5.0 out of 5 stars Found a new companion
Sanyo, my previous alarm clock was my bedmate for the last 25 years. Every morning she would wake me up with the same buzz until one day she got really sick and just started desperately blinking and gasping.

Published 22 months ago by Mathieu Beauregard

2.0 out of 5 stars awkward configuration, received with failed button
Published 20 months ago by marclab

5.0 out of 5 stars Found a new companion, Oct. 3 2012
Mathieu Beauregard - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

I hastily took her to my emergency workshop operating room to try and save her, but nothing could be done, she would forever remain silent in her magnificent faux-wood case.

Although stricken with grief by the loss of my faithful companion, I found the courage to get out and start meeting other alarm clocks. I was dismayed by the ones that crossed my path, none were as charming as my beloved Sanyo and I was slowly succumbing to the realization that I was going to be forever alarm-less.

That's when I met Philips HF3520/60. At first I was intimidated by her expensive look but she quickly seduced me with her full curves, smooth pale skin and blushing red cheeks.

When one morning she finally lit up and let me hear her beautiful voice, I knew she was the one.

She is different, she is beautiful, she is refined and most of all she wake me up gently every morning.

Now for the review:

Pros:

- High quality materials, assembly and finish, looks like something Apple would make
- Very intuitive controls, I was able to set it all up without reading the instructions
- LED-based lamp as opposed to the halogen bulb of the previous model
- The sunrise light and birds sound wake you up gently
- The automatic dimming of the front display is great to minimize light in the bedroom at night
- Thick silicon pads to prevent scratching your furniture
- The five built in sounds are good except for the annoying seagulls in the "ocean" sound.
- You can use it as a reading lamp
- If you set the lamp to the lowest setting, it glows a soft red-orange, creating a nice candle-like ambiance in the bedroom for those intimate moments with your love one.

Cons:

- The base is small and the alarm clock tall. A quick nudge could make it fall off the nightstand easily
- It uses a fairly thick power adapter which doesn't fit well behind my nightstand
- It doesn't track the date so you can't program the alarm to sound at a different time on the weekend (you can use the second alarm setting for this, but its manual)

2.0 out of 5 stars awkward configuration, received with failed button, Nov. 29 2012
This review is from: Philips HF3520 Wake-Up Light Coloured Sunrise Simulation, White (Health and Beauty)
bought HF3520 and HF3470 at the same time for two different rooms. the best thing about the HF3520 is the sunset simulator, which really is surprisingly effective! also you can use as a lamp at any intensity in evening without affecting the wakeup intensity setting. There are a few things I don't like about it though (besides a mechanically defective button on the unit received which Philips has agreed to replace): first, the controls are not intuitive. most of the functions are around the outer edge, which is terrible for fumbling to find the right one to do what you want. for example, buttons for alarms 1 and 2 are roughly at 10 and 2 o'clock, respectively. sunset button is at 3o'clock. light on/off & intensity not too bad at 11o'clock, and radio on/off at 1o'clock is ok, but the volume controls are counter-intuitive (volume down is higher up at 12:30 than volume up lower down at 1:30). also not a fan of the touch-sensitive buttons on the front for menu and navigation; just the dots light up at first so you're not quite sure what you're pressing until you actually start pressing something. Second, the sound quality of the radio is comparable to $10 clock-radios. Third, the quality of the light output is also not great - nice and bright, and good range of adjustment, but the color rendering of the LEDs isn't very good, especially compared to the halogen in the HF3470, and the LEDs also flicker very noticeably when moving your eyes across the room at lower intensities (actually see reddish and whitish strobe effect).
Were it not for the sunset simulator and programmable wakeup intensity, I'd probably send it back and get another HF3470 instead.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great way to wake up, Nov. 5 2013
This is a great product for anyone who hates waking up in the morning and gets a little grumpy when the dark winter months hit. I read a lot of reviews of the similar models and even this one and I took a lot of time choosing this. The light gives just the right amount of light starting off faint and red working its way up to a bright white then nature sounds come on like birds chirping etc. when its time to get up. I'm usually up a little before the sound starts and I think the brightness and the time it takes before the sound comes on can be adjusted as well. Some people complain over the buttons and not knowing what they're hitting when they're waking up...they're just whiners. I've had this light for a little while now once you learn where the buttons are it's no problem at all. I like the sunset setting as well, gets my eyes adjusted for the dark and helps relax me too it can be set for different time durations as well. One thing should be noted you do have to set the alarm each day, I personally like this feature, sometimes I'm not at home so it's good that way it's not waking other people in the house up. If anyone from Phillips is reading this you should think about integrating your S.A.D. lights and some ambient white noises for going to sleep into this great alarm clock.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Whole New Meaning to Rise and Shine, Oct. 22 2013
Anyone who has trouble waking up in the morning and/or falling asleep, this is for you!
I have tried prescription medication to help with sleep, along with natural remedies such as melatonin, and none compares with how I have found this product effectivity. It has helped me get into a better sleep wake cycle. Very natural with many different options and makes waking up much easier than before!

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth The Money, Nov. 12 2012
We purchased this wake up light a few weeks ago, and now that I have used it for a while, I don't know how I managed without it before!

I bought it for the wake up feature...I've always hated waking up in the winter months and feeling groggy until break time at work when I could sit by a window to help wake me up. Now, I feel fully alert before I even leave the door- even though it is still very dark out when I leave in the morning.

I didn't think I would use the fall asleep dimming light feature, but I have to say, I love it! I always used to have a hard time falling asleep, it would usually take me well over an hour. Now, I set the sleep light to dim over a period of 30 minutes, and I'm often asleep before it is even fully turned off!

The instructions do say that the light should be pretty close to your face to work- so on a nightstand, but we found that with two of us, for us to both be getting enough light, we did have to put it on the dresser at the front of the room, which seems to be bright enough for us.

The nature sounds are a really peaceful way to wake up every day. We were afraid that without the loud buzzer we're used to, we would sleep through it, but now with the slow lighting of the room, we do wake up with just the peaceful nature sounds. It is a really calming way to start the day.

5.0 out of 5 stars summer all year, Oct. 27 2013
I always dreaded winter and realized that what I dreaded the most was 'waking up in the dark'. But that has changed since I purchased my Wake-up Light. I had been kicking around getting one for awhile and when a friend at work bought one last year and was singing the praises of his light, I promised myself that this year I would have one too. He is very jealous of my Sunrise Simulation model. I now wake up 'before' the alarm goes off and I actually feel 'awake'. Before I would be in a dazed state for an hour or more before I was ready to 'start my day'. The strangest thing I find, is that when I go to another room in the house, I'm actually 'surprised' when I look out a window and it's 'dark' outside. That's when I say to myself 'WOW' ....

3.0 out of 5 stars I like the old one better, Dec 17 2012
The old one I have (HF3470) seems to be as bright (although it is rated lower it is not noticeable) and it is louder.
I am a very sound sleeper so I need the light and volume and the combination of the 2 alarms is nice

3.0 out of 5 stars Lots of Features, but not as bright., Dec 10 2013
This light has lots of good features..

2 alarms, light sensor for display brightness, more nature sounds, independent light control (from alarm), sunset/sunrise simulation... etc.

However, what struck me was how dim it is compared to the HF3470. Although the light on HF3520 is much more directed, it is not nearly as bright. I measured the brightness using my cellphone ( I have 2 lamps side by side ), and the 3470 got double the readings compared to the 3520.. This is by no means scientific at all, I just wanted a machine to verify what my eyes were seeing: that the 3520 was much dimmer than the 3470.

The 3470 also throws light across the entire room, giving it a much brighter feeling. The 3520 gives a really directed beam of light, pointed at you and does not really cast much light into the rest of the room. That would not be so bad if the light was bright, which it is not. On the plus side.. the LEDs are much more energy efficient compared to the 100W halogen of the 3470. Unfortunately, this is not something I care greatly about..

Short version: Great features, but very dim compared to 3470. Not what I'm looking for, but maybe you will find it to be acceptable.

picture: http://www.amazon.ca/gp/customer-media/product-gallery/B0093162RM/ref=cm_ciu_pdp_images_0?ie=UTF8&index=0&isremote=0

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, Sept. 13 2013
Good light to read, and sunset feature is wonderful and wakes me up gently in the morning. It was a great purchase!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it., Jan. 14 2014
kristen smith (Vancouver, British Columbia Canada) - See all my reviews
I wish I had bought this years ago. I hesitated in the past to buy a Wake-Up Light because I wasn't convinced I would actually wake up to light and also I felt they were a bit overpriced. It did take a little bit to get used to and to get the settings just right - but after about a week I found myself enjoying waking up to the soft warm light.

Philips HF3520 Wake-Up Light Coloured Sunrise Simulation, White