goes off. I'm really happy with the purchase. It's a great general night light too, adjustible dimness for reading is nice. Radio is ok, I don't really use it that much, reception seems average.

TLDR - Good for heavy sleepers, wake up feeling good instead of like a zombie every morning. 9/10 Would buy again.
on December 10, 2013
This light has lots of good features..

2 alarms, light sensor for display brightness, more nature sounds, independent light control (from alarm), sunset/sunrise simulation... etc.

However, what struck me was how dim it is compared to the HF3470. Although the light on HF3520 is much more directed, it is not nearly as bright. I measured the brightness using my cellphone ( I have 2 lamps side by side ), and the 3470 got double the readings compared to the 3520.. This is by no means scientific at all, I just wanted a machine to verify what my eyes were seeing: that the 3520 was much dimmer than the 3470.

The 3470 also throws light across the entire room, giving it a much brighter feeling. The 3520 gives a really directed beam of light, pointed at you and does not really cast much light into the rest of the room. That would not be so bad if the light was bright, which it is not. On the plus side.. the LEDs are much more energy efficient compared to the 100W halogen of the 3470. Unfortunately, this is not something I care greatly about..

Short version: Great features, but very dim compared to 3470. Not what I'm looking for, but maybe you will find it to be acceptable.

picture: http://www.amazon.ca/gp/customer-media/product-gallery/B0093162RM/ref=cm_ciu_pdp_images_0?ie=UTF8&index=0&isremote=0
review image