Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage Personal Care Cook Kindle Music Deals Store Cycling Tools

Taken 2 (Unrated) [Blu-ray + DVD] (Bilingual)
Format: Blu-rayChange
Price:$19.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

I knew nothing about Taken when it was released in 2008, but it proved to be one of the best action movies I had ever seen. There was just enough information about the characters to care about them, and the action was intense and rather elegant.

That shouldn't surprise me because Luc Besson and Robert Mark Kamen wrote the script. Besson had previously grabbed my attention with Léon: The Professional, which is one of the best action movies ever made. La Femme Nikita was another notable triumph. I mention all that to explain why I was already sold on the idea of Taken 2 as soon as it was announced.

So, did it meet my lofty expectations?

The opening scenes were something of a surprise with Bryan Mills (Neeson) interacting with his ex-wife, Lenore (Janssen), and daughter, Kim (Grace) extensively. I like that we are shown how Mills has grown closer to Lenore. In the original movie, she was cold and spiteful, but the two are clearly on better terms now that Mills has used his skills to rescue Kim from her kidnappers. It made perfect sense and rang true for me.

The plot is simple. If you remember Marko from the first movie, you'll probably know that he was part of an Albanian gang. In Taken 2, Marko's father is obsessed with avenging the death of his son. He's not interested in why Marko was killed, or that he was guilty of many crimes, he's only interested in seeing Mills killed. When Mills takes Lenore and Kim on vacation to Istanbul, Marko's father instructs his gang to capture Mills and his family. He partly succeeds, but Kim escapes.

The opening setup is quite long and thorough, and I remember thinking that more than half the audience were probably anxious to see Neeson get on with the task of eliminating the opposition in as many unique and violent ways as possible. However, once the action starts, it's relentless and intense. We see car chases, shootouts, fights, threats, brief torture, and a rapidly increasing body count.

Mills wants Kim to stay out of danger, but eventually enlists her help. I'm half expecting a sequel called 'Miss Taken.'

It's unrealistic to expect a movie of this nature to be completely plausible. After all, the basic premise is that a 60-year-old man is capable of defeating gangs armed with automatic weapons. The method Mills uses to escape his kidnappers is so simple that I have to wonder why he didn't do it about 30 minutes earlier, but I'll forgive that.

The ending was quite inventive, and paves the way for another sequel should Neeson and the cast want to reprise their roles a third time.

I did have a few minor complaints, such as the kidnappers talking in English when it's obvious that they would stick to Albanian. Another minor annoyance was the use of shaky cam shots throughout most of the intense action scenes. There's a fine line between adding excitement and losing track of the events on the screen. The line was crossed a few times.

Overall, I was happy with Taken 2. It delivered more of what I liked about the first movie and added depth to the relationships between the main characters. I don't think it's quite as good as Taken because we now know what Mills is capable of, and some of the pleasure of the first movie was seeing Mills demonstrate his unique set of skills for the first time.

Taken 2 definitely works better if you have seen the first installment. Some of the actions and dialogue are direct references to events from the first movie, and you will miss some of the humor if you aren't aware of past events.

Fans of Taken will be more than happy with this worthy sequel.

Two things to remember:

1) Never agree to go on vacation with Bryan Mills.
2) If Neeson uses your taxi cab, you probably won't see it in one piece again.
on November 9, 2012
I loved this movie. Liam Neeson proves yet again he can be an amazing actor at almost any genre. I won't discuss what happens in the movie so I don't ruin it for anyone that hasn't seen it yet, but it is just like the first movie full of action.

If you havn't seen the first Taken movie I would strongly reccommend seeing it prior to watching this second one as the second movie continues on where the first one left off. But no matter what, if you enjoyed the first Taken movie you will be blown away with the second one.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Based on the screen appeal of Liam Neeson and the sex slave trade in Eastern Europe, we give you "Taken 2." In Eastern Europe the action takes place shorty after Bryan Mills (Liam) went "walking tall" all over them to save his daughter in the first feature. They are burying their dead and vow revenge. Yes, slave traders love their children too. In the US, the action takes place at some time in the future from the first film. Liam's ex-wife Lenore (Famke Janssen) is now separated from her husband and daughter Kim (Maggie Grace) with whom Bryan has built a solid relationship by rescuing her from slave traders, is slightly ungrateful as she would now rather spend time with her boyfriend Jamie (Luke Grimes) then let dad give her much needed driving lessons.

In order to make it easy on the script writers, Bryan and family travel to Istanbul. In spite of Liam's alertness, savvy, and being a lean mean fighting machine, his ex-wife is not and they are "taken" because "Kidnapped" has been used as too many film titles. Armed with a cell phone with a Turkish SIM card, a shoe lace, and some government issue grenades, Kim goes McGyver on them to save the family.

Definitely lacks the intensity of the first film.

Parental Guide: No f-bombs, sex, or nudity.
on May 16, 2014
Another GREAT movie ---would recommend to all who like action and drama. You will have to take my word I love it
Liam Neeson always one of the best
on April 28, 2014
In this film, it is Neesom and his wife who are kidnapped, and his daughter must try and find and release them. When she finally releases Neesom, the action really heats up as he hunts down the people who have his wife. Again, some great fight scenes, with some cute comedy thrown in.
on April 26, 2014
Not a bad movie and I enjoyed it. Not as good as the first but pretty good for a sequel. I will watch anything with Liam Neeson in it as he is an excellent actor.
on April 18, 2014
Great movie, good value, good watch. Exactly what we were after. We continue to watch Amazon for deals like this.
on April 2, 2014
Bought this as a gift for my son. He already had part 1 and he really enjoyed it. Amazon is a great site.
on March 25, 2013
Now Liam Neeson is a very versatile actor there is no question about that but it seems very strange
for a director to go with a very unusual concept such as this one does he know how many bad guys
have been killed by good guys i hope this don't start a trend.now i guess his sons is going to be
coming after him in taken 3.or maybe he's going to train his daughter how to kick the carp out of
the bad people and she can take over the role that is not finished as you can tell.now i have to say
watching the Black Ops unrated version on this blu-ray disc is the best version. i love the way they tell
you how much miles he's travelled and every thing that the Black Ops do to bring down the bad guys.
and every thing about the suite-case he was carrying it was so interesting to the map route that's always
on the screen.so there's three versions of this movie on the disc.i don't know if some people have found that out
as yet you have to go to the Extras and you will see Black Ops the unrated version press enter and it will play
the whole movie.Oh did say i love the movie Oh yes i did.
2.40:1. Aspect Ratio.
on March 17, 2013
DVD reçu dans les délais avec enveloppe adéquate. Emballage sous blister et qualité de lecture parfaite.
Merci pour rapidité et sans les frais à régler à la livraison.