5.0 out of 5 stars Found a new companion
Sanyo, my previous alarm clock was my bedmate for the last 25 years. Every morning she would wake me up with the same buzz until one day she got really sick and just started desperately blinking and gasping.

Published on Oct. 3 2012 by Mathieu Beauregard

2.0 out of 5 stars awkward configuration, received with failed button
Published on Nov. 29 2012 by marclab

5.0 out of 5 stars Found a new companion, Oct. 3 2012
Mathieu Beauregard - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

I hastily took her to my emergency workshop operating room to try and save her, but nothing could be done, she would forever remain silent in her magnificent faux-wood case.

Although stricken with grief by the loss of my faithful companion, I found the courage to get out and start meeting other alarm clocks. I was dismayed by the ones that crossed my path, none were as charming as my beloved Sanyo and I was slowly succumbing to the realization that I was going to be forever alarm-less.

That's when I met Philips HF3520/60. At first I was intimidated by her expensive look but she quickly seduced me with her full curves, smooth pale skin and blushing red cheeks.

When one morning she finally lit up and let me hear her beautiful voice, I knew she was the one.

She is different, she is beautiful, she is refined and most of all she wake me up gently every morning.

Now for the review:

Pros:

- High quality materials, assembly and finish, looks like something Apple would make
- Very intuitive controls, I was able to set it all up without reading the instructions
- LED-based lamp as opposed to the halogen bulb of the previous model
- The sunrise light and birds sound wake you up gently
- The automatic dimming of the front display is great to minimize light in the bedroom at night
- Thick silicon pads to prevent scratching your furniture
- The five built in sounds are good except for the annoying seagulls in the "ocean" sound.
- You can use it as a reading lamp
- If you set the lamp to the lowest setting, it glows a soft red-orange, creating a nice candle-like ambiance in the bedroom for those intimate moments with your love one.

Cons:

- The base is small and the alarm clock tall. A quick nudge could make it fall off the nightstand easily
- It uses a fairly thick power adapter which doesn't fit well behind my nightstand
- It doesn't track the date so you can't program the alarm to sound at a different time on the weekend (you can use the second alarm setting for this, but its manual)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great way to wake up, Nov. 5 2013
This review is from: Philips HF3520 Wake-Up Light Coloured Sunrise Simulation, White (Health and Beauty)
This is a great product for anyone who hates waking up in the morning and gets a little grumpy when the dark winter months hit. I read a lot of reviews of the similar models and even this one and I took a lot of time choosing this. The light gives just the right amount of light starting off faint and red working its way up to a bright white then nature sounds come on like birds chirping etc. when its time to get up. I'm usually up a little before the sound starts and I think the brightness and the time it takes before the sound comes on can be adjusted as well. Some people complain over the buttons and not knowing what they're hitting when they're waking up...they're just whiners. I've had this light for a little while now once you learn where the buttons are it's no problem at all. I like the sunset setting as well, gets my eyes adjusted for the dark and helps relax me too it can be set for different time durations as well. One thing should be noted you do have to set the alarm each day, I personally like this feature, sometimes I'm not at home so it's good that way it's not waking other people in the house up. If anyone from Phillips is reading this you should think about integrating your S.A.D. lights and some ambient white noises for going to sleep into this great alarm clock.

2.0 out of 5 stars awkward configuration, received with failed button, Nov. 29 2012
bought HF3520 and HF3470 at the same time for two different rooms. the best thing about the HF3520 is the sunset simulator, which really is surprisingly effective! also you can use as a lamp at any intensity in evening without affecting the wakeup intensity setting. There are a few things I don't like about it though (besides a mechanically defective button on the unit received which Philips has agreed to replace): first, the controls are not intuitive. most of the functions are around the outer edge, which is terrible for fumbling to find the right one to do what you want. for example, buttons for alarms 1 and 2 are roughly at 10 and 2 o'clock, respectively. sunset button is at 3o'clock. light on/off & intensity not too bad at 11o'clock, and radio on/off at 1o'clock is ok, but the volume controls are counter-intuitive (volume down is higher up at 12:30 than volume up lower down at 1:30). also not a fan of the touch-sensitive buttons on the front for menu and navigation; just the dots light up at first so you're not quite sure what you're pressing until you actually start pressing something. Second, the sound quality of the radio is comparable to $10 clock-radios. Third, the quality of the light output is also not great - nice and bright, and good range of adjustment, but the color rendering of the LEDs isn't very good, especially compared to the halogen in the HF3470, and the LEDs also flicker very noticeably when moving your eyes across the room at lower intensities (actually see reddish and whitish strobe effect).
Were it not for the sunset simulator and programmable wakeup intensity, I'd probably send it back and get another HF3470 instead.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Whole New Meaning to Rise and Shine, Oct. 22 2013
Anyone who has trouble waking up in the morning and/or falling asleep, this is for you!
I have tried prescription medication to help with sleep, along with natural remedies such as melatonin, and none compares with how I have found this product effectivity. It has helped me get into a better sleep wake cycle. Very natural with many different options and makes waking up much easier than before!

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth The Money, Nov. 12 2012
We purchased this wake up light a few weeks ago, and now that I have used it for a while, I don't know how I managed without it before!

I bought it for the wake up feature...I've always hated waking up in the winter months and feeling groggy until break time at work when I could sit by a window to help wake me up. Now, I feel fully alert before I even leave the door- even though it is still very dark out when I leave in the morning.

I didn't think I would use the fall asleep dimming light feature, but I have to say, I love it! I always used to have a hard time falling asleep, it would usually take me well over an hour. Now, I set the sleep light to dim over a period of 30 minutes, and I'm often asleep before it is even fully turned off!

The instructions do say that the light should be pretty close to your face to work- so on a nightstand, but we found that with two of us, for us to both be getting enough light, we did have to put it on the dresser at the front of the room, which seems to be bright enough for us.

The nature sounds are a really peaceful way to wake up every day. We were afraid that without the loud buzzer we're used to, we would sleep through it, but now with the slow lighting of the room, we do wake up with just the peaceful nature sounds. It is a really calming way to start the day.

5.0 out of 5 stars 4 months now, quick review, Feb. 26 2014
Zeeinbc - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
The idea of spending $150+ for this light seemed a bit crazy at the time, but the reviews really sold it.

Now that I've had the wakeup light for 4 months, I can honestly say I'm still blown away by it. I still bring it up in random conversations. It's really really good!

The light slowly works its way on in the mornings before the desired wake up time. As per the marketing, you wake up naturally without feeling groggy and sleepy. Turns out - that's totally true! I'm much less grumpy and sleepy first thing in the morning thanks to this light. On cold winter mornings sometimes I'll wake up to the light, and then hide under the covers but the light also has a radio alarm that plays right at your wakeup time. So Eventually, it's getting you out of bed either way.

I ended up turning the light intensity down after about a week, as I found I was getting up around 20 minutes too early since it gradually gets brighter to whatever you set the max level. I went from 20 down to 12. I now wake up a few minutes before the alarm, so in time to get up and turn off the audible alarm.

My wife loves the night-time feature that gradually dims on a preset schedule (20,30,45,60mins etc) She's usually passed out by the end of the cycle.

In short, this thing has changed our mornings. I'm still not a morning person, but at least now I'm not groggy and grumpy every morning. So 5 stars. Maybe 4 1/2 - Here's why I'd take 1/2 a star if I could

cons:
It's not very heavy or that steady on its base, sometimes even just pushing the buttons on the right side, I find myself holding the left so it doesn't get pushed over.

It has two alarms, we use one for weekdays and one for weekends. They have to be pressed to turn on, there is no automatic schedule, for the price, you'd think they could have included some brains so it remembered the days of the week.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing difference, Oct. 30 2013
It is crazy what a difference this light has made in just a couple of days. It definitely gives you the feeling of waking up to the sun, which is really nice from September - April when you're up before the sun is.

Most important I suppose: Does it wake you up?

Both my SO and I have been awake before the nature sounds start every day. And we don't even have it on our bedside table like the instructions recommend. It is on a dresser about 7 feet away from the head of the bed. We have it set to 75% brightness and it is more than enough.

The "going to sleep" feature where it start bright and then dims is really nice if you like to use electronics before bed. The lighting on the devices is less harsh when you have the extra light in the room.

Now for nitpicking. The touch controls seem a bit finicky, but we only don't change our alarm very often so I don't see this really bothering me. The display is hard to read when you're just waking up/middle of the night, but it is easy enough to just read my cable box.

Overall I think this is a great product and worth the seemingly high cost.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointed, May 8 2014
The light didn't actually wake me up. I was unhappy with the sounds as well. The tracks were too short and repetitive. Annoying to wake up to.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best alarm ever?, Nov. 21 2014
Absolutely essential when living in places with long, dark winters! I was hesitant because of the price, but this makes a HUGE difference in our (myself and my partner) ability to wake up early feeling refreshed, even if it's still super dark outside. I love it and will keep something like this around from now on. I've had this one for about a few winters now, and it's still working perfectly. Wonderful device.

Edit: update after 1 year of use! Still going strong and is a great purchase (I waited to write the review after purchase, just wanted that to be clear.

2.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't do the trick for me, Nov. 19 2014
It doesn't wake me up. And when I do wake up to the sound of another alarm clock and open my eyes, the bright light hurts my eyes. I have to hide my face and cover my eyes to reach out to it to be able to turn it off. It's very strong, as it's intended, but it just triggers a headache for me.

Also, no matter what I did, I couldn't find the sounds for the sunset simulation. I looked several times in the manual, finally gave up.

I love the idea, still, but it's too expensive of a toy to use as a night lamp. Not for me.

Philips HF3520 Wake-Up Light Coloured Sunrise Simulation, White