4.0 out of 5 stars Back When The World Listened More Than Once
Published on June 2 2004 by D. Rausch

3.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful title track, but too much filler
While many Rush fans will regard rating 2112 at anything under five stars as heresy, I feel I must look beyond just the title track and evaluate the oft forgotten *other* five tracks on the album.
Published on Aug. 9 2003 by Evil Lincoln

4.0 out of 5 stars Back When The World Listened More Than Once, June 2 2004
This review is from: 2112 (Audio CD)
These days, 3 seconds seem like an eternity for the gullible masses who don't even bother if there's no simple hook to get perpetually drilled into their heads right from the get-go. I always knew there was a lot of substance to Rush. I just had the problem that many tend to have, that being with Geddy Lee's voice. Given that I am simply enamoured of Axl Roses's whinings and shriekings, that hardly seems fair, especially for such an intricate band such as Rush. Nonetheless, things are the way they are. For anyone who "respects" but can't "get into" Rush, make sure you understand that ESPECIALLY by today's standards, they may be somewhat of an acquired taste. And it's easy to look the other way...
But I've always WANTED to love Rush. They represent everything that is to be hailed about music; brains, talent, hard work, complex arrangements, and they ROCK. I knew I had to just buy an album, lock myself in a room, and listen to it over and over and over, and not come out until the epiphany.
It took forever, but allow me to gear myself towards prog/rock fans with similar issues: it's worth it.
2112 is a good starting point, as it is like listening to a symphony, a musical journey, more than just a collection of songs ready for radio. Thus, your mindset in the first place is much more open for a work like this. 2112 was made like some early Pink Floyd albums - one epic and a few songs to fill out the time. However, I don't call them "filler" - indeed, such tag-along-songs are more often than not, golden nuggets in and of themselves. Allow me to highlight the wonderful gem, "Tears." A wonderful, creative, and haunting melody floats over a very uniquely atmosphered soundscape. Tender, yet dark. For the most part, the other non-epic tunes here are general classic rock songs (not a bad thing).
But epics have a way of outdoing "general classic rock" - and so let us return to the nucleus of the review (and the album!). 2112 is a brilliant composition. The band really gels as musicians, with Alex Lifeson's thoughtful guitar playing being a perfect compliment to Neil Peart's unbridled sense of storytelling (oh and btw he plays drums PERFECTLY and may frustrate you to want to quit-fortunately I'm not a drummer). And what's scarier, the thematic events of "we have no need for ancient ways" /... "it doesn't fit the plan" have come into dangerous fruition with regards to the music industry's recent suppression of substance.
The most important concept in this review (which is one of the most important concepts about music, if I may be so bold), is that sometimes, patience is rewarded. I wanted in, so I listened over and over. If you give it a chance, you'll get lost in its world of greatness. If you dismiss this after a few spins, you never gave it a chance to stick in the first place.
So to end where I began, I'll skip the in-depth analysis of the music, simply because that's been done elsewhere many many times. What I can offer is the perspective of someone who didn't "live through" the 70's and had to get into prog backwards (Dream Theater and Queensryche are my roots). 2112 is a can't-fail album for anyone - the ["controversial"] singing doesn't even begin until a full length instrumental overture has revealed the piece's many themes. It's plenty of time to absorb the music and become involved. Once the vocals hit, they seem more like any other contributing instrument to a well-blended band, as opposed to a dominant force you just wish would "get out of the way" so you can appreciate the rest of it.
Regardless, there's much to appreciate. It's an understatement to say that without Rush/this album, much greatness would not have been able to draw influence from said entity. And although commercially, prog has seen better days, right here is why there's any hope at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars The big breakthrough for Rush, June 20 2004
Terrence J Reardon "Classic rock guru" (Lake Worth, Florida, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 2112 (Audio CD)
In March of 1976, Canadian rockers Rush released their fourth album entitled 2112. This album was seen as their make or break disc after the disappointing results of its predecessor Caress of Steel. When initially released, it was the first Rush album to crack the Top 100 but would not go Gold until the success of its successor A Farewell to Kings a year later as would the live disc released in 1976 All The World's a Stage. The epic 20 minute plus title suite kicks off the album. It tells the Brave New Worldish story of one man's quest to find change. One day, he discovers a guitar and shows it to the evil priests but they destroy the guys creation and then the guy takes his own life at the conclusion of the track over dejection and despair. Bassist/vocalist Geddy Lee's work on this track is amazing. Guitarist Alex Lifeson wails on this track and drummer Neil Peart is on fire. Also of note, this was the first Rush track to feature synthesizers on the intro. The second half features two more Rush composed tracks A Passage to Bangkok(a live staple for the next few years) and The Twilight Zone. Alex Lifeson's Lessons follows and is a great tune. Geddy's ballad Tears is beautiful and poignant with Hugh Syme on keyboards. The concluding Something for Nothing is a great track and reminds us that we have to work for success and don't get things handed on a silver platter. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Review For 5.1 Blu Ray Edition, Dec 23 2012
Stephen Bieth (Mississauga/ Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: 2112 (Deluxe Edition CD+Blu-ray) (Audio CD)
First off this is my fav. Rush record. They have made a few classic albums but this one was the first album of theirs I bought. The whole album is great but the first side with the full 2112 on it is a masterpiece. The 5.1 mix is some of the best ear candy that you will ever hear. This really is a record that was made for 5.1. As a surprise bonus they have done motion comics for each of the songs. The 2112 part takes you through the whole story. What a great idea for this format. This mix has nice range. I feel it is not part of the loudness wars going on right now (thank you MP3 people). The tracks are not overly compressed and the 5.1 mix is true to the original two track master. If you like Rush or if you have not heard them but like Progressive rock this is for you. If you are new to the world of 5.1 and want some ear candy to play on your new toy well this is the one!

5.0 out of 5 stars MASTERPIECE!, June 11 2004
This review is from: 2112 (Audio CD)
This is where I started my RUSH journey. I have been a fan for most of my life (30 years as long as they have been around). My older brother, Tom, was a fan of RUSH when I was born. I grew up listening to RUSH while Tom jammed along on his guitar. I used to beg him to play this album over and over. Today I am going to permanently mark my body with ink to honor RUSH and their 30 years of existence. I will emblazon my right arm with the bold black characters "R30" after their 30th anniversary tour logo. 2112 is RUSH's best album, and when I got a CD player for the first time in 1989 this was the CD I bought to play. ORDER IT AND YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A True Classic, June 18 2004
Christopher Heckmann "vthockeyplaya" (Annandale, Virginia United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 2112 (Audio CD)
As a new Rush fan, I had to decide which album I would buy first. So naturally I chose 2112. If a song is 22 minutes long, it's gotta be good. The opener, which is broken into sub-songs is a true masterpice. The best part of the album is when "Temple's of the Synix" kicks in about 4 minutes into 2112. The gutiars scream and Geddy's voice howls out in a pitch that no other human can reach "we've taken care of everything, the words you read, the songs you sing", my personal favorite line in any Rush song. The next 5 songs on the album are no 2112, but they're still pretty damn good. This is a must have for any classic rock fan.

3.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful title track, but too much filler, Aug. 9 2003
This review is from: 2112 (Audio CD)
The 20-minute title track is a pretentious, purposely un-commercial classic. It is the first time that Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson and Neil Peart seem to have sat down and honestly tried to write a cohesive musical story with other goals than just to make it time-consuming. "2112" is seven short-form songs strung together as one beautiful concept piece based on Ayn Rand's novella Anthem (true story: I read Anthem for the first time a few scant days before hearing "2112" for the first time- and I had no idea of the book's or the author's inspiration of the Rush. Imagine how freaked out I was!) Sometimes I wish the seven parts were divided up into their own separate tracks (like they are on the Different Stages live album), but if I listen to "Overture" and "The Temples of Syrinx," I'm usually sucked into the whole song, so it hardly matters. There's really nothing else I can really add to the rave reviews that this song has received.
Now, do you want to know something really surprising?
There are five other songs on this album!
Yes, believe it or not, there is a quintet of under-four minute tracks that make up the second side of 2112. Unfortunately, only one of them is worth listening to more than once. "A Passage To Bangkok" is a tongue-in-cheek adventure in search of the world's best...um, coffee. Yeah, coffee. The song has a great guitar riff and a passionate singing by Geddy, not to mention a killer guitar solo and a fun drumbeat.
Too bad the rest of the short pieces fall unbelievably short of that. "The Twilight Zone" has a great rhythm and really rocks musically, but the problem lies in Geddy's vocal delivery. It's too uneven for me to like it.
"Lessons" and "Tears" are just throwaway filler tracks. The only noteworthy thing about "Lessons" is it's Alex Lifeson's first (and last) time credited with Rush lyrics.
"Something For Nothing" seems to have gained the status of a minor classic. It stayed in Rush's live set for a while, and even appeared on two live albums and the Retrospectives greatest-hits compilation. And while it's a lot better than the three previous songs on the album, it's not worth listening to more than two or three times. "Something For Nothing" seems improvised, and it runs out of steam soon after it begins.
I guess I should say that I think 2112 is definitely worth the money. The title track and "A Passage To Bangkok" are enough to warrant a purchase. You might enjoy the remaining songs more than I did, but it's hard to argue that they're meant as anything other than filler. Their next release, A Farewell To Kings, was made up of nothing but top shelf, A+ material, so they learned a thing or two after this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, Jan. 13 2013
This review is from: 2112 (Deluxe Edition CD+Blu-ray) (Audio CD)
I ordered this CD + Bluray set for a friend of mine and he absolutely loves it. Rush fans, it's a must!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, Feb. 13 2014
This review is from: 2112 (Deluxe Edition CD+Blu-ray) (Audio CD)
The sound will blow you away. If you are a fan don't hesitate just buy this you won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Discover 2112 all over again!, Jan. 18 2013
The 5.1 Blu-ray is amazing, the comic is cool and some of the extras will make you cringe. 2012 was the year to get "Rushified"
[...] or [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars The VERY Best, Jan. 9 2013
Antonia M. Cameron (Mississauga, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 2112 (Deluxe Edition CD+Blu-ray) (Audio CD)
This is, bar none, THE VERY BEST RUSH ALBUM EVER. Period. They fell so very far after, say, A Farewell to Kings. For true fans, the is THE ULTIMATE RUSH SYMPHONY. Every song is so outstanding. Truly one of the best Rush albums ever. You know, if you like that sort of thing. An album without compare. Enough said.

2112 (Deluxe Edition CD+Blu-ray)
2112 (Deluxe Edition CD+Blu-ray) by Rush (Audio CD - 2012)