summer boutiques-francophones vpcflyout Pets All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools Family

on October 3, 2012
Sanyo, my previous alarm clock was my bedmate for the last 25 years. Every morning she would wake me up with the same buzz until one day she got really sick and just started desperately blinking and gasping.

I hastily took her to my emergency workshop operating room to try and save her, but nothing could be done, she would forever remain silent in her magnificent faux-wood case.

Although stricken with grief by the loss of my faithful companion, I found the courage to get out and start meeting other alarm clocks. I was dismayed by the ones that crossed my path, none were as charming as my beloved Sanyo and I was slowly succumbing to the realization that I was going to be forever alarm-less.

That's when I met Philips HF3520/60. At first I was intimidated by her expensive look but she quickly seduced me with her full curves, smooth pale skin and blushing red cheeks.

When one morning she finally lit up and let me hear her beautiful voice, I knew she was the one.

She is different, she is beautiful, she is refined and most of all she wake me up gently every morning.

Now for the review:

Pros:

- High quality materials, assembly and finish, looks like something Apple would make
- Very intuitive controls, I was able to set it all up without reading the instructions
- LED-based lamp as opposed to the halogen bulb of the previous model
- The sunrise light and birds sound wake you up gently
- The automatic dimming of the front display is great to minimize light in the bedroom at night
- Thick silicon pads to prevent scratching your furniture
- The five built in sounds are good except for the annoying seagulls in the "ocean" sound.
- You can use it as a reading lamp
- If you set the lamp to the lowest setting, it glows a soft red-orange, creating a nice candle-like ambiance in the bedroom for those intimate moments with your love one.

Cons:

- The base is small and the alarm clock tall. A quick nudge could make it fall off the nightstand easily
- It uses a fairly thick power adapter which doesn't fit well behind my nightstand
- It doesn't track the date so you can't program the alarm to sound at a different time on the weekend (you can use the second alarm setting for this, but its manual)
11 comment|193 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon February 14, 2015
There are few things in life I have ever bought which have changed my life as much as this alarm clock. To give you a background, I used to have a 112db alarm clock wake me up every single day. I tried quieter alarm clocks but no luck. I would sleep through them. My loud alarm clock would SHOCK me awake and I would wake up with a pounding heart. I dreaded that feeling.

I never believed that a light based clock would ever wake me up, and boy was I wrong... I now wake up slowly and gently. I can never go back.

This is an amazing invention. 40 to 20 minutes before the time you wake up (you set that number) , the clock begins to light up very slowly. At first it's barely perceptible, but it slowly increases to the setting you choose (I choose maximum light).
When the clock hits the time you set, the sound kicks in. Gentle at first but it increases fast.

The clock has 5 different preset sounds for the sound alarm and I found them sufficient. I prefer the birds in the forest sound myself.
You can choose to have the clock play a preset radio station. It will work the same way. The clock will gradually increase the sound until you touch the clock face.

There is also a sleep function where you can turn on the radio as well as start with a clock fully lit and then hit this function. It will dim the light as well as the sound gradually (you set this interval) so that you can fall asleep like this. I don't find much use for this personally.

Here's what i found:

After months of owning this, the light ALONE wakes me up 90% of the time. That means I wake up before the sound alarm has a chance to kick in. The remaining 10% I get to hear the alarm.

There are however 2 major caveats I have to mention to anyone wanting to buy the clock.

#1. Keep your old alarm clock. Sadly this alarm clock has NO BATTERY BACKUP. Yep. As a result I kept my old 2 alarm clocks I always used and I set them for 15 minutes after the light clock. So If I set the light clock for 6am I set my regular alarm clocks for 615am in case I miss it.
In the months I had this clock I never needed this but power outages can happen. This is a problem but not worth taking a star off in my opinion.

#2. The room MUST be dark. Get good blinds or cover up your windows to make sure your room is as dark as possible. This is needed in order to create a contrast between the light of the clock and the room. My bachelor fix was to put cardboard boxes on the window. With the blinds closed you cannot see the boxes :) Your solution may vary but darkness is essential.

This is a phenomenal product and if you are thinking about it, definitely give it a try. It changed my life. Did I mention that it also doubles as a lamp?
on December 26, 2015
It's now been just under 2 months since I started using this. I do wake up while it's still dark out.
My impression so far is that it does help you wake up in a manner less stressful than a normal alarm clock, but only if:
1) You did get at least 5-6 hours of sleep.
2) You're not in the middle of a REM phase when the alarm goes off.
I use it with the singing birds, and a 20-minute "sunrise" simulation, but I still set the conventional alarm clock as backup.
One thing I REALLY don't like is that the sound loops after only about 15-20 seconds. For the price, Philips could have recorded a longer sequence.
In conclusion, I think this was a good buy but you need to use it for a while to get a noticeable effect.
I may revisit this review after I've used it longer.

If this review has helped you make a decision, please click "Yes" below.
on December 11, 2015
Let me just start by saying that, since I was a teenager, I have had difficulty waking up in the morning. The only thing that got me out of bed was other people (my loving mother threatening to pour water on my face as a child, my sweet brother knocking on my door to get me up for swim practice in my 20s, my dear fiance just happening to be an energetic morning person). Now that I live alone (dear fiance has temporarily relocated for work), it's all on me to get myself awake and out of bed. I have failed every morning, hitting the snooze button until the last possible moment, feeling like a failure, lamenting that I am sleeping my life away.

Until this morning. Not only did the gentle sunrise and soft chirping birds wake me up, but I was overcome with joy and happiness to be alive, the kind of feeling you might get the first morning on a tropical vacation, for those of us lucky to ever have had that experience. I am sincerely looking forward to making 2016 the year that I wake up early, hit the gym or at least journal and meditate before starting my day. And now I know that I can do that, all because of this lamp. It's worth every penny. If you're on the fence, buy it, you won't regret it.

Additionally, I am working on becoming a better sleeper in general, by reducing my stress/anxiety/cortisol levels, exercising outdoors, meditating before bed etc., so if you have trouble sleeping, you will want to invest in these other areas as well. But, because the light helps to reset your clock each morning, I'm hoping that overtime I will become a more consistent sleeper who naturally wakes up at 6 a.m. to greet the day with love and gratitude. I am so excited about this lamp and I only wish I had discovered it sooner!
on December 10, 2013
This light has lots of good features..

2 alarms, light sensor for display brightness, more nature sounds, independent light control (from alarm), sunset/sunrise simulation... etc.

However, what struck me was how dim it is compared to the HF3470. Although the light on HF3520 is much more directed, it is not nearly as bright. I measured the brightness using my cellphone ( I have 2 lamps side by side ), and the 3470 got double the readings compared to the 3520.. This is by no means scientific at all, I just wanted a machine to verify what my eyes were seeing: that the 3520 was much dimmer than the 3470.

The 3470 also throws light across the entire room, giving it a much brighter feeling. The 3520 gives a really directed beam of light, pointed at you and does not really cast much light into the rest of the room. That would not be so bad if the light was bright, which it is not. On the plus side.. the LEDs are much more energy efficient compared to the 100W halogen of the 3470. Unfortunately, this is not something I care greatly about..

Short version: Great features, but very dim compared to 3470. Not what I'm looking for, but maybe you will find it to be acceptable.

picture: http://www.amazon.ca/gp/customer-media/product-gallery/B0093162RM/ref=cm_ciu_pdp_images_0?ie=UTF8&index=0&isremote=0
review image
on December 17, 2012
The old one I have (HF3470) seems to be as bright (although it is rated lower it is not noticeable) and it is louder.
I am a very sound sleeper so I need the light and volume and the combination of the 2 alarms is nice
on October 22, 2013
Anyone who has trouble waking up in the morning and/or falling asleep, this is for you!
I have tried prescription medication to help with sleep, along with natural remedies such as melatonin, and none compares with how I have found this product effectivity. It has helped me get into a better sleep wake cycle. Very natural with many different options and makes waking up much easier than before!
on November 27, 2013
The product does wake me up. Works perfectly.

Considering, its cheap plastic, and doesn't offer some sort of internal backup power supply incase of energy loss, the product should not be more $75. As, such My issue is the price, $150 too much. The internal speakers are also cheap.
on December 10, 2015
I hate waking up on winter mornings. In the North the sun sets at 4pm and rises at 7am. Waking up to a sea of darkness is disorienting and only encourages me to repeatedly hit the snooze hoping that the next time I am awaken there will be light. On a whim I bought this bad boy, and after using it for a week I can confidently say that it has helped. The lamp is bright as hell, the LED display is adjustable and not intrusive in blackout conditions. The chirping bird alarm is a plus. Even better I paid $100 all-in for it. Waking to a room engulfed in light makes it easier to trudge out of bed and get on with the misery of the 8 to 5.

I give this 4 Baldwins out of 5.
on June 23, 2015
They work indeed as intented and I like them in general, however the quality is poor. The first one we bought did not snooze. After replacement from Amazon the speaker of the second unit stopped working after a month. Philips send a replacement, but I had enough. For the high price, much better quality is needed.