5.0 out of 5 stars The big breakthrough for Rush
Published on June 20 2004 by Terrence J Reardon

3.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful title track, but too much filler
While many Rush fans will regard rating 2112 at anything under five stars as heresy, I feel I must look beyond just the title track and evaluate the oft forgotten *other* five tracks on the album.
Published on Aug. 9 2003 by Evil Lincoln

5.0 out of 5 stars The big breakthrough for Rush, June 20 2004
Terrence J Reardon "Classic rock guru" (Lake Worth, Florida, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 2112 (Audio CD)
In March of 1976, Canadian rockers Rush released their fourth album entitled 2112. This album was seen as their make or break disc after the disappointing results of its predecessor Caress of Steel. When initially released, it was the first Rush album to crack the Top 100 but would not go Gold until the success of its successor A Farewell to Kings a year later as would the live disc released in 1976 All The World's a Stage. The epic 20 minute plus title suite kicks off the album. It tells the Brave New Worldish story of one man's quest to find change. One day, he discovers a guitar and shows it to the evil priests but they destroy the guys creation and then the guy takes his own life at the conclusion of the track over dejection and despair. Bassist/vocalist Geddy Lee's work on this track is amazing. Guitarist Alex Lifeson wails on this track and drummer Neil Peart is on fire. Also of note, this was the first Rush track to feature synthesizers on the intro. The second half features two more Rush composed tracks A Passage to Bangkok(a live staple for the next few years) and The Twilight Zone. Alex Lifeson's Lessons follows and is a great tune. Geddy's ballad Tears is beautiful and poignant with Hugh Syme on keyboards. The concluding Something for Nothing is a great track and reminds us that we have to work for success and don't get things handed on a silver platter. Highly recommended!

4.0 out of 5 stars Back When The World Listened More Than Once, June 2 2004
This review is from: 2112 (Audio CD)
These days, 3 seconds seem like an eternity for the gullible masses who don't even bother if there's no simple hook to get perpetually drilled into their heads right from the get-go. I always knew there was a lot of substance to Rush. I just had the problem that many tend to have, that being with Geddy Lee's voice. Given that I am simply enamoured of Axl Roses's whinings and shriekings, that hardly seems fair, especially for such an intricate band such as Rush. Nonetheless, things are the way they are. For anyone who "respects" but can't "get into" Rush, make sure you understand that ESPECIALLY by today's standards, they may be somewhat of an acquired taste. And it's easy to look the other way...
But I've always WANTED to love Rush. They represent everything that is to be hailed about music; brains, talent, hard work, complex arrangements, and they ROCK. I knew I had to just buy an album, lock myself in a room, and listen to it over and over and over, and not come out until the epiphany.
It took forever, but allow me to gear myself towards prog/rock fans with similar issues: it's worth it.
2112 is a good starting point, as it is like listening to a symphony, a musical journey, more than just a collection of songs ready for radio. Thus, your mindset in the first place is much more open for a work like this. 2112 was made like some early Pink Floyd albums - one epic and a few songs to fill out the time. However, I don't call them "filler" - indeed, such tag-along-songs are more often than not, golden nuggets in and of themselves. Allow me to highlight the wonderful gem, "Tears." A wonderful, creative, and haunting melody floats over a very uniquely atmosphered soundscape. Tender, yet dark. For the most part, the other non-epic tunes here are general classic rock songs (not a bad thing).
But epics have a way of outdoing "general classic rock" - and so let us return to the nucleus of the review (and the album!). 2112 is a brilliant composition. The band really gels as musicians, with Alex Lifeson's thoughtful guitar playing being a perfect compliment to Neil Peart's unbridled sense of storytelling (oh and btw he plays drums PERFECTLY and may frustrate you to want to quit-fortunately I'm not a drummer). And what's scarier, the thematic events of "we have no need for ancient ways" /... "it doesn't fit the plan" have come into dangerous fruition with regards to the music industry's recent suppression of substance.
The most important concept in this review (which is one of the most important concepts about music, if I may be so bold), is that sometimes, patience is rewarded. I wanted in, so I listened over and over. If you give it a chance, you'll get lost in its world of greatness. If you dismiss this after a few spins, you never gave it a chance to stick in the first place.
So to end where I began, I'll skip the in-depth analysis of the music, simply because that's been done elsewhere many many times. What I can offer is the perspective of someone who didn't "live through" the 70's and had to get into prog backwards (Dream Theater and Queensryche are my roots). 2112 is a can't-fail album for anyone - the ["controversial"] singing doesn't even begin until a full length instrumental overture has revealed the piece's many themes. It's plenty of time to absorb the music and become involved. Once the vocals hit, they seem more like any other contributing instrument to a well-blended band, as opposed to a dominant force you just wish would "get out of the way" so you can appreciate the rest of it.
Regardless, there's much to appreciate. It's an understatement to say that without Rush/this album, much greatness would not have been able to draw influence from said entity. And although commercially, prog has seen better days, right here is why there's any hope at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars MASTERPIECE!, June 11 2004
This review is from: 2112 (Audio CD)
This is where I started my RUSH journey. I have been a fan for most of my life (30 years as long as they have been around). My older brother, Tom, was a fan of RUSH when I was born. I grew up listening to RUSH while Tom jammed along on his guitar. I used to beg him to play this album over and over. Today I am going to permanently mark my body with ink to honor RUSH and their 30 years of existence. I will emblazon my right arm with the bold black characters "R30" after their 30th anniversary tour logo. 2112 is RUSH's best album, and when I got a CD player for the first time in 1989 this was the CD I bought to play. ORDER IT AND YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful title track, but too much filler, Aug. 9 2003
This review is from: 2112 (Audio CD)
The 20-minute title track is a pretentious, purposely un-commercial classic. It is the first time that Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson and Neil Peart seem to have sat down and honestly tried to write a cohesive musical story with other goals than just to make it time-consuming. "2112" is seven short-form songs strung together as one beautiful concept piece based on Ayn Rand's novella Anthem (true story: I read Anthem for the first time a few scant days before hearing "2112" for the first time- and I had no idea of the book's or the author's inspiration of the Rush. Imagine how freaked out I was!) Sometimes I wish the seven parts were divided up into their own separate tracks (like they are on the Different Stages live album), but if I listen to "Overture" and "The Temples of Syrinx," I'm usually sucked into the whole song, so it hardly matters. There's really nothing else I can really add to the rave reviews that this song has received.
Now, do you want to know something really surprising?
There are five other songs on this album!
Yes, believe it or not, there is a quintet of under-four minute tracks that make up the second side of 2112. Unfortunately, only one of them is worth listening to more than once. "A Passage To Bangkok" is a tongue-in-cheek adventure in search of the world's best...um, coffee. Yeah, coffee. The song has a great guitar riff and a passionate singing by Geddy, not to mention a killer guitar solo and a fun drumbeat.
Too bad the rest of the short pieces fall unbelievably short of that. "The Twilight Zone" has a great rhythm and really rocks musically, but the problem lies in Geddy's vocal delivery. It's too uneven for me to like it.
"Lessons" and "Tears" are just throwaway filler tracks. The only noteworthy thing about "Lessons" is it's Alex Lifeson's first (and last) time credited with Rush lyrics.
"Something For Nothing" seems to have gained the status of a minor classic. It stayed in Rush's live set for a while, and even appeared on two live albums and the Retrospectives greatest-hits compilation. And while it's a lot better than the three previous songs on the album, it's not worth listening to more than two or three times. "Something For Nothing" seems improvised, and it runs out of steam soon after it begins.
I guess I should say that I think 2112 is definitely worth the money. The title track and "A Passage To Bangkok" are enough to warrant a purchase. You might enjoy the remaining songs more than I did, but it's hard to argue that they're meant as anything other than filler. Their next release, A Farewell To Kings, was made up of nothing but top shelf, A+ material, so they learned a thing or two after this.

5.0 out of 5 stars A True Classic, June 18 2004
Christopher Heckmann "vthockeyplaya" (Annandale, Virginia United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 2112 (Audio CD)
As a new Rush fan, I had to decide which album I would buy first. So naturally I chose 2112. If a song is 22 minutes long, it's gotta be good. The opener, which is broken into sub-songs is a true masterpice. The best part of the album is when "Temple's of the Synix" kicks in about 4 minutes into 2112. The gutiars scream and Geddy's voice howls out in a pitch that no other human can reach "we've taken care of everything, the words you read, the songs you sing", my personal favorite line in any Rush song. The next 5 songs on the album are no 2112, but they're still pretty damn good. This is a must have for any classic rock fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Review For 5.1 Blu Ray Edition, Dec 23 2012
Stephen Bieth (Mississauga/ Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: 2112 (Deluxe Edition CD+Blu-ray) (Audio CD)
First off this is my fav. Rush record. They have made a few classic albums but this one was the first album of theirs I bought. The whole album is great but the first side with the full 2112 on it is a masterpiece. The 5.1 mix is some of the best ear candy that you will ever hear. This really is a record that was made for 5.1. As a surprise bonus they have done motion comics for each of the songs. The 2112 part takes you through the whole story. What a great idea for this format. This mix has nice range. I feel it is not part of the loudness wars going on right now (thank you MP3 people). The tracks are not overly compressed and the 5.1 mix is true to the original two track master. If you like Rush or if you have not heard them but like Progressive rock this is for you. If you are new to the world of 5.1 and want some ear candy to play on your new toy well this is the one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Science fiction meets rock 'n roll (and happily at that...), Feb. 19 2004
William Grother (Robbinsville, New Jersey United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 2112 (Audio CD)
We're only 8 years from the title, but "2112" shows a tremendous amount of prescience in its treatment of the future. Neil really let it all hang out with his treatment of a future world which seems comfortable, well-manicued, but stark and sterile. Before there was Luke Skywalker there was the protagonist of "2112", discovering an ancient power, unlocking a mystery, and defying the masters of society.
Heady stuff.
Like so many other early Rush pieces, the music of the "2112" suite runs the gamut from power chords to lilting tunes to heart-pounding rhthyms Alex spends a lot of effort ripping through you, only to bring the tempo down or slew it sideways when you least expect it. When all is said and done, you feel emotionally worn out. And so the band makes a brief stop to pick up some mood enhancers before moving on... ;)
"The Twilight Zone" is as good a rendering of what the show was like as anything and Geddy's hushed vocals (in contrast to the razor-sharp power of "The Temples of Syrinx") bring it just the amount of spooky you need.
Not many will mention Rush and love songs in the same breath, but "Tears" is a poignant ballad nonetheless. It just points out the band's versatility.
Perhaps there are better Rush albums technically or spiritually but for my money there are none better emotionally. "2112" brings you on a trip you don't soon forget.

5.0 out of 5 stars 2112 - "The Break Out Album" A MUST POSSESSION!!!!!!!!!, Jan. 22 2004
michael rhodes (Silverdale, Washington) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 2112 (Audio CD)
Anyone who knows RUSH history knows how critical this album was for the trio. Back in 1975 following disapointing sales of "Cares of Steel", their worst comercial venture yet, 2112 was a make or break venture for the band. Many people close to the band knew that if sales didn't improve, the strategy was to release one last live album, & call it quits. Their solution was to present a rock opus that was just as much aggressive as it was intriguing. The result - Let's just say this was "the break out album" for RUSH. RUSH not only proved they were a force to reckoned with in Europe, Canada, & the USA, but as record sales soared for the first time in their career, it gave the band a new sense of hope for the future. 2112 is without a doubt the best "first phase" RUSH album. If someone approcahed my as asked what are the top 3 RUSH albums - I would respond - 2112(1st Phase), Moving Pictures(2nd Phase) Grace Under Pressure (Final Phase).
2112 is a must!!!!!!!!!! even if you are not a dedicated fan.
Cyrus Rhodes
rhodesm@charter.net

5.0 out of 5 stars Who do you think you are??? Michael??, Dec 22 2003
This review is from: 2112 (Audio CD)
2112 is an absolute masterpiece. Geddy Lee is the best bassist in the world and a great singer and probably has alot more money than you MIKEY! And as for the nerdy drummer. Every drummer I have ever met thinks highly of Neil's LYRICS and drumming. In fact, most claim; he is the greatest drummer of all time. And the band has pretty good looking wifes for NERDS. As for the album, I disagree with MIKEY again. I feel Rush's breakthrough album was "Fly By Night". 2112 is loaded with extremely talented musicianship. Neil is incredible on the drums, Alex shines on this album and displays his incredible guitar playing(Alex is the most underrated guitarist of all time). And Geddy's bass is thunderous, and his voice is what really draws your attention to this "mystical album". With this album, Rush proved they could out jam any band on the face of the earth! One of the many highlights on the album is, "Something for Nothing". A very powerful song. A passage to Bangkok is an interesting song, but very good as Alex sets the tone with his incredible guitar work. If your looking for a masterpiece of an album with incredible guitar work, drumming, bass and mystical vocals, then 2112 is your album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh My God Its Amazing!, Oct. 31 2003
This review is from: 2112 (Audio CD)
When I first got this I wasnt sure to expect. I was never a big fan of Rush before I bought this. Then I was hooked. I mean I could just sit and listen to Neil Pert play his drums for hours. He is truly one of the best drummers in the history of playing! But now on to the album.
I always kinda liked prog but never really owned any prog music that was worth a damn but this is truly one of the best albums of all time. The bands instrumental skills are just down right amazing. Geddys voice is origanal and can be picked out any where. 2112 is the best song on the album! It has every thing any music fan could ever want in a rock song. Every other song on the album is just amazing. This is one of those albums with out any flaws. This is concederd a concept album but I really cant see why, because most concept albums are not this good. To me this is Rush's best album nothing they ever did after this was as good, dont get me wrong Permanant Waves, and Moving Pictures were both great and amazing albums but none of them had the passion of this, and I think the song writing was at an all time high here on 2112. I would recomend this to new and old fans of Rush because it gives a good since of what the band was really about!

2112 (Deluxe Edition CD+Blu-ray)
2112 (Deluxe Edition CD+Blu-ray) by Rush (Audio CD - 2012)
Click for more info