march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage snsflyout Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools Family

Format: DVD|Change

on February 1, 2013
After all the awful stuff on TV these days..this show stands out heads and shoulders above all! it is well done, well written, meaningful and interesting to watch..you cannot help but like it! maybe i am old fashioned..but shows that mean something and reflect life either now or as it once was are important to have..all these "reality shows" mean nothing..and will they be remembered in 20 years? probably not..
shows like Bonanza, The Waltons, and todays Murdoch Mysteries..are the true meaning of entertainment without profanity and sex...and Call the Midwife is a classic example of a series that will become a "classic" in its time..thanks for making this available to the public..
heather smith
tatamagouche , nova scotia
on December 31, 2012
It has been a very long time if ever that I have seen a series so well produced and acted the special effects and the facial/body language was so real it was as if you were there in real life.I hear there is another series coming and I just can not wait,an excellent job all round,
Sandy.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon November 26, 2012
When we first ordered this series, I was concerned that it might be boring and we would be sorry that we had bought it. I was very mistaken. Even though some of the births are quite realistic, this is a delightful movie. We laughed and cried. There's enough humor to ease the tension in the tough episodes. The acting is very good. I recommend this to people who enjoy finding out what life was really like in a former era.
on November 25, 2012
Watched this series on TV and just could not get enough of it, so I had to buy the video. I enjoy watching over again. All my friends love the series so the video will get passed around.
This is a fantastic show, following the stories of the midwives serving a poor East End community in London in the late 1950s. The series just isn't about the midwives, though, it's all about the people in the community as well... the midwives, the nuns, and most especially the mothers. The stories are very compelling and real, the characters are wonderful and rich. I have had tears in my eyes by the end of all of the episodes so far, and the hope and strength of all the ladies (and the men) in the show makes it so worth watching, especially when you see their courage in the face of extreme poverty.

The best part is, there are no actual "villains" or dislikeable characters. There characters are just real people that you want to see succeed.

Beautiful show. What more can I say? It will touch your heart.
on December 30, 2012
As an ex-pat and father of three from an English inner city in the fifties I found this series brilliant.A good balance of stiff upper lip,rough humour,sadness and joy,all portrayed by very good actresses and actors.Like a good book that one hates to finish,this video cannot be rushed.Ration yourself to a couple of episodes a week!The childbirth scenes may make a few fathers to be a bit queasy,but stay with it as it gets easier after the second or third time.Recommended highly for entertainment,an historical look back and many chances to view the human condition and empathize with the characters.Looking forward to the next series and the Christmas special that was not carried on my Bell PBS outlets.
on February 7, 2013
This series is wonderful. The setting and the characters are portrayed so well. I laughed and I cried and I cheered. Another great series from the Brits who are so good at attention to details and choosing the actors. I can't wait for season two.
on February 10, 2013
Based on a true story, really well done, very good actors. One of the best serie. Just ashame that there are only 6 episodes. Can't wait for the second sesond to come out.
on February 5, 2013
"Call the Midwife" provides a fascinating glimpse into the world of 1950s nursing/midwifery in an impoverished neighbourhood in London. The cast is superb and the characters are well-rounded. The stories are compelling, gritty, and sometimes heart wrenching. I am eagerly anticipating Season Two.
on February 24, 2013
I really loved this series, had seen one episode on PBS and was captivated. I am hoping there is a season 2.