4.0 out of 5 stars A bit more substance than most action movies
Published 24 months ago by Steven Aldersley

2.0 out of 5 stars really disappointing
I was disappointed. The reviews and trailers looked good. I like Tom Cruise but really this movie was not good. No real story...I saw it a few weeks ago and honestly can only remember that I did not like it and was totally disappointed in the purchase...I will never watch this again...
Published 16 months ago by JW

4.0 out of 5 stars A bit more substance than most action movies, Dec 29 2012
Steven Aldersley (Oshawa, Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Jack Reacher [Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy + UltraViolet] (Bilingual) (Blu-ray)
Director Christopher McQuarrie won an Oscar for his screenplay on The Usual Suspects, and he also wrote the screenplay for Jack Reacher. If you have seen the trailer, you might think that the movie is a pure adrenalin rush in the same vein as Taken, but that's not exactly correct. There is plenty of action, but McQuarrie also gives his characters time to breathe, and we learn a little about the backgrounds of most of the major players.

The movie begins with someone shooting five apparently random strangers from long range with a rifle. This is shown in close-up. In fact, this movie has more close-ups than any I have ever seen. It includes facial shots, point-of-view shots, and objects. The camera angles are also interesting. Perhaps the intention was to place us right among the action?

A man is arrested for the shooting and asks for Jack Reacher (Tom Cruise). Unfortunately, Reacher is something of a mystery and nobody knows how to contact him. When he does eventually appear, it's on his terms. We learn that he was an investigator of sorts while in the army, and he's enlisted by Helen (Rosamund Pike), who is the lawyer representing the accused man. Reacher isn't sure he's even guilty.

I don't think that I should give away many more plot points, so I'll talk more generally about what you can expect. But I will say that the story is fairly predictable.

I'm not a big fan of Tom Cruise, but I think this is one of his best performances and I would put it up there with Collateral. At 50 years of age, he's still a convincing action star, and I believed that he had the skills to do what he does in the movie. McQuarrie also keeps some of the action scenes realistic and things don't always work out perfectly for the hero.

You'll see Reacher investigating the crime, and we are shown how some of his realizations come to pass. There's an enjoyable cameo from Robert Duvall, and nobody gives a truly bad performance in the entire movie.

Action fans will enjoy a few fight scenes, a car chase, and a big shootout, but there's a story present at all times. This isn't a movie without substance. Reacher is the only character who is given much to do. At times it seems as though everyone else is standing around waiting to see what happens.

Jack Reacher won't blow you away, but it's better than the standard genre offerings. I could easily see it spawning a sequel, and I would probably go and see it.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of Tom Cruise's best movies, Aug. 1 2014
StarterQuest - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I'm not a big fan of Tom Cruise, but in this action packed movie he was awesome! I loved the books that this movie is based on and while Tom wasn't exactly what I had in mind for the character of Reacher, he easily pulls off the tough guy persona. The other actors in the film were pretty decent as well and do well in supporting roles. The way the film was put together was really great too - had a bit of a gritty feel to it, which suits the story.

Overall, 5/5 - if you like a lot of action, twists & turns, fights, guns, and car chases, you'll love this movie!

5.0 out of 5 stars Jack Reacher Blu ray, Aug. 7 2014
This is Tom Cruise in great form.
Reminds me a bit of Donny Wahlberg in Shooter,another movie I enjoyed.
Cruise plays a rough and ready ex military man that shows up out of no where to kill an ex army sniper who went bad before and ends up sleuthing to prove his innocence.Lots of action scenes.
Nice twists and turns in the plot and that's a good thing.
Keeps you guessing to up the entertainment factor.
Look out for Robert Duvall here to steal some scenes.
One that will be viewed again by myself no doubt.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent movie, June 6 2014
This review is from: Jack Reacher (Bilingual) (DVD)
Don't really enjoy the star usually but this was another one of those great movies that you have to work out. Enjoyed it very much.

4.0 out of 5 stars This is a good action flick and is well acted, Aug. 24 2014
GEOFF SOLOMON (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
I had been told the movie wasn't true to the book but since I rarely read books it worked in my favor. This is a good action flick and is well acted. Tome Cruise & Rosamund Pike are at the top of their games. It has an excellent story. It is fairly predictable but has some twists to keep it interesting.

4.0 out of 5 stars I had a great timewatch this, Nov. 9 2014
I had a great time watch this, I enjoy Tom Cruise and this movie plays out well, the whole tough hero doing his thing and causing mayhem along the way is easy to view and enjoy as the punches fly.... and a few kicks here and there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Movie, May 16 2014
Trishmtl (Quebec, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jack Reacher (Bilingual) (DVD)
We enjoyed this movie very much and are very happy with this product. We would recommend shopping with Amazon to all our friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best movie from a book ever, May 11 2014
This review is from: Jack Reacher (Bilingual) (DVD)
What a fantastic surprise this movie was...I wasn't sure about getting it, thinking how so many movies from books are nothing like the author's story...and when you like the author that is a HUGE disappointment. This movie was so accurate I was blown away and had to go back and read the book 'One Shot' again as I have most of Lee Child's books and hope more of them will be in movie form. Tom Cruise did an exceptional job, producing and acting, I figured he must have read some or all of Lee Child's bestsellers. This movie is a new favorite for me so of course, 5 stars for every category. It is definitely a movie I'll watch a number of times.

5.0 out of 5 stars FABULOUS, June 1 2013
This review is from: Jack Reacher (Bilingual) (DVD)
big follower of Lee Child. Love Love Loved this movie. kept me at the edge of my seat through out. Awesome.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, May 25 2013
This movie must be in my top 25 of all time. I can watch it over and over. I love this character and look forward to seeing more in future movies. Even if you are not a Tom Cruise fan...you have to like his version of Jack Reacher.

Jack Reacher [Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy + UltraViolet] (Bilingual)
CDN$ 39.99 CDN$ 14.96