5.0 out of 5 stars Found a new companion
Sanyo, my previous alarm clock was my bedmate for the last 25 years. Every morning she would wake me up with the same buzz until one day she got really sick and just started desperately blinking and gasping.

Published on Oct. 3 2012 by Mathieu Beauregard

2.0 out of 5 stars awkward configuration, received with failed button
Published on Nov. 29 2012 by marclab

5.0 out of 5 stars Found a new companion, Oct. 3 2012
Mathieu Beauregard - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)

I hastily took her to my emergency workshop operating room to try and save her, but nothing could be done, she would forever remain silent in her magnificent faux-wood case.

Although stricken with grief by the loss of my faithful companion, I found the courage to get out and start meeting other alarm clocks. I was dismayed by the ones that crossed my path, none were as charming as my beloved Sanyo and I was slowly succumbing to the realization that I was going to be forever alarm-less.

That's when I met Philips HF3520/60. At first I was intimidated by her expensive look but she quickly seduced me with her full curves, smooth pale skin and blushing red cheeks.

When one morning she finally lit up and let me hear her beautiful voice, I knew she was the one.

She is different, she is beautiful, she is refined and most of all she wake me up gently every morning.

Now for the review:

Pros:

- High quality materials, assembly and finish, looks like something Apple would make
- Very intuitive controls, I was able to set it all up without reading the instructions
- LED-based lamp as opposed to the halogen bulb of the previous model
- The sunrise light and birds sound wake you up gently
- The automatic dimming of the front display is great to minimize light in the bedroom at night
- Thick silicon pads to prevent scratching your furniture
- The five built in sounds are good except for the annoying seagulls in the "ocean" sound.
- You can use it as a reading lamp
- If you set the lamp to the lowest setting, it glows a soft red-orange, creating a nice candle-like ambiance in the bedroom for those intimate moments with your love one.

Cons:

- The base is small and the alarm clock tall. A quick nudge could make it fall off the nightstand easily
- It uses a fairly thick power adapter which doesn't fit well behind my nightstand
- It doesn't track the date so you can't program the alarm to sound at a different time on the weekend (you can use the second alarm setting for this, but its manual)

5.0 out of 5 stars A Whole New Meaning to Rise and Shine, Oct. 22 2013
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
Ce commentaire est de: Philips HF3520 Wake-Up Light Coloured Sunrise Simulation, White (Health and Beauty)
Anyone who has trouble waking up in the morning and/or falling asleep, this is for you!
I have tried prescription medication to help with sleep, along with natural remedies such as melatonin, and none compares with how I have found this product effectivity. It has helped me get into a better sleep wake cycle. Very natural with many different options and makes waking up much easier than before!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great way to wake up, Nov. 5 2013
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
This is a great product for anyone who hates waking up in the morning and gets a little grumpy when the dark winter months hit. I read a lot of reviews of the similar models and even this one and I took a lot of time choosing this. The light gives just the right amount of light starting off faint and red working its way up to a bright white then nature sounds come on like birds chirping etc. when its time to get up. I'm usually up a little before the sound starts and I think the brightness and the time it takes before the sound comes on can be adjusted as well. Some people complain over the buttons and not knowing what they're hitting when they're waking up...they're just whiners. I've had this light for a little while now once you learn where the buttons are it's no problem at all. I like the sunset setting as well, gets my eyes adjusted for the dark and helps relax me too it can be set for different time durations as well. One thing should be noted you do have to set the alarm each day, I personally like this feature, sometimes I'm not at home so it's good that way it's not waking other people in the house up. If anyone from Phillips is reading this you should think about integrating your S.A.D. lights and some ambient white noises for going to sleep into this great alarm clock.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth The Money, Nov. 12 2012
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
We purchased this wake up light a few weeks ago, and now that I have used it for a while, I don't know how I managed without it before!

I bought it for the wake up feature...I've always hated waking up in the winter months and feeling groggy until break time at work when I could sit by a window to help wake me up. Now, I feel fully alert before I even leave the door- even though it is still very dark out when I leave in the morning.

I didn't think I would use the fall asleep dimming light feature, but I have to say, I love it! I always used to have a hard time falling asleep, it would usually take me well over an hour. Now, I set the sleep light to dim over a period of 30 minutes, and I'm often asleep before it is even fully turned off!

The instructions do say that the light should be pretty close to your face to work- so on a nightstand, but we found that with two of us, for us to both be getting enough light, we did have to put it on the dresser at the front of the room, which seems to be bright enough for us.

The nature sounds are a really peaceful way to wake up every day. We were afraid that without the loud buzzer we're used to, we would sleep through it, but now with the slow lighting of the room, we do wake up with just the peaceful nature sounds. It is a really calming way to start the day.

4.0 out of 5 stars Happier mornings!/could be better, Jan. 11 2015
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
I bought the 3520 on Amazon.ca for myself on sale and it shipped very fast (although they could have padded it more). A nice but expensive alarm clock. About 19cm high, 19wide and 15deep made of glossy plastic (but it has some weight to it). It looks pretty. It glows brightly. The volume gets pretty loud of you need it. I doesn't tip unless you really whack it.
I used to be miserable and angry at my annoying alarm that beeped, so I switched to an alarm clock radio with a classical station and I was still upset. The 3520 is almost pleasant--but waking up before dawn still sucks. I use it as a reading light in bed and I like the "go to sleep/sunset" timer feature.
The coloured sunrise is very pretty and the LED light alone is enough to wake me sometimes if I am sleeping on my side facing the light on my bedside table. The audio (calm sounds or radio) starts off very quiet and will get loud enough to wake me even if I'm facing away from the light and buried under the covers.
I like how it has two alarms.
I like how the front buttons buzz as you touch them to give haptic feedback.
I like how the clock face auto dims depending on the light in the room. I like how it can display 24h time--no AM/PM mistakes.
The numbers could scroll a little faster when I hold the buttons to change the time.
This is a good product, but many obvious things have been overlooked in the design (I hope you're paying attention Philips!).
Needs:
-a battery back up in case of power outage
-2 USB power ports, at least 5.0v 2amp, for charging cell/tablet.
-Slightly bigger buttons with the light and radio buttons being much more prominent/higher/textured than the +, - buttons on each side of them.
-Better speakers, 2.1 audio?--stereo to improve the sound quality.
-Bluetooth connectivity and/or aux audio jack to play music from your phone.
-I would like it to connect with my phone but not be dependent on it like the iPhone version of this light--Standalone Philips! No apps!
This is not 5 stars, but it will do for now. -RL

4.0 out of 5 stars The light does feel natural and it is pretty nice to wake up to a slowly growing light ..., Dec 3 2014
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
This product delivered everything it promised and has noticeably helped me feel more refreshed in the morning.
The light does feel natural and it is pretty nice to wake up to a slowly growing light mimicking the sun.

My one complaint:
I set the noise during the wakeup to the bird chirps however there seems to be one `fat` bird that makes a very annoying noise (HOO-HOO). Admittedly it is the bird that wakes me up (maybe by design) but it is very off putting. I almost wouldn't mind being woken up slower to the cute chirps.

2.0 out of 5 stars awkward configuration, received with failed button, Nov. 29 2012
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
bought HF3520 and HF3470 at the same time for two different rooms. the best thing about the HF3520 is the sunset simulator, which really is surprisingly effective! also you can use as a lamp at any intensity in evening without affecting the wakeup intensity setting. There are a few things I don't like about it though (besides a mechanically defective button on the unit received which Philips has agreed to replace): first, the controls are not intuitive. most of the functions are around the outer edge, which is terrible for fumbling to find the right one to do what you want. for example, buttons for alarms 1 and 2 are roughly at 10 and 2 o'clock, respectively. sunset button is at 3o'clock. light on/off & intensity not too bad at 11o'clock, and radio on/off at 1o'clock is ok, but the volume controls are counter-intuitive (volume down is higher up at 12:30 than volume up lower down at 1:30). also not a fan of the touch-sensitive buttons on the front for menu and navigation; just the dots light up at first so you're not quite sure what you're pressing until you actually start pressing something. Second, the sound quality of the radio is comparable to $10 clock-radios. Third, the quality of the light output is also not great - nice and bright, and good range of adjustment, but the color rendering of the LEDs isn't very good, especially compared to the halogen in the HF3470, and the LEDs also flicker very noticeably when moving your eyes across the room at lower intensities (actually see reddish and whitish strobe effect).
Were it not for the sunset simulator and programmable wakeup intensity, I'd probably send it back and get another HF3470 instead.

3.0 out of 5 stars I like the old one better, Dec 17 2012
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
The old one I have (HF3470) seems to be as bright (although it is rated lower it is not noticeable) and it is louder.
I am a very sound sleeper so I need the light and volume and the combination of the 2 alarms is nice

4.0 out of 5 stars It really is as good as advertised!, Jan. 8 2015
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
This is a handy alarm clock / light / radio. Others have mentioned this and I will too - it really looks and functions like an Apple product. Apple fans would love this clock.

The good:

Easy as pie to operate. You don't even need to read the manual. The light settings allow you to use this as a reading light at night or a mellow night light to set a calming mood in the room. The different alarm sounds are all soothing and a much nicer way to wake up instead of standard alarm clocks. I've actually found that I wake up with the alarm now, like before it even goes off. The alarm light eventually gets brighter - to simulate a sunrise - and it seems like my body is already being tricked into this!

The bad:

Just due to the way it's designed, it can be weird to operate. The buttons are on the outer edges of the unit and are closely grouped together. So sometimes shutting off the alarm can either cause you to topple the unit over or inadvertently press a button you didn't want to. The other thing I noticed, an this is weird or maybe I'm doing something wrong, the unit doesn't have an AM radio dial. I found this odd. I usually listen to a news station on the AM dial in the morning and I can't with this unit because it doesn't seem to have that feature. The only reason I didn't give 5 full stars are because of these 2 shortcomings.

Overall I'm happy with this purchase and it really has made waking up a little more bearable, especially during the dark, cold winter months. My dog even seems to enjoy having the birds wake him up from his slumber. It's fun watching him freak out staring at the clock and not knowing where the birds are. Love waking up with a smile on my face. I'm sure the dog will go crazy soon enough though. :)

3.0 out of 5 stars Great light, could use some design tweaks., Jan. 3 2015
Kim Banfield (HAINES FALLS, NY, US) - See all my reviews
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
I like the light, it does what it says. I wake up as soon as it starts to lighten in my room. Its a very gentle and clam way to wake up. But I find the control buttons hard to use. It's a definite design flaw. You can't see the buttons and they are small and spread out. I guess you have to train your brain through repetition as to where where the control buttons are and what they do. For this reason I find it somewhat frustrating to use. I was thinking to get the one that could be controlled by your I phone, but it was over $200 more to get that light and I thought it was too much to pay for an App. I think if they changed the design by having a small pad that sits flat on bedside table in front of the light face, producing from the bottom. Then the buttons would be more accessible and easer to see and use. Or make a remote control to control the buttons. Especially the on/off switch. So overall, the light itself performs great, and does what is says. It just needs some user friendly design tweaks.

Philips HF3520 Wake-Up Light Coloured Sunrise Simulation, White